The word "antichrist" is NOT in the Book of Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and yes. Not every person has heard of Jesus. He can plead ignorance.
Why it matters to me. If it makes sense to you how you see it then I’m not trying to convince you other wise. This is my view by life and His word. For most of my life I had heard about Christ but I was ignorant of Him. I said I was Christian but I was ignorant. During that time of ignorance yes I can plea of ignorance and maybe I am still ignorant in many ways. But during that time I look back at my ignorance …being without God…not knowing Him…even though hearing I was neither for nor against God. I just wasn’t interested. Out from that I do see the spirit of the antichrist at work in that ignorance. I did things that destroyed others, I did things that wasted life, I did things all full of hatred, pride, arrogance, spite, mockery, starvation, out of thirst I lied, manipulated and used up everything. I had a major part in giving the spirit that is in and of the world to those I love or claimed to love. I have damaged from my choices and influence. I have planted things in others they will need major therapy or most of all they will need healing and help from God to overcome all the influences I had taken part in. So I don’t get how you say “ignorance” makes one not controlled by the spirit of antichrist. The spirit that is at work in a vessel of destruction. Saul said God forgave him because he did those things in ignorance. Saul persecuted Jesus Christ of Nazareth and imprisoned and bound those of faith…he was there when Stephen was stoned and consented to the blood shed of Stephen. “God forgave me for I was ignorant” are you saying those surrounding Stephen when he was stoned hating their brother crying “God doesn’t live in temples made with hands” or when Paul was persecuting the way of Christ …was not the spirit of the antichrist. But just the persons of ignorance?

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
when Paul was persecuting the way of Christ …was not the spirit of the antichrist
At this time, Paul denied Christ. Yes, he was an antichrist. There were plenty of them even after Paul's conversion as there are plenty of them today.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you in the habit of making claims without any scholarly supporting references? If you are, it is a bad habit.

So is obsessively demanding scholarly sources for an obvious statement of experience/opinion.

Everyone makes such claims, without even a lot of fuss, sometimes.

This is a public forum—not a seminary study hall.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:

There were many antichrists in John's time.

The word appears 5 times and only in John's epistles. This word is NOT found in the Book of Revelation, or Book of Daniel, or the Olivet discourse. Paul never used the term.

HELPS Word-studies

Who is an antichrist?

An antichrist could be a human being. 1 John 2:

An antichrist could be a spirit. 1 John 4:

2 John 1:

An antichrist is a liar and deceiver who denies the Father and the Son and that Jesus came in the flesh. There are plenty of those around in John's time and in our times. That's the concept of the antichrist according to John and he did not use this word in the book of Revelation. There is no need to glorify one single individual as THE AntiChrist on the last day as if he is the opposite equal of Christ. There will be plenty of them.

It is not healthy for a Christian to be more interested in the Anti-Christ than Christ.
Does it matter if the word "antichrist" isn't in the book of Revelation?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forum Terms & Rules:

I added the boldface.

I wonder why it wasn't originally in boldface.

To be clear, you're urging that opinions and experiences should either be banned, disregarded, or backed up with scholarly references.

Am I understanding the direction of your end of this conversation correctly?

Because, If you think that "scholarly" is the conclusive, driving force here at CyB:

:watching and waiting:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you're urging that opinions and experiences should either be banned, disregarded, or backed up with scholarly references
You are overgeneralizing. Can you quote my words to support your accusation? Perhaps you are in the habit of making accusations without support. Am I right?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and yes. Not every person has heard of Jesus. He can plead ignorance.
Paul did say God forgave him because he was in ignorance. Can a person be religious and heard of Jesus Christ, but still have not heard of Him?
At this time, Paul denied Christ. Yes, he was an antichrist. There were plenty of them even after Paul's conversion as there are plenty of them today.
See…unless I’m misunderstanding I thought you said there are those who have not heard of Him who are ignorant and they are neither of the spirit of the antichrist nor of the Spirit of God because they have not heard and are ignorant. To me Paul is an example of one can be religious and still they have not heard of Jesus Christ. “Lord who are you? I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you persecute.” I could be wrong but I think Paul would say the same that a person can heard of Jesus Christ but still have not heard of Jesus Christ. but Paul heard of Jesus Christ beginning with Stephens cries to God to not hold it against them.

Personally I think there is only two either following the voice of the antichrist (sin unto death) or the Voice of God(obedience unto righteousness: Life). Either lead to death. Or lead to Life. Either in darkness still. Or having passed from darkness into the Light. There doesn’t seem to be a third category of “person” I don’t think there is a third category of “persons” that are neither: having no spirit of influence whether it be to do harm or to not do harm. i don’t see what the benefit could be for a third group of persons unless to categorize them as nether affected by the spirit of the antichrist and neither affected by the Spirit of God.

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Personally I think there is only two either following the voice of the antichrist (sin unto death) or the Voice of God(obedience unto righteousness: Life.
1. People hear of Jesus and affirm he is Christ.

2. People hear of Jesus and deny he is Christ.

3. People never have heard of Jesus and plead ignorance.

4. People hear of Jesus and neither affirm nor deny he is Christ and plead non-commitment or neutrality.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are overgeneralizing. Can you quote my words to support your accusation? Perhaps you are in the habit of making accusations without support. Am I right?

And you're shifting goalposts. Just say that's not what you intended if that's not what you intended. Seeking clarity as to another's intentions doesn't constitute an accusation. Why is everyone so adversarial?

The discussion we've had so far is not that hard to follow.

Essentially:

I said (among other, more important things) that antichrist means "in the place of Christ."

You said "prove it with a Bible verse."

I said "Do we really need more than a dictionary to define a Greek word?"

You said "prove it without using my choice of fallacious argument."

I said "disqualifying your choice of fallacious argument is a popular dodge."

You said "prove that with a scholarly reference."

I said "scholarly, shmolarly; this is a community."

And you were off to the races with your scholarship obsession until you were able to parlay it into an accusation of accusation.

Did I miss something?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you're shifting goalposts.
Please quote my words before the shift and after. Do not overgeneralize and put words into my mouth. Stop making accusations without quoting my words. You seem to have trouble abiding by these basic scholarly principles. So far you just keep saying that I have not said.

Who do I go to to complain about this?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please quote my words before the shift and after. Do not overgeneralize and put words into my mouth. Stop making accusations without quoting my words. You seem to have trouble abiding by these basic scholarly principles. So far you just keep saying that I have not said.

I'll never bother you again.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. People hear of Jesus and affirm he is Christ.

2. People hear of Jesus and deny he is Christ.

3. People never have heard of Jesus and plead ignorance.

4. People hear of Jesus and neither affirm nor deny he is Christ and plead non-commitment or neutrality.
Ok

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know I said I'd leave you alone but it's my job to advise you that there's a link at the bottom of each post that says "Report." Clicking that will take you to a post-reporting form.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This per the word of God is antichrist;

1 John 2:​

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
21 I have not written unto you because ye know NOT the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? HE IS ANTICHRIST, THAT DENIETH THE FATHER AND THE SIN.
23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath NOT the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need NOT that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you all things, and is TRUTH, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Everyone outside of God's truth is antichrist ! The unction of the anointing which is the Holy Spirit teaches us the ways of Christ, to walk outside of him is walking in the spirit of antichrist.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Overcoming the Spirit of the Antichrist
Bible verses: 1 John 4:1-6
Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can know the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh belongs to God, and every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus* does not belong to God. This is the spirit of the antichrist that, as you heard, is to come, but in fact is already in the world. You belong to God, children, and you have conquered them, for the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They belong to the world; accordingly, their teaching belongs to the world, and the world listens to them. We belong to God, and anyone who knows God listens to us, while anyone who does not belong to God refuses to hear us. This is how we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of deceit.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis to Revelation without denominal or private interpretation of men.

If one walks in the Holy Spirit, he reveals all truth of God's word. John 16:13/14

One is either with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit or the are against him.John 3:4-8; John 10:30; John 14: 6

Those that walk outside of a personal relationship to God through his Son, Jesus, are living in unbelief.
John 3:18-20
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

The gift of salvation is a free gift of grace by God through our faith. Eph.2:8-10

There is acceptance of eternal life with God or rejection of unto eternal damnation. John 3:15-17.

The gospel message to be a joint heir with Christ, in God ,is too simple in it's plainness for some.

You are either with and for God in Christ or you are against him; therefore making all outside of him antichrists.