Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I saw the following post elsewhere.
Any comments?

It's been an issue inside the Assemblies of God denomination concerning speaking in tongues. There was a group of younger ministers that sought to "fight" the long-held doctrinal stance that the baptism with the Holy Ghost is always evidenced by speaking with other tongues. Up until like a decade or so ago, I know the Assemblies of God had their big conference and reinstated the position that a Christian must speak with other tongues in order to have received the Holy Ghost.

It's a requirement for their ministers, evangelists, and for anyone they ordain to have experience the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking with other tongues. I know a lot of their churches on an individual level have moved away from this position overall. They don't typically place a strong emphasis on the baptism with the Holy Ghost, but tend to align with a more evangelical, semi-charismatic doctrine.

I've heard a lot here recently that the Assemblies of God had "voted out" speaking in tongues. That's where I'm drawing my theory from.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to go to an Assembly of God church here where I moved to, because there wasn't a Foursquare Gospel in my town. I was from California where I attended The Church On The Way since the 70's. I miss how the Spirit moved there every time the doors were open. Here at the AOG I missed the Spirit. I also noticed some false doctrine regarding sin being preached, so I had to leave.

I believe we must be baptized with the Spirit in order to be born again. And I believe those who believe in Jesus will receive all the authorities of Mark 16:16-18. But I believe the evidence of having been baptized in the Spirit is sinlessness. 1 John 3:9, not the operation of any gift. We have those of Mark 16 whether we know it or not. So us operating them is NOT the evidence. Being free from sin is the evidence.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only evidence that counts is the way in which one lives their life. Tongues is a gift, not something churned up under peer pressure. Having this gift does not make a person holier than those who do not have this gift. So I disagree with the AofG forcing it to be a criteria for evidence.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If we stick with scripture we find that on the day of Pentecost three things happened for the new believer.

One. They had to repent. It does not tell us what they had to repent of. I would guess it was repentance for rejecting the messiah. However it was neccesary for the forgivness of sin. That is what I call putting off the old man.

Two. They had to be baptised in water by immersion as sprinkling was unkown. That is what I call putting on the new man in Christ.

Three. They received the gift of the Holy Spirit. What I call power for living the new life in Christ.

To me these are three indispensible experiences we need to become a son of God. I am sorry but accepting Jesus into your heart doesn't cut it for me.

The outworking of all this comes later as we are taught and grow as believers. I hasten to add the growing bit is not a foregone conclusion as too many churches make CHINOS not disciples.

If one is subject to one to three as I was when I was born again, then there is material that the Spirit can work with to mature the beleiver. Without them it is anyone's guess.

I may be wrong but I don't think so and I am willing to be corrected on this but I can't see in scripture where the baptism of the Spirit and speaking in tongues is evidence of salvation.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...the long-held doctrinal stance that the baptism with the Holy Ghost is always evidenced by speaking with other tongues.
This was a false doctrine from its inception. However, anyone who does not agree with it should not become involved with Pentecostal and charismatic churches. So the younger ministers should have just moved on instead of fighting the issue.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1Corinthians 12:29-30 (KJV):
29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Or as the TLV translates it:
29) All are not emissaries, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All do not work miracles, do they?
30) All do not have gifts of healing, do they? All do not speak in tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?

Reactions: Nancy

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw the following post elsewhere.
Any comments?

It's been an issue inside the Assemblies of God denomination concerning speaking in tongues. There was a group of younger ministers that sought to "fight" the long-held doctrinal stance that the baptism with the Holy Ghost is always evidenced by speaking with other tongues. Up until like a decade or so ago, I know the Assemblies of God had their big conference and reinstated the position that a Christian must speak with other tongues in order to have received the Holy Ghost.

It's a requirement for their ministers, evangelists, and for anyone they ordain to have experience the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking with other tongues. I know a lot of their churches on an individual level have moved away from this position overall. They don't typically place a strong emphasis on the baptism with the Holy Ghost, but tend to align with a more evangelical, semi-charismatic doctrine.

I've heard a lot here recently that the Assemblies of God had "voted out" speaking in tongues. That's where I'm drawing my theory from.
"..but tend to align with a more evangelical, semi-charismatic doctrine."
That is the 'popular' trend..nowadays.
- Not just AOG..
----
* I was involved in AOG.. years ago.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that all those who lead a church fellowship should be baptized in the Holy Spirit. If they aren't how will they get the gifting, guidance and vision they need to lead the flocks.

Reactions: amadeus

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
I never understood tongues, why would the Most High give a gift that anyone can do? The gift also serves no purpose. The only benefit it seems to have is you can tell people you speak in tongues.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Importance Of Speaking In Tongues.
I believe there to be four basic manifestations of the gift of tongues.
  • Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
  • Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (Romans 8:26)
  • Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.
  • Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.
I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift .

And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift.

I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views but I firmly believe them from personal experience.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views but I firmly believe them from personal experience.

I agree with you.

We all come under fire, happens off and on.
Jesus came under fire and they decided to kill him.
So did the apostles, I think only one of them died a natural death.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I never understood tongues, why would the Most High give a gift that anyone can do? The gift also serves no purpose. The only benefit it seems to have is you can tell people you speak in tongues.

The gift of tongues was a bestowed supernatural ability to speak in a human language that had not been learned by the one speaking. According to the Apostle Paul, when believers exercised the gift of tongues in church, they were to speak one at a time, and only two or three were to speak in a given service (1 Cor. 14:27).

“And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.” - Jesus Christ said it.

Furthermore, when tongues were spoken in the church, they were to be interpreted by someone with the gift of interpretation so that the others might be edified by the God-given message (1 Cor. 14:5, 13, 27). In this way, tongues did not serve as a private prayer language, but rather—like all spiritual gifts—as a means by which one might serve and edify the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:7; 1 Pet. 4:10).

Last edited:

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
The gift of tongues was a bestowed supernatural ability to speak in a human language that had not been learned by the one speaking. According to the Apostle Paul, when believers exercised the gift of tongues in church, they were to speak one at a time, and only two or three were to speak in a given service (1 Cor. 14:27).

Furthermore, when tongues were spoken in the church, they were to be interpreted by someone with the gift of interpretation so that the others might be edified by the God-given message (1 Cor. 14:5, 13, 27). In this way, tongues did not serve as a private prayer language, but rather—like all spiritual gifts—as a means by which one might serve and edify the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:7; 1 Pet. 4:10).

tongues as a language, one person speaks in french, another interprets the french to spanish so a group of spanish people understand. this makes perfect sense.

tongues as in someone babbling making funny noises that no one can understand and no one can verify, this one makes no sense at all. this is the one i am talking about.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
tongues as a language, one person speaks in french, another interprets the french to spanish so a group of spanish people understand. this makes perfect sense.

tongues as in someone babbling making funny noises that no one can understand and no one can verify, this one makes no sense at all. this is the one i am talking about.
So how come on the day of pentecost some COULD understand the language in their own tongue
and yet many could not understand anything and thought they were babbling drunk .
Tongues is real and it is a heavenly language indeed .
Though do be on guard , i have seen many who claim it , but get up and bark like dogs and walk around on leashes
and play the clown . YEAH that AINT THE SPIRIT at work at all . That is something entirely different . ANOTHER SPIRIT AT WORK .
And not a good one either .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

So @jaybird do you babble when you use the gift of tongues? When I pray in tongues it sounds like a proper language with proper syntax. And when I sing it's even better as the melody can be soft and gentle like a lullaby or ballad or it can have African rhythms that make me sway and dance. Beautiful. Not babbling at all.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
So how come on the day of pentecost some COULD understand the language in their own tongue
and yet many could not understand anything and thought they were babbling drunk .
Tongues is real and it is a heavenly language indeed .
Though do be on guard , i have seen many who claim it , but get up and bark like dogs and walk around on leashes
and play the clown . YEAH that AINT THE SPIRIT at work at all . That is something entirely different . ANOTHER SPIRIT AT WORK .
And not a good one either .

if someone spoke in a language i never heard before, it might sound like babbling. the acts passage doesnt say they were babbling in an unknown language, it says they were speaking in the language of the nations. the ones that did not believe that mocked them, it doesnt say they mocked them because they were babbling in unknown languages.

now if you think tongues is some prayer language, please explain why anyone would need a spirit language to speak to the Most High?

and the bible never calls it a spirit prayer language, it says angel language. Paul was IMO being metaphoric here, but lets say he really meant a literal angel language. why would we need that. were the apostles being sent to preach the gospel to angels? do the angels not understand our common language, do angels not know how to speak in our languages? that would make them pretty bad messengers. not to mention we have a multitude of examples of angels interacting with other people throughout the bible, they never spoke in an unknown language where an angel language interpreter was needed.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
So @jaybird do you babble when you use the gift of tongues? When I pray in tongues it sounds like a proper language with proper syntax. And when I sing it's even better as the melody can be soft and gentle like a lullaby or ballad or it can have African rhythms that make me sway and dance. Beautiful. Not babbling at all.

if its a real language then thats not the one i am talking about.