Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Toronto blessing where people bark like dogs and fall on the floor reminds me of demon possession. In my opinion it is of the devil.
Look who brought it in . LOOK who brought it in . Their fruits were sour , their love was money .
When any movement is brought in by the false we got problems . Not to mention IF it had been a move of GOD
HOW come they didnt repent . HOW come they continued their course and in fact got worse .

Reactions: Cooper

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...some spoke in tongues but all receive the Holy Spirit."

Yes, that's what my bible tells me too and, I've been reading Acts and came upon a scripture I forgot about:

Acts 2:38

38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

What kind of throws me is that, why is tongues the ONLY thing that some choose out of all of the other things written in this scripture:

Mark 16:17-18

17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

I just don't hear about all these things which, I believe were given to those Jesus sent out so as to provide protection to them as they spread the Word to the ends of the earth! Amen! And yes, tongues..."as needed".
The only aspect of "tongues" is the "prayer language"...not solid on that one.

Right?!
I know that's what I and a coupla others are trying to accomplish in this thread.

Reactions: Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...some spoke in tongues but all receive the Holy Spirit."

Yes, that's what my bible tells me too and, I've been reading Acts and came upon a scripture I forgot about:

Acts 2:38

38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

What kind of throws me is that, why is tongues the ONLY thing that some choose out of all of the other things written in this scripture:

Mark 16:17-18

17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

I just don't hear about all these things which, I believe were given to those Jesus sent out so as to provide protection to them as they spread the Word to the ends of the earth! Amen! And yes, tongues..."as needed".
The only aspect of "tongues" is the "prayer language"...not solid on that one.
We gonna stay DUG in our bibles sister . Most of what we hear today is tied into emotionalism and stirs folks up like we some big thing .
WHEN IN TRUTH we should remember one thing . WHO was JESUS . AND HOW DID HE WALK .
JESUS could have easily been exalted high while on this earth . YET He often said , TELL NO MAN , SHOW NO MAN these things .
HE exalted the FATHER . Today many are ready for crowns and walking as though kings .
YET THE KING of all kings , walked lowly and humble . AND HE WORE a crown all right , A CRQWN of THORNS .
How many are ready to wear that crown . How many are ready to SUFFER For the ONE WHO SUFFERED FOR US .
OR would they rather hear stories that exalt them .

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
How do you interpret 1 Corinthians 14:2. It doesn't mesh with your personal theory.

Also biblically, we see in Acts 2 that the "devout" Jews are the only ones who received the supernatural interpretation. They already belonged to God. The mockers were probably Roman Gentiles, and the Spirit wasn't for them...yet.
Remember it was the Feast of Pentecost, a holy time for Jews. Gentiles would have been as popular as pork chops in Jerusalem. "Devout Jews" were those totally steeped in Judaism, and therefore the crowd were composed of Jewish pilgrims who had journeyed to Jerusalem for the Feast.

When Paul preached that "The Jesus you have crucified has become Lord and Christ" he was talking to the Jews. This suggests to me that there were no Gentiles in the crowd. I think the ones who mocked were resident Jews who didn't have the tongues miraculously translated for them and therefore what they heard was unintelligible speech along with the rejoicing.

Reactions: amadeus

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I beg to differ. Please re-read and re-study I Co 14, especially verse 6 which is the key verse. When you have understood this verse, you might understand the phenomenon of tongues.

And if you still have not gotten the gist of the mystery and meaning of tongues, I'll gladly expound it for you.

At the meantime, it is best to do your own homework instead of relying on someone else's
teaching. This is the reason why there are so many different denominations in the world because of wrong interpretations!

To God Be The Glory
You haven't answered the question of Paul saying, "I thank God I speak in tongues more than you all", and "I would that you all speak in tongues". If the speaking of tongues is confined to church meetings, and Paul instructs not to speak out loud in tongues during church meetings, wouldn't he be contradicting himself? And what about verse 2, where it says that speaking in tongues is speaking to God and that no man understands him. These statements of Paul clearly indicate that he often prayed in tongues privately, away from public church meetings.

If your exposition of 1 Corinthians 14 is based on just one "key" verse (6)., indicating that tongues is confined to church meetings, then you have to twist other verses to support your premise. It means that your premise is coming first and you are trying to shoe horn Scripture to fit into it, rather than forming a premise based on what Paul is actually saying.

My practice of the gift is not based on man's teaching at all. I quoted Calvin, who is a much better theologian than you or me and I wouldn't be so arrogant to say that he isn't. I have done a very comprehensive study of 1 Corinthians 14, and studied every single word of it, and so my views on tongues is based squarely on that chapter and what Paul is actually saying in it.

I think that after spending five years doing a B.A. and then an M.A. in literature, and another three years doing an M.Div, I think I know how to analyze literature, do exegesis, and have some idea of hermeneutics. So, unless you can match the expertise and experience I have gained, forget about trying to teach me what 1 Corinthians 14 says.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We gonna stay DUG in our bibles sister . Most of what we hear today is tied into emotionalism and stirs folks up like we some big thing .
WHEN IN TRUTH we should remember one thing . WHO was JESUS . AND HOW DID HE WALK .
JESUS could have easily been exalted high while on this earth . YET He often said , TELL NO MAN , SHOW NO MAN these things .
HE exalted the FATHER . Today many are ready for crowns and walking as though kings .
YET THE KING of all kings , walked lowly and humble . AND HE WORE a crown all right , A CRQWN of THORNS .
How many are ready to wear that crown . How many are ready to SUFFER For the ONE WHO SUFFERED FOR US .
OR would they rather hear stories that exalt them .

Amen bro, and...how many are ready to drink from the same cup?!

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Please re-read and re-study I Co 14, especially verse 6 which is the key verse. When you have understood this verse, you might understand the phenomenon of tongues.

And if you still have not gotten the gist of the mystery and meaning of tongues, I'll gladly expound it for you.

At the meantime, it is best to do your own homework instead of relying on someone else's
teaching. This is the reason why there are so many different denominations in the world because of wrong interpretations!

To God Be The Glory

I would not take what this paul christensen feller has to say as one with very much "expertise" on the subject. Or, on anything concerning what being "born from above" is like.
(quote)
"But I don't pray in tongues during church services. I don't belong to a Pentecostal church where they do speak in tongues. I belong to a little Methodist/Presbyterian church with six elderly ladies and one gentleman. Tongues is totally unknown to them.

I do all my praying in tongues privately when I am alone with the Lord; and because He understands what I am saying, He doesn't need an interpreter. Neither do I, because I am not praying to myself but to the Lord.

So your comments are pretty well irrelevant to my use of tongues in prayer."

So, I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time nor effort in arguments, as it seems he doesn't know what we're talking about. Perhaps, it's just a little too much for him to bare? I dunno!
Yet, it's seems alright by him, if everyone else does. As he certainly does not speak out against Babbling/s in Church with no one interpreting.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've a working "theory" concerning "love that covers a multitude of sin."
Kinda goes like this. Although love does indeed cover a multitude of sin?
This covering of sin within any particular believer, comes at a cost to one's "Spiritual House."
Tis made all the more evident, especially when trying to correct what, when, where and why "things went south."
Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable TO God BY Jesus Christ.
The way I see it? How can one be a "joint heir" with Christ, if one is still in Christ? Let alone be able to inherit any of the Kingdom of God?
It requires the pressing on to the mark of the High Calling OF God in Christ Jesus.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
the tongues spoke today (angel/spirit/prayer language) dont seem to serve a purpose. its used to talk to the Most High? but we already know how to talk to the Most High, you can say "i love you" in every language known to man, in the end it means the same no matter what language, saying i love you in a "special" language does not change the message. the Father understands our prayers just fine.

the idea that the prayer language covers things that we might have missed is a bit absurd. it makes the Lord look like one of those mischievous genies in the bottle, you wish for the money but dog gone it you lose it all to taxes and the genie says "you didnt specify tax haha". i think the Most High is a bit more just and compassionate than that. i mean does anyone really think we say our prayers at night, go to sleep, and then a loved one dies in a car wreck, the Lord saw the whole thing but ignores it because we didnt specify to look over that particular person. this whole point is mute anyway when Jesus teaches the Lord knows our heart/mind before we even ask. the Lord knows what we need, you need faith that He will provide and He will do the rest.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talk about the abundant life . Ponder on this as well my dear sister .
When paul and the other apostles suffered for Christ , THEY REJOICED . yeah .
Yep . JESUS is with us no matter what we suffer and HE shall console us through whatever we suffer .
LET THE LORD be praised . And by this we can also console others who suffer as well.
I see only WINS in serving the glorious KING no matter the cost . JESUS WON the lambs shall win . LET THE KING BE PRAISED my sister .

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
You have no authority to cast anything on me. I am a holy woman of God. And you are a lukewarm believer when it suits you and costs you nothing.”

You seriously need to think through your disillusions. You try to get people to think that someone is lukewarm for opposing barking like a dog so you have an excuse to do weird stuff that isn't biblical.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you sir. My thoughts exactly.
Mr todd bently even said things like the Holy ghost told him to kick a lady in the face with his combat boots .
Folks we outta know the SPIRIT does not behave itself UNSEEMINGLY . The SPIRIT thus aint gonna make one bark like a dog
and be walked around on a leash . Or have head jerks and twists . THOUGH i have seen a spirit that does that .
ITs called KUNDALNI . And its no spirit the lambs would ever want . It comes from another religoin and thus its of darkness and not LIGHT .
Folks get way too caught up on emotionalism and due to a lack of biblical knowledge are easily led astray .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think of the mockery being done to the HOLY GHOST . This is the work of another spirit .
MOCKING the HOLY GHOST as though GOD would have us barking like dogs . Watch out and let none fall for things which would MOCK GOD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Mr todd bently even said things like the Holy ghost told him to kick a lady in the face with his combat boots .
Folks we outta know the SPIRIT does not behave itself UNSEEMINGLY . The SPIRIT thus aint gonna make one bark like a dog
and be walked around on a leash . Or have head jerks and twists . THOUGH i have seen a spirit that does that .
ITs called KUNDALNI . And its no spirit the lambs would ever want . It comes from another religoin and thus its of darkness and not LIGHT .
Folks get way too caught up on emotionalism and due to a lack of biblical knowledge are easily led astray .

Yep you named it, the very spirit at work with that sort of thing.
I feel encouraged that many of you here have discernment concerning these things.
Mature Christians who are on fire for God instead of those with blinded eyes lusting after the supernatural.

Reactions: NayborBear

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Look who brought it in . LOOK who brought it in . Their fruits were sour , their love was money .
When any movement is brought in by the false we got problems . Not to mention IF it had been a move of GOD
HOW come they didnt repent . HOW come they continued their course and in fact got worse .
Usually, when the Holy Spirit is active in a meeting, demons start manifesting. From what I know, the Toronto meetings had ushers standing by to remove anyone who manifested in that way. Yes, people did make animal noises as the demons manifested through them, but you omit that the ushers removed them from the main auditorium so they could have those demons cast out.

There was an Argentinian evangelist who used to bind the devil during his open prayer, and demons would manifest as a result. They had a deliverance tent apart from the main auditorium and ushers would take those ones out to minister to them.

The trouble with most church services, nothing in the proceedings actually is a threat to the devil or his demons, so they can remain hidden and are not forced to manifest as a reaction to the power of the Holy Spirit. This is because the Holy Spirit is kept out of most church programmes.

It is easier to cool down fanatics than to warm up the corpses in most "dead" programmed church services.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep you named it, the very spirit at work with that sort of thing.
I feel encouraged that many of you here have discernment concerning these things.
Mature Christians who are on fire for God instead of those with blinded eyes lusting after the supernatural.
We must double down in the wonderful scriptures . Having all our hope on the Lord .
Many will be taken in the net , in the snare of a great delusion .
We already have all we need in the Lord . Let us walk in the Spirit and be learning well our bible .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Usually, when the Holy Spirit is active in a meeting, demons start manifesting. From what I know, the Toronto meetings had ushers standing by to remove anyone who manifested in that way. Yes, people did make animal noises as the demons manifested through them, but you omit that the ushers removed them from the main auditorium so they could have those demons cast out.

There was an Argentinian evangelist who used to bind the devil during his open prayer, and demons would manifest as a result. They had a deliverance tent apart from the main auditorium and ushers would take those ones out to minister to them.

The trouble with most church services, nothing in the proceedings actually is a threat to the devil or his demons, so they can remain hidden and are not forced to manifest as a reaction to the power of the Holy Spirit. This is because the Holy Spirit is kept out of most church programmes.

It is easier to cool down fanatics than to warm up the corpses in most "dead" programmed church services.
If your concerned or think that i dont believe in the gifts of the Spirit , I DO . I am speaking of the side show
that was put on with grown folks barking like dogs and etc .
There is something else that all must be on gaurd with . Folks who seek miracles and signs , yet have no love for reading the scripture .
These are easily deceived . We got grown folks running to mama and hollering fire from heaven . Running into unity
with a mother who has sold JESUS out and the gospel down the river for an all inclusive side show of a dead gospel that will save none .
We must learn the biblical JESUS well as well as all sound doctrine . Having all hope on the glorious LORD .