Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barkley said:
I have to say that since I started tithing, the Lord has met every financial need I've had. You can trust Him to keep His word in this if you'll just step out in faith.
For me it is not a matter of stepping out in faith to "tithe", the question is, do I live under the law, or am I to just be a cheerful giver, praying about what amount I am led to give to my church and for other ministries.
I'm not suggesting giving nothing, but what amount, why 10%. What is His Word you are referring to?

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not easy to tithe and it never will be. But if we tithe from the heart and not what we think that we can give and do so with no publicity or something to that sort and doing it all for God, God does and will provide for us. If we allow our tithing to remain in secret from the public and only to Him.

Barkley

Feb 6, 2013
soupy said:
For me it is not a matter of stepping out in faith to "tithe", the question is, do I live under the law, or am I to just be a cheerful giver, praying about what amount I am led to give to my church and for other ministries.
I'm not suggesting giving nothing, but what amount, why 10%. What is His Word you are referring to?
Malachi 3:10 NIV
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Barkley said:
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
For those walking with Christ, giving is just a part of their lifestyle. This is not an issue with them.

Then who is this an issue with? The answer to that has to do with fearfulness and unbelief.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barkley said:
This OT verse doesn't tell me a follower of Christ to tithe today, I do not live under the law.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Malachi 3:8-12 DOES NOT TEACH TITHING AS IT IS TAUGHT TODAY!!

This scripture in Malachi has to be the scripture that is most often used for the topic of tithing. It also happens to be the most misunderstood and misinterpreted passed in the Bible.

Words have meaning, but today a different meaning has been given to words. Two people can use the same words, but are not conveying the same meaning. But not everyone uses sound principles of biblical interpretation.

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Mal 3:11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

To see Malachi 3:8-12 in its context, we must look at chapter 4, verse 4.

Mal 4:4 - Remember ye the law of Moses my servant...with the statutes and judgments.

All through Malachi's message to Israel, he was imploring them to return to a pure practice of the Law. One part of his message was for the people to fulfill the laws of tithes and offerings.

The first thing we need to observe is this: The practice of paying tithes was an important part of the Law of Moses.
Do you know and understand this?? WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES!

One of the major doctrines of the New Testament is that we are no longer under the LAW.

Paul ran into many that were trying to put new Christians under the Law of Moses, but Paul and other writers of the NT made it very clear that the Law has no jurisdiction over Believers in Jesus Christ -- WHO was the fulfillment of the Law.

Tithes and Offerings were such a big part of the Law that we would have to have some very clear teachings in the NT that these were not included in arguments against the Law. And, in fact, no such teachings were given and cannot be found in the NT. There are only 3 verses that mention tithes in the NT (not very many for such a MAJOR topic). And not one of them is advocating a system of tithes that should be practiced by New Testament Believers.

What Did Malachi Mean When He said, "Tithes and Offerings"?

Here is what modern day Preachers say it means. You probably have heard many other ones. They get quite creative in their "exposition" of the Word.

They say that a tithe is ten percent of your income which you must pay to the local church. And, only after you have paid your tithe are you in a position to give. That, they say, is what an offering is.

They never mention to you that there are 3 tithes in Malachi and what they were referring to. That is why the word is plural (tithes). There were 3 different purposes and 3 different ways that they were carried out. The word "offerings" is also in the plural and refers to 7 types of offerings, each having a specific purpose and a specific ritual that must be carried out.

I am not going to write all this out, but I will give you the references and you can look them up.

Three Different Tithes:
1. To the Levites for Their Maintenance. Numbers 18:21,24
2. For the Lord's Feasts and Sacrifices. Deuteronomy 14:22-26
3. Every Third Year a Tithe for the Poor. Deuteronomy 14:28,29

Some people debate whether there were 2 or 3 tithes, but I see these three.

What did Malachi have in mind when he said "offerings"? Did he have someone's personal income above and beyond 10% in mind?

Seven Different Offerings: (Using Zondervan Bible Dictionary)
1. Sin Offering - First mentioned at the consecration of Aaron, Exodus 29:10 and was a special expiatory sacrifice. A bullock was killed before the bronze altar and on its horns part of the sacrificial blood was smeared. The remainder was dashed against the base of the altar and the fat burned ceremonially. The flesh and skin were taken outside the tabernacle and burned separately. The Law of Sin Offering: (Lev. 4:1-35; 6:24-30, etc) provided for acts of unconscious transgression, mistakes or other inadvertences. No atonement could be made for deliberate rebellion against the covenant and its provisions (Num 15:30). the worshiper normally laid his hand on the head of the sin offering, symbolically designating it as his substitute in the sacrificial ritual. Poor people were permitted to offer two turtle-doves or a small amount of fine flour. The flesh that remained after portions had been burned belonged to the priest and was eaten in the sanctuary precincts. (Lev 5:13). A special sin offering for the Nation took place annually on the Day of Atonement. A bullock and goat were sacrificed and their blood ceremonially smeared on the mercy-seat. Another goat was driven into the wilderness after symbolic transfer of communal sin (Lev 16:1-28).

2. Trespass Offering - (Lev 5:14-6:7), or guilt offering, signified expiation and restitution and availed for inadvertent offenses, false swearing and improper dealings with a neighbor. By itself the offering made atonement towards God, but an additional one-fifth was required as a fine to compensate a neighbor adequately. The sacrificial ritual involved the slaughter of a ram, and was similar to that of the sin offering, although the imposition of hands and the sprinkling of blood in the holy places were not mentioned. Special offerings were required for the cleansing of a leper (Lev 14:12-20) and a defiled Nazirite (Num 6:12). All guilt offerings belonged to the priests and were most sacred in character.

3. Peace Offering - Symbolized right spiritual relations with God, and was among the earliest of the sacrificial offerings. The worshiper, if an ordinary Israelite, coud bring a bullock, a lamb or a goat, male or female and the ritual followed that of the sin-offering (Lev 3:1-17). If the worshiper was a priest the fatty portions of the animal were removed and burned on the altar of God, while the blood was sprinkled at the base of the sacrificial altar. The ritual for a goat followed that laid down for a bullock.

4. Meal Offering - Or meat offering (KJV), was instituted when Aaron and his sons were consecrated (Exod 29:41). It was forbidden to be offered on the altar of incense (Exod 30:9), but was used when the tabernacle was completed (Exod 40:29), and invariably accompanied the morning and evening burnt offerings. The ordinary Israelite was required to bring a mixture of fine flour, oil and frankincense prepared in a variety of ways (Lev 2:1-16), but without the addition of leaven or honey. All cereal offerings were to be seasoned with salt. The ritual for a priestly offerer required him to remove a token handful and burn it together with oil and frankincense as a memorial on the altar. What was left was most holy, and became priestly property.

5. Drink Offering - Or libations were common in the patriarchal period (Gen 28:18; 35:14) and accompanied many of the sacrifices (Exod 29:40). they could not be poured upon the golden altar of incense (Exod 30:9) and were required as an accompaniment of all freewill and votive offerings (Num 28:9) and other established feasts (Num 28:14-31; 29:6-39). The reference in Deut 32:38 indicates that dring offerings were common features of heathen cultic rituals. Oil and wine, used separately or as a mixture, constituted the normal libation.

6. Wave Offering - One part of the ritual associated with the Peace offering

7. Heave Offering - offering involved the wave and heave offerings. Both were apparently inititiated at the consecration of the Aaronic priesthood (Exod 29:24-28).

Well, if you were able to get through this ( I found it interesting ) then you will have seen that most Christians know very little about the Law with its ceremonial requirement. Because if they did, they would reject the New Testament Law of Tithes and Offerings.

Malachi's hearers understood what he was talking about. They knew he was referring to a complex SYSTEM of tithes and offerings.

It is intellectually dishonest to equate or maybe I should say, REDUCE Malachi's words to simply mean "Ten Percent of your income is the tithe and anything above is the offering".

There is no scriptural basis to change the meaning of those words and no justification for putting NT Christians under the burden of the LAW by telling them that they are REQUIRED to PAY. Of course, this is all couched in sermons on "GIVING".

FACTS:
1. Deut 14:24-25 shows that TITHES have nothing to do with MONEY.
2. The OFFERINGS of Malachi are the sacrifices which the NT declares have ended.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not Axehead, but I read 1 Cor 9.
Please explain how this is relevant, what do you believe it is saying in regard to tithing.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
soupy said:
I'm not Axehead, but I read 1 Cor 9.
Please explain how this is relevant, what do you believe it is saying in regard to tithing.
1 Corinthians 9:13-14
You know, surely, that those who do the temple’s work live on the
temple’s revenues; that those who preside at the altar share the altar’s
offerings. And so it is that the Lord has bidden the heralds of the gospel live by preaching the gospel.

You don't want to support the people who live to preach the gospel day in and day out, every day? Then how do you possibly commit to being a Christian unless you are doing it yourself?
Therefore, arguing against tithing if you have the finances to do so is like slapping Christendom in the face.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I don't believe anyone has ever stated that Christians do not give. Of course they give. That is the nature of the Spirit of Christ within them. We are saying that God did not put laws of payment and religious taxes upon the church. And 1 Cor 9 is a great example of that along with 2Cor 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

God no longer wants His children to pay under compulsion, but to give cheerfully. It is impossible for the requirement of paying the tithe to remain if God says that our giving is not under compulsion. If you owe it, you are under compulsion to pay it. The very act of paying tithes creates an act of "necessity" and 2 Cor 9:7, says "not grudgingly, or of necessity".

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say out of one side of your mouth that you are not to act out of necessity, or under compulsion -- and then out of the other side of your mouth say that God requires you to pay tithes.

Paul does "urge" the church several times to be "liberal" (generous) in their giving. But generosity is a foreign concept to the law of tithing. A tithe is 10 percent, no more and no less. You cannot be generous and be under the law of tithes, (whether one of the three OT laws of tithing or all 3 of them). But, today's preachers say that is where "offerings" come in. But that is not right. Not in a Biblical sense, anyway. The offerings of the Bible in the OT consisted of detailed rituals that were just as much a requirement as was tithing.

God wants us to forget the requirements of the Law. He wants us to live in response to the working of His grace in our hearts.

[SIZE=medium]Interestingly, He gives (entrusts) all things to us, and to jointly work with Him in His service and the Holy Spirit is now the leader in all matters and not the tithe, or any law or rules that come from man.[/SIZE]

And if the Holy Spirit is the leader in all matters, where does that leave the "clergy"?

Everything about tithing is inferior to New Covenant life in Christ and the Spirit of Grace.

Axehead

Reactions: jiggyfly

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
The Old Law is profitiable for reproof and correction. When people do not give generously, a tithe is imposed. If one is not living by the New Covenant, the Old Law falls back on them. That is why the government has the death penalty for example. It is stated in Romans that God has preeminance over government. When you fail the New Covenant, you become subject to the harshness of the Old.

That is a fact that is being neglected in today's world. Protestants have always been about the death penalty because of this- the very founders were burning people at the stakes all the same. There's hardly a sect today that doesn't have roots to that same detail. Christianity is not all flowers and butterflies, people need to understand that. God doesn't just wait until after death, He enacts wrath right on. That is what reaping what you sow is all about., even in forgiveness God demands satisfaction which is why you pay a penalty.

But back to central topic of tithing- you can either give to the church or preach, evangelize, whatever you think is Christian. Simply living your life normally and attending church is not charity.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
SilenceInMotion said:
The Old Law is profitiable for reproof and correction. When people do not give generously, a tithe is imposed. If one is not living by the New Covenant, the Old Law falls back on them. That is why the government has the death penalty for example. It is stated in Romans that God has preeminance over government. When you fail the New Covenant, you become subject to the harshness of the Old.

That is a fact that is being neglected in today's world. Protestants have always been about the death penalty because of this- the very founders were burning people at the stakes all the same. There's hardly a sect today that doesn't have roots to that same detail. Christianity is not all flowers and butterflies, people need to understand that. God doesn't just wait until after death, He enacts wrath right on. That is what reaping what you sow is all about., even in forgiveness God demands satisfaction which is why you pay a penalty.

But back to central topic of tithing- you can either give to the church or preach, evangelize, whatever you think is Christian. Simply living your life normally and attending church is not charity.
Are you serious? Please re-read what you said.
The Old Law is profitable for reproof and correction. When people do not give generously, a tithe is imposed. If one is not living by the New Covenant, the Old Law falls back on them. Jesus and the Apostles never taught what you are teaching.

Gal_3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal_3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Gal_3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal_3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

True believers don't need an OT Law to replace the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus. There is much mixture (unbelievers) in churches, today. Maybe you are thinking of unbelievers.

Interesting. SIM, that you openly imply that your religion is a religion of coercion and force.

Axehead

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Barkley said:
I have to say that since I started tithing, the Lord has met every financial need I've had. You can trust Him to keep His word in this if you'll just step out in faith.
I have to say that since I refused to tithe, the Lord has blessed me financially far and above anything I have ever experienced.

Are they connected? No. Neither is your logic, which is really just a repeated manipulation and con of pop-Christian leaders who make merchandise of GOD's people.

SilenceInMotion said:
1 Corinthians 9:13-14
You know, surely, that those who do the temple’s work live on the
temple’s revenues; that those who preside at the altar share the altar’s
offerings. And so it is that the Lord has bidden the heralds of the gospel live by preaching the gospel.

You don't want to support the people who live to preach the gospel day in and day out, every day? Then how do you possibly commit to being a Christian unless you are doing it yourself?
Therefore, arguing against tithing if you have the finances to do so is like slapping Christendom in the face.
Bearing false witness of GOD's word is a slap in GOD's face. Tithing and giving are two entirely separate issues.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Wayne said:
Only think I know about tithing is you need to have your heart in the right place and should tith 10% of you making. Yes, that all I know and I think I am right about what I said and if not please corrected me. :) I am think about tithing more because I tiths once and while and now seem like everything about money life seem good.
"People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to."
- Malcom Muggeridge British Journalist

A great deal has been written about mental programming, social conditioning and the associated dogmas and restrictions that are inherent in any religious community. It is certainly true for Christians and their Jewish forebears. The Jews created the legal traditions that twenty first century Christians continue to stick to - like flies on sticky paper. The subject of tithing is one such sticky paper.

Despite thousands of years of tradition that fills the wallets of religious organizations, little of Biblical truth is taken to heart in the matter. The sheep display no desire to be free of their ancient chains of tithing. Their shepherds are equally unwilling to release them from their artificial obligations despite the fact that Holy Writ indicates God's mind in the matter is operating at another level. God didn't intend for this situation to exist. It is entirely a creation of man.

The Bible as a whole is the story of God's redemptive acts to restore the relationship between Himself and man that was destroyed by sin. The death and resurrection of Jesus finished the restorative process. He enabled the creation of a new thing on the earth - the race of the second Adam. This group of people is not born of flesh and bone but of the Holy Spirit of God Himself. The New Testament speaks openly and often about this new creature, this new spiritual man and it was for the purpose of nurturing these new children of God that the church was created by Christ.

Every human family has the moral and emotional and divinely directed responsibility to nurture the children that God brings into their homes and lives. A child may have every physical gift necessary for life, but it must grow into its use and be taught how to use its life. In the same way every new spiritual child of God is born with all the necessary gifts for eternal life. They must be taught and nurtured, however and this is the task of the church.

Not for nothing has the church been called the body of Christ, the family of God and the bride of the Son of God. The highest calling for the church is to nurture those tender lives God has entrusted to it. The church was NOT created to build cathedrals, satellite TV ministries, to encourage a traveling snake oil ministry or to establish the chains of financial obligation upon its members.

Christians ought to be fed by the church, not milked by it!

Many have chosen to use scripture to forge the links in the chains of financial obligation and slavery . Some try to use scripture to set themselves free of it, arguing that man is most at liberty to give when he does so out of love. In no instance or pattern has the Bible EVER stated that money is to be used as a bribe to the Almighty for the purchase of a ticket through the pearly gates of paradise. Yet those who prefer to enslave their fellow man continue to adopt the policy of restriction and requirement.

If a man lives by the law he will be judged by the law.*

If a man lives by grace he will certainly find that Jesus has already suffered the judgment that man is due. He owes nothing because Jesus has paid the price in full. There is no guilt. There is also no weekly offering required by the First Bank of Heaven and no monthly statement.

Each man must decide in his own heart whether he will submit to the works of the law or the free gift of grace. As for me, I prefer grace in Christ Jesus.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*) How can the church claim salvation is free and then require a religious tax for the rest of one's natural life?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
The Tithe in the New testament
Only God has the right to say how much of our income shall be set aside and set apart unto Him. And He has so said clearly, repeatedly, in the Old Testament Scriptures, and there is nothing in the New Testament that introduces any change or that sets aside the teaching of the Old Testament on this important subject.

Christ Himself has placed His approval and set His imprimatur upon the tithe. "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matt. 23:23). In that verse Christ is rebuking the scribes and Pharisees because of their hypocrisy. They had been very strict and punctilious in tithing the herbs, but on the other hand they had neglected the weightier matters such as judgment, or justice, and mercy. But while Christ acknowledged that the observance of justice and mercy is more important than tithing—it is a "weightier matter"—while, He says, these they ought to have done, nevertheless He says, these other ye ought not to have left undone. He does not set aside the tithe. He places justice and mercy as being more weighty, but He places His authority upon the practice of tithing by saying, "These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." It is well for us if we by the grace of God have not omitted justice and mercy and faith: it is well if by the grace of God those things have found a place in our midst: but the tithing ought not to have been left undone, and Christ Himself says so.

The second passage to be noted is 1 Corinthians 9:13, 14: "Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel." The emphatic words there are, "Even so" in the beginning of the fourteenth verse. The word "tithe" is not found in these two verses but it is most clearly implied. In verse 13 the Holy Spirit reminds the New Testament saints that under the Mosaic economy God had made provision for the maintenance of those who ministered in the temple. Now then, He says, in this New Testament dispensation "Even so" (v. 14)—the same means and the same method are to be used in the support and maintaining of the preachers of the Gospel as were used in supporting the temple and its services of old. "Even so." It was the tithe that supported God’s servants in the Old Testament dispensation: "even so" God has ordained, and appointed that His servants in the New Testament dispensation shall be so provided for.

Referring next to 1 Corinthians 16:1 and 2: here again we find the word "tithe" does not actually occur, and yet once more it is plainly implied: the principle of it is there surely enough. "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." Now what does "laying by" imply? Certainly it signifies a definite predetermined act, rather than a spontaneous impulse, or just acting on the spur of the moment. Let us look at this again. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." (v. 2). Why are we told that? Why is it put that way’? Why use such an expression as "lay by in store"? Clearly that language points us back to Malachi 3:10. "Bring ye all the tithes into the _______" Where? The "storehouse"! That is where the tithes were to be brought. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse." Now what does God say here in Corinthians? "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." There is a clear reference here to the terms of Malachi 3, but that is not all. Look at it again. "Let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." That signifies a definite proportion of the income. Not "let every one of you lay by him in store, as he feels led"; it does not say that, nor does it say "let every one of you lay by him in store as he feels moved by the Spirit"; no indeed, it says nothing of the kind. It says, "Let every one . . . lay by him as God hath prospered him": in a proportionate way, according to a percentage basis. Now consider! If my income today is double what it was a year ago and I am not giving any more to the Lord’s cause than I gave then, then I am not giving "as the Lord hath prospered": I am not giving proportionately. But now the question arises, What proportion? What is the proportion that is according to the will of God? "As He hath prospered him." Can one man bring one proportion and another man bring another proportion, and yet both of them obey this precept? Must not all bring the same proportion in order to meet the requirements of this passage? Turn for a moment to 2 Corinthians 8:14: "But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality." Please note that this verse occurs in the middle of a chapter devoted to the subject of giving, and what is to be observed is, that at the beginning of verse 14 and at the end of it we have repeated the word "equality," which means that God’s people are all to give the same proportion of their means and the only proportion that God has specified anywhere in His Word is that of the tenth, or "tithe."

There is one other passage to be looked at, namely Hebrews 7:5 and 6: "And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he, whose descent is not counted from them, received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises." (Notice the order: "received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises"). And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better." In the seventh chapter of Hebrews the Holy Spirit through the apostle Paul is showing the superiority of Christ’s priesthood over the order of the priesthood of the Levites, and one of the proofs of which He establishes the transcendency of the Melehizedek order of the priesthood of Christ was that Abraham, the father of the chosen people, acknowledged the greatness of Melehizedek by rendering tithes to him.

The reference in Hebrews 7 is to what is recorded in Genesis 14, where we have two typical characters brought before us—Melchizedek, a type of Christ in three ways: first, in his person, combining the kingly and the priestly offices; second, a type of Christ in his names, combining righteousness and peace, for "Melchizedek" itself means "peace"; and third, a type of Christ in that he pronounced blessing on Abraham and brought forth bread and wine, the memorials of his death.

But not only was Melchizedek there a type of Christ, but Abraham was also a typical character, a representative character, seen there as the father of the faithful; and we find he acknowledged the priesthood of Melchizedek by giving him a tenth of the spoils which the Lord had enabled him to secure in vanquishing those kings, and as that is referred to in Hebrews, where the priesthood of Christ and our blessings from our relations to it and our obligation to it are set forth, the fact that Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek as mentioned there, indicates that as Abraham is the father of the faithful, so he left an example for us, his children, to follow—in rendering tithes unto Him of whom Melchizedek was the type. And the beautiful thing in connection with the Scripture is that the last time the tithe is mentioned in the Bible (here in Heb. 7) it links the tithe directly with Christ Himself. All intermediaries are removed. In the Old Testament the tithes were brought to the priests, then carried into the storehouse, but in the final reference in Scripture, the tithe is linked directly with Christ, showing us that our obligations in the matter are concerned directly with the great Head of the Church. AWP

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Only God has the right to say how much of our income shall be set aside and set apart unto Him. And He has so said clearly, repeatedly, in the Old Testament Scriptures, and there is nothing in the New Testament that introduces any change or that sets aside the teaching of the Old Testament on this important subject.

Christ Himself has placed His approval and set His imprimatur upon the tithe. "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matt. 23:23). In that verse Christ is rebuking the scribes and Pharisees because of their hypocrisy. They had been very strict and punctilious in tithing the herbs, but on the other hand they had neglected the weightier matters such as judgment, or justice, and mercy. But while Christ acknowledged that the observance of justice and mercy is more important than tithing—it is a "weightier matter"—while, He says, these they ought to have done, nevertheless He says, these other ye ought not to have left undone. He does not set aside the tithe. He places justice and mercy as being more weighty, but He places His authority upon the practice of tithing by saying, "These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." It is well for us if we by the grace of God have not omitted justice and mercy and faith: it is well if by the grace of God those things have found a place in our midst: but the tithing ought not to have been left undone, and Christ Himself says so.

The second passage to be noted is 1 Corinthians 9:13, 14: "Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the Gospel should live of the Gospel." The emphatic words there are, "Even so" in the beginning of the fourteenth verse. The word "tithe" is not found in these two verses but it is most clearly implied. In verse 13 the Holy Spirit reminds the New Testament saints that under the Mosaic economy God had made provision for the maintenance of those who ministered in the temple. Now then, He says, in this New Testament dispensation "Even so" (v. 14)—the same means and the same method are to be used in the support and maintaining of the preachers of the Gospel as were used in supporting the temple and its services of old. "Even so." It was the tithe that supported God’s servants in the Old Testament dispensation: "even so" God has ordained, and appointed that His servants in the New Testament dispensation shall be so provided for.

Referring next to 1 Corinthians 16:1 and 2: here again we find the word "tithe" does not actually occur, and yet once more it is plainly implied: the principle of it is there surely enough. "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." Now what does "laying by" imply? Certainly it signifies a definite predetermined act, rather than a spontaneous impulse, or just acting on the spur of the moment. Let us look at this again. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." (v. 2). Why are we told that? Why is it put that way’? Why use such an expression as "lay by in store"? Clearly that language points us back to Malachi 3:10. "Bring ye all the tithes into the _______" Where? The "storehouse"! That is where the tithes were to be brought. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse." Now what does God say here in Corinthians? "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." There is a clear reference here to the terms of Malachi 3, but that is not all. Look at it again. "Let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." That signifies a definite proportion of the income. Not "let every one of you lay by him in store, as he feels led"; it does not say that, nor does it say "let every one of you lay by him in store as he feels moved by the Spirit"; no indeed, it says nothing of the kind. It says, "Let every one . . . lay by him as God hath prospered him": in a proportionate way, according to a percentage basis. Now consider! If my income today is double what it was a year ago and I am not giving any more to the Lord’s cause than I gave then, then I am not giving "as the Lord hath prospered": I am not giving proportionately. But now the question arises, What proportion? What is the proportion that is according to the will of God? "As He hath prospered him." Can one man bring one proportion and another man bring another proportion, and yet both of them obey this precept? Must not all bring the same proportion in order to meet the requirements of this passage? Turn for a moment to 2 Corinthians 8:14: "But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality." Please note that this verse occurs in the middle of a chapter devoted to the subject of giving, and what is to be observed is, that at the beginning of verse 14 and at the end of it we have repeated the word "equality," which means that God’s people are all to give the same proportion of their means and the only proportion that God has specified anywhere in His Word is that of the tenth, or "tithe."

There is one other passage to be looked at, namely Hebrews 7:5 and 6: "And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he, whose descent is not counted from them, received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises." (Notice the order: "received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises"). And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better." In the seventh chapter of Hebrews the Holy Spirit through the apostle Paul is showing the superiority of Christ’s priesthood over the order of the priesthood of the Levites, and one of the proofs of which He establishes the transcendency of the Melehizedek order of the priesthood of Christ was that Abraham, the father of the chosen people, acknowledged the greatness of Melehizedek by rendering tithes to him.

The reference in Hebrews 7 is to what is recorded in Genesis 14, where we have two typical characters brought before us—Melchizedek, a type of Christ in three ways: first, in his person, combining the kingly and the priestly offices; second, a type of Christ in his names, combining righteousness and peace, for "Melchizedek" itself means "peace"; and third, a type of Christ in that he pronounced blessing on Abraham and brought forth bread and wine, the memorials of his death.

But not only was Melchizedek there a type of Christ, but Abraham was also a typical character, a representative character, seen there as the father of the faithful; and we find he acknowledged the priesthood of Melchizedek by giving him a tenth of the spoils which the Lord had enabled him to secure in vanquishing those kings, and as that is referred to in Hebrews, where the priesthood of Christ and our blessings from our relations to it and our obligation to it are set forth, the fact that Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek as mentioned there, indicates that as Abraham is the father of the faithful, so he left an example for us, his children, to follow—in rendering tithes unto Him of whom Melchizedek was the type. And the beautiful thing in connection with the Scripture is that the last time the tithe is mentioned in the Bible (here in Heb. 7) it links the tithe directly with Christ Himself. All intermediaries are removed. In the Old Testament the tithes were brought to the priests, then carried into the storehouse, but in the final reference in Scripture, the tithe is linked directly with Christ, showing us that our obligations in the matter are concerned directly with the great Head of the Church. AWP

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Where the tithing argument falls apart for those who use Abraham tithing Melchizedek (before the law) as a justification for tithing is that Abraham also was circumcised (before the law) and sacrificed animals to GOD (before the law). Are we to do the same? Of course not.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
Where the tithing argument falls apart for those who use Abraham tithing Melchizedek (before the law) as a justification for tithing is that Abraham also was circumcised (before the law) and sacrificed animals to GOD (before the law). Are we to do the same? Of course not.
In response to your comment:

2Ti 3:14-16

But as for (me)you, (I'll)continue in what (I)you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom (I)you learned it and how from childhood (I)you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make (me)you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
But as for (me)you, (I'll)continue in what (I)you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom (I)you learned it and how from childhood (I)you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make (me)you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
Which means what? You think people are supposed to sacrifice animals? Be circumcised? TIthe?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Jesus mentioned the tithe to the Pharisees not as endorsing it but by way of making a point. The Pharisees prided themselves in tithing but not the weightier matters of the law such as mercy and compassion.

Jesus spoke to those under the law as being under the law Himself. The NT was written in His blood and Jesus had not yet died and resurrected and that is why He did not talk against the tithe. In fact He did not abolish any law before the cross. On the cross He fulfilled (fill up to the full) the whole law and then all of it including all the ordinances and statutes were nailed with Him to the cross. The Christian now goes beyond the law. The Christian has given 100% of all he is and has to the Lord and when the Lord calls upon His children to do something, then they do it if they want to remain in fellowship with the Lord.

10% is old school (law, payment) 100% is new school (grace, giving)....by the Spirit and only by the Spirit. Because giving to the Lord is not about money it is about your whole heart and all that you have and are. Some people don't have money, but they have time and giftings and love...in short, they have Jesus. Freely give, because freely you have received.

I just answered that one. Here is a scripture for you.

Gal_4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

So, you see, Jesus was "made under the law" and lived under it and respected it and obey it. But, now He has called us to a higher law. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus which goes beyond the old law and is the basis of relationship with God through Christ.

Tithe is not implied there. If Paul meant to say tithe, he would have said it. Paul is not in the habit of "implying" things. He was a straight talker. On the contrary, Paul knew that putting laws on people was the antithesis of grace. And Christians should give only as a product of grace working in their hearts not law working in their hearts. Do you know why that is? Paul was gently and with grace reminding Believers to consider those who were spending a lot of their time, faithfully ministering to the church rather than using this time to work for earthly wages.

Referring next to 1 Corinthians 16:1 and 2: here again we find the word "tithe" does not actually occur, and yet once more it is plainly implied: the principle of it is there surely enough. "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." Now what does "laying by" imply? Certainly it signifies a definite predetermined act, rather than a spontaneous impulse, or just acting on the spur of the moment.
For such a weighty matter (law for NT Christians) God would be more forthright about this teaching in His word and we would not have to look for "implications", rather than declarations.

The Lord is very good at giving us declarations when it comes to NT doctrine. He does not rely on implications.

Let us look at this again. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." (v. 2). Why are we told that? Why is it put that way’? Why use such an expression as "lay by in store"? Clearly that language points us back to Malachi 3:10. "Bring ye all the tithes into the _______" Where? The "storehouse"! That is where the tithes were to be brought. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse." Now what does God say here in Corinthians? "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store." There is a clear reference here to the terms of Malachi 3, but that is not all. Look at it again. "Let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." That signifies a definite proportion of the income. Not "let every one of you lay by him in store, as he feels led"; it does not say that, nor does it say "let every one of you lay by him in store as he feels moved by the Spirit"; no indeed, it says nothing of the kind. It says, "Let every one . . . lay by him as God hath prospered him": in a proportionate way, according to a percentage basis. Now consider! If my income today is double what it was a year ago and I am not giving any more to the Lord’s cause than I gave then, then I am not giving "as the Lord hath prospered": I am not giving proportionately. But now the question arises, What proportion? What is the proportion that is according to the will of God? "As He hath prospered him." Can one man bring one proportion and another man bring another proportion, and yet both of them obey this precept? Must not all bring the same proportion in order to meet the requirements of this passage? Turn for a moment to 2 Corinthians 8:14: "But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality." Please note that this verse occurs in the middle of a chapter devoted to the subject of giving, and what is to be observed is, that at the beginning of verse 14 and at the end of it we have repeated the word "equality," which means that God’s people are all to give the same proportion of their means and the only proportion that God has specified anywhere in His Word is that of the tenth, or "tithe."
Read what I wrote about Malachi 3:10

Deut 14:24-25 shows that TITHES have nothing to do with MONEY.

The OFFERINGS of Malachi are the sacrifices which the NT declares have ended.

Read what I wrote about Melchizedek and Hebrews 7.

And here, too.

Old Testament - Payment System - Law
New Testament - Giving System - Love

God wants us to forget the requirements of the Law. He wants us to live in response to the working of His grace in our hearts.

Tithing is immaterial in the New Covenant.

God is seeking mature sons who will walk with him on the level of total commitment.

10% gives people a "way out" of total commitment.

Axehead