There is no spiritual gift called "the gift of tongues".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I wake up speaking in Tongues. The Lord has more control over us when we sleep (Job) I think is what it means. That's when the Lord talks to us (our spirit) is in th night when He has our attention because we are not thinking about anything worldly, we're sleeping! So our mind is clear. I have (in the morning when I wake speaking in tongues) heard it stop as I woke up and I thought, don't stop! And I willed myself to continue and it started up again! so it would seem to be able to be started by us and our will which knows that we don't know how to pray like we ought to so that seems to make sense and even coroberates the truth of it through our testimony about it they are so similar.

A long time a ago, I tried to speak in tongues a little bit but it was from my Carnal man and not from my spirit so it did not work. We are to worship in spirit and in truth. Speak Tongues in Spirit and in Truth!

You are the 2nd guy who told me it happened to him just like it happened to me. Thats amazing!
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: - 1 Corinthians 14:18
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the 2nd guy who told me it happened to him just like it happened to me. Thats amazing!
I had a Pastor at one time that told us his testimony of "learning" to speak in tongues.
All he was able to muster was a single syllable "word" per day. He added to it until the tongues flowed.

First day= "Tu."
Second day = "Tu lu."
Third day = "Tu lu ju arfbu aaijv vvajvno ajnvoan voavnv..." - LOL

/

• Haha
Reactions: MA2444

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's say for example,say you speak in a foreign language. Are you sure? (I'd be recording myself! ) You said you don't know what language.Why would the Spirit translate one tongue spoken on earth to another?But the gift of tongues is just that--a gift. Not everyone has it. That doesn't mean others who have the gift of administration, mercy, helps, teaching, are spiritless or that their prayers are not heard.
God knows what I say. I do not have the gift of tongues
As for your friends wanting to teach you-that is what bothers me. The gifts of the spirit are gifts. No one needs to learn how to use them.
There are more than one kind of tongues. Not just the Gift of Tongues. (#3 below)

Five Different Uses of Tongues
1) Personal prayer language (worship/edification)
2) Intercessory prayer language (praying for others in the Spirit)
3) A prophetic message for a congregation (the Gift of tongues)
4) Singing in the Spirit (worship/edification)
5) Evangelistic language (like at Pentecost, the hearers understand it)

There may be more.
We can't limit the Holy Spirit.

/

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the spiritual pathway as this...

1. Salvation - As easy as believing on the Lord Jesus Christ
2. Sanctification - Seeing the Christ formed on the inside
3. Spiritual Gifts - Whatever gift the Holy Spirit enables you with

Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? - 1 Corinthians 12:29-30

I believe it is a big mistake to teach people how to speak in tongues who have not the gift. Just like trying to get someone to get up in church to sing, play the piano, or the guitar who have no gift in such areas. In which all would end up making a terrible sound. Sometimes I go months without hearing someone speak in tongues. But if I ever run across it I am sure to thank who ever gave out the message. And they are all good hearted folk as well. I would rather not hear an interpretation than someone try to interpret wrongfully. If we are disobedient it it better to confess disobedience rather than make things up.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my pet peeves is Christians that do NOT speak in tongues wanting to instruct those who DO speak in tongues about what it is and how it should be done. The OP for this topic is a good example. Beginning with this ignorant and condemnatory gem:

"There is, unfortunately, a rather common misconception among professing Christians, of a supposed spiritual gift called “the gift of tongues” in the church of the Lord Jesus Christ. When the truth of the Word of God is presented unto such people, many of them will shut their ears, cast the truth behind their backs, and judge themselves unworthy of everlasting life."

/

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In your... mind maybe, but not in Apostle Paul's mind, as things that shall 'pass away' is the subject he was talking about...

1 Cor 13:8
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
KJV

None of those things have yet ended for this present world. But they will "vanish away" in the world to come. Anyone with common sense ought to understand that, because 'tongues' (languages) are still going on today, so is 'knowledge'. It is a folly of the mind to think otherwise about today.
That passage doesn't say anything at all about when. You're assuming when.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That passage doesn't say anything at all about when. You're assuming when.
Agree.
And they claim tongues have already passed away. What about prophecies and knowledge?
Have they passed away as well?

1 Cor 13:8
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies,
they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease;
whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

/

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues have ceased. The Greek verb for "cease", παύω, is used about tongues BUT not to refer to prophecies or knowledge.

The Greek verb καταργέω used about prophecies and knowledge means something else, something like to cease to be useful. That means that no one is given today outstanding knowledge or the capacity to prophecy, because

1) the understanding of the written word of God that we have today is not based on private interpretation, it is not granted by any personal gift, and

2) No one is given today the ability to prophesy, since the prophecies that we expect to be fulfilled are all written in the Bible that we have today.

1 Cor. 13:8 does not imply that knowledge will cease to exist, but rather that it would not be obtained individually while our hope is placed in the promises that are already written, not in sporadic events that someone may prophecy individually. This verse has already been fulfilled since the last Christian anointed with holy spirit from heaven died. From that moment on (beginning of second century), no one has performed powerful or miraculous works. Speaking unknown tongues or prophesying individually are works that only one of those anointed ones could perform by the power of the holy spirit in them.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second-century Christians spoke of the gifts of the spirit as something of the past, which had only occurred during the apostolic era, when the apostles or some of those who they laid hands on directly were still alive.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably a new generation of people, also probably a new earth and planets. Scripturally, Heaven sometimes meant probably the sky or galaxy

2 Peter 3:10&12

Hebrews 1:10-12
The new earth= Gods kingdom rule in full control, no more satan influences or wickedness of any sort. Earth transformed into a Eden(paradise) all mortals back to perfection.
New heavens = Gods kingdom in full control of all creation, no more mortal govts ever.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LUDICROUS. You don't have a clue, and only spout whatever men's doctrines you hear. Reminds me of a marionette.
The teachings of Jesus in every translation on earth proves it. Few on earth know what Jesus actually taught.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second-century Christians spoke of the gifts of the spirit as something of the past, which had only occurred during the apostolic era, when the apostles or some of those who they laid hands on directly were still alive.
Nonsense.

Acts 2:39 NIV
The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off
for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Acts 2:17-21 NIV
“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21 And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved.’[a]

/

Reactions: amadeus

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evidently the prophecy in Joel 2:28-30 was fulfilled in "the last days" of the Jewish religious system, with its temple in Jerusalem and the Aaronic priesthood. That is what Peter said in Acts 2:17-21, and you can't realize it :rolleyes:.

Acts 2:16 On the contrary, this is what was said through the prophet Joel

... first century.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two types? Name them please. Thanks.

How do you know what tongues sounded like in the first century?

/
Tongues simply means “languages”

Let’s look at the first type of tongue…

Acts 2:1-12
2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language [i.e., at the same time!].
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 [including people from all these languages:] Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? KJV​
The above "tongues" is that when a servant of God speaks in his own one language, the people hearing him hear him in their own language. In other words; say that I speak a sentence in English, and you hear it in Japanese, and another standing next to you hears it in Spanish, and another person hears it in Greek, etc., because these are their individual native tongues. But you all heard the same words from my mouth at the same time.​

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues simply means “languages”

Let’s look at the first type of tongue…

The above "tongues" is that when a servant of God speaks in his own one language, the people hearing him hear him in their own language. In other words; say that I speak a sentence in English, and you hear it in Japanese, and another standing next to you hears it in Spanish, and another person hears it in Greek, etc., because these are their individual native tongues. But you all heard the same words from my mouth at the same time.​
Have you experienced this personally?

- Why would there be a need for the spiritual gift of the interpretation of tongues? See 1 Cor. 12

- Why did the Apostle Paul prefer prophecy over tongues in a worship gathering? See 1 Cor. 14

/

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you experienced this personally?

- Why would there be a need for the spiritual gift of the interpretation of tongues? See 1 Cor. 12

- Why did the Apostle Paul prefer prophecy over tongues in a worship gathering? See 1 Cor. 14

/
Why must I need to experience the cloven “fire” tongue? My experiences can’t change what is written in the word of God.

Why would there be a need for the spiritual gift of the interpretation of tongues?

Because I don’t speak Japanese, so if I go preach in Japan I need an interpreter.

Paul spoke of this….

6Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 7Even in the case of lifeless instruments, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone recognize the tune they are playing unless the notes are distinct? 8Again, if the trumpet sounds a muffled call, who will prepare for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, which all present heard in their own dialects of the their language of birth, is... real.

But the gibberish which some speak today that is not heard as languages, is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost.

Hopefully, those who speak the gibberish tongue, and claim it is the 'cloven tongue', maybe if they are delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Christ speaking by The Holy Spirit, maybe then their gibberish will become manifest as what those at Pentecost heard. But until then, Acts 2 evidence is our MEASURE for identifying the cloven tongue.

What really is the cloven tongue?

Zeph 3:8-9
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.

For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.
KJV

Prior to the tower of Babel event in the Old Testament, all peoples spoke one tongue. God confused the one tongue into many languages, and the peoples were divided. The above Zephaniah 3:9 verse is suggesting God is going to return all peoples back to that one tongue after Christ's future return.

The time of that, "fire of My jealousy" upon this earth is what Apostle Peter foretold about the "day of the Lord", the last day of this present world (2 Peter 3:10). That is the day of Jesus' future return.

If one goes into the Greek of Acts 2 for each phrase that mentions the tongue or language, the outline looks like this:

a. Greek glossa (means known languages of the world)
a. glossa
....b. dialektos (where our English word dialect comes from)
....b. dialektos
a. glossa
a. glossa

That above outline in the Acts 2 Scripture confirms beyond all... doubt, exactly what was spoken by the Apostles on Pentecost. The Apostles were probably hearing themselves speaking their own natural language, but it went out to the multitudes in each persons 'dialect' of their own language of birth. God knows how we speak and hear.
1707528829723.png Well done good and faithful servant.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, which all present heard in their own dialects of the their language of birth, is... real.

But the gibberish which some speak today that is not heard as languages, is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost.

Hopefully, those who speak the gibberish tongue, and claim it is the 'cloven tongue', maybe if they are delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Christ speaking by The Holy Spirit, maybe then their gibberish will become manifest as what those at Pentecost heard. But until then, Acts 2 evidence is our MEASURE for identifying the cloven tongue.

What really is the cloven tongue?

Zeph 3:8-9
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.

For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.
KJV

Prior to the tower of Babel event in the Old Testament, all peoples spoke one tongue. God confused the one tongue into many languages, and the peoples were divided. The above Zephaniah 3:9 verse is suggesting God is going to return all peoples back to that one tongue after Christ's future return.

The time of that, "fire of My jealousy" upon this earth is what Apostle Peter foretold about the "day of the Lord", the last day of this present world (2 Peter 3:10). That is the day of Jesus' future return.

If one goes into the Greek of Acts 2 for each phrase that mentions the tongue or language, the outline looks like this:

a. Greek glossa (means known languages of the world)
a. glossa
....b. dialektos (where our English word dialect comes from)
....b. dialektos
a. glossa
a. glossa

That above outline in the Acts 2 Scripture confirms beyond all... doubt, exactly what was spoken by the Apostles on Pentecost. The Apostles were probably hearing themselves speaking their own natural language, but it went out to the multitudes in each persons 'dialect' of their own language of birth. God knows how we speak and hear.
Agreed…. This was an awesome post..

Status
Not open for further replies.