Tongues and Related Issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do those scriptures compare to these scriptures?
1st Corinthians 12:4-10 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

Without charity toward another they are nothing.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without charity toward another they are nothing.

So the question still is, So tell me, what did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? How does the Holy Spirit do this. And to the earlier reference, my point was that the Holy Spirit is not a ghost.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question still is, So tell me, what did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? How does the Holy Spirit do this. And to the earlier reference, my point was that the Holy Spirit is not a ghost.
The bond of perfection is love. It’s sown in charity, not love of self.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok guys...the topic is the Holy Spirit....focus.....use both hands!
Galatians 5:22-24 KJV
[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. [24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Tecarta BibleSelf edification is not on the list

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:4 KJV
[4] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Tecarta BibleDoes anyone on this thread know what the word edify means?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we changing the topic again?

We are talking about gifts. We are talking about the Holy Spirit. We are talking about bread(Christ) for the hungry. If His fast is ...Isaiah 58:6-11
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? [8] Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. [9] Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; [10] And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday: [11] And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

Considering the verses on “living water will flow from them”
Considering God said He desire mercy and not sacrifice.
How is this not on topic with the Holy Spirit and the gifts and charity??

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question still is, What did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? How does the Holy Spirit do this?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not understand this speaking in tongues, as I've said before in other threads, speaking in tongues to me has always been associated with evil, possession, as Tabletalk as mentioned.

Is it a language that does not exist at all on this Earth? I mean no offense, I just really don't understand.
I only just saw your post here. Yes, there are people who pretend to have God's gift of unknown tongues and there are also some who have the gift but misuse it.

If you went to some of the churches I have attended some people there would be pushing you hard to speak in tongues. I won't do that even though I have been speaking in tongues since 1976. Now it is always a part of my daily communications with God and has been for quite a few years. One thing often taught by people it that 'speaking in tongues is a must' in order to have the Holy Spirit and 'it is a must to be saved'. I do not agree with either of those positions but I do, of course, believe that the gift from God does exist today. Like any gift of God it needs to be properly used. People will insist on the need to separate spiritual gifts from God and natural gifts and how we use them, but I do wonder about that.

For me any gift from God should be used as He would like for us to use it... whether it be spiritual or carnal.
Some people have a gift for music and usually when they are young they will work on that gift and develop it. Such a gift/talent can used to edify people in the things of God... or NOT. Probably all of know some good musicians who have used their gift for help themselves in this world of men. That is one of those natural gifts, but then we have what are described by some as spiritual gifts.

Speaking in tongues would be one of those spiritual gifts. Can a real gift from God be misused? Most certainly, even as a gifted speaker called by God to preach can use his gift to build up his own bank account instead using it to build up the kingdom of God.

I will testify to the gift of tongues still existing in people today. Some will deny that but for me it is a part of my testimony. I cannot deny it for to do so would for me be to deny God. I cannot do that. People who really know God, whether they also have this gift or not would go slow in condemning me if they believe at all what is written in scripture:

"I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying." I Cor 14:5

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:" I Cor 14:18

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
Let all things be done decently and in order." I Cor 14:39-40

Reactions: Grailhunter

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question still is, What did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? How does the Holy Spirit do this?
For some this is still future. In observation of the ones that presents the me gospel their the ones most in deficit of the Holy Spirit.... pleading for it to come. Always edifying self, evidence He hasn’t came.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not by tongues without charity. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

If a church building is full and every one is using their own individual prayer language and someone comes and they are too busy drinking down the Spirit and feeling good, speaking unclearly and unprofitable but each having an unknown tongue...the other goes away never encountering charity, saying “God is in you of a truth.”

Which is more important...tongues.
Or others Seeing Christ?

1 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
[26] I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: [27] But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
...without charity it is nothing and void and without power.
Doubtfully anyone will change their mind on the matter. It feels good, right? Forget what anyone says...it feels too good.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok this is going nowhere. You guys can start a thread titled “We talk in circles” some might relate to that.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only just saw your post here. Yes, there are people who pretend to have God's gift of unknown tongues and there are also some who have the gift but misuse it.

If you went to some of the churches I have attended some people there would be pushing you hard to speak in tongues. I won't do that even though I have been speaking in tongues since 1976. Now it is always a part of my daily communications with God and has been for quite a few years. One thing often taught by people it that 'speaking in tongues is a must' in order to have the Holy Spirit and 'it is a must to be saved'. I do not agree with either of those positions but I do, of course, believe that the gift from God does exist today. Like any gift of God it needs to be properly used. People will insist on the need to separate spiritual gifts from God and natural gifts and how we use them, but I do wonder about that.

For me any gift from God should be used as He would like for us to use it... whether it be spiritual or carnal.
Some people have a gift for music and usually when they are young they will work on that gift and develop it. Such a gift/talent can used to edify people in the things of God... or NOT. Probably all of know some good musicians who have used their gift for help themselves in this world of men. That is one of those natural gifts, but then we have what are described by some as spiritual gifts.

Speaking in tongues would be one of those spiritual gifts. Can a real gift from God be misused? Most certainly, even as a gifted speaker called by God to preach can use his gift to build up his own bank account instead using it to build up the kingdom of God.

I will testify to the gift of tongues still existing in people today. Some will deny that but for me it is a part of my testimony. I cannot deny it for to do so would for me be to deny God. I cannot do that. People who really know God, whether they also have this gift or not would go slow in condemning me if they believe at all what is written in scripture:

"I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying." I Cor 14:5

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:" I Cor 14:18

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
Let all things be done decently and in order." I Cor 14:39-40

Ya know amadeus, who can but speaking in tongues in words, the feeling, the experience? It would be good for this thread for someone to do that. How do you talk to the unbelieving, a burden that Christ certainly had.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya know amadeus, who can but speaking in tongues in words, the feeling, the experience? It would be good for this thread for someone to do that. How do you talk to the unbelieving, a burden that Christ certainly had.

With charity. The burden of the cross that Christ certainly had.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Speak about His love and what He has done for you, Grailhunter. Why does it have to be some indescribable feeling others can’t possibly know or encounter. Do you not think I’ve experienced or felt His love? Trust me...You don’t have to labour to describe it.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:4 KJV
[4] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Tecarta BibleI’ve never seen anywhere in Gods word where self edification is listed as a gift of the Holy Spirit, or a fruit of the Spirit.
Only upon the receiving of Christ is this manifestation witnessed 2000 years prior, as a sign gift for unbelieving Jews.
Self-edification simply means a person is doing something to help himself grow. A person can grow in an evil way or grow in a good way. We may use the gift of God to increase in His Way or to increase in the ways of the flesh. But all growth or edification is not evil is it? It may be better to pray to God for the needs of someone else, but it is not automatically evil to pray for our own needs, is it? If we are speaking of real needs, that is what God would call needs, rather than what some people would call needs, is this not correct?

"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

To grow toward God we may need to humble ourselves. When a person prays in tongues, just between him and God, the words of the prayer supplied by God. How could that be wrong? In order to receive the gift of an unknown tongue as a means of communication with God, a person must humble himself. When he does humble himself, he will be exalted. That is self-edification... but it a good building up according to God:

"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:11

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-edification simply means a person is doing something to help himself grow. A person can grow in an evil way or grow in a good way. We may use the gift of God to increase in His Way or to increase in the ways of the flesh. But all growth or edification is not evil is it? It may be better to pray to God for the needs of someone else, but it is not automatically evil to pray for our own needs, is it? If we are speaking of real needs, that is what God would call needs, rather than what some people would call needs, is this not correct?

"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Luke 2:52

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

To grow toward God we may need to humble ourselves. When a person prays in tongues, just between him and God, the words of the prayer supplied by God. How could that be wrong? In order to receive the gift of an unknown tongue as a means of communication with God, a person must humble himself. When he does humble himself, he will be exalted. That is self-edification... but it a good building up according to God:

"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:11
I must decrease.

Reactions: amadeus