Three Days?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The inability to count is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. No one (in the western world) considers the day a baby turns 1 year old to be the day the baby was born but 1 year after the birth event. My first day on the job is not my one year anniversary on the job. Granted, I'm mixing days and years but the principle of counting is the same.

The moment I got married is not the day AFTER I got married. The moment Jesus was put in the ground is not Day One in terms of counting 3 days in the ground. When you count money, you do not count $1 until that entire $1 is put down as having been counted, i.e., you do not start counting 1 with $0 on the table.

The only reason for this peculiarity in counting is the tradition that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday @ sunrise. Neither are true, given Scripture and math. (One thing the last few posts got right but did not explicitly say is the Jewish day begins at sunset.) Not all Sabbath's are Saturday. Sure, that is the general Sabbath but Passover and many other holy days occur on other days, which are called special Sabbaths. To review the only math that works with Scriptural constraints is:

WEDNESDAY @ DUSK: Jesus is put in the ground. (t = 0)

THURSDAY @ DUSK: End of Day 1 complete.

FRIDAY @ DUSK: End of Day 2 complete.

SATURDAY @ DUSK: End of Day 3 complete.

When Mary came Sunday at dawn, she did not miss the greatest event in human history by moments. She missed it by some 12 hours. The Jewish Sunday begins Saturday at sunset. That is when Jesus was resurrected by God. Click here for more details.

Your autobiography is of no consequence even less than your confident self-destructive mathematical inabilities. Neither worth a chuckle.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So where is your heart? And what is the heart of the earth? Jesus beating was part of His payment/suffering on earth till He died. I don't see how we would not include that period of time in the 3 days. It was all that He suffered. He didn't suffer after He died. it was finished. Where did His spirit go? Some think He went to Hades. He said He would be in Paradise, the location where Abraham and all those Israelites who died with faith.

First: Re: <<Where did His spirit go?>> Answer: "FATHER, INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT."

Now, <<what is the heart of the earth? Jesus' beating was part of His payment/suffering on earth till He died. I don't see how we would not include that period of time in the 3 days. It was all that He suffered. He didn't suffer after He died. it was finished>>

AMEN. Thank and praise God for his infinite love and mercy through Jesus Christ our Lord God and Saviour.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well; the roots of the mountains aren't located in the tummies of fish, no; they're located down deep in the Earth. So, the only way that Jonah could
possibly be at the roots of the mountains while in the belly of a fish
simultaneously was for the man and his body to part company and go their
separate ways.

Nonsense. The only way that Jonah could possibly be at the roots of the mountains while in the belly of a fish simultaneously was for the writer to use figurative and literal LANGUAGE at once. By the way, mountains do not have roots; plants have roots. See?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said He would be in Paradise.

When Jesus died, he didn't go up, rather, he went down. (Matt 12:40, Ps
16:9-10, and Acts 2:25-31)

Paradise is structured such that its elements exist in more than one place.
For example: a city park system consists of any number of parks located in
any number of places, yet each individual park can still be correctly called a
city park.

For another example; the Pacific Crest Trail (a.k.a. PCT) traverses the
north/south length of three states-- California, Oregon, and Washington. No
matter where trekkers might be located on the trail at any given moment--
whether south at mile No.1 in Campo San Diego, or 2,140 trail-miles to the
north at Cascade Locks Oregon --they're all on the very same PCT regardless
of which State they happen to be passing thru.

Paradise is sort of like McDonalds too. There is only one McDonalds
Corporation but many franchises. No matter which franchise you happen to
dine in, it's all the same McDonalds Corporation whether in the USA, China,
Australia, Guam. Puerto Rico, etc.

I expect Paradise is sort of like those examples. There's a section of it in the
netherworld (Luke 16:19-31) another in a celestial region that Paul labeled
the third heaven (2Cor 12:2-4) and yet another is located with God up in
very heaven itself. (Rev 2:7)
_

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Fact of the matter is; we may safely attest that any day, whether a special day or not, wherein no manual labor is allowed, falls in the sabbath
category; which is not only Feast of Trumpets and Yom Kippur, but also the
first and last days of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. (Ex 12:16)

It is no <<fact of the matter .. any day, whether a special day or not, wherein no manual labor is allowed, falls in the sabbath category>>. And only the first day of UB is called a 'sabbath', and that, not in <(Ex 12:16)>, but in Leviticus 23:11,15.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Do you know WHY AFTER SETTLEMENT in the land of Canaan the fifteenth day of the First Month the first day unleavened bread was eaten is called a 'sabbath' day?

Because the first sheaf of winter harvest was CUT OFF and brought to the priest on the fourteenth and was "LAID PROSTRATE IN STORE" over the fifteenth; then on the sixteenth day of the First Month was it LIFTED, SHAKEN AND WAVED.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
First Sheaf of Winter Harvest

was “CUT OFF and brought to the priest”

“on The Selfsame BONE-Essential Day”

“the fourteenth day of the First Month”

and was "LAID PROSTRATE IN STORE"

“the fifteenth day of the First Month”

and was “LIFTED, SHAKEN AND WAVED

“the sixteenth day of the First Month”

and the Sanctuary was cleansed

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When Jesus died, he didn't go up, rather, he went down. (Matt 12:40, Ps
16:9-10, and Acts 2:25-31)

Paradise is structured such that its elements exist in more than one place.
For example: a city park system consists of any number of parks located in
any number of places, yet each individual park can still be correctly called a
city park.

For another example; the Pacific Crest Trail (a.k.a. PCT) traverses the
north/south length of three states-- California, Oregon, and Washington. No
matter where trekkers might be located on the trail at any given moment--
whether south at mile No.1 in Campo San Diego, or 2,140 trail-miles to the
north at Cascade Locks Oregon --they're all on the very same PCT regardless
of which State they happen to be passing thru.

Paradise is sort of like McDonalds too. There is only one McDonalds
Corporation but many franchises. No matter which franchise you happen to
dine in, it's all the same McDonalds Corporation whether in the USA, China,
Australia, Guam. Puerto Rico, etc.

I expect Paradise is sort of like those examples. There's a section of it in the
netherworld (Luke 16:19-31) another in a celestial region that Paul labeled
the third heaven (2Cor 12:2-4) and yet another is located with God up in
very heaven itself. (Rev 2:7)
_
Very much aware that Hades was divided - made that point. Frequently referred to as Abraham's Bosom was paradise and the dark dungeon type location deep in the earth caverns, which also was divided. Departed souls of unbelievers were separate from the fallen angels in the Abyss/Bottomless Pit.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Very much aware that Hades was divided - made that point. Frequently referred to as Abraham's Bosom was paradise and the dark dungeon type location deep in the earth caverns, which also was divided. Departed souls of unbelievers were separate from the fallen angels in the Abyss/Bottomless Pit.
Read. Gets 0/0

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense. The only way that Jonah could possibly be at the roots of the mountains while in the belly of a fish simultaneously was for the writer to use figurative and literal LANGUAGE at once. By the way, mountains do not have roots; plants have roots. See?
He was physically in the belly of a fish, but he quickly drowned and his soul was in Sheol, at the gates (with "bars" _ beneath the "mountains").

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is that time of year once again when WC graffiti invades and kills like black-spot fungi every surviving plant of good food.
Your posts sound vile, disrespectful, insulting.
"By their fruit you will know them."
Love, kindness, patience, self control, gentleness, joy, etc., these are some of the qualities of a born again Christian. Ask and you will receive - then the Holy Spirit can actually take up residence in you and start working in those areas that you apparently lack.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Your posts sound vile, disrespectful, insulting.
"By their fruit you will know them."
Love, kindness, patience, self control, gentleness, joy, etc., these are some of the qualities of a born again Christian. Ask and you will receive - then the Holy Spirit can actually take up residence in you and start working in those areas that you apparently lack.

Your posts sound nice, but are judgemental, disrespectful and insulting. "By their fruit you will know them" - the only fruit that interests me is, Scripture : Are anyone's posts, Scriptural - according to Scripture - consist with Scripture??
Love, kindness, patience, self control, gentleness, joy, etc., these are just empty words of some <<born again Christians>>. They ask but when they receive SCRIPTURE for answer- then even the Holy Spirit it seems cannot actually do anything further for those who apparently lack nothing, so full are they of themselves and their own wisdom and glory.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The correct Greek word for "grave" in the New Testament is commonly
thought to be háidēs (a.k.a. hades) but it's actually mnemeion (mnay-mi'
on), for example:

Matt 27:52-53 . . And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the
saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection,
and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Matt 27:59-60 . . And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a
clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in
the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and
departed.

John 11:18 . . Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the
grave four days already.

John 11:38 . . Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the
grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

John 12:17 . . The people therefore that was with him when he called
Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.

Those are only a smattering of examples from the New Testament where
grave is properly translated from mnemeion. Bible committees that render
háidēs as grave do so arbitrarily, i.e. by interpretation rather than by
translation. Caveat Lector.
_

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your posts sound nice, but are judgemental, disrespectful and insulting. "By their fruit you will know them" - the only fruit that interests me is, Scripture : Are anyone's posts, Scriptural - according to Scripture - consist with Scripture??
Love, kindness, patience, self control, gentleness, joy, etc., these are just empty words of some <<born again Christians>>. They ask but when they receive SCRIPTURE for answer- then even the Holy Spirit it seems cannot actually do anything further for those who apparently lack nothing, so full are they of themselves and their own wisdom and glory.

My posts were not personal until you got personal with everyone. Yes, I can be judgmental at times. Rebuke is good and needed. Iron sharpens iron.
Go back and read your comments, insults and mockery. The honest person judges himself, admits his flaws and the Holy Spirit convicts us as well. We feel guilt BECAUSE WE ARE GUILTY. If this conviction escapes you and you have not yet approached the Lord in godly sorrow then you will not change. God changes us by His Word - if you are humble. Pride is what keeps us from spiritual growth.
The only fruit that interests you is scripture? I don't think of His Word as fruit. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches. Fruit grows from the branches - qualities and attributes of Jesus. What do you think the Holy Spirit produces in the Christian? Fruit. SO YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR SPIRITUAL GROWTH? If you can honestly look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have the fruit of the Spirit, as in
(Gal. 5:22-23), what you lack, what you need work on, what areas you've seen improvement in, you will be doing yourself and everyone else a favor. We are all works in progress, which is sanctification btw. Sure people are hypocrites at times and words are empty but your words expressed an attitude, a mean spirit.
I remember hearing Chuck Swindol teach about that. He said attitude was everything. You can memorize the Bible and not discern the meaning and not be saved, have a poor attitude and do all sorts of evil. David Koresh comes to mind, some say He memorized the Bible. He had bad fruit and led many astray - into the flames!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The correct Greek word for "grave" in the New Testament is commonly
thought to be háidēs (a.k.a. hades) but it's actually mnemeion (mnay-mi'
on), for example:

Matt 27:52-53 . . And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the
saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection,
and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Matt 27:59-60 . . And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a
clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in
the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and
departed.

John 11:18 . . Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the
grave four days already.

John 11:38 . . Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the
grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

John 12:17 . . The people therefore that was with him when he called
Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.

Those are only a smattering of examples from the New Testament where
grave is properly translated from mnemeion. Bible committees that render
háidēs as grave do so arbitrarily, i.e. by interpretation rather than by
translation. Caveat Lector.
_
In those verses, the grave is a burial ground, a tom or six feet under.
But Sheol is deeper than six feet.
Sheol comes from the word shaol, which means to ask. Hades therefore is asking, demanding and requiring souls. It is hungry and unsatisfied. Satan us behind this drawing power and tempts the unsaved soul to come to Daddy. Fortunately, Hid has a drawing power of Grace to pull some to safety, but not all are willing.
"Can you discover the depths of God? Can you discover the limits if the Almighty? They are high as the heavens, what can you do? Deeper than Sheol, what can you know? Job 11:7,8
Obviously Sheol here is not the physical grave but mucher deeper than six feet.
"The departed spirits tremble
Under the waters and their inhabitants. Naked is Sheol before Him,
And Abaddon has no covering."
Job 26:5-6
This is the netherworld.
"I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it." Matt. 16:18
This isn't a reference to the gates in a cemetery or tomb, no gates kf Hades, also the Abyss/ The Bottomless Pit.
"For a fire is kindled in My anger,
And burns to the lowest part of Sheol, And consumes the earth with its yield, And sets on fire the foundations of the mountains. " Deut. 32:22
This is a key verse in understanding what and where the Lake of Fire is.
As we've seen volcanic eruptions forming lava lakes, in the end times, there will be a massive one formed.
"But he does not know the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of Sheol." Prov. 9:18
This is only a smattering of verses ... of course we have Jesus descriptive story in Luke 16:23-31, which is not symbolic language. It is not an allegory. If it was just a parable, there would not be specific names, Abraham and his spiritual location. Why describe two locations that exist after death in detail to symbolically mean something else if they did not exist? What moralvteuth would be gained by an abstract fabrication? Jesus parables were always about common experiences that people could relate to and draw meaning out of. His parables did not use detailed descriptions of fictional, abstract territories.
This of course debunks the view of soul sleep, a false doctrine among others touted by the SDA church.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just having this discussion earlier today. How could have Jesus rose again three days later when He supposedly died on Friday and rose again Sunday morning? I also hear speculation that it was also after 3 pm but I'm not sure where people have gotten that part since it's not in the Bible. I also heard that it was part of Jewish tradition that a soul stayed with a body until the third day so I get the significance of why Jesus would choose to rise again three days later,.. but I don't really think that it was three days though. :confused: (Not like it's that important of when He rose just the fact that He did, but with Easter right around the corner this thought came up in my mind.)

This topic gets brought up yearly, and rightly so. As you (and even a child) can understand, from Friday afternoon until pre-dawn Sunday morning in the night is nowhere near three days and three nights. Even if we count parts of days, 3 days would work better in a Gentile calendar, not a Jewish one that God and Jesus went strictly by to time all events. Since he was interred at sundown the day of his death, that would hardly constitute a Friday on the Jewish calendar as Shabbat was beginning. You have only left all day Saturday and a stingy slice of Sunday since days start at sundown. Not even 3 HALF days as that time span is less than 36 hours.

People then get creative and define "heart of the earth" as beginning, say, in the garden or at his trial, or maybe even the last supper. Do that and we can make Jesus in the grave any time we want, i.e one comes up with their premise and belief first, and then fits the scriptures to support it.

But Jesus was very clear in John 11:9-10 he asks the rhetorical question "are there not 12 hours in the day?" And the next verse he differentiates the day from the night, hence a time span of 72 hours in 3 days and 3 nights (although at night they more or less had watches, but the 12-hour concept is the same). Now, that gives us gnomonist and Sir Isaac Newton types an insight, as this was language with a hidden meaning, because you see, ALL days back then had 12 (seasonal) hours in a day. What Jesus was effectively asking, "Is not a day from sunrise to sunset?" and thus a night is sunset to sunrise. Now, if he's in the tomb 72 full hours, he'd have to arise 72 hours later. That means the resurrection occurred at sunset as Sunday was dawning (beginning) the same time of the day he was buried. So if we count back three calendar days from the start of Sunday, we come to Thursday. The start of Thursday is when he was in the tomb (as he arose by the start of Sunday). He was crucified Wednesday, and that was the 14th of Nisan to fulfill the Passover type (when the lambs were being slain), interred for the start of Unleavened Bread Sabbath (John 19:31) being the sinless Son of God represented by such, and arose 3 days later to fulfill the feast of Firstfruits which came on a Sunday during Passover week (not all Jews, though, some observed it Nisan 16 but some on the Sunday).

The fact that people disagree over this day of the week is proof there's no solid evidence that he was crucified on a Friday. The point is that he did rise again and it was three days later according to the bible. From what the bible says, as I have shown, we can deduce the day of the week. Friday is the tradition of men. Earliest Christians merely celebrated Passover to remember Jesus by.

Reactions: April_Rose