Today's teens "most well-behaved on record"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Today's teenagers are the best-behaved generation on record

""The Centers for Disease Control released a monster report last week on the state of Americans' health. The 511-page report makes one thing abundantly clear: teens are behaving better right now than pretty much any other time since the federal government began collecting data."

Violent crime, drug use, birth rates, and even exercise rates all paint a consistent picture of today's teenagers being measurably better behaved than any generation since the statistics have been collected.

For some reason when I saw this, I immediately thought of how it will irritate some of the older folks I know, including some in this forum...probably because of all the times I've seen you guys (you know who you are) gripe about "those kids today". :p

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Things are getting better - that is for sure. We can see the work of the HS in the world everyday. Too many Christians today think their job is to man a sinking ship, but not too well, of course......i mean, if the ship stops sinking, we are calling Jesus a liar.....

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
HUH?????????
Are you kiddin me...............where ya livin.....what rock ? :)

Things are gettin better..................again what rock? :)

And if they seem to be getting better to you................so what............they can be goodie two shoes..........but if they don't know Christ
what good is being good.

I live in the United States................and 65% of those who call themselves Christians believe we have the son of satan for president.

I know....I know..............what's with RANDOR today?

Sorry..............had to get it off my chest :)........................carry on. :)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” ― Socrates

Also check out - www.mentalfloss.com - 15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything

I am afraid complaining about youth says more about old people than the youth....

Spunkin

May 30, 2014
when I was in school... and no, we weren't still using the horse and buggy - bad school behavior was chewing gum, spit wads, pulling someone's pigtails (often mine), maybe being late for class or not having homework done. not much else.

what are kids today in trouble for at the schools?

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Huh...lets see.......drugs, sex, shooting other kids, no God, no prayers, worse gangs...
and since they are legalizing drugs right and left.....satan will be ever more powerful
in their lives.
Spunkin.......take the fonts up a notch...had to get the magnifying glass :)

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
:lol: :lol: I do that all the time too. It happens when you accidentally click that little "X" next to underline on the tool box.

Also.....

The youths of yesterday were allowed to be chastised by a neighbor, friend, stranger at the market, etc., if they were out of line. But nowadays, if a stranger was to let a child/teen know that their conduct it unbecoming, it's not uncommon for the situation to escalate and the adults get involved in a verbal altercation.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah yes........the good old days

when domestic violence.....child abuse.....drug abuse (valuim and uppers) were rappant and perfectly acceptable as long as it was never talked about. coke still used cocaine in its product - lsd was still legal

nothing new under the sun, people. Perhaps youth were more polite in public because adults were allowed to beat them into submission, but they are the same kids they have always been.

today, they have simply been armed with assault rifles and provided a wider range of dope by big business.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
RANDOR said:
Huh...lets see.......drugs, sex, shooting other kids, no God, no prayers, worse gangs...
and since they are legalizing drugs right and left.....satan will be ever more powerful
in their lives.
It's the last days, of course satan is gonna step on the gas pedal and try for one last charge. I'm wondering if O'bama 'persuaded' ( :lol:) these results to show how great and wonderful his 2 terms were ! I really wouldn't put it past him considering his smoke and mirrors MO. I'm surprised he hasn't falsely legalized running for a third term. :lol:

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, these statistics start in the 1950s, the headline on record is a bit sensationalist given that we have 50-65 years of data to look at.

The data, for instance, on "illicit substances" is rather laughable. It's just from the 1980s (not the decades when many drugs were first introduced), and doesn't account for the many varieties of drugs actually in use. Further, is this based on a poll or what metric is used? I'm not really into sifting through the report, but it would be interesting to see if the stats went beyond "Do you use drugs?"

All I see here is the progressive myth of progress on display, manipulated data and all. Aspen, all of those assumptions assume your assumptions are correct, because the data doesn't exist in this report. ;)

Remember: lies, damned lies and statistics.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hs - look at recorded history - pedophilia was payment for education throughout Hellenistic culture. Sparta trianed men to be sociopaths.

i have no problem with the idea that our culture is becoming more secular and that our country maybe in decline, but the death of American will come from big business, not apathy like Rome or low morality like ancient Greece or pre-emmancipation America

of course the other problem is that you have pointed out that have not provided "proof" AND dismissed statistics in the same post. how else are we supposed to provide proof?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Aspen, you have to understand a couple of things. First, fundamentalist/conservative Christianity is predicated on the notion that everything is getting worse and the world is a terrible place. Listen to some of their radio shows or read some of their websites and you'll see this in spades...everything's bad and in rapid decline, especially those darned kids! Second, as we've seen with other subjects, their approach to information and data that doesn't tell them what they want to hear is to wave it away without really looking at it. "It's all a conspiracy by Obama and those progressives and even though I haven't looked at it very closely, I'm sure their methods are all wrong!!"

It's kinda why I posted this in the first place. Even though I know it's coming, it still amazes me when I see it.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
It's all over the news, papers every night............that things are beyond worse......
Just ask the kids

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
absolutely correct Jordan, fundamentalism worships the past instead of seeing and acknowledging the work of the holy spirit in the world

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of course the other problem is that you have pointed out that have not provided "proof" AND dismissed statistics in the same post. how else are we supposed to provide proof?
Because of the absurdity of the position. It's the most naive and irresponsible thing to present 50 years of recorded history as indicative of all of recorded human history. For those who like to come at things from an angle I expect to be scientific - and that is not a negative thing - I would expect the same exacting standards. I love you guys, but you are so intent on proving conservative bias and rooting out the fundamentalists that you are blinded to your own inconsistencies.

For example, both of you have jumped on me because I don't agree with your narrative. I've not stated the opposite, I just don't agree with you. You folks are the one who are as polarizing as any conservative fundamentalist I know. The right doesn't have the monopoly on fundamentalism.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
HammerStone said:
Because of the absurdity of the position. It's the most naive and irresponsible thing to present 50 years of recorded history as indicative of all of recorded human history.
Who did that, and where? Be specific.