Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Axehead,

It seems as if you weren't including freewill offerings under the law. I challenged you because you didn't limit your statement to the Old Covenant, but referred to all as being 'OT'. Now it seems we are seeing the same thing. Amen.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are the tithe of the people. As such we are preserving the world. :)

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church also does not teach tithing, my pastor calls tithing legalism. I've searched the scriptures myself and don't view it as for today. Personally, I don't get hung up on 10%, I just look for need and good purpose to give, I'm very cheerful when giving.

It does teach this verse regarding giving.

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
(2 Corinthians 9:7 ESV)

liz

Jun 27, 2011
Axehead, I believe you've covered the subject of tithing very well. That woman on the video acts like a crazy woman or maybe she preaches like crazy! She could scare a lot of people into believing that they are thieves and are robbing God!

How can anyone feel blessed when their giving is associated with fear and condemnation? At the end, this woman begins to really stretch the scriptures and pronounces curses upon an entire church if the members don't practice tithing in a corporate fashion.

It seems to me that the reason why many people won't attend a church is because the preacher spends more time trying to get them to empty their pockets, than spending pulpit time on preaching the Word of God that will bring salvation and bestow blessings upon the members. People need to experience God's love and grace, but they can't when even the preacher doesn't know the loving kindness and tender mercies of God.

Tithing is an ugly word for many of the reasons you stated. It is made compulsory rather than voluntary. It makes some people visualize God as an ogre holding the offering basket in front of your nose and waiting for you to cough up what He demands (10%)!

Giving on the other hand, is very liberating and there is a genuine 'feel good' attitude on the part of the giver when the Holy Spirit prompts a person who to give to, how much to give, etc. I love the times when I have given 'secretly' and it was a matter between me and the Lord (Mt 6:1-4). I love what Jesus said about giving. I love how God took charge of the rebuilding of His temple which is described in the first three chapters of Ezra: God "stirred up" Cyrus, the Persian king to subsidize the project; there were 'freewill offerings' given; the people who helped were those 'whose spirit God had raised'; what was given 'was willingly offered'; the people 'gave after their ability' and 'willingly offered a freewill offering. They gave; they were not coerced; nobody put a guilt trip on them. I believe the Bible reveals God's heart in every matter and I think the teachings on NT tithing are erroneous and do not reflect God's character. I want to always seek after God's heart, and not man's interpretation of what they think God means about the scripture which is often taken out of context, or not addressed to NT believers.

Tithing is so controversial that it divides Christians, often in the same church. Two mega-churches in Asia at this present time, are embroiled in financial crisis over the use of tithes that support the pastors who live like the rich and famous, and have lied to the members about the use of church funds, all the while preaching on tithing and fund raising every Sunday. Look it up for yourself. These two churches, one in Malaysia and another in Singapore have been scandalized with world-wide attention over the pastors and church officials embezzling funds. It is all about money issues; all over the mismanagement of tithes and offerings which I believe is so grievous to the eyes and heart of God. It leads me to believe that tithing is used as a doctrine and ploy of Satan to tear apart the last days' church. And Satan is doing a good job- with our poor economy, many unemployed and experiencing financial hardship, and the salaried pastor who needs to maintain his standard of living, plus keep the church in operation, etc.

It says in James 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
Verse 17, But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good gruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Hi Liz,

Thanks for your contribution. The Lord has allowed you to see through the deception of this doctrine of "tithing" for the New Covenant Saint.

Law based = fear motivated = PAYMENT

Grace based = love motivated = GIVING

Here are some more fear based phrases spoke over the pulpit.

FEAR PREACHING: Heard from the "Pulpit".

The tithe is the Lord's. (So keep your hands off it)

If you don't tithe you are a God-robber. (Robbers are bad)

A curse will come on you if you don't tithe. (Pure fear)

Tithing rebukes the devourer. (Devil is gonna get you because you missed your payment. Forget about your landowner and paying your mortgage, the devil is worse).

The tithe is the connection to the covenant. (No tithe and you are not in covenant)

The tithe redeems the other 90-percent. (No tithe and you lose the other 90%)

Tithing qualifies you to receive more from God. (No tithe and you don't receive squat).

Tithing puts God first in your life. (No tithe and you are not a committed Christian).

If you don't tithe, God will take that 10-percent from you. (Ouch! Take, take, take)

If everyone tithed, churches would have plenty of money.
(It's your fault that churches are impoverished. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution).

Heaven will be shut up against you if you don't tithe.
(Ouch again!! Please God, I have to pay my bills or else they will throw me out on the street).

Miracle testimonies prove that tithing is God's will.
(You have no miracles in your life because God is not getting your payment).

God speaking to Samuel. The Israelites wanted a King and God was telling Samuel to tell the Israelites what they were going to get.

1Sa 8:9 Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.

1Sa 8:10 And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.
1Sa 8:11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
1Sa 8:12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
1Sa 8:13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
1Sa 8:14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.

1Sa 8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants. (Is the prophetic of the false New Covenant tithe?)

1Sa 8:16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.

1Sa 8:17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.

1Sa 8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day. 1Sa 8:19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;

1Sa 8:20 That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles

Not much has changed since this took place in Samuel's day. Men are still taken advantage of by others regarding Mammon (in the Church and out of the Church).
"Get all you can and can all you get."

Axehead

liz

Jun 27, 2011
You're a great teacher, Axehead! You have scriptures and experience to support your beliefs on this subject.

I heard a story years ago about someone who borrowed bus fare to get to the church where she regularly tithed. I don't think giving or tithing should result in a poverty mentality, neither should one give to get. There are folks who give from their gross wages only to run out of money before the end of the month. Some brag about tithing because they can afford to tithe, while many tithe as a ritual and struggle to live decently, buy a washing machine they need or groceries to feed their families (true stories, you know). So sad, so many living in bondage and/or under the authority of their church and pastor, rather than submitting to God's authority and His revelation of His Word.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
You're a great teacher, Axehead! You have scriptures and experience to support your beliefs on this subject.

I heard a story years ago about someone who borrowed bus fare to get to the church where she regularly tithed. I don't think giving or tithing should result in a poverty mentality, neither should one give to get. There are folks who give from their gross wages only to run out of money before the end of the month. Some brag about tithing because they can afford to tithe, while many tithe as a ritual and struggle to live decently, buy a washing machine they need or groceries to feed their families (true stories, you know). So sad, so many living in bondage and/or under the authority of their church and pastor, rather than submitting to God's authority and His revelation of His Word.

Hey there Liz,

There are some very sad stories about how men take advantage of others. In order to do that in the first place in the Church, one has to convince others that they should look to them as the "expert" in all things spiritual. And that is the way most of Christendom is set up today.

During the Last Supper, Jesus took some time to tell his disciples some very important things. One of these instructions/teachings that Jesus gave was how the disciples should interact with others.

Mat 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

From this teaching we see that no one should exercise dominion or authority over anyone else. In the Kingdom of God there is no hierarchy. There is Jesus and there are His followers. There is no one between Jesus and you or me. At least there is not suppose to be, according to Jesus. The religious world has set up a clergy / laity system and have implicitly communicated to the "pew sitters" that they (the clergy) have a BIG JESUS while the "pew sitters" have a "little jesus". And the people with the "BIG JESUS" teach the people with the "little jesus" that they know what is good for you and they know the Bible better than you (implicit message is that they are closer to Jesus than you are). So whatever they teach, the people believe because they have been conditioned by men to receive from men.

Unless a Christian makes a break from this kind of manipulation and control (through revelation by the Spirit), they will remain under bondage, being captive to men.

In 3 John, we are shown a little insight into someone who does like to have authority and dominion over men. His name was Diotrephes.

3Jn 1:9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
3Jn 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
3Jn 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

This man, Diotrephes, would not even receive the Apostle John, let alone any of the other brethern. Evidently, he had somehow maneuvered his way into power over the church in his area. I certainly feel sorry for those following him.

Well, there are many Diotrephes today, who love the preeminence and I will tell you that those who love the preeminence also are taking advantage of men and women, everyday.

I pray that people can be set free from this fear preaching by people that are "clouds without water" (Jude 1:12).

Blessings to you,
Axehead

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Someone said that the 10% tithing rule is not mentioned at all in the New Testament.

That may be true, but you won't convince church leaders of that when the annual pledge drive is under way. When its time for the money pitch to be made congregations are treated to a grand smorgasbord of guilt and responsibility. Guilt, which on any other occasion would be described as the domain of the devil, is created in the mind of the congregation. We're told that the proper salve for the wound is a generous exercise in check writing.

Is anybody ever really held accountable for the use of the money that's given?

The theme for these occasions isn't tithing, although that's the real purpose. Oh no. Its carefully and legalistically packaged in the guise of stewardship. Never mind that no one who is being asked to milk their wallet ever participates in making church policy. Let's be honest. The elders are usually nominated by a committee and rubber stamped during a congregational 'business meeting'. There's no real debate or consideration as the members gladly give away their right to decide what does and doesn't happen along with the money they've given to the keepers of the collective purse. It's all part of the great democratic system we've built up and which now appears to be quite shoddy and about to fall apart even as we look on. The purpose of church collectivism, not to be confused with communist collectivism even though there's really not much difference, is to remove as much money from the people as possible.

If salvation is free, why do we owe 10%?

It isn't an investment and it isn't a gift to God, who doesn't need it in the first place. What's done with it is anybody's guess. Since nobody seems to care how its handled it is often mishandled. Oh well they say, boys will be boys. And then next year comes around and its time for an expensive donation for everyone's favorite guilt trip. And then there are the building projects, and assorted bond sales, fund raisers and additional pitches for gold, but that's a subject for another thread I'm sure.....

The bottom line is that tithing is a tax on faith.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Someone said that the 10% tithing rule is not mentioned at all in the New Testament.

That may be true, but you won't convince church leaders of that when the annual pledge drive is under way. When its time for the money pitch to be made congregations are treated to a grand smorgasbord of guilt and responsibility. Guilt, which on any other occasion would be described as the domain of the devil, is created in the mind of the congregation. We're told that the proper salve for the wound is a generous exercise in check writing.

The theme for these occasions isn't tithing, although that's the real purpose. Oh no. Its carefully and legalistically packaged in the guise of stewardship. Never mind that no one who is being asked to milk their wallet ever participates in making church policy. Let's be honest. The elders are usually nominated by a committee and rubber stamped during a congregational 'business meeting'. There's no real debate or consideration as the members gladly give away their right to decide what does and doesn't happen along with the money they've given to the keepers of the collective purse. It's all part of the great democratic system we've built up and which now appears to be quite shoddy and about to fall apart even as we look on. The purpose of church collectivism, not to be confused with communist collectivism even though there's really not much difference, is to remove as much money from the people as possible.

It isn't an investment and it isn't a gift to God, who doesn't need it in the first place. What's done with it is anybody's guess. Since nobody seems to care how its handled it is often mishandled. Oh well they say, boys will be boys. And then next year comes around and its time for an expensive donation for everyone's favorite guilt trip. Is anybody ever held accountable? hmmm? And then there are the building projects and assorted bond sales fund raisers and additional pitches for gold, but that's a subject for another thread I'm sure.....

The bottom line is that tithing is a tax on faith.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

But isn't it wonderful that you can get rid of your guilt by paying your religious taxes. And it only costs you 10%.

"Such a deal!!"

Thanks Rip.

Axehead

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I know of the tithing commands of the OT to give of the agricultural produce and animals. Does anyone have any scriptural reference commanding tithing of money, gold, manufactured goods, fish, etc.? I've heard many preachers preach that the first 10% belongs to God, but in the OT it was the 10th animal (not the 1st) to pass under the bar that was the Lord's.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clergy need to eat sometimes.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Clergy need to eat sometimes.

They could always make tents like Paul did and earn some money. But then there is the whole problem with this division of Believers (Clergy / Laity).

Did you know that Jesus said He "hated the deeds of the Nicolaitans", twice?

I can understand why since He doesn't take too kind to people coming between Him and His sheep. He is the only Mediator.

Axehead

Reactions: jiggyfly

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They could always make tents like Paul did and earn some money. But then there is the whole problem with this division of Believers (Clergy / Laity).

Did you know that Jesus said He "hated the deeds of the Nicolaitans", twice?

I can understand why since He doesn't take too kind to people coming between Him and His sheep. He is the only Mediator.

Axehead

Have you ever worked in a ministry? It is beyond a full time job.

Jesus also told the disciples that the people they were ministering to should be willing to feed them.

As far as Jesus being the only mediator between humanity and God - you are not going to find an orthodox Christian who disagrees with you. Jesus was not happy with people like the Pharisees that were making it difficult for people to come to God - not people who were leading people to God.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Actually, tithing does not derive from Abraham and Melchizedek.

There are two instances where tithing is referred to BEFORE the LAW:

1. When Abraham gave a tenth to Melchizedek, king of Salem and "a priest of God Most High" (Genesis 14:17-20)

2. When Jacob promised to give a tenth to God when he returned in safety to his father's house.

There are two observations that are never mentioned in of the sermons that you hear, today. They are:

Both of these instances of "tithing" were ONE TIME EVENTS. There is no indication at all that these men practiced "tithing" on any consistent basis, whatsoever.

There are no commands from God for these men to give a tenth of what they had. There were commands from God to practice circumcision and to build altars, but no command was ever given about tithing until the institution of the Law.

Therefore you cannot make a logical or scriptural argument that Tithing was practiced before the Law, was a part of the Law and therefore should be practiced after the Law.

Malachi 3:8-12 DOES NOT TEACH TITHING AS IT IS TAUGHT TODAY!!

This scripture in Malachi has to be the scripture that is most often used for the topic of tithing. It also happens to be the most misunderstood and misinterpreted passed in the Bible.

Words have meaning, but today a different meaning has been given to words. Two people can use the same words, but are not conveying the same meaning. But not everyone uses sound principles of biblical interpretation.

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Mal 3:11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

Mal 3:12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

To see Malachi 3:8-12 in its context, we must look at chapter 4, verse 4.

Mal 4:4 - Remember ye the law of Moses my servant...with the statutes and judgments.

All through Malachi's message to Israel, he was imploring them to return to a pure practice of the Law. One part of his message was for the people to fulfill the laws of tithes and offerings.

The first thing we need to observe is this: The practice of paying tithes was an important part of the Law of Moses.

Do you know and understand this?? WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES!

One of the major doctrines of the New Testament is that we are no longer under the LAW.

Paul ran into many that were trying to put new Christians under the Law of Moses, but Paul and other writers of the NT made it very clear that the Law has no jurisdiction over Believers in Jesus Christ who walk after the Spirit -- Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of the Law or "the end of Law" to all who believe (belief means walking in the Spirit, because even the demons believe).

Tithes and Offerings were such a big part of the Law that we would have to have some very clear teachings in the NT that these were not included in arguments against the Law. And, in fact, no such teachings were given and cannot be found in the NT. There are only 3 verses that mention tithes in the NT (not very many for such a MAJOR topic). And not one of them is advocating a system of tithes that should be practiced by New Testament Believers.

What Did Malachi Mean When He said, "Tithes and Offerings"?

Here is what modern day Preachers say it means. You probably have heard many other ones. They get quite creative in their "exposition" of the Word.

They say that a tithe is ten percent of your income which you must pay to the local church. And, only after you have paid your tithe are you in a position to give. That, they say, is what an offering is.

They never mention to you that there are 3 tithes in Malachi and what they were referring to. That is why the word is plural (tithes). There were 3 different purposes and 3 different ways that they were carried out. The word "offerings" is also in the plural and refers to 7 types of offerings, each having a specific purpose and a specific ritual that must be carried out.

I am not going to write all this out, but I will give you the references and you can look them up.

Three Different Tithes:

1. To the Levites for Their Maintenance. Numbers 18:21,24

2. For the Lord's Feasts and Sacrifices. Deuteronomy 14:22-26

3. Every Third Year a Tithe for the Poor. Deuteronomy 14:28,29

Some people debate whether there were 2 or 3 tithes, but I see these three.

What did Malachi have in mind when he said "offerings"? Did he have someone's personal income above and beyond 10% in mind?

Seven Different Offerings: (Using Zondervan Bible Dictionary)
1. Sin Offering - First mentioned at the consecration of Aaron, Exodus 29:10 and was a special expiatory sacrifice. A bullock was killed before the bronze altar and on its horns part of the sacrificial blood was smeared. The remainder was dashed against the base of the altar and the fat burned ceremonially. The flesh and skin were taken outside the tabernacle and burned separately. The Law of Sin Offering: (Lev. 4:1-35; 6:24-30, etc) provided for acts of unconscious transgression, mistakes or other inadvertences. No atonement could be made for deliberate rebellion against the covenant and its provisions (Num 15:30). the worshiper normally laid his hand on the head of the sin offering, symbolically designating it as his substitute in the sacrificial ritual. Poor people were permitted to offer two turtle-doves or a small amount of fine flour. The flesh that remained after portions had been burned belonged to the priest and was eaten in the sanctuary precincts. (Lev 5:13). A special sin offering for the Nation took place annually on the Day of Atonement. A bullock and goat were sacrificed and their blood ceremonially smeared on the mercy-seat. Another goat was driven into the wilderness after symbolic transfer of communal sin (Lev 16:1-28).

2. Trespass Offering - (Lev 5:14-6:7), or guilt offering, signified expiation and restitution and availed for inadvertent offenses, false swearing and improper dealings with a neighbor. By itself the offering made atonement towards God, but an additional one-fifth was required as a fine to compensate a neighbor adequately. The sacrificial ritual involved the slaughter of a ram, and was similar to that of the sin offering, although the imposition of hands and the sprinkling of blood in the holy places were not mentioned. Special offerings were required for the cleansing of a leper (Lev 14:12-20) and a defiled Nazirite (Num 6:12). All guilt offerings belonged to the priests and were most sacred in character.

3. Peace Offering - Symbolized right spiritual relations with God, and was among the earliest of the sacrificial offerings. The worshiper, if an ordinary Israelite, coud bring a bullock, a lamb or a goat, male or female and the ritual followed that of the sin-offering (Lev 3:1-17). If the worshiper was a priest the fatty portions of the animal were removed and burned on the altar of God, while the blood was sprinkled at the base of the sacrificial altar. The ritual for a goat followed that laid down for a bullock.

4. Meal Offering - Or meat offering (KJV), was instituted when Aaron and his sons were consecrated (Exod 29:41). It was forbidden to be offered on the altar of incense (Exod 30:9), but was used when the tabernacle was completed (Exod 40:29), and invariably accompanied the morning and evening burnt offerings. The ordinary Israelite was required to bring a mixture of fine flour, oil and frankincense prepared in a variety of ways (Lev 2:1-16), but without the addition of leaven or honey. All cereal offerings were to be seasoned with salt. The ritual for a priestly offerer required him to remove a token handful and burn it together with oil and frankincense as a memorial on the altar. What was left was most holy, and became priestly property.

5. Drink Offering - Or libations were common in the patriarchal period (Gen 28:18; 35:14) and accompanied many of the sacrifices (Exod 29:40). they could not be poured upon the golden altar of incense (Exod 30:9) and were required as an accompaniment of all freewill and votive offerings (Num 28:9) and other established feasts (Num 28:14-31; 29:6-39). The reference in Deut 32:38 indicates that dring offerings were common features of heathen cultic rituals. Oil and wine, used separately or as a mixture, constituted the normal libation.

6. Wave Offering - One part of the ritual associated with the Peace offering

7. Heave Offering - offering involved the wave and heave offerings. Both were apparently inititiated at the consecration of the Aaronic priesthood (Exod 29:24-28).

Well, if you were able to get through this ( I found it interesting ) then you will have seen that most Christians know very little about the Law with its ceremonial requirement. Because if they did, they would reject the New Testament Law of Tithes and Offerings.

Malachi's hearers understood what he was talking about. They knew he was referring to a complex SYSTEM of tithes and offerings.

It is intellectually dishonest to equate or maybe I should say, REDUCE Malachi's words to simply mean "Ten Percent of your income is the tithe and anything above is the offering".

There is no scriptural basis to change the meaning of those words and no justification for putting NT Christians under the burden of the LAW by telling them that they are REQUIRED to PAY. Of course, this is all couched in sermons on "GIVING".

FACTS:
1. Deut 14:24-25 shows that TITHES have nothing to do with MONEY.

2. The OFFERINGS of Malachi are the sacrifices which the NT declares have ended.

The Offerings that the Tithe was based on, have ended and for good reason as our relationship with the Lord is one of relationship and not rules and regulations.

Axehead

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Wayne,
Give what you determine in your heart. In the old testament tithing was required because the Levites could not own land, therefore could not raise their own crops or livestock. Do not let anyone tell you that you must give 10% of your income, it just isn't in the new testament and we are either in the age of grace or we still follow the law and the ministers, and their family, should not be allowed to own property or have outside income.

One church I attended never mentioned receiving tithes and another always did. Both churches had around 250 members. The church that ask for tithes never announced how much money was received each Sunday. The other church that only asked for offerings did, and they had offerings over $3,500 each week. Hard to see the need to ask for tithes when Christians give generously anyway.

I am Second

Jan 22, 2013
USA
Don't you think that the Law of Tithing in the New Covenant would be mentioned at least one time, one little time in the New Testament??? The fact is, that TITHING IS NEVER TAUGHT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
Jesus mentioned it Himself in Matthew 23:23

23 "What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens,[g] but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi 2
Welcome aboard....Matthew 23:23 he was speaking to those who were under the law even though he himself was under the law, he came to not only fulfill the law but to surpass it through a new covenant - not yet established at that time... ^_^

Shalom!!!

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything we have is God's, not ours. As He made the heaven and earth. So we need to always remember that. And give up 10% and beyond that even.As everything belongs to Him. No matter what!

I try to tithe almost all the time. As it is not easy for me to being on disability. But I feel led by God to do so! As it is His money as well!

Barkley

Feb 6, 2013
I have to say that since I started tithing, the Lord has met every financial need I've had. You can trust Him to keep His word in this if you'll just step out in faith.