The woman caught in Adultery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:3-11 Now the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in the act of adultery, and after placing her in the center of the courtyard, [4] they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the very act of committing adultery. [5] Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?” [6] Now they were saying this to test Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. [7] When they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” [8] And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. [9] Now when they heard this, they began leaving, one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman where she was, in the center of the courtyard. [10] And straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” [11] She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on do not sin any longer.”

My husband brought up a good question this morning. Where is the man caught in adultery with the woman? To me this is significant because of reading on sites of comments with why God’s word is offense. One thing that is brought up on those sites (of why God is sexist) is the man is exempt and it’s always the woman for example the woman raped in the OT who didn’t cry out.

Where is the man caught in adulterous acts with the woman they wished to cast stones at?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:3-11 Now the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in the act of adultery, and after placing her in the center of the courtyard, [4] they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the very act of committing adultery. [5] Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?” [6] Now they were saying this to test Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. [7] When they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” [8] And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. [9] Now when they heard this, they began leaving, one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman where she was, in the center of the courtyard. [10] And straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” [11] She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on do not sin any longer.”

My husband brought up a good question this morning. Where is the man caught in adultery with the woman? To me this is significant because of reading on sites of comments with why God’s word is offense. One thing that is brought up on those sites (of why God is sexist) is the man is exempt and it’s always the woman for example the woman raped in the OT who didn’t cry out.

Where is the man caught in adulterous acts with the woman they wished to cast stones at?
Because that wasn't the point of the encounter, it was a trap to get Jesus, not to bring a judgment. Ask this, how was she caught in the very act, unless the woman had been set up too. That's why the man wasn't there. Every sign in John's gospel has a deeper meaning. Two things stand out, 1. Jesus was writing on the ground and 2. the men left one by one, from the eldest to the youngest. let's see what scripture says>

Jeremiah 17:13 - O LORD, the hope of Israel, All who forsake You shall be ashamed. "Those who depart from Me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters"

Jesus wrote the sin that each individual man did on the ground from the eldest to the youngest and each man was ashamed of themself.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because that wasn't the point of the encounter, it was a trap to get Jesus, not to bring a judgment. Ask this, how was she caught in the very act, unless the woman had been set up too. That's why the man wasn't there.
If she was caught in the act then obviously the man would have been there.

But still today there is that blame of women who are raped or seduced and even now there are certain places where a raped woman will be punished by death.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If she was caught in the act then obviously the man would have been there.

But still today there is that blame of women who are raped or seduced and even now there are certain places where a raped woman will be punished by death.
Sure the man was there, but he was in on the plot to get Jesus. Its called entrapment.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A question a friend asked me is where did they find the woman to bring to Jesus in the first place?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sure the man was there, but he was in on the plot to get Jesus. Its called entrapment.
Oh right, so how does that work? Did the religious leaders get a man - maybe even pay him - to have sex with this woman so that she could be trapped into adultery? If so they caused both of them to sin. If you find evidence of that anywhere in your bible please will you quote chapter and verse 'cos I must have missed it. Or it could just be conjecture and supposition with absolutely no substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

A Patriarchal society exonerates men and blames women or children. It is helpful to understand this emphasis, wrong though it is. Jesus made it clear that women have equal value.

Reactions: Hepzibah and Mr E

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,
My post will be a little long because there is some background information that is necessary to be able to understand the message that Christ is teaching in the story.

The story of the woman caught in adultery is a "type" which teaches a spiritual message. It is not a story simply about forgiveness. It is a story about the pathway to salvation.

So why is only the woman accused of adultery?

First, I need to explain how the spiritual symbol "woman" is used in scripture.

A "woman" is used in three different ways in three analogies:

1). The marriage analogy where she represents the Bride of Christ
2). The birthing analogy where she represents "mankind" who gives birth to the child of God.
3). The analogy where she represents mankind's carnal nature.

To understand the 3rd analogy, we must go back to the creation of Adam and Eve and understand what Adam and Eve represent.

MIND + SPIRITUAL NATURE = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

This formula is the same as:

ADAM + EVE = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

It can also be understood as:

MAN + WOMAN = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

The terms I used in the formulas are synonymous with each other.

Here is one more point that needs to be stated before I explain the spiritual message of the "woman taken in adultery":

When Adam was created, he was given a "weak" spiritual nature. It other words, it was "marred":

Jer 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Because Adam's spiritual nature was weak, his body of flesh soon governed it, making his spiritual nature "carnal". Because Adam's spiritual nature became carnal, so did Adam's mind. Now mankind's formula looks like this:

CARNAL MIND + CARNAL NATURE = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

When Satan came to Eve in the Garden of Eden, he did so to show that Satan tempts mankind through their carnal nature (symbolized by Eve, the woman).

NOTE: When a believer is converted, their carnal nature will be destroyed and replaced with a new spiritual nature that is governed by the Holy Spirit and not the flesh. The Holy Spirit is powerful and will not give into the desires of the flesh. When Christ came into the world, He came in a physical body exactly like Adam's but His spiritual makeup was different. Christ came with the "full measure" of the Spirit which made His spiritual nature strong and only desiring to please His Father. That is why Christ said:

John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Because Christ was always lead by the Spirit of God that was within Him, Christ never gave into the temptations of the flesh or those of Satan. This is why Christ never sinned. But since mankind has a carnal nature, we sin frequently.

Now back to Adam and Eve; when Eve (carnal nature) gave into sin, she caused Adam (mind) to sin as well.

This takes us to the 1st analogy (marriage analogy) I presented above. When Adam was created in the Garden of Eden, he was married to Christ. But after Adam gave into his carnal nature (which gave into the temptation of Satan) and sinned, Christ divorced Adam because he committed adultery with Satan.

These verses relate to this concept:

1Cor 7:33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

1Tim 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman
(carnal nature analogy) being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing (the birthing analogy), if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Because mankind's carnal nature (the woman) is the one who was deceived, the carnal nature (the woman) is the one who is guilty of the transgression (sin). Since the penalty of sin is death, mankind's carnal nature must die. This death will happen from Christ's judgment. But before that death occurs, Christ will give us a new spiritual nature governed by the Holy Spirit. This is what makes us a "new creation" and is what it means to be "born again". After we have a new spiritual nature, our carnal mind will slowly die and be replaced with the mind of Christ.

John the Baptist is a "type" for the Old Man (the head, the mind). He said this:

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

This change from the carnal mind to the mind of Christ is a slow process and occurs as we increase in the knowledge of God and from Christ's chastisement of us. This happens after we are converted when the old carnal nature is destroyed and replaced with a new spiritual nature.

This verse below applies to the chastisement of Christ:

Isa 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the (new) earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

The symbol "earth" is a synonymous term with "woman" (carnal nature). The old earth represents the carnal nature and the new earth represents the new spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit. In the verse, it is talking about the new earth in a converted person. The chastisements of Christ come from the new earth (Holy Spirit) and those judgments will teach the mind (new heaven, mind of Christ) of the person righteousness. After the Old Man (carnal mind) is completely destroyed, the person will be like Christ and will only walk by the Spirit. This is the "first resurrection" mentioned in Rev 20:5.

Back to Adam and Eve:

Spiritual adultery happens when we believe Satan over Christ. In other words, we take on a new head.

This formula applies:

CHRIST (HEAD) + MANKIND (BODY) = ONE FLESH/CHILD OF GOD

But after we sin, it changes to this:

SATAN (HEAD) + MANKIND (BODY) = ONE FLESH/CHILD OF THE DEVIL

That's should be enough background information. I will now present the spiritual message that the story of the woman taken in adultery teaches. I will do so in my next post.

Joe

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,

Here is a verse by verse teaching of the story:

John 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

In the first three verses of the story, a woman is said to have been caught in the act of adultery. This event “typed” when Adam & Eve were caught in the act of adultery with Satan in the Garden of Eden.

The woman (marriage analogy applies) was then delivered to the Pharisees who were responsible for the administration of the Law. The Law says that the penalty for her adultery is death. When Adam & Eve committed adultery in the Garden of Eden, they, too, were judged by the Law and were given the penalty of death (both spiritual and physical).

However, since Christ is now ready to restore His marriage relationship with the woman, He will gather her with “great mercies”:

Isa 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. 6 For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God. 7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

John 8:6
This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

Christ’s act of writing in the ground represents Him pouring out the Early Rain of the Spirit on the woman. By doing this, He is writing His Law of the Spirit in her heart.

This verse applies:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The verse above is referring to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith which is Christ’s spiritual covenant. Under the New Covenant, Christ will perform all the necessary “works” to restore the woman to Himself. And since it is a spiritual covenant, He will write his Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

After Christ first writes in the earth, the Pharisees continue to accuse the woman. They do this because the woman still remains under the Law after having received the Early Rain of the Spirit. She remains under the Law because the Early Rain is not sufficient to stop her from committing adultery with Satan. In other words, she does not have the ability to approach Christ strictly by faith alone yet. She is still compelled by her carnal nature and the deceptions of Satan to mix in her own “works” with faith. She tries to serve two masters, both Satan and Christ (Mat 6:24).

By continuing in her adultery, she falls away from faith and remains under the Law. For this reason, the Pharisees do not drop their stones but continue to accuse her.

John 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In verse 8, Christ stoops down a second time and writes His Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman again. This act represents the Latter Rain of the Spirit.

It is at this point that Christ heals the woman’s spiritual blindness and she comes out from Satan’s deceptions. At this time, she begins to walk by faith alone and as a result, the Law can no longer accuse her. After this change from the Old Covenant of Law to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith, the Pharisees drop their stones and leave.

The woman (the Elect) has now been made into a Chaste Virgin again and is ready for the wedding to take place. After the wedding takes place, the woman’s marriage relationship with Christ is restored.

Joe

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dear VictoryinJesus,
Now, to answer your question more directly; the woman caught in adultery is a symbol for the Elect (both men and women) who will become the Bride of Christ. The man she commits adultery with is Satan.

Joe

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have a question about the formulas

Can see your point but also what of:

Adam + Eve= A Living Soul
Yet Christ + His Body = a Life Giving Spirit?
To me that says “A Life Giving Spirit” because wherever His Spirit is there is, the adding of Life. Which Life He gives to His body. Meaning Christ giving unto His body is(=) a Life giving Spirit. Point being our added to Him does not make the body a life giving Sprit(as if we did anything), but His dying for us while we were yet dead in our sins makes our being Made Alive unto God …Him the giver unto His body, Life giving Spirit.

Are they the same?
Adam + Eve= sin unto death?
Christ + His body= obedience unto Righteousness (Life).

When Adam was created, he was given a "weak" spiritual nature. It other words, it was "marred":

Something that stands out to me is:
1 Corinthians 6:16-17 What? know you not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. [17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Head +body = one
Where does the flesh come in? I look at it as with my mind and my heart …either I serve God or man. But why did Paul say with His mind and heart he served the Law of God but with his body he served the law of sin? His body crucified with Him? Is that too confusing what I’m asking?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

Christ’s act of writing in the ground represents Him pouring out the Early Rain of the Spirit on the woman. By doing this, He is writing His Law of the Spirit in her heart.

This verse applies:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The verse above is referring to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith which is Christ’s spiritual covenant. Under the New Covenant, Christ will perform all the necessary “works” to restore the woman to Himself. And since it is a spiritual covenant, He will write his Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

After Christ first writes in the earth, the Pharisees continue to accuse the woman. They do this because the woman still remains under the Law after having received the Early Rain of the Spirit. She remains under the Law because the Early Rain is not sufficient to stop her from committing adultery with Satan. In other words, she does not have the ability to approach Christ strictly by faith alone yet. She is still compelled by her carnal nature and the deceptions of Satan to mix in her own “works” with faith. She tries to serve two masters, both Satan and Christ (Mat 6:24).

By continuing in her adultery, she falls away from faith and remains under the Law. For this reason, the Pharisees do not drop their stones but continue to accuse her.

John 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In verse 8, Christ stoops down a second time and writes His Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman again. This act represents the Latter Rain of the Spirit.
I do like this. Right now I don’t have the time to truly read it slower. I will have to come back later tonight and read it closer. I like it though because I’ve always looked at it from the perspective that Jesus was writing their sins one the ground, the sins of her accusers. Which convicted them and they left. But I love what you have shared because to me, now that you’ve pointed it out…that Jesus was writing his laws within heart heart fits His character and nature so much more. More than writing their sins. More than taking an account of their sins. love the perspective that He was stooping to write within her heart. I’ll have to really consider the perspective you shared. Thank you.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The scripture of Jhn 7:53 through Jhn 8:11 is omitted in thePeschito Syriac New Testament” along with numerous critical Greek Text and Manuscripts.

Some text contain the record, but place it in a different location. ….It is difficult to know what is what, but it does not cause any overall contradiction to scripture …..

Although, if it is kept in the current place of John… it (by its context) would add an extra day to (events that occurred at) the feast of Tabernacles.

One added note: Years ago, at a research seminar someone discussing this account stated (I think from verse 8:9) that the conviction, with the article, indicated that at one time or another each of those accusers had sex with the woman. I have never spent the time to validate that statement …. although it’s entirely possible.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question about the formulas

Can see your point but also what of:

Adam + Eve= A Living Soul
To me that says “A Life Giving Spirit” because wherever His Spirit is there is, the adding of Life. Which Life He gives to His body. Meaning Christ giving unto His body is(=) a Life giving Spirit. Point being our added to Him does not make the body a life giving Sprit(as if we did anything), but His dying for us while we were yet dead in our sins makes our being Made Alive unto God …Him the giver unto His body, Life giving Spirit.

Are they the same?

Something that stands out to me is:
1 Corinthians 6:16-17 What? know you not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. [17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Head +body = one
Where does the flesh come in? I look at it as with my mind and my heart …either I serve God or man. But why did Paul say with His mind and heart he served the Law of God but with his body he served the law of sin? His body crucified with Him? Is that too confusing what I’m asking?
Dear VictoryinJesus,
You asked:

This is how I understand mankind's spiritual makeup:

I use this verse below for the definition of a living soul:

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

BODY (dust from the ground) + SPIRIT (breath of life) = A LIVING SOUL

The Spirit consists of:

MIND + SPIRITUAL NATURE = SPIRIT

So a more detailed formula would be:

BODY + (MIND + SPIRITUAL NATURE) = A LIVING SOUL

It is the spirit that gives life but it needs a body to have consciousness. That is why when we die, our body returns to dust and the spirit returns to God. In that state, we are dead and have no consciousness. When the resurrection occurs, we receive a new body which will give us life and consciousness again. That is why the resurrection from the grave is so important. The common belief that we have consciousness without the resurrection from the grave is wrong. Only the bodily resurrection from the grave will give us life and consciousness again and that event for mankind is still future and will only happen at the end of this age.

As for your comments on Christ + Body = a living spirit, I assume you are talking about a resurrected child of God.
In that case, I would use:

CHRIST (the Head, Mind of Christ) + SPIRITUAL NATURE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT = A LIVING SPIRIT (A CHILD OF GOD)

I use this verse:

1Cor 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

A living soul relates to having a physical body. A quickening (living) spirit relates to having a spiritual body.

Scripture also says that Christ is the Head of the church which is the body.

CHRIST (HEAD, HUSBAND)+ CHURCH (BODY, WIFE) = A LIVING SPIRIT

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

You also asked:
Are they the same?

I don't see those formulas used that way in scripture but in some sense, they are true.

You asked:
Head +body = one

The way the scripture is translated makes it a little difficult to understand what Paul is actually saying.

Here is what he said:

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

The phrase "another law in my members" is talking about his physical body that wars against his mind trying to control it. In other words, the flesh wants to control our mind so that we only satisfy the needs of the flesh. And since mankind was made spiritually weak, mankind became "carnal" and only looks to please the flesh. This is why mankind sins. For mankind, the "law in my members" has priority over the "law of God" as long as a person remains spiritually weak. For new believers who only have the Early Rain of the Spirit, the Spirit is not given in enough measure to conquer their carnality. They will remain unconverted. That is why a believer needs both the Early and Latter Rains of the Spirit to be converted.

When Paul says "with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin", all Paul is saying is that when the flesh (carnality) is in control, we serve the law of sin. When the mind of Christ is in control, we serve the law of God. The temptations of the flesh are always going to be presence as long as we have a body of flesh. But when we have the Spirit of God (both Early and Latter Rains) within us, it will give us the spiritual strength to only obey the Law of God - and to get there, Christ uses the slow spiritual process of chastisement as I described in my first post.

I hope this helps.

Joe

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do like this. Right now I don’t have the time to truly read it slower. I will have to come back later tonight and read it closer. I like it though because I’ve always looked at it from the perspective that Jesus was writing their sins one the ground, the sins of her accusers. Which convicted them and they left. But I love what you have shared because to me, now that you’ve pointed it out…that Jesus was writing his laws within heart heart fits His character and nature so much more. More than writing their sins. More than taking an account of their sins. love the perspective that He was stooping to write within her heart. I’ll have to really consider the perspective you shared. Thank you.
Dear VictoryinJesus,
Paul says to "compare spiritual things with spiritual" (1Cor 2:13). Christ says that His words are spirit (John 6:63) so His words are "spiritual things". To understand Christ's spiritual words, we must look to see how they are used elsewhere in scripture just as Paul says to do.

When we look for any mention of God writing anything in scripture, it is when He writes the Law. For believers who are going through the conversion process under the New Covenant, Christ writes the Law in their hearts.

After Christ writes in the earth the first time (represents the Early Rain), the new believer will remain carnal and unconverted. This will leave the believer under the Law which condemns them. That is why the Pharisees do not drop the stones at that point. The believers who only have the Early Rain make up the apostate churches of the world - that's approx. 2,000 different denominations and sects who call themselves Christian. And within those same apostate churches are the "few" believers who have been chosen for salvation in this age. At this point, they are unconverted and no different than any other unconverted believer. But with them, Christ will "come again" before they die and write in the earth a second time. They are considered blessed.

For the "many" believers who are only called but not chosen, Christ will not come to them a second time. This is how Christ saves only the "few" who have been chosen and how He leaves the "many" unsaved who are called but not chosen.

Mat 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

The Latter Rain of the Spirit is what the Apostles received on the Day of Pentecost and is what Paul received after being in Damascus for three days. Most believers think that this is the same baptism what they have received, too, but they have not. Everyone must start with the Early Rain of the Spirit. The Early Spirit is what gives a person a measure of faith and a few spiritual gifts. This is when they will first call Jesus "Lord" and when they will enter the church. But because they remain unconverted and carnally minded, Satan has no problem causing them to accept His lies which are pleasing to their carnal natures. Satan does this via the spirit of anti-Christ. After a new believer is deceived by Satan, they will accept his "another gospel" and will fall from grace. Paul calls this fallen away believer a "man of sin". Christ says that they have been made "worse than the first" (Mat 12:43-45).

All believers will fall away but only the Elect will be restored by Christ before they die. This happens when Christ comes to them a second time with the Latter Rain. It is clearly taught by the marriage analogy in scripture.

Joe

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you recall when Judah's daughter-in-law Tamar became pregnant (by him) and before the man responsible (him) was identified, he ordered for her to be burned to death as punishment. (Genesis 38)

In that patriarchal society, there was a double-standard. It's not God who is sexist. He doesn't differentiate between the man or woman, but says "Do not commit adultery." The wiggle-room was invented by men, for men.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,
You asked:

This is how I understand mankind's spiritual makeup:

I use this verse below for the definition of a living soul:

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

BODY (dust from the ground) + SPIRIT (breath of life) = A LIVING SOUL

The Spirit consists of:

MIND + SPIRITUAL NATURE = SPIRIT

So a more detailed formula would be:

BODY + (MIND + SPIRITUAL NATURE) = A LIVING SOUL

It is the spirit that gives life but it needs a body to have consciousness. That is why when we die, our body returns to dust and the spirit returns to God. In that state, we are dead and have no consciousness. When the resurrection occurs, we receive a new body which will give us life and consciousness again. That is why the resurrection from the grave is so important. The common belief that we have consciousness without the resurrection from the grave is wrong. Only the bodily resurrection from the grave will give us life and consciousness again and that event for mankind is still future and will only happen at the end of this age.

As for your comments on Christ + Body = a living spirit, I assume you are talking about a resurrected child of God.
In that case, I would use:

CHRIST (the Head, Mind of Christ) + SPIRITUAL NATURE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT = A LIVING SPIRIT (A CHILD OF GOD)

I use this verse:

1Cor 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

A living soul relates to having a physical body. A quickening (living) spirit relates to having a spiritual body.

Scripture also says that Christ is the Head of the church which is the body.

CHRIST (HEAD, HUSBAND)+ CHURCH (BODY, WIFE) = A LIVING SPIRIT

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

You also asked:
Are they the same?

I don't see those formulas used that way in scripture but in some sense, they are true.

You asked:
Head +body = one

The way the scripture is translated makes it a little difficult to understand what Paul is actually saying.

Here is what he said:

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

The phrase "another law in my members" is talking about his physical body that wars against his mind trying to control it. In other words, the flesh wants to control our mind so that we only satisfy the needs of the flesh. And since mankind was made spiritually weak, mankind became "carnal" and only looks to please the flesh. This is why mankind sins. For mankind, the "law in my members" has priority over the "law of God" as long as a person remains spiritually weak. For new believers who only have the Early Rain of the Spirit, the Spirit is not given in enough measure to conquer their carnality. They will remain unconverted. That is why a believer needs both the Early and Latter Rains of the Spirit to be converted.

When Paul says "with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin", all Paul is saying is that when the flesh (carnality) is in control, we serve the law of sin. When the mind of Christ is in control, we serve the law of God. The temptations of the flesh are always going to be presence as long as we have a body of flesh. But when we have the Spirit of God (both Early and Latter Rains) within us, it will give us the spiritual strength to only obey the Law of God - and to get there, Christ uses the slow spiritual process of chastisement as I described in my first post.

I hope this helps.

Joe
To me it speaks of the heart and mind out of which comes our perspective and desires. My understanding is there is a collective heart and mind that wants to vilify God and oppose Him, where it’s their own selves they oppose, rejecting good. I’ve been this. But then there is also a need to renew the heart and mind not warring against Christ but encouraging Him.

I do see some of the formulas you speak of but I see others too. Another could be where Paul spoke of: me + you =my joy and glory in the presence of God. So I’m wondering if why the man is never present but only “the woman” is accused …has nothing to do with blasting women with sexism…but God speaks of “the woman” as this mind and heart against God. Is there any truth to those itching to stone the woman caught in adultery was themselves a part of the whole body of the woman caught in Adultery? As the “adulterous woman” much like Saul who zealously consented to Stephens stoning. Just thoughts. my husband said until women can see that God wasn’t attacking them but “the woman” is an analogy that includes both men and women, they continue to see God as a villain. I do think he has a good point.

I once hated the ritual in the Old Testament where the woman suspected of adultery is brought to the priest and made to drink the bitter water. Now it’s one of my favorite passages in the whole Bible. I was thinking about this the other day…not a single one of us could drink the bitter water and not be found guiltless. Not a single one. Except for the mercy and saving grace of God.

A test for women suspected of adultery: "If any man's wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him...and there is no witness against her since she was not caught in the act...then the man shall bring his wife to the priest...[who] shall make her take an oath, saying, 'If no man has lain with you, if you have not turned aside to uncleanness while under your husband's authority, be immune to this water of bitterness'... When he has made her drink the water, then, if she has defiled herself...[the water] shall enter into her and cause bitter pain, and her womb shall discharge, her uterus drop, and the woman shall become an execration among her people. But if the woman has not defiled herself and is clean, then she shall be immune and be able to conceive children." (Israel above is free!) Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Romans 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A test for women suspected of adultery: "If any man's wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him...and there is no witness against her since she was not caught in the act...then the man shall bring his wife to the priest...[who] shall make her take an oath, saying, 'If no man has lain with you, if you have not turned aside to uncleanness while under your husband's authority, be immune to this water of bitterness'... When he has made her drink the water, then, if she has defiled herself...[the water] shall enter into her and cause bitter pain, and her womb shall discharge, her uterus drop, and the woman shall become an execration among her people. But if the woman has not defiled herself and is clean, then she shall be immune and be able to conceive children." (Israel above is free!) Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Romans 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
See…the first time reading this about the adulterous woman brought to the Priest and made to drink the bitter water…I said “what a scary ritual God! It sounds like Satanic worship and the rituals of demons” because I only saw the woman as a gender. I thought God promoted women as cattle or a possession or as “weak vessels”, this passage of woman put on her knees and made to drink was offensive to me.

Until I saw Christ in the “if she be free”
And saw …this isn’t a passage about gender favorites …it’s declaring a way…it’s declaring a body as a whole under the definition of “the woman” caught in adultery. And there is love there in “she shall be free from the curse.” Also is “she shall be a curse among her people.” All things spoken to Israel.

…lol that they (the Pharisees and religious) as good as acknowledged Jesus Christ as the High Priest in bringing an adulterous woman “caught in the act” to him. As the adulterous woman is taken to the High priest…they also took her to Jesus Christ. I guess to see what He would do. I found the woman dragged to the High Priest, put on her knees and made to drink bitter water as …abuse of females. Funny how the word calls followers of Christ “sheep” and I have not seen anyone complain or get offended as being referred to as cattle. But I was offended as if Women were nothing more than cattle or a possession…but I had no qualms about being “a sheep”. Nobody wants to be a goat. That all changed (all the offensive woman talk) when I began to really see God is not sexist. It was my perspective changing of the adulterous woman and the drinking of the bitter water that took a passage that was offensive and turned it (changed it)into “beautiful” God’s revealing of and “she shall be free from the curse” and no longer “a curse among the people”. Same as perspective of “a sheep”. If a sheep is nothing more than cattle, then …Lol and here comes the Pharisees bringing Jesus Christ a woman caught in the act of adultery, missing the point that the Word was speaking to Israel as the woman; Either a curse among her people or she shall be free and conceive seed. Reminds me of the passage Matthew 21:38-43 But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, 'This is the heir. Come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.' [39] And they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. [40] When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?" [41] They said to him, "He will put those wretches to a miserable death and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons." [42] Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: "'The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; this was the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes'? [43] Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr E

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me it speaks of the heart and mind out of which comes our perspective and desires. My understanding is there is a collective heart and mind that wants to vilify God and oppose Him, where it’s their own selves they oppose, rejecting good. I’ve been this. But then there is also a need to renew the heart and mind not warring against Christ but encouraging Him.

I do see some of the formulas you speak of but I see others too. Another could be where Paul spoke of me + you =my joy and glory in the presence of God. So I’m wondering if why the man is never present but only “the woman” is accused …has nothing to do with blasting women with sexism…but God speaks of “the woman” as this mind and heart against God. Is there any truth to those itching to stone the woman caught in adultery was themselves a part of the whole body of the woman caught in Adultery? As the “adulterous woman” much like Saul who zealously consented to Stephens stoning. Just thoughts. my husband said until women can see that God wasn’t attacking them but “the woman” is an analogy that includes both men and women, they continue to see God as a villain. I do think he has a good point.

I once hated the ritual in the Old Testament where the woman suspected of adultery is brought to the priest and made to drink the bitter water. Now it’s one of my favorite passages in the whole Bible. I was thinking about this the other day…not a single one of us could drink the bitter water and not be found guiltless. Not a single one. Except for the mercy and saving grace of God.

Dear VictoryinJesus,
You asked:
Is there any truth to those itching to stone the woman caught in adultery was themselves a part of the whole body of the woman caught in Adultery?

Christ teaches his truth by His spiritual language. That language utilizes the Greek and Hebrew languages but it changes the meanings of the key words. Those words are "spirit" words or as I usually say, they are spiritual symbols. The word "woman" is a spiritual symbol. In Christ's spiritual language, the woman can represent the Elect as in the marriage analogy, the carnal nature or finally, the mother who gives birth to a child of God.

In the story of the woman taken in adultery, the marriage analogy applies to the woman so she represents the Elect. She will become the Bride of Christ.

So the answer to your question is no. The Pharisees who want to stone the woman only represent the Law of Moses in the analogy being used.

One thing that is common to do is to see more meaning in a "type" than what is being taught. The additional meaning may be "true" but it just isn't being taught in that verse or "type".

So in the story, if the woman represented the carnal nature, this is would be true that the woman also applies to the Pharisees. But that is a different analogy and is not being used in this story.

You said:
As the “adulterous woman” much like Saul who zealously consented to Stephens stoning. Just thoughts. my husband said until women can see that God wasn’t attacking them but “the woman” is an analogy that includes both men and women, they continue to see God as a villain. I do think he has a good point.

Yes, that is how carnally minded believers sometime understand it. Your husband does make a good point. The same is true of the symbol "Lake of fire". It does not mean literal fire. The word "fire" is a spiritual symbol which represents Christ's judgment. Christ would never burn people alive "for ever and ever" as the false Doctrine of Hell states. When Christ judges a person, He never omits justice, mercy and faith (Mat 23:23). This false understanding of "fire" also makes people see God as a villain or as a "hard man" (Mat 25:24).

You said:

You must be referring to Numbers chapter 5. Here is some of the key verses:

Num 5:16 And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD: 17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water: 18 And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

Num 5:24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

This story is a "type" which teaches a portion of the marriage analogy just as the woman taken in adultery does.

The word "water" is a spiritual symbol for a "spirit". It usually represents the Holy Spirit but it can represent the spirit of anti-Christ, too. In this story, it represents the spirit of anti-Christ. "Dust" represents mankind's carnality and the earthen vessel represent mankind. The uncovering of the woman head represents that Christ will no longer be her head. The "jealous offering" is mentioned in the story, too, to show that the Lord is jealous that the woman has lost her "first love" and has turned her devotion to Satan.

Here is the spiritual message that I receive from the story:

The story teaches the "falling away" of an Elect believer (the woman) after they have received the Early Rain of the Spirit. Falling away happens when a believer commits adultery with Satan and receives the spirit of anti-Christ within them. When they receive this bitter water ("another spirit", 2Cor 11:4) which is mixed with "dust", it turns her stomach (heart) bitter and brings her a curse (loss of salvation).

Thanks for pointing out this story in Numbers. It is a good compliment to the story of the woman taken in adultery.

Joe

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,
My post will be a little long because there is some background information that is necessary to be able to understand the message that Christ is teaching in the story.

The story of the woman caught in adultery is a "type" which teaches a spiritual message. It is not a story simply about forgiveness. It is a story about the pathway to salvation.

So why is only the woman accused of adultery?

First, I need to explain how the spiritual symbol "woman" is used in scripture.

A "woman" is used in three different ways in three analogies:

1). The marriage analogy where she represents the Bride of Christ
2). The birthing analogy where she represents "mankind" who gives birth to the child of God.
3). The analogy where she represents mankind's carnal nature.

To understand the 3rd analogy, we must go back to the creation of Adam and Eve and understand what Adam and Eve represent.

This formula is the same as:

It can also be understood as:

MAN + WOMAN = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

The terms I used in the formulas are synonymous with each other.

Here is one more point that needs to be stated before I explain the spiritual message of the "woman taken in adultery":

Jer 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Because Adam's spiritual nature was weak, his body of flesh soon governed it, making his spiritual nature "carnal". Because Adam's spiritual nature become carnal, so did Adam's mind. Now mankind's formula looks like this:

CARNAL MIND + CARNAL NATURE = A LIVING SOUL OR "ONE FLESH"

When Satan came to Eve in the Garden of Eden, he did so to show that Satan tempts mankind through their carnal nature (symbolized by Eve, the woman).

NOTE: When a believer is converted, their carnal nature will be destroyed and replaced with a new spiritual nature that is governed by the Holy Spirit and not the flesh. The Holy Spirit is powerful and will not give into the desires of the flesh. When Christ came into the world, He came in a physical body exactly like Adam's but His spiritual makeup was different. Christ came with the "full measure" of the Spirit which made His spiritual nature strong and only desiring to please His Father. That is why Christ said:

John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Because Christ was always lead by the Spirit of God that was within Him, Christ never gave into the temptations of the flesh or those of Satan. This is why Christ never sinned. But since mankind has a carnal nature, we sin frequently.

Now back to Adam and Eve; when Eve (carnal nature) gave into sin, she caused Adam (mind) to sin as well.

This takes us to the 1st analogy (marriage analogy) I presented above. When Adam was created in the Garden of Eden, he was married to Christ. But after Adam gave into his carnal nature (which gave into the temptation of Satan) and sinned, Christ divorced Adam because he committed adultery with Satan.

These verses relate to this concept:

1Cor 7:33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

1Tim 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman
(carnal nature analogy) being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing (the birthing analogy), if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Because mankind's carnal nature (the woman) is the one who was deceived, the carnal nature (the woman) is the one who is guilty of the transgression (sin). Since the penalty of sin is death, mankind's carnal nature must die. This death will happen from Christ's judgment. But before that death occurs, Christ will give us a new spiritual nature governed by the Holy Spirit. This is what makes us a "new creation" and is what it means to be "born again". After we have a new spiritual nature, our carnal mind will slowly die and be replaced with the mind of Christ.

John the Baptist is a "type" for the Old Man (the head, the mind). He said this:

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

This change from the carnal mind to the mind of Christ is a slow process and occurs as we increase in the knowledge of God and from Christ's chastisement of us. This happens after we are converted when the old carnal nature is destroyed and replaced with a new spiritual nature.

This verse below applies to the chastisement of Christ:

Isa 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the (new) earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

The symbol "earth" is a synonymous term with "woman" (carnal nature). The old earth represents the carnal nature and the new earth represents the new spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit. In the verse, it is talking about the new earth in a converted person. The chastisements of Christ come from the new earth (Holy Spirit) and those judgments will teach the mind (new heaven, mind of Christ) of the person righteousness. After the Old Man (carnal mind) is completely destroyed, the person will be like Christ and will only walk by the Spirit. This is the "first resurrection" mentioned in Rev 20:5.

Back to Adam and Eve:

Spiritual adultery happens when we believe Satan over Christ. In other words, we take on a new head.

This formula applies:

But after we sin, it changes to this:

That's should be enough background information. I will now present the spiritual message that the story of the woman taken in adultery teaches. I will do so in my next post.

Joe

Kind of.

You are on the right track, you just missed your exit.