Things To Do While In Lock down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Je suis tres bon, merci. Et vous?

Je suis bien.

Don't know too much French hahaha :D

I did have French lessons in school didn't do too well at it, because I dont think I paid too much attention in French classes, I dropped it when it became optional, had another shot a few years ago on duolingo, but then when I got up to a certain point it got hard. :eek:

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Je suis bien.

Don't know too much French hahaha :D

I did have French lessons in school didn't do too well at it, because I dont think I paid too much attention I'm French classes, I dropped it when it became optional, had another shot a few years ago on duolingo, but then when I got up to a certain point it got hard. :eek:
I passed my French GCE exam many years ago but have had no call to use it since. A few years ago I was planning to go on holiday to France and started to brush up but then nothing came of it and we did not go. I dare say it would come back eventually with a little practice.

Reactions: amadeus and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I passed my French GCE exam many years ago but have had no call to use it since. A few years ago I was planning to go on holiday to France and started to brush up but then nothing came of it and we did not go. I dare say it would come back eventually with a little practice.

Ye, it's strange, you can learn other languages and that's great, but are you ever going to use them much is another thing. As I said though, I think most people in France have English as a second language anyway, maybe not the older people so much, but there are other French speaking countries that might not know English too well.

Anyway I used to want to move to countries with a cooler climate when I was younger, LOL. I have changed my mind on that though, I think I am happy to be in Australia, we are lucky that we still have many wide open spaces, blue skies, clean rivers in the upper parts, clean creeks, heaps of fresh air, a fresh water spring short drive away, and a lot of forest around the part of Aus I live, even though I would still like a lot more snow! We are blessed with wonderful natural surrounds. And I am happy to be living with my parents still, and would like to stay close to them in the future, whenever and if ever I get a house put on my block of land. Probably the only way I move to another country, is if they move to another country. :D

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ye, it's strange, you can learn other languages and that's great, but are you ever going to use them much is another thing. As I said though, I think most people in France have English as a second language anyway, maybe not the older people so much, but there are other French speaking countries that might not know English too well.

Anyway I used to want to move to countries with a cooler climate when I was younger, LOL. I have changed my mind on that though, I think I am happy to be in Australia, we are lucky that we still have many wide open spaces, blue skies, clean rivers in the upper parts, clean creeks, heaps of fresh air, and a lot of forest around the part of Aus I live, even though I would still like a lot more snow! We are blessed with wonderful natural surrounds. And I am happy to be living with my parents still, and would like to stay close to them in the future, whenever and if ever I get a house put on my block of land. Probably the only way I move to another country, is if they move to another country. :D

How did you fare during the wildfires? Did they come near you? It was terrible to see it every night on TV.

Your description of your part of the world sounds idyllic. I don't like hot weather and our last two summers have seen record temps. If it gets above 23C then I camp out in the shade or stay in and turn on my fan.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How did you fare during the wildfires? Did they come near you? It was terrible to see it every night on TV.

Your description of your part of the world sounds idyllic. I don't like hot weather and our last two summers have seen record temps. If it gets above 23C then I camp out in the shade or stay in and turn on my fan.

Ye we were pretty fortunate, all the fires kept quite a distance away from us this time, and we didn't get any near us this summer, even though those forests that were on fire are connected to the forests around here, with only roads splitting them a part, the fires could have been potentially a lot worst, but thank God the rain came.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ye we were pretty fortunate, all the fires kept quite a distance away from us this time, and we didn't get any near us this summer, even though those forests that were on fire are connected to the forests around here, with only roads splitting them a part, the fires could have been potentially a lot worst, but thank God the rain came.
It looked horrendous. We have moorlands surrounding our town and they were on fire - deliberate arson - for a good six weeks last year. We had to keep the windows closed and we could smell it in the air. Obviously nowhere near as damaging as the Aussie fires though.

SleekB

Dec 29, 2019
NORMAL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the past month or so, I have been in my basement ordering seeds. The Big 6, they try and say it is 4, but it is 6, control the bulk of commercial seeds, and want everything to be GMO. They do not want people to trade seeds, or save seeds since that cuts into their profits. These genetically modified organisms will not reproduce true, if at all. Worse, they are trying to say this modified stuff is better; spit in the face of God by saying they can do better than He has done? Pass. I have a bad feeling that this will not turn out well one day, so getting whatever I can before it isn't possible. I have had this virus this whole month, well guess whole last month of March now, so it has been interesting see all these wonderful variations from around the world. Freezer will be nothing but seeds by the time this is all said done.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh the air was not making it all the way through the other end, tried to make the hole bigger, the stick split, then the drill bit hit my hand and I got cut. hahahaha. And then it still did not work of course. Not sure if I tried again after that or what.

Probably would have helped a bit if I used the right type of wood.

You missed the left field joke.

You said that you
tried making a native American whistle once

and I said that "they were not as hollow as you thought."

Getting a native American into a stick to make him whistle once, out of a stick, would have meant that the native American would have had to have been rather small to have been put into the stick so that he could whistle out of the stick.

On the other hand an Australian wind instrument is simply found already hollowed out so that all that is required is to find the right size of tree, cut it to length and learn how to circular breathe so that you can play it continuously while attempting to.

Reactions: amadeus and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You missed the left field joke.

You said that you

and I said that "they were not as hollow as you thought."

Getting a native American into a stick to make him whistle once, out of a stick, would have meant that the native American would have had to have been rather small to have been put into the stick so that he could whistle out of the stick.

On the other hand an Australian wind instrument is simply found already hollowed out so that all that is required is to find the right size of tree, cut it to length and learn how to circular breathe so that you can play it continuously while attempting to.

Finally read this and saw the double meaning to what I wrote. hahahhaha :D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Board games would be kinda fun Pearl. My Dad use to play this strange game with cards and sticks placed in a wooden block. I think it was called cribbage, odd o_O I love to play 5 crowns. It's one of my fave card games.....
Five Crowns is one of those card games my wife and I play every day. We play a couple of games daily including at times Phase 10, Scrabble, dominos and Yahtze. We just finished a jigsaw puzzle recently but have not started a new one yet. We have several new ones for when we decide to start one. Cribbage is one of those games I only heard about. I have never met a person in person who actually played cribbage.

Of course I spend time on forums such this and almost daily I spend time working on my postage stamp collection. I don't actually collect anymore. I sort and prepare books of stamps and send them out through a club to be sold to interested collectors. I get as much enjoyment working with the stamps this way as when I was actively acquiring more stamps. While I have well over 10,000 out now, either sold or for sale, my collection still consists of over 100,000 world wide stamps. I admit that it takes a certain kind of temperament to enjoy the focus and the details involved in it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well this is day 2 of learning another language. Specifically Mandarin. Let's see. Ni hao, wo jiao Angelina. Ni jiao shenme?
Love it! Wish I were up to it. Of course when young I learned Spanish and German, but I was no Bible reader in those days. I tried to get started with Hebrew a number of years ago, but it was taking more time or patience than this old man had. I can still learn new things but it takes more time and about all of my time is already filled with other things.

Reactions: Angelina

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was working I used to translate Spanish and German documents as a secondary part of my job for the government. It improved on what I had learned in school and as a visiting student in countries where they were the primary language. It was only after about two years with the Lord that I started reading the Bible in those languages in 1978. A man at my work, an Episcopalian, who was a Russian translator, purchased two Bibles for me, one each of those languages. We were always talking about God the Bible during our coffee breaks and he knew I was interested.

For many years now, since I no longer work at a secular job, I have kept up both languages by including them in my daily Bible readings along with English. Even they are not the original languages of the Bible, the different perspective makes it a worth-while effort on my part. I used to try to read other books in those languages, but my inability to find interesting subject matter caused me to lose interest. That was before the Internet.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Love it! Wish I were up to it. Of course when young I learned Spanish and German, but I was no Bible reader in those days. I tried to get started with Hebrew a number of years ago, but it was taking more time or patience than this old man had. I can still learn new things but it takes more time and about all of my time is already filled with other things.

That is so true brother but I have been in self-isolation for the past 2 weeks as I am an essential worker but my workplace has allowed those who have underlying health issues to opt out for a month and that is where I am at the mo. It has been a matter of utilising my time in a positive way. I have always wanted to learn a new language and now I have the time. Yay! I find Mandarin a bit tricky and found that I recognise the symbols really well so I can now read and answer conversations at a basic level. Hopefully I will get better as time goes by. I have created a daily routine, setting time aside for it as well as bible reading, prayer and house work, yard work, exercise etc: it makes for a very full and fruitful day xox

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is so true brother but I have been in self-isolation for the past 2 weeks as I am an essential worker but my workplace has allowed those who have underlying health issues to opt out for a month and that is where I am at the mo. It has been a matter of utilising my time in a positive way. I have always wanted to learn a new language and now I have the time. Yay! I find Mandarin a bit tricky and found that I recognise the symbols really well so I can now read and answer conversations at a basic level. Hopefully I will get better as time goes by. I have created a daily routine, setting time aside for it as well as bible reading, prayer and house work, yard work, exercise etc: it makes for a very full and fruitful day xox
Probably with the Internet being what it is once you get into it a bit deeper you'll be able to find places where native speakers will help you. I have not tried for a long time, but years ago when I did I found even Christian forums for German or Spanish speakers. Whether that would be possible for Mandarin is sometimes to keep in mind. May God bless you in your efforts in any case!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cribbage is one of those games I only heard about. I have never met a person in person who actually played cribbage.
My grandma taught me to play when I was a little girl but I haven't played for a good few years. I still remember how though and have a wooden and brass cribbage board and pegs that my dad made.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My grandma taught me to play when I was a little girl but I haven't played for a good few years. I still remember how though and have a wooden and brass cribbage board and pegs that my dad made.
Too many people invested first into TV and then in more recently years into all of the online activities. Probably you could find people who would play cribbage online, but I am just guessing on that. I know people play other games online. I don't get into that because my wife is always available for a face to face board game which we both prefer in any case.

Reactions: Pearl