The word "antichrist" is NOT in the Book of Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 2:

18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.
There were many antichrists in John's time.

The word appears 5 times and only in John's epistles. This word is NOT found in the Book of Revelation, or Book of Daniel, or the Olivet discourse. Paul never used the term.

HELPS Word-studies

G500 antíxristos (from 473 /antí, "opposite to, in place of" and 5547 /Xristós, "Christ") – properly, opposite to Christ; someone acting in place of (against) Christ; "Antichrist."
Who is an antichrist?

An antichrist could be a human being. 1 John 2:

22 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son.
An antichrist could be a spirit. 1 John 4:

3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
2 John 1:

7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.
An antichrist is a liar and deceiver who denies the Father and the Son and that Jesus came in the flesh. There are plenty of those around in John's time and in our times. That's the concept of the antichrist according to John and he did not use this word in the book of Revelation. There is no need to glorify one single individual as THE AntiChrist on the last day as if he is the opposite equal of Christ. There will be plenty of them.

It is not healthy for a Christian to be more interested in the Anti-Christ than Christ.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:

The word appears 5 times and only in John's epistles. This word is NOT found in the Book of Revelation, or Book of Daniel, or the Olivet discourse. Paul never used the term.

HELPS Word-studies

Who is an antichrist?

2 John 1:

An antichrist is a liar and deceiver who denies the Father and the Son and that Jesus came in the flesh. There are plenty of those around in John's time and in our times. That's the concept of the antichrist according to John and he did not use this word in the book of Revelation. There is no need to glorify one single individual as THE AntiChrist on the last day as if he is the opposite equal of Christ. There will be plenty of them.

It is not healthy for a Christian to be more interested in the Anti-Christ than Christ.
From the other thread. Discussing it further here. Im not sure how you disconnect spirit/person saying sometimes it is one or the other? When even in a person it’s the spirit of …that is what drives the person for example to lie? Like with Judas in the other thread. Im not disputing many but when you say there was many in that time period…still “people” in plenty of those were liars …how do you disconnect what spirit lies? As if “people” are separate from the spirit of the antichrist instead of it is that spirit of the antichrist in people that lies

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:

HELPS Word-studies

Who is an antichrist?

2 John 1:

Our interest in the Antichrist is for the purpose of being protected from deception. It is as important as Jesus made it to be in the book of Revelation. Paul also drew upon the "Little Horn" of Dan 7, which he called the "Man of Sin."

John called the "Little Horn" the "Antichrist" because in Dan 7 he is portrayed as a figure leading a political repression and actual persecution of God's saints. He is trying to change God's laws. As such, he is leading an "apostasy," as Paul put it. John called this "Antichristianity," or "the Antichrist."

John indicated that as the Christians understood this Antichrist is coming at the end of the age, we are to be aware that this spirit is already present in the world, such that we should not just be prepared for THE Antichrist, but also be prepared for ANY Antichrist. Jesus said that there would be False Christs and False Prophets in his own time. Therefore, we need to be prepared for deceivers and deception at any time, exposing the darkness on behalf of those who wish to come to and live in the light.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that there is no difference between a spirit and a person?
I don’t know. Do you think a person can be neither of the spirit of the antichrist or of the Spirit of God? Like they are of neither?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Certainly not, but the true definition of an antichrist is one who assumes the place of Christ, and the best counterfeit is the one that most closely resembles the genuine. The danger of worshipping the first beast of Revelation 13 is very real and very, very close to transpiring. And he will qualify as the ultimate in antichrists.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Proof text, please?"
1. What do I need to prove? What is the claim that I need to prove? Please quote my words and state the proposition that I need to prove.

2. Do you know what is etymological fallacy?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do I need to prove? What is the claim that I need to prove? Please state the proposition that I need to prove.

I was just loosely quoting you, asking me for a proof text for a definition that you actually gave, yourself, in your own OP:

HELPS Word-studies
G500 antíxristos (from 473 /antí, "opposite to, in place of" and 5547 /Xristós, "Christ") – properly, opposite to Christ; someone acting in place of (against) Christ; "Antichrist."​
Who is an antichrist?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what is etymological fallacy?

Yeah, it's a term that's thrown out when folks don't want to consider etymological evidence.

1. You gave the definition, yourself. Why give evidence that you don't want to be considered?

2. John chose the word ἀντίχριστος

3. He also says that the first beast of Revelation is worshipped.

4. God in Christ alone is the object of all acceptable worship.

What am I missing here?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define antichrist
You didn’t answer my question of if a person can be neither of the spirit of the antichrist nor of the Spirit of God?

Define antichrist…to me it’s a spirit that wars against His Spirit. It’s a mind, a heart, a way that leads to death…of thoughts a lot of time out of pride, bitterness, unforgiving, vindictive, and blind in it can’t see beyond itself. Possibly The spirit of the antichrist blindspot, it can’t see beyond itself. A spirit of bondage. A spirit of fear unto bondage. We may say no there is no fear but the Pharisees feared their loss of position as authoritarian. Also there is the verse of he knows his time is short, and is enraged. I don’t think (Imo) that it is a single person “by a spirit of” influences of darkness, hatred…to kill steal and destroy not only physically but spiritually…mostly to steal kill and destroy Christ. To me wars against Christ is what the name says and describes …to be “anti” Christ. Which encompasses a lot. For example when Paul said if he destroyed or harmed a brother whom is weak in so doing he sins against Christ. That to me is “anti” Christ”. But Paul was “pro” Christ haven been given the Spirit which is of God; Charity, long-suffering, Patience, Mercy, Grace, and brotherly love which is not of the spirit of the Antichrist which the world gives unto you. I believe and as evidence by the things that did and do take place…the spirit of the antichrist is already at work in the world even in the disciples day and in the day of the Lord where they sought to kill him.

You asked is there no difference between a spirit and a person. That isn’t what I was suggesting but in …the spirit of a person. Which He even says “these are the works of the flesh” and “these are the Fruits of the Spirit” from the other thread. Maybe I misunderstood but I felt like you were saying :

sometimes the Antichrist is a spirit.

Sometimes the antichrist is people. As evidenced in liars, or those we see in the scriptures that were liars.

My only point of asking you about this is because, still, why are those separate? The spirit of a person? How does a person doing things to harm prove the antichrist is a person. Instead of the spirit of a person is still …the spirit of the antichrist that is at work bears liars? Does that make sense?

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You didn’t answer my question of if a person can be neither of the spirit of the antichrist nor of the Spirit of God?
According to John, an antichrist is a liar and deceiver who denies the Father and the Son and that Jesus came in the flesh.

A person can

1. affirm that Jesus is the Christ

2. deny that Jesus is the Christ

3. plead ignorance.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person can

1. affirm that Jesus is the Christ

2. deny that Jesus is the Christ

3. plea ignorance.

The spirit of the antichrist denies that Jesus is the Christ.

That Spirit of God affirms Jesus is Christ.

Jesus told them when they wanted to call down fire “you don’t know what spirit you are of.”

Do you think a person can be neither of the spirit of the antichrist nor of the Spirit of God? Can a person neither deny Christ nor affirm Christ?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you think a person can be neither of the spirit of the antichrist nor of the Spirit of God? Can a person neither deny Christ nor affirm Christ?
Yes and yes. Not every person has heard of Jesus. He can plead ignorance.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
reference? Please quote one scholarly reference to support your claim here.

Incredulity is a nice debate tool.

I'll pass, though. Smells like a rabbit hole to me.

I'd like to hang around and do some pseudo-intellectual sparring and wordsmithing with you, but...

I'm kinda in the middle of something.

Welcome to the forum, btw. :kiaora:

My signature explains my deplorable behavior here. ;)

If you find some free time and the inclination, these are some really nice (no kidding), free classes on hermeneutics and categories of theology:

There are others. This guy is pretty sharp, but he's not my mentor or guru or anything. I think he's the head of the divinity school at Loma Linda University now.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and yes. Not every person has heard of Jesus. He can plead ignorance.
So there is “persons” having not heard of Christ which have neither the spirit of the antichrist or the Spirit of God. But has no spirit but is simply a person without any spirit of for or against. whose lies but those lies do not come from the influences of the spirit of the antichrist but the person themselves of being of neither spirit; neither for or against Christ. It still doesn’t make sense to me. Jesus Christ cried out on the cross “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” Do you mean since they were ignorant in not knowing what they do …that the spirit of the antichrist was not at work in persons to mock, taunt “if you be the King”, give him vinegar to drink for his thirst and hang Him up? Are you saying since they were ignorant Jesus Christ Himself intervening to the Father “forgive them they know not what they do” because of ignorance it was the “person” and not the spirit of the person which was and is “anti” Christ?