Three Days?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just having this discussion earlier today. How could have Jesus rose again three days later when He supposedly died on Friday and rose again Sunday morning? I also hear speculation that it was also after 3 pm but I'm not sure where people have gotten that part since it's not in the Bible. I also heard that it was part of Jewish tradition that a soul stayed with a body until the third day so I get the significance of why Jesus would choose to rise again three days later,.. but I don't really think that it was three days though. :confused: (Not like it's that important of when He rose just the fact that He did, but with Easter right around the corner this thought came up in my mind.)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just having this discussion earlier today. How could have Jesus rose again three days later when He supposedly died on Friday and rose again Sunday morning? I also hear speculation that it was also after 3 pm but I'm not sure where people have gotten that part since it's not in the Bible. I also heard that it was part of Jewish tradition that a soul stayed with a body until the third day so I get the significance of why Jesus would choose to rise again three days later,.. but I don't really think that it was three days though. :confused: (Not like it's that important of when He rose just the fact that He did, but with Easter right around the corner this thought came up in my mind.)
don't sweat it, it was on a, what we call Wednesday, after the Ninth hour, or 3:00 pm or 15:00 hours. Matthew 27:45 "Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour."
Matthew 27:46 "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

but REMEMBER, there was two sabbaths in that one week.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A preparation day was before feasts also which are called "high Sabbaths." Remember Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were that week. So it doesn't necessarily mean Friday before the "weekly" Sabbath.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The label "sabbath" isn't restricted to the routine seventh day of the civil
week. It also applies to special holy days. For example Yom Kippur and the
Feast of Trumpets are specifically categorized as sabbaths. (Lev 16:29-34 &
Lev 23:23-25)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum many years ago a Greek Orthodox priest gave us this explanation of the three days and three nights. These are his written words:

[On another thread, a related subject to this was brought up. However, since the topic was narrowed to discussions of whether the 6th day was legitimate or not, and since was only focused on 3day/night passages. I decided not to derail and to start another thread.

So the question is, how can Christ have risen on the third day, after three days, and once three days and nights have passed? Was Christ contradicting himself? No, but Christ was speaking in such a manner that not everyone could understand him, but that biblically both statements were true at the same time.

Remember that we have to look at how the early Christians thought about these things. They were taught directly by the Apostles and handed down the very Scriptures we have today. The early Church Fathers, the early liturgical sources, and Scripture itself answers this question.

Remember that Scripture clearly defines the first definitions of day and night. "The light he called day, and the darkness he called night." This was before sun and starts. Scripture is clear that there was darkness over all the earth (land) from noon to 3pm. St. Mark states that Christ was crucified at the 3rd hour of the day (9am). That means, for 3 hours light (day 9am-noon), or 3 hours darkness (night noon-3pm), for another three hours day again (3pm-sundown), then night (sundown to sunrise), then day again (sunrise to dark on Saturday), then night again.

This gives us three days and three nights.

"Heart of the earth" could mean the grave in general, but it also was a name for Golgatha (the place of the skull of Adam), namely, Jerusalem outside the walls. Jerusalem itself was known as the "heart of the world" and "heart of the land (earth)." Christ was crucified on mount calvary and buried right beneath it, the area collectively called Golgatha.

I really am not interested in debating with anyone. It took me several decades to research all of this and if you are opposed to it, then peace be with you.]

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my, you can look this up in Graiilhunter's Corner, But Christ was crucified on Friday. People like to adjust things...I find the humor in it. In this case the Jewish Holiday was as always scheduled by the moon. No wiggle room. In my discussion in Grailhunter's Corner I tracked the moon on this date....and other dates.....The Passover and Sabbath occurred on Saturday.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus ate his Seder the night of his arrest (Matt 26:17-20, Mark 14:12-17,
and Luke 22:7-15) whereas the Jews ate theirs after Jesus was dead and
buried. (John 13:1-2, John 18:28-29, John 19:13-14, and John 19:31)

In other words: Jesus ate his own dinner early, i.e. one night ahead of the
Jews' night.

OBJECTION: If Jesus had eaten early, then he would've broken the law of the
Passover, which is very strict in regard to the date.

RESPONSE: Jesus was a prophet in direct contact with God at all times. He
therefore would've been privy to the correct date. I think it's pretty safe to
assume that the Jews' religious calendar wasn't all that reliable back then.
_

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi again April, the Bible state he rose on the third day, he died near the end of the day on Friday as you mentioned, and again as you mentioned he rose on Sunday, Nisan 14-16. What really throws it into confusion is the day starting at 6 pm.

Reactions: April_Rose

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's confusing. (darkness and light overlap)

Gen 1:
[5a] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

[5b]And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The first day began at dusk, through the darkness (night) and to the light.(day)

We use a different method of sorts.
At 12:00 midnight...night officially ends...
At 12:01 A new day begins.

End of day, beginning of new day...
We call "MID-NIGHT"... lol
The "middle" of night is the beginning of Day?

Calendar Days, Lunar, Solar days, add a day (Feb 29), delete a day, jump ahead, fall behind... wavering!

Jesus' Death "three days", does not say "entire length" of day (as we count 24 hours).
His body was "dead" any portion of 3 evenings and 3 Light portions.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
39 hours vs 72 hours. The math does not add up. But the question is, was it intended to be a math problem?
The only suggestion I have heard, that makes sense explains it as a cliché of the time period.
It rained for forty-days and forty-nights...
Moses fasted for “forty days and forty nights...
Jonah was in the belly of the whale forty-days and forty-nights...
Christ was in the wilderness for forty-days and forty-nights...
Christ was in the "grave" for three-days and three-nights...
Meaning more of a completion of a plan or an event than an exact time period, stop watching days and nights.
Three days a short time....forty days a long time.

Any type of stop watch scenario to count this up, would have to be applied to the general understand of three days plus three nights, and if it was, they would never be able to figure time or express it to one another.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 12:40 . . For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's
belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of
the earth.

Seeing as how Jesus actually lived in the land of Israel those many years
ago, then it is my opinion that he is better qualified to define the hours of
day and night back then in his era than anyone in ours.

Accord to him: days were when the Sun is up, and nights were when the
Sun is down.

John 11:9-10 . . Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in
the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. But if
anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.

This world's light is of course the Sun.

FYI: In the very beginning, God made a distinct difference between night
and day on Earth; so that His day on Earth is not a 24-hour amalgam of light
and dark; rather, His day on Earth is when the Sun is up, and His night on
Earth is when the Sun is down.

Gen 1:4-5 . . God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the
light day, and the darkness he called night.

Gen 1:14 . . And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the
heaven to divide the day from the night

Gen 1:16 . .And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the
day, and the lesser light to rule the night.

Gen 1:17-18 . . And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give
light upon the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to
divide the light from the darkness.

If only people kept those God-given physical characteristics in mind when
working with the days and nights related to Matt 12:40, their calculations
would be greatly simplified.
_

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
39 hours vs 72 hours. The math does not add up. But the question is, was it intended to be a math problem?
The only suggestion I have heard, that makes sense explains it as a cliché of the time period.
It rained for forty-days and forty-nights...
Moses fasted for “forty days and forty nights...
Jonah was in the belly of the whale forty-days and forty-nights...
Christ was in the wilderness for forty-days and forty-nights...
Christ was in the "grave" for three-days and three-nights...
Meaning more of a completion of a plan or an event than an exact time period, stop watching days and nights.
Three days a short time....forty days a long time.

Any type of stop watch scenario to count this up, would have to be applied to the general understand of three days plus three nights, and if it was, they would never be able to figure time or express it to one another.
Just to add that the phrase three days and three nights is a Jewish idiom meaning "long enough to die."

There is a lot of disagreement on this and I wish I could remember where I read it, I think the author was someone called Biffin, his second name.

However I have found this
"
In Matthew 12:40, Jesus says that He will spend three days and three nights in the grave, as Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish. But if Jesus was crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday, He rose on the third day, but He only spent two nights in the grave. On the other hand, if we extend His stay in the tomb to include three nights, He would wind up rising on the fourth day.

The answer is that the phrase three days and three nights is an idiom that does not require there to be three nights.

Jonah was swallowed by the fish during the day time and was vomited out during the day time (Jonah 1:17—2:10). In order for that to be three days, only two nights could have been involved. Yet it is called three days and three nights. Similarly, in Esther 4:16—5:1, there is a fast for three days and three nights that begins on the first day and ends on the third day, which means only two nights were involved. So we must conclude that this is an idiom that observes that each of the days had a night associated with it.

No Title

The expression is indeed idiomatic, and explained in the Talmud as including partial days as well. – Lucian Jul 27 '19 at 11:42

Do Idioms Used in the Crucifixion Narrative Resolve the "3 Day/3 Night" Objections?

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's 3-1/2 days for the two witnesses?

Revelation 11:11 But after the three and a half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them. 12 Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad that I didn't have to sit by him. There wasn't any hot showers back then. o_O (Jesus I would have put up with though. :D)

OK, ok, this isn't "pet cemetery" or something, don't know if you've seen that movie, but when God resurrects someone their bodies are healthy.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello April

This is one of those topics that comes up every year, and I've debated it many times before. The big question is whether 3 days and 3 nights means a literal 3 days and 3 nights (72 hours) or if even a portion of a day counts as a whole day.

In the latter case a small portion of Friday, all of Saturday and a small portion of Sunday counts as a whole 3 days and 3 nights. Those that believe such point out that it is a "well known fact that 3 days and 3 nights is a well known Jewish idiom" to mean a portion of a day counts as a whole day.

I disagree with that theory. First off, I see have found no evidence that it is a well known idiom. John Calvin is the earliest source I have found of this claim, but he provides no evidence other than it is well known.

Second, if the Bible merely said "3 days", a point could be made. It says, however, 3 days and 3 nights. You cannot find even a portion of 3 days and 3 nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

There are many other things to examine in this topic. I'd rather not go into them all, but I will if someone wants me to. Athough, not for the purpose of debate; I've done that too many times on this forum in the past.

Overall, I believe the Bible shows he died around 3 PM Wednesday and resurrected sometime between 3 and 6 PM Saturday (or more specifically, before Sunset Saturday).

I'll let it be at that.