Tongues and Related Issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once, long ago I did a study of tongues in the NT and encountered three different types of tongues(I Cor 12:10 shows there is more than one). I identified them as follows:

1st Tongue: speaker speaks in a tongue unknown to himself (and possibly as a witness to others), apparently for God's understanding alone. (I have this gift.)

2nd Tongue: speaker speaks apparently in his own language but the listeners hear him in their own foreign languages (I have heard people give witness of this gift, but have never personally witnessed it.)

3rd Tongue: speaker speaks in tongue understood by no one present & it is then interpreted by some one into the common language. (My wife has been used to give such messages from God and she has also been used to interpret such messages into English. The only human language she speaks and understands is English.)
Your first example might also benefit the person as well as being praise to God. I doubt we can outdo God. If someone praises Him, God will outdo that person and give him back more in return.

It might not work to praise God wanting something back. That wouldn't be really praising God or giving Him something in the best way.

Receiving ideas from God can sometimes be overwhelming. The meaning may be too big to grasp at once. I think people can receive wisdom from God in the first case that later gets digested and revealed over time.

As for "bad" examples of speaking in tongues? I think the Dark Side has its lying signs and wonders, I've no doubt about that from some videos I've seen; but by their fruits, you shall know them.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your attempt to warn me, but I am saved, and this statement of yours is not true: ''...consider that your next word can send you to hell.'
You are convinced the 'Holy spirit is moving' and that I am 'Calling the works of the Holy Spirit evil…
I'm not convinced at all. Again, I would run away from that type of 'worship service', because I am fearful it might be evil. But, I am not fearful of you, or others, who would accuse me of not respecting them, or the Holy Spirit.

You like grape jelly or strawberry preserves?

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in tongues should be resisted, just like any other evil temptation/evil desire.

Sounds like a condemnation or a judgment to me. Where in scripture is it shown to be an evil temptation/evil desire? Rather...they are given by the Spirit:

"For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;" I Cor 12:8

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" I Cor 12:10
You may not have been given the gift my friend, but you should not condemn or judge others. It is really not in your job description:
"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:" I Cor 14:18

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39

I do not understand this speaking in tongues, as I've said before in other threads, speaking in tongues to me has always been associated with evil, possession, as Tabletalk as mentioned.

Is it a language that does not exist at all on this Earth? I mean no offense, I just really don't understand.

Reactions: amadeus

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not understand this speaking in tongues, as I've said before in other threads, speaking in tongues to me has always been associated with evil, possession, as Tabletalk as mentioned.

Is it a language that does not exist at all on this Earth? I mean no offense, I just really don't understand.

Naaaa, I would not worry about it. The whole Bible cannot be true....right?

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Naaaa, I would not worry about it. The whole Bible cannot be true....right?
I don't understand what you mean, I know you are being sarcastic or funny.

I once new a lady who belonged to a church called The Congregation Of Christ, who claimed she spoke in tongues, she even performed it for me, sounded like she was making it up as she went along, this woman also claimed that God answered her prayers whenever she asked something of God, and she told me what she asked of him, to make a long story short, basically whenever she asked something of God it was leaving someone else screwed over, basically she justified this by saying the others were non believers and her and her family were.

I do not think God would do good for a "believer" and leave someone who is not a believer in her terms in peril or in a bad situation.

What this supposed Christian woman told me is evil, and I've witnessed what this family of hers has done to others, they have stolen and ruined peoples lives in the name of Jesus.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand what you mean, I know you are being sarcastic or funny.

I once new a lady who belonged to a church called The Congregation Of Christ, who claimed she spoke in tongues, she even performed it for me, sounded like she was making it up as she went along, this woman also claimed that God answered her prayers whenever she asked something of God, and she told me what she asked of him, to make a long story short, basically whenever she asked something of God it was leaving someone else screwed over, basically she justified this by saying the others were non believers and her and her family were.

I do not think God would do good for a "believer" and leave someone who is not a believer in her terms in peril or in a bad situation.

What this supposed Christian woman told me is evil, and I've witnessed what this family of hers has done to others, they have stolen and ruined peoples lives in the name of Jesus.

That is all a matter of experiences and we have seen evil leaders in every denomination. The question is; what Christ said about the Holy Spirit, is that true? What Paul said about the Holy Spirit, is that true? How do you think the Holy Spirit guides us...please keep in mind that the New Testament would be written decades later. And then there is Pentecost? And oh I forgot....o_O:cool:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:4 KJV
[4] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Tecarta BibleI’ve never seen anywhere in Gods word where self edification is listed as a gift of the Holy Spirit, or a fruit of the Spirit.
Only apon the receiving of Christ is this manifestation witnessed 2000 years prior, as a sign gift for unbelieving Jews.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all a matter of experiences and we have seen evil leaders in every denomination. The question is; what Christ said about the Holy Spirit, is that true? What Paul said about the Holy Spirit, is that true? How do you think the Holy Spirit guides us...please keep in mind that the New Testament would be written decades later. And then there is Pentecost? And oh I forgot....o_O:cool:
This lady and her family are not leaders, money is their gain, they are scammers who believe their own lies. And many fall for this kind of religion, belief in God is not about gain, but giving and helping, yet she says she speaks in tongues, tongues of thieves maybe.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you, depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

Last edited:
Reactions: tabletalk

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:4 KJV
[4] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Tecarta BibleI’ve never seen anywhere in Gods word where self edification is listed as a gift of the Holy Spirit, or a fruit of the Spirit.
Only apon the receiving of Christ is this manifestation witnessed 2000 years prior, as a sign gift for unbelieving Jews.

Oh I am sorry....I thought Paul said something else about tongues... Everyone understands that there should be an interpreter with tongues.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you, depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

Have we changed the topic....?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I edited my response, please go back and check.

Ok, I get it. So tell me, what did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? What did Paul say about the Holy Spirit?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I am sorry....I thought Paul said something else about tongues... Everyone understands that there should be an interpreter with tongues.
I just gave my an interpretation

Further more if this is attributed to the Holy Spirit, but is in fact a mockery. Then we have another problem, a big problem.

Exodus 20:7 KJV
[7] Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Tecarta BibleIf this is Vain babbling, then it’s vain.
Empty!

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, I get it. So tell me, what did Christ mean when He said that the Holy Spirit would come? That the Holy Spirit would guide us and teach us the truth? What did Paul say about the Holy Spirit?
I’m sorry I can’t quote from the Bible, the Holy Spirit guiding us doesn’t mean speaking in tongues, the Holy Spirit is the love of God and Christ, guiding us to do the right thing and overcome hatred and anger, helping one another doing the right thing.

That’s what that means to me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just gave my an interpretation

Further more if this is attributed to the Holy Spirit, but is in fact a mockery. Then we have another problem, a big problem.

Exodus 20:7 KJV
[7] Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Tecarta BibleIf this is Vain babbling, then it’s vain.
Empty!

So what you are telling me is that you did not read my post or what know what else Paul had to say about tongues.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m sorry I can’t quote from the Bible, the Holy Spirit guiding us doesn’t mean speaking in tongues, the Holy Spirit is the love of God and Christ, guiding us to do the right thing and overcome hatred and anger, helping one another doing the right thing.

That’s what that means to me.
Well that is good enough, talk to you later JohnPaul...God bless.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what you are telling me is that you did not read my post or what know what else Paul had to say about tongues.
I’ve read it Sir,, over and over, if it’s of the Spirit it will build the body. This is the #1 rule of the manifestation of the gifts.

People stating, I pray in tongues, all say I don’t even know what I’m saying.
How does this build the church, profit the body, edify the whole?
It’s nothing but self edification and self justification.... as far as I can see

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve read it Sir,, over and over, if it’s of the Spirit it will build the body. This is the #1 rule of the manifestation of the gifts.

People stating, I pray in tongues, all say I don’t even know what I’m saying.
How does this build the church, profit the body, edify the whole?
It’s nothing but self edification and self justification.... as far as I can see

Is that what Paul said? Did Christ say that the Holy Spirit would come and edify us?

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Get what is being said about the gift of tongues...so far what seems to be the experience for me was as Tabletalk mentioned ...i wouldn’t say so much evil (to me) but chaos and confusion. Every one so far I’ve heard has the gift of tongues is quick to point out those with fake tongues. Saying that is not them but a counterfeit. So far ...cannot say the gift of tongues displayed today has held up to profiting the whole in if God’s Spirit is in it ...why is what is being said not being brought out into the light?

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
^ paul asked how this edification of the whole is possible when there is chaos and confusion and everyone edifying themselves in some “unknown tongue”? When it is meant to be when the body gathers together ...it is “together”. Also have to consider the warning of having tables at home and coming together to feast and the poor go away hungry...while another is drunk. Paul urged how would one come in off the street and be met with chaos and not leave saying “they are mad”...meaning by feeding themselves others left completely confused at the disjointed tongues of self edification.

Ephesians 5:19-20 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; [20] Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
^ can be done where others see and hear and understand your joy and God is glorified? How is that possible if ...everyone has a prayer language only between him and God and then together...there is not “together”.

1 Corinthians 14:6-19 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? [7] And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? [8] For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? [9] So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. [10] There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. [11] Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. [12] Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. [13] Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. [14] For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. [15] What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. [16] Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? [17] For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. [18] I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: [19] Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

“For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. “