There is NO proof text in scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has confused all language at Babel--even all scripture...which has not been rescinded.

Most of the debates here and many of the differences of belief and division among so-called Christians, are over the various translations of original languages that have been confused by God to make it foolishness to the natural man and unbelievers. And most have fallen headlong into the trap, a trap that was never meant for you/us.

Get off the word studies, and get in the Spirit. Walk in the Spirit.

The scriptures then, are not to serve as a proof text of what you think or what was taught, but should instead be a means of confirmation. The rule is NOT to test every word, but rather to "test every spirit."

Let me say it again: Get off the word studies. They are of no value to proving doctrine.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God has confused all language at Babel--even all scripture...which has not been rescinded.

Most of the debates here and many of the differences of belief and division among so-called Christians, are over the various translations of original languages that have been confused by God to make it foolishness to the natural man and unbelievers. And most have fallen headlong into the trap, a trap that was never meant for you/us.

The scriptures then, are not to serve as a proof text of what you think or what was taught, but should instead be a means of confirmation. The rule is NOT to test every word, but rather to "test every spirit."

Let me say it again: Get off the word studies. They are of no value to proving doctrine.

So where do you get your doctrines from?

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aye! Give God the glory!

Reactions: Mantis and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incidentally.

Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." Matthew 10:34

That sword which Christ brought...if taken up in language alone, written or spoken, is divisive. Unless, by further instruction, it is taken up in the Spirit:

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." Ephesians 6:13-20

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's different for different people. But as it turned out for me, I first heard from God and then went to the scriptures. Which, in doing so the one confirmed the Other, and vice versa.

So you think you get your doctrines directly from God?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds good, but it is contrary to Scripture: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. (2 Tim 2:15).

People, just ignore ScottA in this connection. ScottA rhymes with "Hot Air".:cool:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, see, there is a difference between "thinking" or believing, and "knowing" anything of truth. Truth belongs to God. If it comes from God, it's the truth. Period.

But I do value his word in the scriptures--He sent me directly to it to fill in all the details. But the words are spirit, and must be discerned spiritually.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a better source for what we believe and to know which way to go in a walk with God? Remember the way of the carnal man?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem. 10:23

If we follow even a man, whom we have believed to be righteous is there not still a danger that he might fall and we with no connection of our own to God may then join him in a ditch?

Reactions: Nancy and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good, but it is contrary to Scripture: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. (2 Tim 2:15).

People, just ignore ScottA in this connection. ScottA rhymes with "Hot Air".:cool:
Well...I am not going to dignify your slander.

But that is not what I said, or how I said it...but only part. That is called wrongly dividing the word of truth.

Which is typical of those who speak against the truth.

...Oh, and you also only quoted part of your attack scripture. You left out vs 14 of 2 Timothy 2:

"Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers."​

Guess you needed reminding.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we follow even a man, whom we have believed to be righteous is there not still a danger that he might fall and we with no connection of our own to God may then join him in a ditch?
Now you have deflected from the main issue. So let's go back to 2 Timothy 3:16: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Does this say anything about following any man? ScottA is miffed, but this is another Scripture which refutes his theorizing. So how do we try or test the spirits? By the Word of God, the Sword of the Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you have deflected from the main issue. So let's go back to 2 Timothy 3:16: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Does this say anything about following any man? ScottA is miffed, but this is another Scripture which refutes his theorizing. So how do we try or test the spirits? By the Word of God, the Sword of the Spirit.
I believe that the scriptures contain God's Truth. I believe they were written as men were inspired by God to write them.

I also believe that to correctly understand God's message in the scriptures requires that the man reading or hearing them have the same inspiration from God that the writer had. This is the quickening of the Spirit.

I do not pretend to know or understand all of the ideas of @ScottA but much of what I have read from him here fits and sometimes clarifies my own vision of the things of God. Without a vision, we perish!

Using the scripture to help us understand the scriptures can be a good thing, but without God's inspiration would it not be like Satan trying use scripture to convince Jesus of something?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessed the man
that doth not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stand in the way of sinners,
nor sit in the seat of the scornful,
but his delight in the law of the LORD,
and in his law doth he meditate
day and night!

(Psalm 1:1-2)​

Reactions: TLHKAJ

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Oh, and you also only quoted part of your attack scripture. You left out vs 14 of 2 Timothy 2:

"Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers."

what things?
According to 2 Timothy 2, it is not by word alone, but by the spirit of God in us through our Lord Jesus Christ that we shall come to reign with Him.

Reactions: post and amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not the point or my original post. But rather that it is in fact against God and his word to put the literary meaning or the words alone, before their spiritual meaning.

You missed the point.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to 2 Timothy 2, it is not by word alone, but by the spirit of God in us through our Lord Jesus Christ that we shall come to reign with Him.

the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Christ.
the scripture is the testimony of Christ.

i would be very careful not to speak against studying it; to know Him is life - and we have a book that testifies of Him from cover to cover
what else could possibly be more worth reading?