To the Curmudgeons posting and responding with sour grapes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that verses 21-23 was about 19-20??? Let's stop all the nasty, sarcastic posts and responses and grow up!

19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that verses 21-23 was about 19-20??? Let's stop all the nasty, sarcastic posts and responses and grow up!

19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Well I think we all know judgment is coming, but I don't think the cast majority of people are worthy to judge. So what is your point?

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This was aid to some Jews prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not universally applicable.

Salvation is not by works: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This was aid to some Jews prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not universally applicable.

Salvation is not by works: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
To the Jew first, then the Gentile.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I think we all know judgment is coming, but I don't think the cast majority of people are worthy to judge. So what is your point?

I'm not worried about sin because my old sin nature has already been dealt with and I'm righteous, and I don't sin willfully sins unto death. But the church doesn't talk much about the importance of holiness and perfection, but Jesus did. Those have to do with the fruit of the Spirit, not the sin nature, and it looks like we are responsible.

Got any tips for maturing your fruit?

2 Peter 1:9 He's talking about maturing in the fruit

9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Jim. Faith without works is dead.

What is your definition of grace here? How does it apply?

Also, the Sermon on the Mount is not to the Pharisees. Jesus did not teach the people the Old Covenant, except in correcting the Pharisees. Matthew 5-7 is teaching what the New Covenant will be like. Who told you differently? Jesus said to the apostles to teach us to observe all the things He said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not worried about sin because my old sin nature has already been dealt with and I'm righteous, and I don't sin willfully sins unto death. But the church doesn't talk much about the importance of holiness and perfection, but Jesus did. Those have to do with the fruit of the Spirit, not the sin nature, and it looks like we are responsible.

Got any tips for maturing your fruit?

2 Peter 1:9 He's talking about maturing in the fruit

9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
God provides the fruit of the spirit, see Galatians 5:22-25. Works that bear those fruits are acceptable to God. But they will not save you. Helping the poor is one of those methods, obeying the commandments, attending church services, reading the scriptures, praying, etc.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God provides the fruit of the spirit, see Galatians 5:22-25. Works that bear those fruits are acceptable to God. But they will not save you. Helping the poor is one of those methods, obeying the commandments, attending church services, reading the scriptures, praying, etc.
Maybe that's the problem. Not everyone in church is born again of the Spirit. No Spirit/No fruit. Do you know any scriptures to back that up?

Reactions: Rapture Bound

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn't fit 2 Peter 1:5-9, because part of becoming born again of the Spirit is being cleansed of all sin. And verse 9 says that's happened.
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

:IDK:

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe that's the problem. Not everyone in church is born again of the Spirit. No Spirit/No fruit. Do you know any scriptures to back that up?
This is why we never agree, you're posts come across as if you don't think people have the spirit. Plenty of people are with God's spirit. God loves everyone and wants to bless them.

Acts 2:17
‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jim. Faith without works is dead.

What is your definition of grace here? How does it apply?

Also, the Sermon on the Mount is not to the Pharisees. Jesus did not teach the people the Old Covenant, except in correcting the Pharisees. Matthew 5-7 is teaching what the New Covenant will be like. Who told you differently? Jesus said to the apostles to teach us to observe all the things He said.
Suppose someone can't perform "works"? Does that mean that their faith is dead? We are supposed to maintain our faith until we die, but old people can't necessarily do "works". BTW, "grace" isn't mentioned. It is "undeserved favor", something that we can't earn by works.

I never said that the Sermon on the Mount was to the Pharisees. Jesus was speaking to the Jewish people, telling them what God expects from them when the kingdom of God arrives.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suppose someone can't perform "works"? Does that mean that their faith is dead? We are supposed to maintain our faith until we die, but old people can't necessarily do "works". BTW, "grace" isn't mentioned. It is "undeserved favor", something that we can't earn by works.

I never said that the Sermon on the Mount was to the Pharisees. Jesus was speaking to the Jewish people, telling them what God expects from them when the kingdom of God arrives.
You said: This was aid to some Jews prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not universally applicable.

If you are part of the New Covenant, then it is applicable to you and me.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

An old person can perform love until they die. Works is not physical, but spiritual. The OP is about the fruit of the Spirit.

Reactions: Jn1.Chris

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: This was aid to some Jews prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not universally applicable.

If you are part of the New Covenant, then it is applicable to you and me.
I'm posting this again. Please read it.

Suppose someone can't perform "works"? Does that mean that their faith is dead? We are supposed to maintain our faith until we die, but old people can't necessarily do "works".

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An old person can perform love until they die. Works is not physical, but spiritual. The OP is about the fruit of the Spirit.
Love isn't "works". That is not what is meant in the Bible. "Works" means physical activity.

James explained this difference perfectly: "But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from works, and I by my works will show you faith." James 2:18

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love isn't "works". That is not what is meant in the Bible. "Works" means physical activity.

James explained this difference perfectly: "But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from works, and I by my works will show you faith." James 2:18
You were referring to an old man.

But yes, the works that Paul was referring to (that the lukewarm false church wants to claim is keeping the commandments, was actually what the Judaizers wanted the Galatians to add in order to be saves: circumcision, keeping the Sabbath and feasts, and ever since God cleansed unclean meats that represented all Gentiles, there are no longer meat laws.

Reactions: Wynona

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While it is NOT nice to label or call any names or to consider their opinions or thoughts on the word of God as " sour grapes", we must all have as follows;
Ephesians 1:18
"The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints".

Just because one believes in sinless perfection, confessing and repenting of sin after believing, that it is possible to fall away from after believing in God, and the many excessive diverse understandings in people does not make them ALL wrong !

Reactions: dev553344

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why we never agree, you're posts come across as if you don't think people have the spirit. Plenty of people are with God's spirit. God loves everyone and wants to bless them.

Acts 2:17
‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.
Do we have to agree to have a discussion? Here is something on fruit, you might want to look at, then we're done if you can choose to be offended.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

• Love
Reactions: Jim B