Thou Shalt Tithe

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
im sure he had SOMETHING, plus he learned the carpentry trade from joseph. he is known to have been a carpenter. between 18 and 30 (when he began his ministry), did he do any work? his followers and nt writer's preached tithing. to who? who are WE to pay tithes to? there are 100s that claim to be doing "god's work". so am i. am i any less worthy of my tithes than they?

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
im sure he had SOMETHING, plus he learned the carpentry trade from joseph. he is known to have been a carpenter. between 18 and 30 (when he began his ministry), did he do any work? his followers and nt writer's preached tithing. to who? who are WE to pay tithes to? there are 100s that claim to be doing "god's work". so am i. am i any less worthy of my tithes than they?

How do you know Christ didn't pay a tithe? What did He say when He was asked about paying a tax?

"he is known to have been a carpenter. between 18 and 30 "

Where have you read this?

there are 100s that claim to be doing "god's work". so am i. am i any less worthy of my tithes than they?

How much are you getting? maybe that will answer your question.

Generally I give my tithe where I am taught GOD'S WORD, chapter by chapter and line by line.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
my point is that why should i not pay tithes to myself. i concider myself to be just as worthy as anyone else. god teaches me through his written word and the holy ghost. is that not enough?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Sniper762:

my point is that why should i not pay tithes to myself. i concider myself to be just as worthy as anyone else. god teaches me through his written word and the holy ghost. is that not enough?

Ummm.... I am getting concerned now................

JerryJohnson:

JerryJohnson had some Questions you seemed to have dodged Sniper762. I am also waiting, this is the forums, not dodge ball.

Mike.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Sniper762:

Ummm.... I am getting concerned now................

JerryJohnson:

Where have you read this?[/

JerryJohnson had some Questions you seemed to have dodged Sniper762. I am also waiting, this is the forums, not dodge ball.

Mike.

"I" wrote it. what question have you asked. if its "how much do i get? i pay MYSELF, 10% of course.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
snip,
These are the questions you didn't answer:

sniper762, on 02 May 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

im sure he had SOMETHING, plus he learned the carpentry trade from joseph. he is known to have been a carpenter. between 18 and 30 (when he began his ministry), did he do any work? ...

How do you know Christ didn't pay a tithe? What did He say when He was asked about paying a tax?

"he is known to have been a carpenter. between 18 and 30 "

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
snip,
These are the questions you didn't answer:

i dont recall you ever asking me those questions.

there are many references to jesus' life that many will never learn in fear of opening their minds. who's picture is on that coin? give to ceaser what is ceasar's. tax and tithing are two different issues.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Look at post #42.

Try, "Mat 22:21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. "

there are many references to jesus' life that many will never learn ...

Not in Scripture.

There are accounts, not in Scripture, of Him being in England with His uncle.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

[font="tahoma][size="3"]What did they rob from God? Was it just tithes, no it was offerings also and it was the nation of Israel. So if you want to be literal than be literal. God has never required anyone outside of the nation of Israel to tithe.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Now Mike let's be literal, the only time money is mentioned in connection with the tithe is in Deuteronomy 14:24-26.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Now the place the LORD your God chooses for his name to be honored might be a long way from your home.If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds and take the money to the place the LORD your God chooses.When you arrive, use the money to buy anything you want--an ox, a sheep, some wine, or beer. Then feast there in the presence of the LORD your God and celebrate with your household.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]The tithe is sold for money and then used to by BBQ and beer. [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Mal. 3:10[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you![/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Here again food and for what purpose that there will be food in God's temple.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Now Mike, tithe if you want to but be literal, take food and alcohol to the priest, let the priest take it into the temple and store it there to be dealt out among the widows, orphans, and foreigners. [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="'trebuchet ms"]Now God has established a new covenant, who are the priests in this new covenant? What is God's temple in this new covenant? See it doesn't work, do you think thats why God has never required anyone in this new covenant to tithe?[/font]
[font="'trebuchet ms"]
[/font]
[font="'trebuchet ms"]You said it yourself Mike it was the "whole nation of Israel" that was robbing God, not Syria, not Egypt, not Greece, not even Italy, wonder why, probably because no one else has ever been required by God to tithe outside of the nation of Israel.[/font]
[font="'trebuchet ms"]
[/font]
[font="'trebuchet ms"]You seem to be stuck between covenants here Mike and trying to mix the two just doesn't work with the tithe no more than it does with animal sacrifice or sabbath keeping. You should just drop the old covenant practices ( they don't please God now anyway) and join us over here in the new and better covenant of Grace where we give as we purpose in our own hearts. We freely receive and freely give. We are led by HolySpirit and not by the letter. Come on over Mike, you won't regret it.
smile.gif
[/font]

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Jiggyfly:

Now Mike, tithe if you want to but be literal, take food and alcohol to the priest, let the priest take it into the temple and store it there to be dealt out among the widows, orphans, and foreigners.

You take your bottle of Jack up first, I'll wait and see what happens to you, then I'll go with mine.

You seem to be stuck between covenants here Mike and trying to mix the two just doesn't work with the tithe no more than it does with animal sacrifice or sabbath keeping. You should just drop the old covenant practices ( they don't please God now anyway) and join us over here in the new and better covenant of Grace where we give as we purpose in our own hearts. We freely receive and freely give. We are led by HolySpirit and not by the letter. Come on over Mike, you won't regret it

Man.......................I give up!!!!!!! Lets be Led by the Holy Spirit and just do some fishing............. bring that tithe money you took, and lets get lunch afterwords.

Be blessed out of measure brother...........I'll just sit quietly and just bang my head on the keyboard....

As you already know................
Jesus Is Lord

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Jiggyfly:

You take your bottle of Jack up first, I'll wait and see what happens to you, then I'll go with mine.

Man.......................I give up!!!!!!! Lets be Led by the Holy Spirit and just do some fishing............. bring that tithe money you took, and lets get lunch afterwords.

Be blessed out of measure brother...........I'll just sit quietly and just bang my head on the keyboard....

As you already know................
Jesus Is Lord

Actually I prefer Blue Moon ale.
tongue.gif

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I thought tithing was a provision under the Law of Moses. Is this thread advocating we are still under the Law of Moses and must tithe? If so then what other provisions of the Law of Moses are we still under?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
How bout thou shall not steal................. :lol:

RichardBurger, the reasons for tithing I have given, and why it's not under the law. Read the whole thread, then come back and post again. You will see both sides of the argument.

To answer your question, we have to start from scratch, and redo this whole thing. Jiggyfly has given points, and I have given points.

Be Blessed.

Jesus Is Lord

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
[font="tahoma][size="3"]God has never required anyone outside of the nation of Israel to tithe.[/size][/font]

ENOUGH of this "no other nation but Israel" is required this and that ...

I'm not even gonna get the verse, there are 12 gates on New Jerusalem ... all this Israel is in the past, old testament old covenant replacement theology business must mean you're gonna go line up at a gate labeled BAPTIST or METHODIST or LUTHERAN, right ?

Only one other group of people are mentioned, the dogs outside the gate.

[font="tahoma][size="3"]Now Mike let's be literal, the only time money is mentioned in connection with the tithe is in Deuteronomy 14:24-26.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Now the place the LORD your God chooses for his name to be honored might be a long way from your home.If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds and take the money to the place the LORD your God chooses.When you arrive, use the money to buy anything you want--an ox, a sheep, some wine, or beer. Then feast there in the presence of the LORD your God and celebrate with your household.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]The tithe is sold for money and then used to by BBQ and beer. [/size][/font]

I hate opening up a whole new can of worms here, but that verse is regarding what's known as the "2nd tithe" and you are indeed right, that it is paid to yourself, in a sense ... this was put aside so that you were able to attend the Feasts of the Lord ( Hebrew moedim, Lev. 23 ) ... this isnt a vacation account so you'd be able to go watch Nascar or sit on a beach.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
jesus was the epitomy of "preachers". did his deciples pay tithes to him? take away the tiths in today's churches and see how long they exist.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Jarbreaker:

I'm not even gonna get the verse, there are 12 gates on New Jerusalem ... all this Israel is in the past, old testament old covenant replacement theology business must mean you're gonna go line up at a gate labeled BAPTIST or METHODIST or LUTHERAN, right ?

I guess I'll be standing at the Word of faith gate................ :lol:

Your right Jarbreaker, Jesus fulfilled the law.There is still a law, that hangs on that new commandment of Love God, and Love neighbor. It is the same covenant, or else we are not the seeds of Abraham. What people are not looking at is that Jesus said, you ought to have loved, had judgment, shown mercy, and not left out paying tithes.
Judgment, love and mercy fall under Love God, love neighbor, which all the law hangs.

Then we have the commandments............ Thou shall not Kill, Steal, (sounds like the devil) commit adultery, and so on.
Those where commandments, and to break any of those would be breaking that Love command which puts you under the Law.

Now God considered not paying tithe stealing..........and God said if you bring the tithe you get blessed.

God never said it was OK not to pay tithe, Jesus never said it, and not anyone said it was OK to steal. (People make that up.)

Look at this............

Luk 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

God separates Ordinances, and commandments. commandments hang on that law of love. stealing is in there, for if you love God, you don't do to him what he considered stealing.

Ordinances.... were all the things that like washing, preparing and a bunch of religious steps they had to take. It was those that were removed from us............ Never Ok to steal though.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Notice that commandments were not used.

Now if God changed his mind about stealing the tithe.........I like to know were it's at. We have on Covenant, it was though Abraham, else we are not His seed.

Thank you Jarbreaker

Jesus Is Lord

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
ENOUGH of this "no other nation but Israel" is required this and that ...

Wrong, I don't participate in carnal religious liturgy.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Wrong, I don't participate in carnal religious liturgy.

So, Your hanging out with the dogs???

I wonder if our Word Of Faith Gate is going to be nicer because we tithe and there was more money to build us a nicer gate.

Jesus is Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.