The Work of Faith: Hope of Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Be wary of how you take that word "command" its not a demand, it can put you so easily into "prison". but if you.

Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

than the rest will fall into place, leave it to Jesus, he is quiet capable if you let Him
Those two cover all the rest.
So I could live with that. Jesus was more specific though.
Even though no one really does do everything He said to do.

Reactions: mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those verses pertain to sons: that do have the Spirit, that do receive chastening, that do have a captain of their Salvation. How does that prove God has many children, but few sons? You are claiming God lost or abandoned some of His children by the wayside? And only a "few" of His children were chosen.
Now you are getting silly,

The eldest Son, first born received His fathers inheritance, does not mean teh others including daughters where rejected, they are still the fathers children.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
They did not enter into their inheritance= Promised land.
But ,I do not think they all "went to hell"...they were God's people!!

But, we each must believe what we believe , and what we think we see in the scriptures that God is saying 'to us'. :)
Fun aint it!
the problem with believing in anything other than God imo is that the believer must then close their minds to any further truth on the matter, as is evidenced in forums, even. Ppl say they "believe," but what they really mean is they "know" now; the def of "believe" has been turned into "know." Thus,

he who says he believes any thing does not yet believe as he ought to believe,

whenever that definintion obtains

Reactions: Richard_oti

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What like this one

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

or this one

Heb_12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb_12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

or this one

Heb_2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

or this one

Rom_8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

like we said, God has lots of children just few sons.

No. We are not all children of God. Only believers are the children of God. You left out the verses which show that children of God and sons of God are the same. Also, heirs with Christ. From Romans 8:

14. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16. The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17. and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together." (emphasis mine)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Now you are getting silly,

The eldest Son, first born received His fathers inheritance, does not mean teh others including daughters where rejected, they are still the fathers children.
Excellent observation.
Or "catch", as they say these days.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What's a spiritual dog?
Are you speaking about the Samaritans?
they would be an example, yes. Even mideasterners get attached to their dogs, although nothing like in the developed world; and i can't help but suspect that the Book is using this relationship perversely on purpose, as a contrast.

iow it is not literal dogs who are being condemned, but that dogs rep a spiritual symbology.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No. We are not all children of God. Only believers are the children of God. You left out the verses which show that children of God and sons of God are the same. Also, heirs with Christ. From Romans 8:

14. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16. The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17. and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together." (emphasis mine)
You know, not EVERY LITTLE IDEA is in the bible.
It took theologians to figure some things out.
Are you smarter than someone who studied theology, the study of God?

WHO created you?
Your mother and father?
What went into that creation? When the first sperm got into that egg, all the other ones stopped trying.

Think about that as you fall asleep tonight.
GOD MADE YOU.
If it wasn't for God, you wouldn't be here.
Whatever made you is your parent, and you are the child.
When you grow up and accept your responsibilities, you become a SON OF GOD.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And how they mixed the Jewish religion with that of Mesopatania?
funny you say this, the Abarim guy brings out how it was the Israelites who were actually the melting pot,, dunno if this is true or not, but he makes a decent case i guess
"All the families of the earth

Far from being an isolated depository of utterly alien dictums, Israel was the melting pot and refinery of the greatest traditions the world had come up with (Psalm 12:6). Israel was never intended to be anything other than a phenomenon from which every family mentioned in Genesis 10 would actively derive blessings, right away and from the "family-level" up (Genesis 12:3).

The word for "families" or "clans" occurs five times in Genesis 10 (also see Ephesians 3:15) and denotes the most rudimentary human organizational structure. Multiple families would synchronize into speaking one language. That language would cover a specific territory and that territory would determine the realm of the state that would eventually form. Hence Genesis 10 utilizes the formula of progression: "according to their families (משפחה, mishpaha), their languages (לשון, lashon), their lands (ארץ, 'eres), their nations" (גוי, goy). Long before it was formally established, Israel was an international project; a USA of its days, with myriads of cultural and economic tributaries:

Neither the general "house of Abraham" nor the specific "house of Israel" was racially pure — or said otherwise: racial purity is of absolutely no concern to the Bible (the Bible is only concerned with purity of thought and action; Deuteronomy 7, Deuteronomy 20:18). The covenant which the Lord cut with Abraham and of which Christ..."
The amazing name Abraham: meaning and etymology
about halfway down

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
they would be an example, yes. Even mideasterners get attached to their dogs, although nothing like in the developed world; and i can't help but suspect that the Book is using this relationship perversely on purpose, as a contrast.

iow it is not literal dogs who are being condemned, but that dogs rep a spiritual symbology.
The Samaritans were hated because they let themselves be affected by other religions. They inter-married during the conquests by the Babylonians and that other group, that doesn't come to mind right now.
The Greeks. Anyway, yes, they became unpure.
The Judaians also disliked the Galileans now that I think of it.
But they BOTH hated the samaritans.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
funny you say this, the Abarim guy brings out how it was the Israelites who were actually the melting pot,, dunno if this is true or not, but he makes a decent case i guess
"All the families of the earth

Far from being an isolated depository of utterly alien dictums, Israel was the melting pot and refinery of the greatest traditions the world had come up with (Psalm 12:6). Israel was never intended to be anything other than a phenomenon from which every family mentioned in Genesis 10 would actively derive blessings, right away and from the "family-level" up (Genesis 12:3).

The word for "families" or "clans" occurs five times in Genesis 10 (also see Ephesians 3:15) and denotes the most rudimentary human organizational structure. Multiple families would synchronize into speaking one language. That language would cover a specific territory and that territory would determine the realm of the state that would eventually form. Hence Genesis 10 utilizes the formula of progression: "according to their families (משפחה, mishpaha), their languages (לשון, lashon), their lands (ארץ, 'eres), their nations" (גוי, goy). Long before it was formally established, Israel was an international project; a USA of its days, with myriads of cultural and economic tributaries:

Neither the general "house of Abraham" nor the specific "house of Israel" was racially pure — or said otherwise: racial purity is of absolutely no concern to the Bible (the Bible is only concerned with purity of thought and action; Deuteronomy 7, Deuteronomy 20:18). The covenant which the Lord cut with Abraham and of which Christ..."
The amazing name Abraham: meaning and etymology
about halfway down
The above is not my answer to this.
It's my coffee time.
And I'm forgetting a lot. I'll answer this when I get back.
If I can...

Another reason it's good to be here. It helps me to remember things I used to teach, for goodness sakes!!!!
:eek:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Actually, mj is right.
We are all God's children. We're here because of Him.
But we are not all God's sons.
We have to want to be a son and choose God over the enemy.
you focus correctly here, inward, but others may not, see. Witness those who would presume to judge for others whether or not you are a son! Or whether they themselves are, for that matter
(insert "i am doing God's will i am doing God's will" here)

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
you focus correctly here, inward, but others may not, see. Witness those who would presume to judge for others whether or not you are a son! Or whether they themselves are, for that matter
(insert "i am doing God's will i am doing God's will" here)
Nobody does God's will !
We can only do our best.
Coffee!

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The Samaritans were hated because they let themselves be affected by other religions. They inter-married during the conquests by the Babylonians and that other group, that doesn't come to mind right now.
The Greeks. Anyway, yes, they became unpure.
ya, right, and the Israelites never did this, right
The Judaians also disliked the Galileans now that I think of it.
But they BOTH hated the samaritans.
ergo the perspective is likely more important than the reality, and we have our perspective of "Samaritan" thanks mostly to Christ i guess, Who presented quite a diff pitcher huh

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I guess you missed this bit

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

doesnt mean they chose too. So many want to be called sons, just few are willing to pay teh price.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
grace is a gift a free one given to those who will recive it,

Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

an inheritance is what a father has that is passed down to His son, and do you know who His sons are,

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

and

Heb_12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb_12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

like a said, God has lots of children just not many sons.
why quote me, if you are just going to talk around my post?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you missed this bit

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

doesnt mean they chose too. So many want to be called sons, just few are willing to pay teh price.

Bad guess.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, not EVERY LITTLE IDEA is in the bible.
It took theologians to figure some things out.
Are you smarter than someone who studied theology, the study of God?

WHO created you?
Your mother and father?
What went into that creation? When the first sperm got into that egg, all the other ones stopped trying.

Think about that as you fall asleep tonight.
GOD MADE YOU.
If it wasn't for God, you wouldn't be here.
Whatever made you is your parent, and you are the child.
When you grow up and accept your responsibilities, you become a SON OF GOD.

Matthew 13:24-30 KJV
[24] Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: [25] But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. [26] But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. [27] So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? [28] He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? [29] But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. [30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.