The Wisdom of Sirach/Ecclesiasticus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that Martin Luther removed books from the bible has been contested for quite some time. You may wish to look further to find Luther didn't remove per say 7 books from the bible. Some sources claim the number to have been 14.

Instead, he moved certain books to a different part of the bible. Protestants know these books to be called the Apocrypha. Which appeared in the 1611 version of the King James bible. Catholics refer to these books as the Pseudepigrapha. Luther also did not remove the book of James from the NT.
Sorry i meant that he wanted to... There were a few he wanted to remove including Hebrews and James, but didn't.

Will need to research more

Reactions: Pythagorean12

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would say the majority of people should stick to the Bible. It is already set up perfectly...

But something just occurred to me while I was writing this:

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...

I think that is meant to include other scriptures too (possibly)
My favorite outside the bible is 1 Enoch!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. That's why I'm here at present. I'm fasting, and boredom is my worst enemy. But if there's one thing you won't be around here, it's bored. It's like the true "Temple of Doom." You might get something really good out of it, but the situation is dangerous in so many ways, Lol.

635508537-indiana-jones-funny-pictures.jpg
Lol!!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is anyone else having trouble getting straight answers from Google? Especially Biblical questions.

It seems like the algorithms are made to not give you a decent source. It is like it is skirting around a bit.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about the other 2?;)
It's a shame the only bible to date that includes the writings of Enoch are those related to the Ethiopian church.
I'm glad it was there! I went to visit a friend one night. As I sat down at her dining table, she left the room to get us some drinks. I noticed a bible on the table in front of me. I hadn't touched a bible in more than ten years.
I flipped it open and started reading. As I watched, the words jumped up off of the page and when they were in front of my face, "Poof!" I was standing under a clear, moonlit, star-filled night sky, looking out across a distance of perhaps a half mile.
There was an army on horseback that stretched to the horizon! The army was riding on clouds. I was aware of someone standing to my right, though I wasn't able to look to see who it was.
My gaze was directed out into the army and as my sight was zoomed in, I saw that the riders were carrying weapons. My gaze was then directed to the front line of the army where I saw that instead of weapons, the riders were carrying musical instruments. My gaze was then directed to an individual and I saw that it was me! (I'm a worship leader)
Poof! I was back at my friend's table.
Later in my life I started walking with the Lord and had read the book of Jude many times, though I'd never connected the vision with vvs 14 and 15.
25 years later, in April 2014, the Lord led me to read 1 Enoch ch 1 (R.H. Charles translation) and when I got to verse 9, I saw that it was describing the vision.
So 1 Enoch is special to me. Enoch is not something I'd recommend the young in the Lord or unstable to read, though I believe much, if not all of it is inspired. It is strong meat meant for those mature enough to digest it. Shalom.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Avoid Google. Go to DuckDuckGo.
I'm avoiding DuckDuckGo too, because of that racial hiring thing. Using qwant but sometimes just have to jump around because the results aren't the best.

I don't know if the results are bad or because the internet is triggering for me and I can't focus, but I am not finding answers.

See this is why I need a house with actual paper books

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would say the majority of people should stick to the Bible. It is already set up perfectly...

But something just occurred to me while I was writing this:

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...

I think that is meant to include other scriptures too (possibly)
@FluffyYellowDuck It's fair to say - exact to say - that it's Scripture that is God-breathed. Other, general wisdom might at times be helpful but by definition isn't God-breathed, and thus does not carry God's authority.

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The idea that Martin Luther removed books from the bible has been contested for quite some time. You may wish to look further to find Luther didn't remove per say 7 books from the bible. Some sources claim the number to have been 14.

Instead, he moved certain books to a different part of the bible. Protestants know these books to be called the Apocrypha. Which appeared in the 1611 version of the King James bible. Catholics refer to these books as the Pseudepigrapha. Luther also did not remove the book of James from the NT.
It's interesting that the so called Protestant Apocrypha has even more books that the ones used by the Roman Catholic Church.

However, just because it's professedly Protestant, doesn't mean it's Biblical.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck It's fair to say - exact to say - that it's Scripture that is God-breathed. Other, general wisdom might at times be helpful but by definition isn't God-breathed, and thus does not carry God's authority.
Have you read Sirach, @farouk? It was part of the Bible.

If you haven't and you want to take a peek, here is a link... Someone else may know of a better translation.

If you can find something that doesn't match up with what the Bible says, I'm definitely interested. We should analyze some things.

Bible Gateway passage: Sirach 1 - Good News Translation

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Have you read Sirach, @farouk? It was part of the Bible.

If you haven't and you want to take a peek, here is a link... Someone else may know of a better translation.

If you can find something that doesn't match up with what the Bible says, I'm definitely interested. We should analyze some things.

Bible Gateway passage: Sirach 1 - Good News Translation
Even in those editions of the King James which contained the Apocrypha - including Sirach / Ecclesiasticus - it is stated in the 39 Articles that they "[do] not apply them to establish any doctrine". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirach

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even in those editions of the King James which contained the Apocrypha - including Sirach / Ecclesiasticus - it is stated in the 39 Articles that they "[do] not apply them to establish any doctrine". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirach

Glancing through the 39 Articles right now and it looks like it was not established until 1563 by the Anglican church... The KJV appears to have not come out until 1611.

From what I can tell, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like it existed in scripture before that time and before Jesus, and 2/3rds seemed to be included in the Greek Septuagint.

Isn't that would the NT writers and Jesus would have read?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Glancing through the 39 Articles right now and it looks like it was not established until 1563 by the Anglican church... The KJV appears to have not come out until 1611.

From what I can tell, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like it existed in scripture before that time and before Jesus, and 2/3rds seemed to be included in the Greek Septuagint.

Isn't that would the NT writers and Jesus would have read?
There's no evidence that the Lord Jesus accepted the Apocrypha as Scripture.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no evidence that the Lord Jesus accepted the Apocrypha as Scripture.
Right but it being apocrypha would have been a concept later on in the 16th century.

If Jesus himself read from the Septuagint and it was included, the concept of "apocrypha" wouldn't exist

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right but it being apocrypha would have been a concept later on in the 16th century.

If Jesus himself read from the septuigant and it was included, the concept of "apocrypha" wouldn't exist
If it wasn't the inspired Word of God in the first place, no later label would alter the situation.