The Women at The Well

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all know the story as we do many of the stories of Jesus' interaction. They are generally clipped and detail is scant. We are encouraged to think; to dig some so our perspective becomes richer. Here is a take which aids in that richness.

WOMAN AT THE WELL
HER STORY

Beverly Beem

THE WOMAN INTRODUCES HERSELF:
I don't know how you good folks could have heard about me, unless it was from that book that John wrote, the one about Jesus. You must have read it. Remember? "I am the Vine. I am the bread. I am the Way, the Truth, the Life." There's no doubt about it. It just grabs my heart.

And not the least of all because I am in it. Can you believe it? Me? Of all the hundreds of conversations that Jesus had, of all the thousands of people that Jesus met, John would tell about me. I can't hide the fact that I'm as pleased as punch about that.

But does something strike you a little strange about the way John tells my story? Did you notice? John is telling my story. And he leaves out my name! Thirteen times. Count them. Thirteen times he calls me "The Woman." You would think that just once he could slip in my name, like it would destroy the narrative flow or something.

Well, before we go any further, I want you to know my name. My mother did not call me The Woman at the Well. I have an old and honored name among my people. My name is Tamara.

I bet some of you know what this feels like. You don't have names either. You, too, are the Girl. The gal, the guy. But you know something, Jesus knew my name. And I am here to tell you about the day that I met Jesus.

COMING TO THE WELL:
I came to the well late that day. All right. So. I came to the well late that day. For twenty centuries, male commentators have been making hay over that. She came late to the well. Now, let's see How many reasons can you think of why a person might be running late? Do you want to hear what they come up with? I'll tell you. I have been collecting their comments for years. I've got a file. I don't mean to brag, but, well, the truth is, I am a bit of a scholar. So, here they are, why the woman was late to the well.

She's a social outcast.
She's too ashamed to be seen in public.
She doesn't get along with the other women.

And how can they say all this stuff about my character? Well, She's been Married Five Times. TSK. TSK.

Garbage. All of it. Slander is what it is. I want you to know that I am an important and influential person in my community. I have ideas about things, and I speak my mind. And people listen to me, too. Social Outcast. My hind foot.

Do you want to know why I came late to the well that day? I'll tell you.

It was Divine Providence. That's what it was. Have you ever read that in any of your commentaries? But think about it. The Word was made Flesh. Right? That's what John says. Well, I'm here to tell you that the Flesh was thirsty. Now, would the heavenly Father sit up there on his throne and let his Son dry up and blow away in the desert heat? I think not. So, he comes down, and he looks through all the city of Sychar, and he picks out me. And he guides me through my day until I arrive at just the right place at the right moment to give his Son a drink of water when he needs it. Stuff that in your commentaries.

These guys are just like the disciples. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they come back and find Jesus and me deep in conversation. Jesus is telling me things he has been trying to tell them for years. But they don't get it. They don't know what he's talking about. But I get it. I know what he's talking about. I had been studying the prophecies for years. All my life, I had been getting ready for this conversation.

But do they see any of that? They do not. All they see is "The Woman." And their brains spin into neutral. Their thought processes screech to a halt. They reach into their grab bag of stereotypes and pull out "Slut," and in a moment, they have me boxed, labeled, and shipped out the door.

But Jesus didn't put me in any box. He didn't slap me with any labels.

THE WOMAN MEETS JESUS:
I hardly noticed him at first. He was sitting by the well. Alone. Hot. The sun beating on his head. Thirsty. Clearly thirsty. I would gladly have given him a drink right then and there, but I didn't dare. I was a woman. I couldn't do anything to help him. Just to look at him could be taken as an insult. So, tough luck, man. I just fixed my gaze on the horizon and went about my work.

And then I heard his voice. He was speaking to me. I looked up. He was looking at me. And when my eyes met His, they didn't dart away.
"Give me a drink," he said. Just like that. Like it was the most natural thing in the world. He was thirsty. I had water. So... Give me a drink.

It took me a minute to recover myself. This man had just toppled two social barriers like the walls of Jericho to speak to me. No way was going to hand him a drink of water and watch him ride off into the sunset. I had to know who he was.

So I'm not shy. I come right out and ask him. "What's the deal? How come you a man, ask help from me, a woman? How come you, a Jew, speak to me, a Samaritan?"

You know, his eyes sort of brightened at my questions. He looked at me more intently, and while he drank water from my pitcher, he began to talk about God and worship. And the things that touched my heart. And the things that touched his heart.

And as we talked, I began to think, "This is no ordinary man." He must be a prophet." And then the more we talked, I began to think. "This is no ordinary prophet." And then, cold chills began to run up and down my spine. Is it possible? Could it be?

Well, there are some things you can't just come right out and ask. "Nice chatting with you, might you be the Messiah?"

So, I come at it obliquely. I can be quite diplomatic when I need to be. I make a side reference to the Messiah. I just toss it in, cool-like, into the conversation. I open the door just a crack and stand back to see what he will do. And he takes the door and throws it wide open. "I that speak unto you am he."
"I that speak unto you am he." Not: I who raise the dead. Or: I who heal the sick. Or: I who walk on water.

But, I, who speak to you. I, who knock down the barriers between men and women, between peoples. That is the I who is the Messiah.

Those were the last words he said to me. Just then, the disciples returned. And all the meaningful dialogue was at an end.

THE DISCIPLES RETURN:
Suddenly we were engulfed in this swarm of disciples. They just glared at me. With Jesus there, they didn't dare say a word; but oh, if looks could kill. Puzzled looks. Angry looks. Indignant looks that The Woman dare speak to their personal private Messiah.

I just glared back. It was not a Kodak moment. I know, I wasn't helping the situation any. I knew what I was supposed to do. I was supposed to cover my face and avert my eyes and hang my head in the face of this bank of masculinity. But you know. I just couldn't do that. I had spent the last hour looking on the face of Christ. I was now a disciple. And no one, not even another disciple, would ever make me hang my head.

So, I looked away from those hostile faces and turned my eyes on Jesus. Then it was my turn to drop my mouth open in amazement. This was not the same Man I had first seen at the well. I had seen a man slumped over in exhaustion. This man was charged with energy from head to toe. And his whole face was lit up with one huge grin.

And as I looked into his eyes. I saw him give me a nearly imperceptible nod, and I knew exactly what I had to do. I was not just a disciple. I was a commissioned apostle. I dropped my pitcher and ran full speed back to Sychar.

SYCHAR:

The first person I met was an elder of the city, an official in our temple. A good person, like me, waiting for the Messiah. "He is here," I said. "It has got to be him. It can be no other. You have to come and see for yourself. We all do. Everyone. You go to the North side of the city. I'll take the South side. We will meet in the center."

We didn't miss a soul. Up and down the streets we went, banging on doors, calling out to our neighbors. Over and over and over again, I told my story of how I met Jesus, of all he had said. "Come, the Messiah is here. You must hear him for yourselves."

And when I marched back to the well, I was leading the entire city of Sychar behind me. And you know what I was thinking? I am almost too embarrassed to tell you. But I was thinking "What if he's not there? What if he's gone?" What if the disciples have yanked him along on their journey? What if But I needn't have worried. He was at the well where I had left him, waiting for me and for whomever I might bring back with me. And when he saw me break over the horizon, with the entire city of Sychar.

JESUS AND THE WOMAN MEET AGAIN:
Once again Jesus and I met at the well. Once again Jesus and I were surrounded by a swarm of people. This time happy, laughing people, all eager to meet Jesus, all eager to hear him, to see him, to touch him and to be touched by him.

I introduced him to every person by name. He spoke each name. Held each hand. Looked into each face. Spoke to each heart. We couldn't let him go. We never did let him go.

I don't know when I will see Jesus again. It may well be in his kingdom I wish to thank Elaine Giddings from Andrews University who introduced me to

The Woman at the well and told me her name.

© 1999, Beverly Beem, Seasons of Faith, Pacific Press® Publishing Association, Nampa, Idaho.

Beverly Beem is professor and chair of the Walla Walla College English department, where she has taught since 1976.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all know the story as we do many of the stories of Jesus' interaction. They are generally clipped and much detail is scant. We are encouraged to think; to dig some so our perspective becomes richer. Here is a take which aids in that richness.
quietthinker..
I can't find the bucket in which to take from...
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hagar.

The origin of the Samaritans was as follows: After Shalmaneser (others say Esarhaddon, cf. Ezra 4:2, 10; but see Kautzsch in Herzog edition 2, as referred to under the preceding word), king of Assyria, had sent colonists from Babylon, Cuthah, Ava, Hamath, and Sepharvaim into the land of Samaria which he had devastated and depopulated (see Σαμάρεια, 1), those Israelites who had remained in their desolated country (cf. 2 Chronicles 30:6, 10; 2 Chronicles 34:9) associated and intermarried with these heathen colonists and thus produced a mixed race. When the Jews on their return from exile were preparing to rebuild the temple of Jerusalem, the Samaritans asked to be allowed to bear their part in the common work. On being refused by the Jews, who were unwilling to recognize them as brethren, they not only sent letters to the king of Persia and caused the Jews to be compelled to desist from their undertaking flown to the second year of Darius (Hystaspis) (), but also built a temple for themselves on Mount Gerizim, a place held sacred even from the days of Moses (cf. Deuteronomy 27:12, etc.), and worshipped Jehovah there according to the law of Moses, recognizing only the Pentateuch as sacred. This temple was destroyed by John Hyrcanus. Deprived of their temple, the Samaritans have nevertheless continued to worship on their sacred mountain quite down to the present time, although their numbers are reduced to some forty or fifty families. Hence, it came to pass that the Samaritans and the Jews entertained inveterate and unappeasable enmity toward each other.

Gen 16:6 But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face.
Gen 16:7 And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.
Gen 16:8 And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.
Gen 16:9 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.
Gen 16:10 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
Gen 16:11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.
Gen 16:12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.
Gen 16:13 And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?

Gen 21:14 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.
Gen 21:15 And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
Gen 21:16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
Gen 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
Gen 21:18 Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
Gen 21:19 And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.

Jhn 4:9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
Jhn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Jhn 4:11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
Jhn 4:12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
Jhn 4:13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
Jhn 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
Jhn 4:15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

Ishmael = "God will hear"

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Quote: "So, he comes down, and he looks through all the city of Sychar, and he picks out me. And he guides me through my day until I arrive at just the right place at the right moment to give his Son a drink of water when he needs it. Stuff that in your commentaries. "

Amen!
Thank You quietthinker!
HUGS

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all know the story as we do many of the stories of Jesus' interaction. They are generally clipped and detail is scant. We are encouraged to think; to dig some so our perspective becomes richer. Here is a take which aids in that richness.

WOMAN AT THE WELL
HER STORY

Beverly Beem

THE WOMAN INTRODUCES HERSELF:
I don't know how you good folks could have heard about me, unless it was from that book that John wrote, the one about Jesus. You must have read it. Remember? "I am the Vine. I am the bread. I am the Way, the Truth, the Life." There's no doubt about it. It just grabs my heart.

And not the least of all because I am in it. Can you believe it? Me? Of all the hundreds of conversations that Jesus had, of all the thousands of people that Jesus met, John would tell about me. I can't hide the fact that I'm as pleased as punch about that.

But does something strike you a little strange about the way John tells my story? Did you notice? John is telling my story. And he leaves out my name! Thirteen times. Count them. Thirteen times he calls me "The Woman." You would think that just once he could slip in my name, like it would destroy the narrative flow or something.

Well, before we go any further, I want you to know my name. My mother did not call me The Woman at the Well. I have an old and honored name among my people. My name is Tamara.

I bet some of you know what this feels like. You don't have names either. You, too, are the Girl. The gal, the guy. But you know something, Jesus knew my name. And I am here to tell you about the day that I met Jesus.

COMING TO THE WELL:
I came to the well late that day. All right. So. I came to the well late that day. For twenty centuries, male commentators have been making hay over that. She came late to the well. Now, let's see How many reasons can you think of why a person might be running late? Do you want to hear what they come up with? I'll tell you. I have been collecting their comments for years. I've got a file. I don't mean to brag, but, well, the truth is, I am a bit of a scholar. So, here they are, why the woman was late to the well.

She's a social outcast.
She's too ashamed to be seen in public.
She doesn't get along with the other women.

And how can they say all this stuff about my character? Well, She's been Married Five Times. TSK. TSK.

Garbage. All of it. Slander is what it is. I want you to know that I am an important and influential person in my community. I have ideas about things, and I speak my mind. And people listen to me, too. Social Outcast. My hind foot.

Do you want to know why I came late to the well that day? I'll tell you.

It was Divine Providence. That's what it was. Have you ever read that in any of your commentaries? But think about it. The Word was made Flesh. Right? That's what John says. Well, I'm here to tell you that the Flesh was thirsty. Now, would the heavenly Father sit up there on his throne and let his Son dry up and blow away in the desert heat? I think not. So, he comes down, and he looks through all the city of Sychar, and he picks out me. And he guides me through my day until I arrive at just the right place at the right moment to give his Son a drink of water when he needs it. Stuff that in your commentaries.

These guys are just like the disciples. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they come back and find Jesus and me deep in conversation. Jesus is telling me things he has been trying to tell them for years. But they don't get it. They don't know what he's talking about. But I get it. I know what he's talking about. I had been studying the prophecies for years. All my life, I had been getting ready for this conversation.

But do they see any of that? They do not. All they see is "The Woman." And their brains spin into neutral. Their thought processes screech to a halt. They reach into their grab bag of stereotypes and pull out "Slut," and in a moment, they have me boxed, labeled, and shipped out the door.

But Jesus didn't put me in any box. He didn't slap me with any labels.

THE WOMAN MEETS JESUS:
I hardly noticed him at first. He was sitting by the well. Alone. Hot. The sun beating on his head. Thirsty. Clearly thirsty. I would gladly have given him a drink right then and there, but I didn't dare. I was a woman. I couldn't do anything to help him. Just to look at him could be taken as an insult. So, tough luck, man. I just fixed my gaze on the horizon and went about my work.

And then I heard his voice. He was speaking to me. I looked up. He was looking at me. And when my eyes met His, they didn't dart away.
"Give me a drink," he said. Just like that. Like it was the most natural thing in the world. He was thirsty. I had water. So... Give me a drink.

It took me a minute to recover myself. This man had just toppled two social barriers like the walls of Jericho to speak to me. No way was going to hand him a drink of water and watch him ride off into the sunset. I had to know who he was.

So I'm not shy. I come right out and ask him. "What's the deal? How come you a man, ask help from me, a woman? How come you, a Jew, speak to me, a Samaritan?"

You know, his eyes sort of brightened at my questions. He looked at me more intently, and while he drank water from my pitcher, he began to talk about God and worship. And the things that touched my heart. And the things that touched his heart.

And as we talked, I began to think, "This is no ordinary man." He must be a prophet." And then the more we talked, I began to think. "This is no ordinary prophet." And then, cold chills began to run up and down my spine. Is it possible? Could it be?

Well, there are some things you can't just come right out and ask. "Nice chatting with you, might you be the Messiah?"

So, I come at it obliquely. I can be quite diplomatic when I need to be. I make a side reference to the Messiah. I just toss it in, cool-like, into the conversation. I open the door just a crack and stand back to see what he will do. And he takes the door and throws it wide open. "I that speak unto you am he."
"I that speak unto you am he." Not: I who raise the dead. Or: I who heal the sick. Or: I who walk on water.

But, I, who speak to you. I, who knock down the barriers between men and women, between peoples. That is the I who is the Messiah.

Those were the last words he said to me. Just then, the disciples returned. And all the meaningful dialogue was at an end.

THE DISCIPLES RETURN:
Suddenly we were engulfed in this swarm of disciples. They just glared at me. With Jesus there, they didn't dare say a word; but oh, if looks could kill. Puzzled looks. Angry looks. Indignant looks that The Woman dare speak to their personal private Messiah.

I just glared back. It was not a Kodak moment. I know, I wasn't helping the situation any. I knew what I was supposed to do. I was supposed to cover my face and avert my eyes and hang my head in the face of this bank of masculinity. But you know. I just couldn't do that. I had spent the last hour looking on the face of Christ. I was now a disciple. And no one, not even another disciple, would ever make me hang my head.

So, I looked away from those hostile faces and turned my eyes on Jesus. Then it was my turn to drop my mouth open in amazement. This was not the same Man I had first seen at the well. I had seen a man slumped over in exhaustion. This man was charged with energy from head to toe. And his whole face was lit up with one huge grin.

And as I looked into his eyes. I saw him give me a nearly imperceptible nod, and I knew exactly what I had to do. I was not just a disciple. I was a commissioned apostle. I dropped my pitcher and ran full speed back to Sychar.

SYCHAR:

The first person I met was an elder of the city, an official in our temple. A good person, like me, waiting for the Messiah. "He is here," I said. "It has got to be him. It can be no other. You have to come and see for yourself. We all do. Everyone. You go to the North side of the city. I'll take the South side. We will meet in the center."

We didn't miss a soul. Up and down the streets we went, banging on doors, calling out to our neighbors. Over and over and over again, I told my story of how I met Jesus, of all he had said. "Come, the Messiah is here. You must hear him for yourselves."

And when I marched back to the well, I was leading the entire city of Sychar behind me. And you know what I was thinking? I am almost too embarrassed to tell you. But I was thinking "What if he's not there? What if he's gone?" What if the disciples have yanked him along on their journey? What if But I needn't have worried. He was at the well where I had left him, waiting for me and for whomever I might bring back with me. And when he saw me break over the horizon, with the entire city of Sychar.

JESUS AND THE WOMAN MEET AGAIN:
Once again Jesus and I met at the well. Once again Jesus and I were surrounded by a swarm of people. This time happy, laughing people, all eager to meet Jesus, all eager to hear him, to see him, to touch him and to be touched by him.

I introduced him to every person by name. He spoke each name. Held each hand. Looked into each face. Spoke to each heart. We couldn't let him go. We never did let him go.

I don't know when I will see Jesus again. It may well be in his kingdom I wish to thank Elaine Giddings from Andrews University who introduced me to

The Woman at the well and told me her name.

© 1999, Beverly Beem, Seasons of Faith, Pacific Press® Publishing Association, Nampa, Idaho.

Beverly Beem is professor and chair of the Walla Walla College English department, where she has taught since 1976.

this isn't a study its a interpretation by some one who isn't necessarily a believer in Christ.

Reactions: DNB

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And yet Lord Jesus revealed the Samaritan woman, who was claiming to be of Jacob, was actually of the five pagan peoples from Babylon which the king of Assyria placed in the land when the ten northern tribes were vacated. Her five husbands represent those five pagan peoples from Babylon. This point is easy to miss because you have to pay attention to the sudden subject change between the John 4:16-18 verses and the John 4:19-23 verses.

Notice below how the subject abruptly changes from her five past husbands and the sixth husband to the subject of false worship, then true worship belonging to the Jews (i.e., Israel).

John 4:16-22
16 Jesus saith unto her, "Go, call thy husband, and come hither."
17 The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."
19 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, I perceive that Thou art a prophet.

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

21 Jesus saith unto her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
KJV

Then Lord Jesus begins to reveal true worship to her, which is actually not about the old covenant, nor any temple of stone. He pointed to the New Covenant...

John 4:23-26
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."
25 The woman saith unto Him, "I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when He is come, He will tell us all things."
26 Jesus saith unto her, "I that speak unto thee am He."
KJV

Because she showed belief in Messiah (Jesus) by prophecy of His coming, this represents an early pointer to the fact that God's Salvation through His Son Jesus Christ per The New Covenant would eventually go to Gentiles also.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's an expansion by one who sees how much they are loved!

you mean, its a rendering from someone who thinks to improve on scripture in their own judgment. kind a like converting a gospel song into a rock and roll song promoting views other then the original intent.

Reactions: DNB

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you mean, its a rendering from someone who thinks to improve on scripture in their own judgment. kind a like converting a gospel song into a rock and roll song promoting views other then the original intent.
No, I don't mean that. What I mean is, when the Holy Sprit touches a persons heart and they respond an amazing thing happens to their vision. We could site Paul's experience as an example. The lady who coined this story has allowed her experience of womanhood to inform her and see beyond the letter of the text. She not only gave us a fresh perspective on 'The Woman' but opened our understanding of Jesus by giving him the third dimension ie, touchable!

Reactions: Brakelite and Ziggy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's an expansion by one who sees how much they are loved!
It's extremely speculative and undocumented. It's fanciful, or even analogous, but nowhere near factual.
In other words, it's extremely precarious to read into a text, more than is warranted or intended.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I don't mean that. What I mean is, when the Holy Sprit touches a persons heart and they respond an amazing thing happens to their vision. We could site Paul's experience as an example. The lady who coined this story has allowed her experience of womanhood to inform her and see beyond the letter of the text. She not only gave us a fresh perspective on 'The Woman' but opened our understanding of Jesus by giving him the third dimension ie, touchable!
How in the world do you know that the 'Spirit' had anything to do with Beverley's interpretation? I would say, based on the extremely unfounded details of her message, that it came from anywhere but the Spirit.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's extremely speculative and undocumented. It's fanciful, or even analogous, but nowhere near factual.
In other words, it's extremely precarious to read into a text, more than is warranted or intended.
I suppose men need to put women in 'their place' !

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One day I was pruning a rose bush. I was quietly contemplating how the old branches needed to be pruned in order for the new branches to be able to have room to flourish.
I don't know where the thought came from but it helped me to understand cutting away the old man so the new man could grow.
That was some 8 years ago...
boy how time flys.

Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How in the world do you know that the 'Spirit' had anything to do with Beverley's interpretation? I would say, based on the extremely unfounded details of her message, that it came from anywhere but the Spirit.
This came to mind...."The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

Reactions: Brakelite and Ziggy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This came to mind...."The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
QT, you have to stop being so vague. You generalizations are not worth a thing, unless you can justify how they specifically point to the person and context that we are talking about.
Don't play loose with God's Word.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I liked the analogy. It helped me to understand how Gentiles like Ishmael were not forgotten.
That even though they were after the "flesh" rather than the "promise" he still kept his promise to Abraham's seed.
Both of them.
making one.
In him.
Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
QT, you have to stop being so vague. You generalizations are not worth a thing, unless you can justify how they specifically point to the person and context that we are talking about.
I'll ask you DNB, what is it you find objectionable with the story of 'The Women at the Well'? or perhaps I should ask; don't you have a story of when you met Jesus?

I'm surprised that you thought my quote from Jesus was vague. I thought it was very specific seeing the story of 'The Woman' was infused with 'Spirit'.......and besides playing loose with God's word, I would say it is playing loose by attempting to limit him to one's taste.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God doesn't confine Himself to your understanding of His scriptures. He doesn't even confine Himself to scripture. He won't contradict it of course, but there's a great deal going on in God's kingdom than is revealed in His word. And He does indeed inspire people and give them insight into things previously not revealed.