Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
That would be an issue for a different topic. Maybe you could start one.
Oh really? Is there any other reason we are discussing whether there are examples of x days and x nights including partial days?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. But what ever your reason for discussing partial days is a reason for a different topic. So, let me repeat:
There are some folks who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week. The Messiah said that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights (Matthew 12:40). Of those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved with the Messiah's time in the tomb. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language. And that is the only issue of this topic, i.e., the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. I'm simply asking anyone who may fall in the above group of believers if they might provide actual examples/instances to support the belief of commonality.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might be useful to know that a preponderance of textual evidence attests that Jesus
returned to life during the third day rather than after the third day was completely over
and done with.

And as John 11:9-10 and the first chapter of Genesis define Days on earth as when the
sun is up, and Nights on earth as when the sun is down, then Jesus' resurrection
absolutely did not occur at Night.

Matt 17:22-23 . . And while they were gathering together in Galilee, Jesus said to
them: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men; and they will kill
him, and he will be raised on the third day.

Mark 9:31 . . For he taught his disciples, and said unto them: The Son of man is
delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he
shall rise the third day.

Luke 9:22 . . And he said: The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected
by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the
third day be roused.

Luke 24:12-21 . . Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw
the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what
had happened. Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus,
about seven miles from Jerusalem. They were talking with each other about everything
that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus
himself came up and walked along with them; but they were kept from recognizing him.

. . . He asked them: What are you discussing together as you walk along? They stood
still, their faces downcast. One of them, named Cleopas, asked him: Are you only a
visitor to Jerusalem and do not know the things that have happened there in these
days? What things? he asked.

. . . About Jesus of Nazareth; they replied. He was a prophet, powerful in word and
deed before God and all the people. The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to
be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; but we had hoped that he was the one
who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took
place.

Luke 24:41-46 . . And while they still could not believe it for joy and were marveling,
he said to them : Have you anything here to eat? And they gave him a piece of a broiled
fish; and he took it and ate it before them. Now he said to them : These are my words
which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about me
in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled. Then he
opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and he said to them : Thus it is
written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day

Acts 10:39-41 . . And we are witnesses of all the things He did both in the land of the
Jews and in Jerusalem. And they also put him to death by hanging him on a cross. God
raised him up on the third day

1Cor 15:4 . . He rose again the third day

» Beware construing the days predicted In Matt 12:40 and John 2:19 as 24-hour
amalgams of light and dark or you'll just end up spun and confused. Think of days and
nights like a child thinks of them and you'll be alright.
_

Reactions: Cooper

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
It might be useful to know that a preponderance of textual evidence attests that Jesus
returned to life during the third day rather than after the third day was completely over
and done with.

And that would be an issue for a different topic. Maybe you could start one.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr. rstrats; if you haven't found your requested documentation by now,
after nine years and 800+ comments (on this forum, not to mention other
forums across the web) I think you really should consider your search a lost
cause and surrender this thread to better uses.
_

Reactions: Cooper and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. But what ever your reason for discussing partial days is a reason for a different topic. So, let me repeat:
There are some folks who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week
First off, I discuss partial days because others bring it up, and everything I have put forth is an argument against it.

Second, I have said this many times before that I believe the Bible shows that he was crucified on Wednesday and rose sometime late Saturday. So I think we are on the same page.

cause and surrender this thread to better uses.
Yeah... Though not count it as a lost cause, but surrender it as a victory.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and done with.
Yet other scripture say he rose before the Sabbath ended. Its funny how you don't discuss them.

What we must realize is that all the gospels only tell when people discovered the tomb was empty; not when he actually rose.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
cause...

That has certainly been the case so far, but you never know, there could be someone visiting this topic in the future who knows of examples.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
First off, I discuss partial days because others bring it up, and everything I have put forth is an argument against it.

But in doing that you're encouraging the continuation of off topic issues. Just for once I'd like to see a topic keep on topic.

Second, I have said this many times before that I believe the Bible shows that he was crucified on Wednesday and rose sometime late Saturday.

I know, and that is an issue for a different topic.

So I think we are on the same page.

I don't understand. What page do you think that is?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in doing that you're encouraging the continuation of off topic issues. Just for once I'd like to see a topic keep on topic.
I fully understand your desire to keep the discussion on topic, but the crucifixion was part of your OP.
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6[sup]th[/sup] day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day.
Thats YOUR OP opening statement. So discussing the crucifixion seems to me to be within the topic because why else are we discussing 3 days anD 3 nights?
I know, and that is an issue for a different topic.
How so, when it was in your original post and there is no other valid reason for discussing it?

So this is what you are looking for:
I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?

Well thats pretty convoluted. An easier question is where does it say a part of a day equals a whole day? Where does it say that a day and a night are just a part of a day and part of a night?

And you have been given examples, though they are wrong. Cooper dis give you examples, for example, but they don't apply to to the crucifixion. They apply to a woman's period. But yes... It is an example.

So if the crucifixion isn't part of the question, then you have your answer.

According fo a document that was published around 100 AD, if a woman has her period for part of a day, she is unclean for either the rest of the 24 hour period OR just the 12 hour day or night.

Its not in the Bible, nor would a sane person apply it to the crucifixion... But there it is and Cooper answered your question! Especially when you want to take the crucifixion out of the equation, but included it in your OP!

I don't understand. What page do you think that is?

Well, how about here:

Thats you agreeing with me. So how are we not on the same page?

Nevermind... A thread that has lasted 9 years just because someone wants "examples" is pretty nutty.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Sabbath

The hours of a holy day are different than the hours of a normal day

Sabbaths etc, begin at sundown whereas Gen 1:4-5, Gen 1:14, Gen 1:16-18, and
John 11:9-10 all imply that normal days begin at sunrise.

Now, Jesus was actually living in Israel during the gospel years so I think he would
know better than any of us today the hours of a normal day during crucifixion week.
According to him, normal days back then began at sunrise (John 11:9-10). When folks
attempt to force normal days to begin at sundown like a holy day they inevitably
experience difficulty making their chronology come out right.
_

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
FHII,
re: "Thats YOUR OP opening statement. So discussing the crucifixion seems to me to be within the topic because why else are we discussing 3 days anD 3 nights?"

Firstly, as I said previously, the OP was poorly conceived with regard to the topic's title and intent. However it has been clarified in a number of subsequent posts, and most recently in post #821.

Secondly, the purpose of the topic is not for the discussion of the 3 days and 3 nights. There are other topics which do that. The only discussion would be whether or not any examples provided were actually examples.

re: "Thats you agreeing with me. So how are we not on the same page?"

You wrote: "I have said this many times before that I believe the Bible shows that he was crucified on Wednesday and rose sometime late Saturday." So when I said that I know, I was saying that I know that you have said that many times, not that I agreed with your Wednesday/Saturday time frame.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The hours of a holy day are different than the hours of a normal day

Sabbaths etc, begin at sundown whereas Gen 1:4-5, Gen 1:14, Gen 1:16-18, and
John 11:9-10 all imply that normal days begin at sunrise.

Now, Jesus was actually living in Israel during the gospel years so I think he would
know better than any of us today the hours of a normal day during crucifixion week.
According to him, normal days back then began at sunrise (John 11:9-10). When folks
attempt to force normal days to begin at sundown like a holy day they inevitably
experience difficulty making their chronology come out right.
_
The explanation to this is so simple that I wonder how anyone can miss it. "A day" is 24 hours where the night precedes "the day" (which is the portion of "a day"). For example,
Genesis 1:5 KJV
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Holy days are no different.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the evening and the morning were the first day.
The hours of a creation day are different than the hours of holy days and
normal days.

Evening in the Bible is typically the hours from high noon to sunset; whereas
morning is typically the hours from sunrise to high noon. Both of those
conditions speak of light. In other words there is no darkness in a creation
day.

Another tricky day is the creation era itself.

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were
created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven." (Gen 2:4)

In that verse "day" entails the entire creation endeavor. Clearly then; "day"
is ambiguous and not all that easy to interpret sometimes.

So, to avoid getting tripped up by day's ambiguity; I suggest relying upon
Jesus' statement in John 11:9-10 that, when he was here, days were when
the sun is up, and nights were when the sun is down.
_

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooper

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The hours of a creation day are different than the hours of holy days and
normal days.

Evening in the Bible is typically the hours from high noon to sunset; whereas
morning is typically the hours from sunrise to high noon. Both of those
conditions speak of light. In other words there is no darkness in a creation
day.

Another tricky day is the creation era itself.

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were
created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven." (Gen 2:4)

In that verse "day" entails the entire creation endeavor. Clearly then; "day"
is ambiguous and not all that easy to interpret sometimes.

So, to avoid getting tripped up by day's ambiguity; I suggest relying upon
Jesus' statement in John 11:9-10 that, when he was here, days were when
the sun is up, and nights were when the sun is down.
_
I don't know if you are aware that a day in Hebrew which is yome, simply means a period of time from a few hours to eternity, according to context as in the Day of the Lord for example. Each day of the creation account lasted billions of years. Also worth mentioning is that there were two periods of light and dark on the Friday making two days, with Saturday being the third day, totalling three mornings and three evenings. Anything else that is contrary to scripture is the result of human ignorance. God bless.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there were two periods of light and dark on the Friday making two days,
with Saturday being the third day, totalling three mornings and three
evenings.

We can't count the period of darkness that Jesus experienced on the cross
for two very good reasons:

1» He lived thru it

2» His location

The prediction in Matt 12:40 requires that Jesus be dead and buried during
the three days and nights.
_

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We can't count the period of darkness that Jesus experienced on the cross
for two very good reasons:

1» He lived thru it

2» His location

The prediction in Matt 12:40 requires that Jesus be dead and buried during
the three days and nights.
_
Fair enough, but three days and three nights doesn't mean what we think it means. Here is something I posted earlier. I don't know if you saw it or not?

1Sa 30:11-13 They found an Egyptian in the open country and brought him to David. And they gave him bread, and he ate. They gave him water to drink, and they gave him a piece of a cake of figs and two clusters of raisins. And when he had eaten, his spirit revived, for he had not eaten bread or drunk water for three days and three nights. And David said to him, “To whom do you belong? And where are you from?” He said, “I am a young man of Egypt, servant to an Amalekite, and my master left me behind because I fell sick three days ago.

Assuming he had breakfast on Monday morning and then fell ill sometime during the day, then he went without food Monday night and all day Tuesday. When they found him three days later on Wednesday and gave him food and water, he had only been without food Monday night and all day Tuesday. They gave him food on Wednesday. He had not eaten or drunk for one and a half days.

Gen 42.16: “And he put them all in custody for three days. 18 On the third day, Joseph said to them, Do this and you will live, for I fear God” and they are released ON that day

They were released on the third day. They were in custody for two days.
Jesus rose on the third day.

2 Chr 10.5: “And he said to them, ‘Return to me again in three days” (NAS) with verse 12: “So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day as the king had directed, saying, ‘Return to me on the third day.”

They had only been away two days and returned on the third day. Jesus rose on the third day.

Esther 4.16: “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.’” And then in 5.1: “On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall."

“Esther had been away two days. She returned on the third day.” The same as Christ returned to newness of life on the third day.

Matt 27.63: “Sir," they said, “we remember that while he was still alive that deceiver said, `After three days I will rise again.” 64 So give the order for the tomb to be made secure until the third day.

The third day was Sunday and the grave was no longer secure. The guard had gone off duty and were fast asleep.