Thoughts on Reddit and Being Salt

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wanted to share something Im thinking about when it comes to forums and online communities.

I think it's wonderful that Christians have places to gather online but I feel like I am starting to see a golden opportunity by stepping out of my comfort zone to secular sites. One website in particular is called Reddit. You may have heard of it.

You can form an online community around anything you want. I joined r/AskaChristian and r/debatereligion just now.

My main point is that a this is a place where the lost gather and many are looking for advice and answers.

I was in a thread about weight loss and I put prayer as one of many methods as to how I lost weight. A user point blank asked me how prayer and faith affected my weight loss.

My mind was blown because I never expected such a direct question about my faith. Especially from a user who described themselves as non-religious. I feel like my time might be better shifted towards prayerfully witnessing and being a light on places like Reddit.

Depending on the rules of each sub-reddit, you can talk freely about Jesus and the gospel.

The majority of people on Reddit, Id say are young like me--- and very liberal. It came off a but obnoxious at first but there are a lot of people who are hungry for truth as well.

I just wanted to share this in case others felt like I was feeling--- like they are in a Christian bubble and not sure how to make a difference.

I feel like places like Reddit could use more of a Christian presence.

What do you think? I think it certainly beats arguing and debating amongst ourselves for too long.

Maybe we are meant to disperse. Thinking of salt, a whole pile of salt is just a pile of salt. But when it sprinkles around, it adds flavor and is a preservative.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t use Reddit, but my youngest does ( he is 28 ) He is part of a number of groups and has made some good friends. Just be pre- warned that you can get some people who choose to put people down. I guess on any social platform this happens. I am pretty sure Reddit is where my son met a Christian friend , he was in a group about Zelda. This Christian friend just came along side Dan over the last few years and they have become good friends. My son was an atheist up until this year. His friend happens to have a pastor for a dad and we now link up with his sermons from time to time ( the church is in the USA ) My son came to faith in august.
I think there is a place for natural witness through friendship and linking up with hobbies and things you like.
Rita

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t use Reddit, but my youngest does ( he is 28 ) He is part of a number of groups and has made some good friends. Just be pre- warned that you can get some people who choose to put people down. I guess on any social platform this happens. I am pretty sure Reddit is where my son met a Christian friend , he was in a group about Zelda. This Christian friend just came along side Dan over the last few years and they have become good friends. My son was an atheist up until this year. His friend happens to have a pastor for a dad and we now link up with his sermons from time to time ( the church is in the USA ) My son came to faith in august.
I think there is a place for natural witness through friendship and linking up with hobbies and things you like.
Rita

Wow, Rita! That is wonderful! You must be so pleased that your son came to faith!

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you think? I think it certainly beats arguing and debating amongst ourselves for too long.
Sounds good. Go for it. Expect to be banned. Since all social media are essentially Communist and censor the truth.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
G'day sparkly eyes with wild hair.....I'm a salty ole dog....now that does not mean I'm a replica of Lot's wife. When the wind is in my sails my eyes go sparkly and my hair goes wild as well. Now the question is, do I sprinkle the salt on the fish or just pour it on? In my experience, pouring salt on dead fish only keeps them recognisably dead for longer however, a few sprinkles has the ability to sharpen ears......but even a few sprinkles at times is wayyyyyyy too much :)

Reactions: Wynona