There is NO proof text in scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ScottA,

I don’t care, i was just sharing the definition of lazy, @ScottA

People are easily offended by words as it is these days you know it? I’m offended by the word ignorant, had someone who use to call me that a lot in my life. Wasn’t a big fan.

I’m a lazy person myself, and it wouldn’t really offend me personally if they called me lazy I accept it as a truth already.

I don’t believe being a lazy servant is a good thing though, or rendering evil with evil, or deeming people as though they are trash is good, or spirit lead. I don’t believe downtrodden others because of different doctrine is a good thing either. Anything that breaks down rather than encouraging is not good at all. Absolutely no.

It’s profound the hatred that lies in some peoples heart for their hatred of blacks, and blacks against whites, or hatred for a persons family, or hatred towards God, or hatred towards others who do not agree with another persons, hatred of the president, hatred over differences in politics, and anything of the like.

Child abuse, husband abuse, wife abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, manipulation, lying, cheating, all of these negative things are all identifiable in the Bible according also that of simply being a lazy servant. (Thank God for Gods grace and how he changes the human heart when people who desire to seek after him do, so).
  • Praise be to God for his healing power in and through Christ Jesus by the spirit. To have love, peace, mercy, compassion, joy, long suffering, mercy, forgiveness, and the like all by the power of God.

The human nature is interesting.

““But his Lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭25:26-30‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

These aren’t my words but Jesus words about how we should use our talents for the Lord if you are able to, and which to me is a symbol of growth, spiritually, having love for God and love for others ultimately. I could be wrong, you decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler and marks

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ScottA,

People are easily offended by words as it is these days you know it? I’m offended by the word ignorant, had someone who use to call me that a lot in my life. Wasn’t a big fan.

I’m a lazy person myself, and it wouldn’t really offend me personally if they called me lazy I accept it as a truth already.

I don’t believe being a lazy servant is a good thing though, or rendering evil with evil, or deeming people as though they are trash is good, or spirit lead. I don’t believe downtrodden others because of different doctrine is a good thing either. Anything that breaks down rather than encouraging is not good at all. Absolutely no.

It’s profound the hatred that lies in some peoples heart for their hatred of blacks, and blacks against whites, or hatred for a persons family, or hatred towards God, or hatred towards others who do not agree with another persons, hatred of the president, hatred over differences in politics, and anything of the like.

Child abuse, husband abuse, wife abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, manipulation, lying, cheating, all of these negative things are all identifiable in the Bible according also that of simply being a lazy servant. (Thank God for Gods grace and how he changes the human heart when people who desire to seek after him do, so).
  • Praise be to God for his healing power in and through Christ Jesus by the spirit. To have love, peace, mercy, compassion, joy, long suffering, mercy, forgiveness, and the like all by the power of God.

““But his Lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”

These aren’t my words but Jesus words about how we should use our talents for the Lord if you are able to, and which to me is a symbol of growth, spiritually, having love for God and love for others ultimately. I could be wrong, you decide.
I appreciate your heart and explanation, but it does still seem as though you support the idea of laziness to describe people who put the Holy Spirit above studying the word during these days when we have been instructed to do both, but specifically to seek God first and His Helper as He leads us into all truth, rather than by our own studies.

As for being offended, it may seem that I am offended for myself. I am not, but rather grieved in the spirit for the Holy Spirit in God's own spiritual house-- which again has been made a den of thieves.

Reactions: MatthewG

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not the point or my original post. But rather that it is in fact against God and his word to put the literary meaning or the words alone, before their spiritual meaning.

You missed the point.
I don't find anywhere that the literary meaning of what is written is contrary to their "spiritual meaning". If what you feel to be the "spiritual meaning" of a passage is contrary to the literary meaning of a passage, what is your assurance that you have it right? If it disagrees with the way it's written?

I believe that the spiritual meanings of Scripture will ever be contrary to the literary meaning in Scripture.

Much love!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't find anywhere that the literary meaning of what is written is contrary to their "spiritual meaning". If what you feel to be the "spiritual meaning" of a passage is contrary to the literary meaning of a passage, what is your assurance that you have it right? If it disagrees with the way it's written?

I believe that the spiritual meanings of Scripture will ever be contrary to the literary meaning in Scripture.

Much love!
To give an example, we are told God can move mountains, which I am sure he can, but this is an example of a Jewish idiom meaning God can solve an apparently unsolvable problem. It would be incorrect to think it was an actual mountain.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To give an example, we are told God can move mountains, which I am sure he can, but this is an example of a Jewish idiom meaning God can solve an apparently unsolvable problem. It would be incorrect to think it was an actual mountain.
I like to specify that we should read the Bible according to the normal use of language, while recognizing that the things the Bible says are way beyond "normal", but the way it says them is using language. I agree with you analysis here.

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
1 Corinthians 2:14
"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

The natural man is limited to the "literary" meaning of the scriptures. Which, if we are not careful, discerning the words spiritually ourselves, we are prone to take up the practices (even prefer them) of those who live in the land.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The natural man is limited to the "literary" meaning of the scriptures.
I don't think the natural man does understand the literary meaning. I think to the natural man, the Bible is a bunch of disconnected and confusing readings, some of which seem to make a certain kind of sense, and he totally misses all that it has to say.

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the natural man does understand the literary meaning. I think to the natural man, the Bible is a bunch of disconnected and confusing readings, some of which seem to make a certain kind of sense, and he totally misses all that it has to say.

Much love!
Yes, even worse when those who intend to follow Christ think the same way and adopt the same logic of this world, even before considering or reconciling all of what is written. Is suppose that is problem I had meant to address. If word studies and partial understanding lead to problems between us, I recommend not participating, but being silent before God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, even worse when those who intend to follow Christ think the same way and adopt the same logic of this world, even before considering or reconciling all of what is written. Is suppose that is problem I had meant to address. If word studies and partial understanding lead to problems between us, I recommend not participating, but being silent before God.
Finding harmony and unity in our spirits and in our understandings is a rare and precious thing.

Yes, I agree with you, better to be silent than to bring division among brothers.

Much love!

Reactions: ScottA

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, is it your intention and advice not to believe anything that people claim they "know" from God, as if God no longer has interaction with people?

What are you trying to say here?

Hello Scott, I have taken the time to read many of the posts here and was drawn in by the title of your thread. As of late, I have come across many people who lean more and more on being led by the Spirit over what the written text of the Bible states. The common belief here is that the Spirit will teach you all you need to know if you are in a right relationship with God, and that which you know to be truth, will be in agreement with the Bible anyway.

And I decided to quote you on this particular reply because when we are confident that we know something is true, well then everything in the scriptures should agree with the truth we have been given by the Spirit. But what if God has given us examples, in his written word, of people knowing that they had the Spirit of God and that they spoke by that same Spirit, yet they were never truly saved to begin with, and that spirit by which they spoke, was actually an evil spirit? Could this even be a possibility? The Bible says, Yes.

If you are unfamiliar with this account, then I would highly recommend reading the whole chapter. In it, God lays out a very humbling teaching about those who are confident in their relationship with God, are confident that they have the Spirit of God within them instructing them, even speaking to them, and are confident enough to declare that which they know is truth but are in fact not.

1 Kings 22:5–6 (KJV 1900)
And Jehoshaphat said unto the king of Israel, Inquire, I pray thee, at the word of the Lord to day. 6 Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall I go against Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall I forbear? And they said, Go up; for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king.

This was a pretty cut and dry answer by the 400 prophets who spoke in unison. What more could any king want? But with the evil king Ahab, there was a good king named Jehoshaphat, and he suggested that the king inquire of one more prophet. Which seems like a strange request since 400 prophets of the Lord already made a unanimous declaration of victory. Nonetheless, the king agrees and they call Michaiah who was actually the only true prophet of God among the 400. And while they waited for Michaiah to arrive, the 400 prophets continued reassuring the king of victory, speaking by the Spirit of God they knew they had.

1 Kings 22:11–12 (KJV 1900)
And Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah made him horns of iron: and he said, Thus saith the Lord, With these shalt thou push the Syrians, until thou have consumed them. 12 And all the prophets prophesied so, saying, Go up to Ramoth-gilead, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the king’s hand.

But Michaiah had a different message altogether.

1 Kings 22:14 (KJV 1900)
And Micaiah said, As the Lord liveth, what the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak.

1 Kings 22:23 (KJV 1900)
Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.

Both were sure that they were hearing directly from God (the 400 prophets and Michaiah), and both were sure they had the Spirit of God, yet only one man did. So, now we have to ask a question, did the 400 prophets truly believe that they had the spirit of God within them? The Bible answers, Yes.

1 Kings 22:24 (KJV 1900)
But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the Lord from me to speak unto thee?

This account teaches us a very important principle, that our assurance of salvation does not come from how sure we are that we belong to God because we did something to become saved, but our assurance comes from God alone through his word. The scriptures are filled with people who were sure they belonged to God, but never did. This is in the scriptures for reasons that should not be ignored. And typically, I have found that most people who would prefer to follow the leading of what they believe is the Holy Spirit within them, over careful study of God's Word, in order to come to truth, are actually miles from truth. And that is revealed through the doctrines they preach, such as free will, physical prosperity, hearing from God outside of His Word, etc.

The reason we're told to test the spirits to see whether they are from God is because people speak/preach by those spirits. And only if that spirit is the spirit of God, then that person will be led to truth in God's Word and will in turn speak that truth once he has examined everything in the scriptures to make sure he is understanding whatever truth he thinks he has found. And this requires a fine tooth comb to search out every word of God. Something you, sadly, are against.

Proverbs 30:5–6 (KJV 1900)
Every word of God is pure:
He is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6 Add thou not unto his words,
Lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Psalm 103:20 (KJV 1900)
Bless the Lord, ye his angels,
That excel in strength, that do his commandments,
Hearkening unto the voice of his Word.

Proverbs 25:2 (KJV 1900)
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing (dabbar):
But the honour of kings is to search out a matter (dabbar).

It's very interesting that the Hebrew word "dabbar" is mostly translated in the Bible as "WORD".

It is the glory of God to conceal a WORD;
But the honour of kings (God's People) is to search out a WORD.

And there are many more verses that teach the same truth, to search the Bible diligently for our daily bread and for our truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV 1900)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The word "study" is defined by the Bible as, "be diligent". Be diligent, rightly dividing the Word of Truth, the Bible.

Lastly, did you know that the Holy Spirit does in fact teach his people and guides them into truth. But do you know HOW he does this? We need not guess, the Bible tells us.

1 Corinthians 2:13 (KJV 1900)
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost TEACHETH; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The Holy Ghost teaches us when we compare spiritual things with spiritual, or when we take the time to compare the word of God with the word of God.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Scott, I have taken the time to read many of the posts here and was drawn in by the title of your thread. As of late, I have come across many people who lean more and more on being led by the Spirit over what the written text of the Bible states. The common belief here is that the Spirit will teach you all you need to know if you are in a right relationship with God, and that which you know to be truth, will be in agreement with the Bible anyway.

And I decided to quote you on this particular reply because when we are confident that we know something is true, well then everything in the scriptures should agree with the truth we have been given by the Spirit. But what if God has given us examples, in his written word, of people knowing that they had the Spirit of God and that they spoke by that same Spirit, yet they were never truly saved to begin with, and that spirit by which they spoke, was actually an evil spirit? Could this even be a possibility? The Bible says, Yes.

If you are unfamiliar with this account, then I would highly recommend reading the whole chapter. In it, God lays out a very humbling teaching about those who are confident in their relationship with God, are confident that they have the Spirit of God within them instructing them, even speaking to them, and are confident enough to declare that which they know is truth but are in fact not.

And Jehoshaphat said unto the king of Israel, Inquire, I pray thee, at the word of the Lord to day. 6 Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall I go against Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall I forbear? And they said, Go up; for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king.

This was a pretty cut and dry answer by the 400 prophets who spoke in unison. What more could any king want? But with the evil king Ahab, there was a good king named Jehoshaphat, and he suggested that the king inquire of one more prophet. Which seems like a strange request since 400 prophets of the Lord already made a unanimous declaration of victory. Nonetheless, the king agrees and they call Michaiah who was actually the only true prophet of God among the 400. And while they waited for Michaiah to arrive, the 400 prophets continued reassuring the king of victory, speaking by the Spirit of God they knew they had.

And Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah made him horns of iron: and he said, Thus saith the Lord, With these shalt thou push the Syrians, until thou have consumed them. 12 And all the prophets prophesied so, saying, Go up to Ramoth-gilead, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the king’s hand.

And Micaiah said, As the Lord liveth, what the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak.

Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.

Both were sure that they were hearing directly from God (the 400 prophets and Michaiah), and both were sure they had the Spirit of God, yet only one man did. So, now we have to ask a question, did the 400 prophets truly believe that they had the spirit of God within them? The Bible answers, Yes.

But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the Lord from me to speak unto thee?

This account teaches us a very important principle, that our assurance of salvation does not come from how sure we are that we belong to God because we did something to become saved, but our assurance comes from God alone through his word. The scriptures are filled with people who were sure they belonged to God, but never did. This is in the scriptures for reasons that should not be ignored. And typically, I have found that most people who would prefer to follow the leading of what they believe is the Holy Spirit within them, over careful study of God's Word, in order to come to truth, are actually miles from truth. And that is revealed through the doctrines they preach, such as free will, physical prosperity, hearing from God outside of His Word, etc.

The reason we're told to test the spirits to see whether they are from God is because people speak/preach by those spirits. And only if that spirit is the spirit of God, then that person will be led to truth in God's Word and will in turn speak that truth once he has examined everything in the scriptures to make sure he is understanding whatever truth he thinks he has found. And this requires a fine tooth comb to search out every word of God. Something you, sadly, are against.

It's very interesting that the Hebrew word "dabbar" is mostly translated in the Bible as "WORD".

And there are many more verses that teach the same truth, to search the Bible diligently for our daily bread and for our truth.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The word "study" is defined by the Bible as, "be diligent". Be diligent, rightly dividing the Word of Truth, the Bible.

Lastly, did you know that the Holy Spirit does in fact teach his people and guides them into truth. But do you know HOW he does this? We need not guess, the Bible tells us.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost TEACHETH; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The Holy Ghost teaches us when we compare spiritual things with spiritual, or when we take the time to compare the word of God with the word of God.

You are right to say there are many who claim they know from God, when it it not true, just as it was with the 400 false prophets. But they were not hearing from God, but had "a lying spirit."

But it is wrong to say that God does not speak "outside His word", if you mean His [written] word only. That is not biblical. This, Jesus made clear in His comments to Peter, regarding how he came to know Jesus was the Christ:

Matthew 16:17
"Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."​

You are listening to your own counsel...but not hearing.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ScottA,

This is a stupendous post!

Reactions: Wrangler

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Another good post! If anyone tells you the Holy Spirit showed them something about a scripture, they should be able to show it by locking together some scriptures on it. They should also be able to answer about the scriptures that seem to (I said SEEM TO so no dying duck fits please) contradict it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:...

...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:1,7

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words - Proof texts.
No, that would be missing the point..

The point is that would-be prooftexts can be assumed and used to prove anything one has a mind to believe, whether right or wrong.

Scriptures as a confirmation do not to prove anything to anyone, but rather confirm what one believes to themselves...which is then subject to "corrections" as Paul told us. But one scripture pit against another is not correction or proof, but the two must be reconciled and agree...and those who cannot reconcile all scripture only prove themselves wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that would be missing the point..

The point is that would-be prooftexts can be assumed and used to prove anything one has a mind to believe, whether right or wrong.

Agreed. A "Theologian" skilled in the art, can get all sorts of creative stuff out of Scripture. Just look at Roman Catholic, LDS, Campbellite Church of Christ, or Jehovah's Witness "theologies" for a demonstration thereof.

Scriptures as a confirmation do not to prove anything to anyone, but rather confirm what one believes to themselves.

I.e. The scriptures are being used as "Proof Texts" to confirm one's beliefs. You said so yourself.

But one scripture pit against another is not correction or proof, but the two must be reconciled and agree...and those who cannot reconcile all scripture only prove themselves wrong.

Which is how "theologians" work: Scriptures that SUPPORT one's belief are their "PROOF TEXTS", and Scriptures that refute one's belief are their "PROBLEM TEXTS" - which have to be "Explained away" in an "Acceptable" fashion. Skilled "theologians", and their Denominations, can generally find "Workarounds" for whatever gets in their way.