"The word was a god"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely not a doubt I'm 100 % correct on the identity of the Son who is God ( Theos, YHWH ).

I would bet my eternity on that fact and eternal torment on it, would you ?

hope this helps !!!
I don’t bet it’s a sin.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t bet it’s a sin.
Where is it a sin ?

Got Scripture ?

Just another one of those misnomers people assume is true. And I'm not wagering money or at risk of losing anything that would hurt another person.

hope this helps !!!

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is it a sin ?

Got Scripture ?

Just another one of those misnomers people assume is true. And I'm not wagering money or at risk of losing anything that would hurt another person.

hope this helps !!!
Betting is gambling and gambling is a sin.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jehovah's Witnesses do no such thing, they simply tell the truth, that Jesus is the Son of God, that sits at the right hand of his Father.

Did they not teach you grammar in school on when and how to use capital letters or are you spelling that way to show disrespect?

John Paul,
All you and the JW's are doing is cheapening the love of God to the level of human Love by deny that Jesus is God. Abraham was ready to sacrifice his son, but the angel withstood him, this is human love and within the realm of human love for a brother. In war we see this human love expressed in the soldiers that sacrifice for their brothers in war.
God is Love, and he is the creator of all things as is Jesus (John 1:3). The creator dying for His creation is the ultimate picture of Love and what makes the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross "Godly love" (Agape) to begin with. To deny the deity of God is to cheapen the Love of God to brotherly love, creation dying for creation, (Phileo).

You, and the many JW's out there are missing out on the Love of God because of this as expressed so profoundly in the words of Isaac Watts...
  1. Alas! and did my Savior bleed
    And did my Sov’reign die?
    Would He devote that sacred head
    For such a worm as I?
  2. Was it for crimes that I had done
    He groaned upon the tree?
    Amazing pity! grace unknown!
    And love beyond degree!
  3. Well might the sun in darkness hide
    And shut his glories in,
    When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
    For man the creature’s sin.
  4. Thus might I hide my blushing face
    While His dear cross appears,
    Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
    And melt my eyes to tears.
  5. But drops of grief can ne’er repay
    The debt of love I owe:
    Here, Lord, I give myself away,
    ’Tis all that I can do.
    • Refrain (Hudson):
      At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
      And the burden of my heart rolled away,
      It was there by faith I received my sight,
      And now I am happy all the day!
Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed > Lyrics | Isaac Watts (timelesstruths.org)

Reactions: ChristisGod

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Paul,
All you and the JW's are doing is cheapening the love of God to the level of human Love by deny that Jesus is God. Abraham was ready to sacrifice his son, but the angel withstood him, this is human love and within the realm of human love for a brother. In war we see this human love expressed in the soldiers that sacrifice for their brothers in war.
God is Love, and he is the creator of all things as is Jesus (John 1:3). The creator dying for His creation is the ultimate picture of Love and what makes the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross "Godly love" (Agape) to begin with. To deny the deity of God is to cheapen the Love of God to brotherly love, creation dying for creation, (Phileo).

You, and the many JW's out there are missing out on the Love of God because of this as expressed so profoundly in the words of Isaac Watts...
  1. Alas! and did my Savior bleed
    And did my Sov’reign die?
    Would He devote that sacred head
    For such a worm as I?
  2. Was it for crimes that I had done
    He groaned upon the tree?
    Amazing pity! grace unknown!
    And love beyond degree!
  3. Well might the sun in darkness hide
    And shut his glories in,
    When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
    For man the creature’s sin.
  4. Thus might I hide my blushing face
    While His dear cross appears,
    Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
    And melt my eyes to tears.
  5. But drops of grief can ne’er repay
    The debt of love I owe:
    Here, Lord, I give myself away,
    ’Tis all that I can do.
    • Refrain (Hudson):
      At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
      And the burden of my heart rolled away,
      It was there by faith I received my sight,
      And now I am happy all the day!
Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed > Lyrics | Isaac Watts (timelesstruths.org)
I am not a Jehovah’s Witness, Jesus is not God but his son, nothing you or anyone can say will change my mind.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Debating on wether or not Jesus is God is a waste of time.

In order to be saved all you have to believe is that:

Jesus Christ came in the flesh.

Jesus died and rose again.

That Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God!

Period!

Now:

“Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.” (Romans 14:19)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnPaul

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Paul wrote Χριστόν in 1 Cor. 10:9, and Χριστόν does not appear in the Hebrew scripture. Here is Deut. 6:16 in the Septuagint:

οὐκ ἐκπειράσεις κύριον τὸν θεόν σου ὃν τρόπον ἐξεπειράσασθε ἐν τῷ Πειρασμῷ.

And even if Paul was translating directly from the Hebrew rather than simply quoting from the Septuagint (a rare event for Paul when citing to the OT), the fact remains that of all the words Paul could have used to render the divine name in the original Hebrew text differently from the way the Septuagint rendered it, the one he chose was Χριστόν. Christos. Christ.

I'm sorry, but the NWT has some big balls translating that word any other way.
You are so certain what Paul wrote. Do you have an original manuscript of 1 Corinthians? If he was quoting the Hebrew he would have used the Tetragrammaton. Even if he was quoting the Septuagint, in his time it would have used the Tetragrammaton. It was later when the church replaced the Tetragrammaton in the Septuagint.
But you are right about one thing. It takes a lot of courage to stand up against and expose the church.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re the expert you look it up.

Hope this helps.:D
Its not there which is my point its a man made " sin " not a biblical one.

Anything not done in faith is a sin. And My statement was based upon biblical facts and faith Jesus is God. So on my part there is really nothing to lose since its a surety. Its money in the bank so to speak. Its the gold standard- Fort Knox :)

hope this helps !!!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a Jehovah’s Witness, Jesus is not God but his son, nothing you or anyone can say will change my mind.

I Am not going to say a thing to convince you, that is the Job of the Holy Ghost (God with us). Here is the Word of God for you to perhaps lead to the conviction of the Holy Ghost...

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16

You will live all your life never having experienced agape Love denying that Jesus is God incarnate (In human form) (Hebrews 10:5-10)

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Am not going to say a thing to convince you, that is the Job of the Holy Ghost (God with us). Here is the Word of God for you to perhaps lead to the conviction of the Holy Ghost...

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16

You will live all your life never having experienced agape Love denying that Jesus is God incarnate (In human form) (Hebrews 10:5-10)
I don’t believe in ghosts they are a figment of a person’s imagination.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not there which is my point its a man made " sin " not a biblical one.

Anything not done in faith is a sin. And My statement was based upon biblical facts and faith Jesus is God. So on my part there is really nothing to lose since its a surety. Its money in the bank so to speak. Its the gold standard- Fort Knox :)

hope this helps !!!
If it’s not there then why ask me to show you?

There is no gold in Fort Knox it’s all a lie and they are just printing paper money with no backing, haven’t you heard?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is manifested in every believer. Just as God was manifested in Christ.

“Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.” (John 14:10)

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please help me to understand what is meant here. If Jesus was "a god" then He could be THE God or a false god. What else could this mean? How can Jesus be "a god"?
Aunty Jane explained what you need to know about the difference between The Theos and Theos. That difference is shown in these 2 translations.

James Moffatt New Testament
"THE Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine."

Goodspeed New Testament
"In the beginning the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was divine."

Moffatt and Goodspeed both show they see Theos in John 1:1c as descriptive as it lacks the definite article. That is what is understood by using “a god.”

Consider these commentaries.

Robert Young - Concise Commentary Commentary on the Holy Bible
“AND THE WORD WAS GOD,] more lit. ‘and a god (i.e. a Divine Being) was the Word’ that is, he was existing and recognized as such.”

"According, from the point of view of grammar alone,[theos en ho logos]could be rendered "the Word was a god." This leads me to affirm that one may not infer from [Colwell's]rule 2b that anarthrous predicate nouns which precede the verb are usually definite. Indeed, such nouns will usually be qualitative in emphasis."
Murray Harris - Jesus as God - The New Testament Use of Theos In Reference to Jesus (pg 312)

"There is a distinction in the Greek here between 'with God and ‘God'. In the first instance the article is used and this makes the reference specific. In the second instance there is no article and it is difficult to believe that it's omission is not significant. In effect it gives an adjectival quality to the second use of Theos so that
the phrase means 'The Word was divine.'"
The Translators New Testament.

It is true that the great majority of translations say the Word was God. The trinity has dominated Christianity for 1,600 years. It is deeply ingrained. But the real question is, what does the Bible really teach? Other “proof” texts for the trinity are either vague or disputed just like John 1:1. That Jesus is the Son of God is crystal clear.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please help me to understand what is meant here. If Jesus was "a god" then He could be THE God or a false god. What else could this mean? How can Jesus be "a god"?
My Bible doesn't include the article "a" before the word God. It just says, "The Word was God." I believe Jesus is God in flesh.