Tithing Or 2 Corinthians chs 8 & 9 - which is right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We can receive the teaching of the Holy Ghost when we compare spiritual thing with spiritual thing (1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv)).

You can ignore what I said to you or else you can consider it.

Because my doctrine is based on what the word of the Lord teaches.

The scripture doesn't contradict itself. And therefore the context of any given verse is never going to contradict the plain meaning of the verse. This is a first rule of hermeneutics.

And therefore, every singular scripture stands on its own as a bastion of spiritual truth.
OK.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture doesn't contradict itself. And therefore the context of any given verse is never going to contradict the plain meaning of the verse. This is a first rule of hermeneutics.

And therefore, every singular scripture stands on its own as a bastion of spiritual truth.
You give the First Rule of Hermeneutics, and then immediately violate the Second Rule of Hermeneutics!

Context, Context, CONTEXT!

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to tithe. I thought it was what God wanted me to do, so I didn't give it a second thought. I may have thought that anyone who didn't tithe was ripping off God. My life was already committed to God, including my money. So I didn't think about it.
But then I was challenged to reconsider my thinking on the topic. Where does it say in the New Testament that we are to tithe? I looked into it and found an instance where Jesus told someone to tithe. But then I realized that He was talking to a Jew who was still under the Law. I believe that there is also another instance where He told another to tithe but it was the same thing.
Since Jesus had yet to be sacrificed and shed His blood, and a covenant is only in effect after blood is shed, the Old Covenant was still the only covenant. But once He was crucified, raised from the dead and the New Covenant was in place, what, if any, would be the new teaching on giving?
I believe 2 Corinthians 8 & 9 holds the answers. What do you think?

Hi Ron!
When I see 2 Cor. 9:7 in particular as, Jesus say's it outright...to give what you have "purposed" in our hearts.

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Many still believe we are to tithe the 10th % but...back then it was barley, grain and such. Pastors and those who work to keep the flock in right standing with God are definitely to receive for their labor.
"For the Scripture says, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages."
1 Tim. 5:18

Pastors and elders are "worthy of double honor"...not sure the "honor" part includes only money but, they should still be paid for their work.

This was a tough one when first coming to Christ...the church I had started at was all about the money, so I gave out of the pittance I did have until I learned more...this church was definitely a name it claim it place...even had a second collection for the children, so as to teach them how to tithe...that did not sit well with me at all...they see what their parents are doing every week, can they not learn from them??! To me, it was just another money grab.
So, we give from our hearts, cheerfully or not at all...?

Reactions: Truman

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to tithe. I thought it was what God wanted me to do, so I didn't give it a second thought. I may have thought that anyone who didn't tithe was ripping off God. My life was already committed to God, including my money. So I didn't think about it.
But then I was challenged to reconsider my thinking on the topic. Where does it say in the New Testament that we are to tithe? I looked into it and found an instance where Jesus told someone to tithe. But then I realized that He was talking to a Jew who was still under the Law. I believe that there is also another instance where He told another to tithe but it was the same thing.
Since Jesus had yet to be sacrificed and shed His blood, and a covenant is only in effect after blood is shed, the Old Covenant was still the only covenant. But once He was crucified, raised from the dead and the New Covenant was in place, what, if any, would be the new teaching on giving?
I believe 2 Corinthians 8 & 9 holds the answers. What do you think?
Think that giving should be from the heart, out of gratitude, and should be best can afford to give, as for some 10 % to low an amount!

Reactions: Truman and Bobby Jo

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You give the First Rule of Hermeneutics, and then immediately violate the Second Rule of Hermeneutics!

Context, Context, CONTEXT!

Of course the context (both immediate and topical) gives added insight into the meaning of any text.

Reactions: marksman

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Ron!
When I see 2 Cor. 9:7 in particular as, Jesus say's it outright...to give what you have "purposed" in our hearts.

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Many still believe we are to tithe the 10th % but...back then it was barley, grain and such. Pastors and those who work to keep the flock in right standing with God are definitely to receive for their labor.
"For the Scripture says, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages."
1 Tim. 5:18

Pastors and elders are "worthy of double honor"...not sure the "honor" part includes only money but, they should still be paid for their work.

This was a tough one when first coming to Christ...the church I had started at was all about the money, so I gave out of the pittance I did have until I learned more...this church was definitely a name it claim it place...even had a second collection for the children, so as to teach them how to tithe...that did not sit well with me at all...they see what their parents are doing every week, can they not learn from them??! To me, it was just another money grab.
So, we give from our hearts, cheerfully or not at all...?
What if they had only collected from the children, and didn't collect from the adults....would it still be a money grab then?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if they had only collected from the children, and didn't collect from the adults....would it still be a money grab then?

Should the parents be the biblical example of true giving from the heart?? I would say so.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that it's a sin on the part of a church to want to teach the kids about tithing.

Well, maybe if you personally spent a bit over a year at said church, you might discern different perhaps?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, maybe if you personally spent a bit over a year at said church, you might discern different perhaps?
Perhaps...however I am of the personal opinion that we ought to teach our children about the things of the Lord from an early age; so I think that my understanding would continue to be along those lines.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps...however I am of the personal opinion that we ought to teach our children about the things of the Lord from an early age; so I think that my understanding would continue to be along those lines.

I do not disagree...as i mentioned before, the parents are to set Godly examples so, of course i would include that from an early age. My only issue was with a particular church and others like them who spend more time speaking of money and your "return investment", like God is a piggy bank. Nothing wrong to teach your child to "tithe" but, it should also be from their own hearts as well. And, most are still in grade school so, what is it teaching them if the money is handed to them from the mom or dad? Now, if they had a weekly allowance, then I could see them being taught the proper way...jmo.

Reactions: justbyfaith