The Work of Faith: Hope of Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 1:3-5
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, [4] To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, [5] Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Reserved in heaven.
Kept by the power of God
To be revealed in the last time.

Salvation(to those whom it is reserved for) is "kept by the power of God" and "reserved" in heaven which means Salvation is not in our possession yet. Matthew 6:33 says, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Can we enter into the kingdom of God before the fullness and perfect man be revealed in Christ? Or do we wait? (Romans 8:25) But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

(Colossians 1:5) says "For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; [6] Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it , and knew the grace of God in truth:"

The gospel of truth entered the world; the Great I AM in a vessel of flesh prepared and brought forth fruit...fruit of the Spirit of God, including your hope and faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour. Faith does not come from our own straining to produce faith, but FAITH is a fruit produced by the Spirit and is an assurance to those that believe and hope in the Lord that they are indeed held and maintained by God for His Will and Purpose.

"Now faith is the substance (assurance) of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

1 Thessalonians 1:3-5
[3] Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; [4] Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. [5] For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

Patience, Faith, Hope...all work (fruit) of the Spirit.

(Romans 4)
"For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:"

For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

The righteousness of faith in Jesus Christ.

"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." The power of God, manifested and revealed in the death and resurrection.

"He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A table is set; a place card for each of the seats that are reserved; seats "kept by the power of God through faith." Our assurance of hope in the unseen; faith. "But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

Christ comes to tell those in the lower seats, "Friend, go up higher." (for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbledth himself shall be exalted.) The higher seats are all equal and level in height, not one seat above the other: Paul is no higher than you, Mary no higher than I, but all equal since the places are set and maintained by the righteousness of Christ, and not man's righteousness.

So, why do we already say we have Salvation but not glorification?

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 KJV
But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Put on "the breastplate of faith and love": put on the Spirit of Christ.

Why would we say we have Salvation in our possession? Why do we claim man maintains his own faith and hope, making the Spirit of God a helper only. So man can remain first and in control. "Hope of Salvation" explains Paul running a race to obtain the prize (Christ) at the finish. If that is the case, then, those that turn away before the finish line would not lose Salvation, but rather they never obtain Salvation to begin with. Would that not mean that no one has Salvation yet, but have HOPE of Salvation. "heaven forbid after I have preached the gospel, I become a castaway." Those that turn away are not and never were of God, otherwise they would not turn away. So what is the answer? The answer is always CHRIST. The measure by which we judge ourselves is always Christ. This is why Paul could say his conscience was clear before God, even though Paul also said he was the chief of all sinners.

Holding faith and a good conscience.

Reactions: amadeus and Pisteuo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Paul running a race to obtain the prize (Christ) at the finish. If that is the case, then, those that turn away before the finish line would...
...get a visit from Paul? :)

ever seen a race where the one in the lead runs all the way back to the guy in last place to offer encouragement?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ever seen a race where the one in the lead runs all the way back to the guy in last place to offer encouragement?

No, I haven't. But that is exactly what happened. The LORD came and took the lowly position... as servant.

What if we knew those in last place were going to judge, what would those in last place have to say about the forerunner? Forerunner: a person or thing that precedes the coming or development of someone or something else. An advance messenger. precursor. sign. forbear. prototype.

Christ.
The first and the last.
The servant and the King.
He goes before us and behind us. The "rereward".
Where does that leave us? . > ........ < .

In no position to boast: except in Christ.

Reactions: quietthinker

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No, I haven't. But that is exactly what happened. The LORD came and took the lowly position... as servant.

What if we knew those in last place were going to judge, what would those in last place have to say about the forerunner? Forerunner: a person or thing that precedes the coming or development of someone or something else. An advance messenger. precursor. sign. forbear. prototype.

Christ.
The first and the last.
The servant and the King.
He goes before us and behind us. The "rereward".
Where does that leave us? . > ........ < .

In no position to boast: except in Christ.
nice, ya--the Guy Who refused the crown so to speak

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, [5] Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Salvation(to those whom it is reserved for) is "kept by the power of God" and "reserved" in heaven which means Salvation is not in our possession yet.

What "I" read is -"To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved (what is reserved ? = he is speaking about out Inheritance!!)
in heaven for you who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation, ready to be revealed in the last time."

I don't for one moment believe it is saying what you say it is saying.
It is not salvation which is kept by the power of God. Read it again . It is written to - "you who are kept by the power of God through faith..."

And see above in your opening verse where I have changed 'your' emphasis to mine. :)
He is speaking of our inheritance, not our salvation.
When Jesus spoke to His beloved believers ( already converted and following) He said- " I go to prepare a Place for you...." ( not taking their salvation with Him to "hold" in heaven!o_O
'The Place' he prepares which is reserved, is the Inheritance. It is the inheritance of mature sons. Son's can be disinherited, but they are still sons.
But obviously through Pauls teaching re running the race, fighting the good fight of faith, and pressing on to the prize of the High Calling...which also is our inheritance...yet how many will do this?
How many will believe that we just coast into heaven on the coat tails of Jesus.
Yes, our salvation is sure, but our proven sonship is not.
There is a difference between sons , bride and servants .
Something that the easy-believing , or carnal Christian does not like thinking about...so "throws it out".

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What "I" read is -"To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved (what is reserved ? = he is speaking about out Inheritance!!)
in heaven for you who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation, ready to be revealed in the last time."

I don't for one moment believe it is saying what you say it is saying.
It is not salvation which is kept by the power of God. Read it again . It is written to - "you who are kept by the power of God through faith..."

And see above in your opening verse where I have changed 'your' emphasis to mine. :)
He is speaking of our inheritance, not our salvation.
When Jesus spoke to His beloved believers ( already converted and following) He said- " I go to prepare a Place for you...." ( not taking their salvation with Him to "hold" in heaven!o_O
'The Place' he prepares which is reserved, is the Inheritance. It is the inheritance of mature sons. Son's can be disinherited, but they are still sons.
But obviously through Pauls teaching re running the race, fighting the good fight of faith, and pressing on to the prize of the High Calling...which also is our inheritance...yet how many will do this?
How many will believe that we just coast into heaven on the coat tails of Jesus.
Yes, our salvation is sure, but our proven sonship is not.
There is a difference between sons , bride and servants .
Something that the easy-believing , or carnal Christian does not like thinking about...so "throws it out".

You are exactly right! So you believe you already possess Salvation? Not the Hope of it, but Salvation and righteousness is already yours? Then do you also possess healing? What about glorification? I ask only because I do struggle with it.

The point was that rather it be an inheritance or Salvation we speak of; all those "reserved" are "kept" by the power of God and not man's doing. I want to see a miracle...faith is that miracle: faith is what is seen and the assurance of my hope in salvation. God's work, not mine.

Romans 8:24-25 KJV
[24] For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? [25] But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it .

1 Corinthians 13:13 KJV
[13] And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are either Believers or we are not.
I have never doubted from the day that I stepped out of darkness into light.

1 John 5:13- " These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us:
15 And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him."

Our God is not a "hope so" God. Before I was a Believer I lived in the land of "Hope so". On becoming a believer I knew so.
I don't believe you will will find that the root meaning of "hope of salvation" is a "hope so" hope...but an assurance hope. Many years since I studied all the root meanings of every word.

2 Tim 1:12 "....for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

I believe we get so easily side tract with things that don't really matter at all..so we don't stay focussed on what really matters ..."Making our Calling and Election sure.." Our Inheritance.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Our God is not a "hope so" God. Before I was a Believer I lived in the land of "Hope so". On becoming a believer I knew so.
I don't believe you will will find that the root meaning of "hope of salvation" is a "hope so" hope...but an assurance hope. Many years since I studied all the root meanings of every word.
interesting to me that in neither of the two vv you posted above this is God said to have granted any petitions; but that we have the petitions! When prayer is understood as wish, and hope is understood as confident expectation, this all changes. We do not pray with hope, as these terms are defined in the KJV, iow; we turn "hope" into "wish," i guess.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
interesting to me that in neither of the two vv you posted above this is God said to have granted any petitions
although we do have this in other passages, "God will grant you the desires of your heart," etc, which manifest as pretty miraculous, at least to me, in those moments when that happens. Every now and then i am accidentally praying in God's Will i guess, iow

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
interesting to me that in neither of the two vv you posted above this is God said to have granted any petitions; but that we have the petitions!
When prayer is understood as wish, and hope is understood as confident expectation, this all changes. We do not pray with hope, as these terms are defined in the KJV, iow; we turn "hope" into "wish," i guess.

AGREE good points, we hit the language problem again.
....Hope = "Confident expectation of good". Yet hope today means "somewhere maybe, over the rainbow, if I am lucky"... with no confidence at all.
Back to the old argument about translations again! :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are either Believers or we are not.
I have never doubted from the day that I stepped out of darkness into light.

1 John 5:13- " These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us:
15 And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him."

2 Tim 1:12 "....for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

I believe we get so easily side tract with things that don't really matter at all..so we don't stay focussed on what really matters ..."Making our Calling and Election sure.." Our Inheritance.

You said: I believe we get so easily side tract with things that don't really matter at all...so we don't stay focused on what really matters..."Making our Calling and Election sure..." Our inheritance.

True, which is why I am asking.

You stress "inheritance" rather than Salvation. I agreed with you on, "inheritance incorruptible" let's add "undefiled", an inheritance "reserved and "Kept by the Power of God" in heaven for those that believe. But Salvation is a part of that inheritance. We are commanded to "seek ye first the kingdom of God: and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. We put on His righteousness thereby we are saved in the day of judgement. Would you not agree that would mean the inheritance is reserved within the Kingdom of God? Is Salvation a part of the inheritance or not?

Call it "expectant assurance" or "Hope" it is still "expectant". which again would explain why Paul sometimes spoke as if one could walk away before the finish. If "seek ye first the kingdom of God: and his righteousness" means the kingdom is now and His righteousness has already been added to you, then it comes from an "inheritance incorruptible". Meaning the corruptible cannot sow the incorruptible, nor can the incorruptible be lost.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Salvation is granted to all who receive it, an inheritance belongs to a son, God has many children just very few sons.

Well said David. Nice and clearly put.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, two very separate things. I have already tried to show you what I believe about our inheritance.

No you only said what the inheritance is not, maybe I missed it.

Hebrews 1:13-14
[13] But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? [14] Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

So here is where I am at. I sense your irritation with me; I don't want you to think I am implying I doubt God. I don't doubt God. I don't doubt Jesus Christ was the son of God or that He died for man's sin. I don't doubt Salvation. I do, however, sometimes doubt whether I have it. I am told that unbelief in whether I have salvation or not, means I don't have it because you "know" and there is no doubt. I ask my husband if he ever doubts His Salvation and he says "no" only to come back later to admit "maybe. Sometimes." So, I'm really not trying to be a pain or a headache...I want to be certain.

The word says:
Be thou faithful unto death.

Faithful...unto...death, sounds like a long process.

1 Peter 1:5
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

For me, 1 Peter "faith unto salvation" also sounds like a process.

"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is granted to all who receive it, an inheritance belongs to a son, God has many children just very few sons.

I am not sure if I agree with you, or disagree. Both I think. Well said, yet I don't agree because we are heirs of Salvation, meaning we inherit it.

Hebrews 1:14 KJV
[14] Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

1 Peter 1:10 KJV
[10] Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not sure if I agree with you, or disagree. Both I think. Well said, yet I don't agree because we are heirs of Salvation, meaning we inherit it.

Hebrews 1:14 KJV
[14] Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

1 Peter 1:10 KJV
[10] Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

Very sorry if you thought I was irritated. I can see why. In my post I thought I was underlining one word, but I now see that I underlined a whole line!!:eek:
That was a whoops...you can probably tell by my many spelling errors that I never go back and re-read my posts. Bad habit I know.

Many people muddle up our salvation with our inheritance and calling.
I did too for the longest time...then one day "the lights came on".
I have just noticed I made another mistake...I am quoting the wrong post..I am quoting your post to mjrhealth rather than you post to me. Sorry again. :(
You said that you sometimes doubt if you have salvation or not.
That is sad..and from the Enemy, that is his job. He doesn't want you to enjoy the peace that Jesus bring to us.
In reading your posts, and hearing your heart-cry toward the Lord, I have no doubt whatsoever that you are saved. I am sure other would witness with that. Your heart is 'toward the lord' therefore He wont give you a stone.
Just sit quietly with Father and allow Him to assure you of His love for you.

I will pray for you..that you receive overwhelming confirmation and confidence and never ever doubt yourself again.
God bless...Helen x

Reactions: Richard_oti