Things To Do While In Lock down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh thanks Josho. Just started my journey in learning a new language, Mandarin. It's a bit challenging cos it's hard to remember the characters but I've got plenty of time! :););)

Ye and you get levels you can progress through in duolingo, to make it more interesting haha, tbh there's not too much reason for me to learn another language, of course some relatives would like me to learn Cantonese, because a grandma cannot speak English and a few don't have a great English and have trouble understanding some things, but honestly Cantonese is a really tricky language to learn. I think my mum has even tried teaching me a few times, but ye it's just complicated for me.

And other than that, there's not much point in me learning Scottish Gaelic, since that was quite a few generations ago and not many speak it anyway, and those that do pretty much know English anyway, and I suppose I could say the same about Cherokee, though it would be great to keep languages like that alive, no known relatives from dad's side live in Scotland still, and French you are looking back to the 1600s to find any ancestors on his side that were in France haha.

And most French speaking people know English too, though there are some African French speaking countries that probably don't know English too well and maybe a few in some islands.

I think the most handy languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese (either Mandarin Or Cantonese) Mandarin obviously being more handy than Cantonese though.

Hebrew and Greek, I think is only real handy if you want to really see what the Bible says in those languages and study Biblical Greek and Hebrew words. And of course if you live in either Israel or Greece, or visit those places on a regular basis or have relatives over there, there are a lot of Greeks in Australia, but a lot of them know English anyway to be living in this country.

It's amazing how much the English language has spreader around the world though.

Reactions: amadeus

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Ye and you get levels you can progress through in duolingo, to make it more interesting haha, tbh there's not too much reason for me to learn another language, of course some relatives would like me to learn Cantonese, because a grandma cannot speak English and a few don't have a great English and have trouble understanding some things, but honestly Cantonese is a really tricky language to learn. I think my mum has even tried teaching me a few times, but ye it's just complicated for me.

And other than that, there's not much point in me learning Scottish Gaelic, since that was quite a few generations ago and not many speak it anyway, and those that do pretty much know English anyway, and I suppose I could say the same about Cherokee, though it would be great to keep languages like that alive, no known relatives from dad's side live in Scotland still, and French you are looking back to the 1600s to find any ancestors on his side that were in France haha.

And most French speaking people know English too, though there are some African French speaking countries that probably don't know English too well and maybe a few in some islands.

I think the most handy languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese (either Mandarin Or Cantonese) Mandarin obviously being more handy than Cantonese though.

Hebrew and Greek, I think is only real handy if you want to really see what the Bible says in those languages and study Biblical Greek and Hebrew words. And of course if you live in either Israel or Greece, or visit those places on a regular basis or have relatives over there, there are a lot of Greeks in Australia, but a lot of them know English anyway to be living in this country.

It's amazing how much the English language has spreader around the world though.

True... but there is Klingon? Perhaps you could learn that language then you may be able to understand some of the jokes the guys make in the Big Bang Theory! lolol! :D:D

Reactions: amadeus and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess another suggestion is to play some musical instruments with some other people across video calls or whatever, don't have to be a family with kids for that suggestion, but orchestras and bands have been doing it during the lockdowns.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I guess another suggestion is to play some musical instruments with some other people across video calls or whatever, don't have to be a family with kids for that suggestion, but orchestras and bands have been doing it during the lockdowns.

Another great idea! ;) Hmmm.....

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard on the BBC about Stephen Graham getting his kid to cut his hair. This video has some photos.

I found this video of another courageous father and son. What fun if you have the courage. . . .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Board games would be kinda fun Pearl. My Dad use to play this strange game with cards and sticks placed in a wooden block. I think it was called cribbage, odd o_O I love to play 5 crowns. It's one of my fave card games.....
My grandma taught me to play cribbage - or crib - when I was a child. I still have the brass pegs and pegboard my dad made.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even better, if you'll goggle making a native American flute from pvc pipe this is something I did with the grandkids about a year ago and it was very simple. Most have the materials needed around the house. We also made some from bamboo found locally.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm type in Duolingo, that has a heap of different languages you can learn, and it's free, but staying motivated can be tricky, I have tried and I have never stuck to it. I do Believe we have a French member on these forums ;)

Thank you @Josho ,
And yes, it is the staying motivated that that would kill it for me, unless I had someone to speak it with on a regular basis, it would bore me I think. :)

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even better, if you'll goggle making a native American flute from pvc pipe this is something I did with the grandkids about a year ago and it was very simple. Most have the materials needed around the house. We also made some from bamboo found locally.

I tried making a native American whistle once out of a stick, it failed, hahaha. :D

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps they are not as hollow as you thought they are and what you got was a ringing sound..

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps they are not as hollow as you thought they are and what you got was a ringing sound..

Oh the air was not making it all the way through the other end, tried to make the hole bigger, the stick split, then the drill bit hit my hand and I got cut. hahahaha. And then it still did not work of course. Not sure if I tried again after that or what.

Probably would have helped a bit if I used the right type of wood.

Last edited: