Things To Do While In Lock down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Angelina : seems like the terms of the lockdown in NZ are more severe than in some parts of North America.

I do agree that the virus needs a great deal of precautions against.

I guess a lot of ppl are glad that computers still work! :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Too many people invested first into TV and then in more recently years into all of the online activities. Probably you could find people who would play cribbage online, but I am just guessing on that. I know people play other games online. I don't get into that because my wife is always available for a face to face board game which we both prefer in any case.
People these days seem to some extent to have lost the art of face to face conversation and interaction.

What would today's computer generation have done years ago?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People these days seem to some extent to have lost the art of face to face conversation and interaction.

What would today's computer generation have done years ago?
From experience I know what people did years ago, when most people did not own even television sets. I can remember when my mother had our first telephone installed. Can people imagine no televisions and no phones much less no computers nor Internet? Maybe in some old movies they might see it, but people actually managed to live that way. My grandmother who only died in 2003 actually moved from Texas to Oklahoma in a covered wagon when she was 6 years old. To her that was a remarkable experience which she never forgot. Is anyone spoiled today? I am!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
From experience I know what people did do years ago, when most people did not own even television sets. I can remember when my mother had our first telephone installed. Can people imagine no televisions and no phones much less computers? Maybe in some old movies they might see it, but people actually managed to live that way. My grandmother who only died in 2003 actually moved from Texas to Oklahoma in a covered wagon when she was 6 years old. To her that was a remarkable experience which she never forgot. Is anyone spoiled today? I am!
My family past has stories of hardships in the war years; and at the time ppl took them in their stride. Very unlike today's pampered generation; at least, some ppl. I also think that in North America and Europe a lot of ppl just don't get just how hard and different life can be in other parts of the world sometimes; and they even sometimes assume that the way they think is and should be the norm for the rest of the world: this is a form of neo-colonialism.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That is so true brother but I have been in self-isolation for the past 2 weeks as I am an essential worker but my workplace has allowed those who have underlying health issues to opt out for a month and that is where I am at the mo. It has been a matter of utilising my time in a positive way. I have always wanted to learn a new language and now I have the time. Yay! I find Mandarin a bit tricky and found that I recognise the symbols really well so I can now read and answer conversations at a basic level. Hopefully I will get better as time goes by. I have created a daily routine, setting time aside for it as well as bible reading, prayer and house work, yard work, exercise etc: it makes for a very full and fruitful day xox
@Angelina : Hoping your brother will be doing well soon!

My respects about the Chinese; it's not an easy language for Westerners.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When I was working I used to translate Spanish and German documents as a secondary part of my job for the government. It improved on what I had learned in school and as a visiting student in countries where they were the primary language. It was only after about two years with the Lord that I started reading the Bible in those languages in 1978. A man at my work, an Episcopalian, who was a Russian translator, purchased two Bibles for me, one each of those languages. We were always talking about God the Bible during our coffee breaks and he knew I was interested.

For many years now, since I no longer work at a secular job, I have kept up both languages by including them in my daily Bible readings along with English. Even they are not the original languages of the Bible, the different perspective makes it a worth-while effort on my part. I used to try to read other books in those languages, but my inability to find interesting subject matter caused me to lose interest. That was before the Internet.
We read from the French Bible at home; it's one of Canada's official languages.

Often reading the Bible in another language gives a really fresh perspective. I remember nearly 40 years ago getting a really fresh insight into Ephesians from the French version.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My family past has stories of hardships in the war years; and at the time ppl took them in their stride. Very unlike today's pampered generation; at least, some ppl. I also think that in North America and Europe a lot of ppl just don't get just how hard and different life can be in other parts of the world sometimes; and they even sometimes assume that the way they think is and should be the norm for the rest of the world: this is a form of neo-colonialism.
You could call it neo-colonialism I suppose, but I believe that very many called "Christian" will suffer because their attitude is more than a little bit on the selfish side. Jesus lived according to this verse written by Paul:

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

And Jesus said of himself:

"....the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Matt 8:20

I readily acknowledge that I find myself also falling short in these same things. Help us dear Lord!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Schools around the country of NZ are shutting down for a whole month or more so families with kids at home are trying to find things to do.

One idea was to place teddy bears in windows of houses around my town. This enables passersby with children to "find the TeddyBears" it's a great idea but they will probably be restricted from driving after Wednesday where only essential services will be the only ones traveling, accept if you are going to the supermarket.

Any Ideas for families with children who are in lockdown? [self-isolation]
Great thread! Thanks for posting! Prayer, projects, and games on the tablet have come in handy. I have also grilled out with family over.