Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is very clear, at the beginning of the church some who came to Christ in faith were baptized in water, some spoke in tongues but all receive the Holy Spirit. That is called being born again.

Baptism by water is a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit, being born again. Tongues are given at need. What Pentecostalism and its branches teach is not to be found in the Bible.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is very clear, at the beginning of the church some who came to Christ in faith were baptized in water, some spoke in tongues but all receive the Holy Spirit. That is called being born again.

Baptism by water is a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit, being born again. Tongues are given at need. What Pentecostalism and its branches teach is not to be found in the Bible.

I think it is. What do you see that differs from what is in the Bible? Are you sure you understand better than those who operate in the gift?

Or how do you operate in this gift? It is given to all believers. Mark 16:16-18

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i get it. So, you would have no use for any ministry gift for you wouldn't be fellowshipping in any gathering where one would be used to edify the group. If you are a "lone ranger" in that respect, the only person you would be edifying is yourself.

I am different to you. I believe that it is what one puts into a church than what one gets out of it. If I never gathered with other believers in a church, nor was ever bonded into a fellowship group of people, I would have ended up withering on the vine at home, no use to anyone, just "God and me".

Know what's different to me? How God can give unto man a perfectly good watch, and there's people walking around that still can't tell time.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is. What do you see that differs from what is in the Bible? Are you sure you understand better than those who operate in the gift?

Or how do you operate in this gift? It is given to all believers. Mark 16:16-18
Biblically the gift is given to those who already possess the Holy Spirit.

In the Bible speaks of different tongues, not unknown tongues. As the one who speaks in one language being spoken to by another who doesn't know that language. Not the babblings you see going on in Pentecostal churches.

The messages are what the person needs to hear about the gospel.

The Pentecostal church has made them into a weekly ceremony.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Has anyone noticed that the name of this topic is TONGUES and not "UNKNOWN" TONGUES?

Hasn't anyone ever read 1 Corinthians Chapter 14?

To anyone, is it too difficult to understand the said book and chapter above, seeing it is written in straight English, that even I understood although English is my second language.?

If anyone is interested, I believe the key passage is verse 6 and I'm ready to give a reason.

To God Be The Glory
Paul is describing his contribution to church meetings. No problem there.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

In the Bible speaks of different tongues, not unknown tongues. As the one who speaks in one language being spoken to by another who doesn't know that language. Not the babblings you see going on in Pentecostal churches.

I left the Pentecostal movement in 1978, and I have been praying in tongues ever since. Leaving the Pentecostal church didn't stop me praying in tongues, because the gift I have is in the Bible, not in any church.

So your Pentecostal bashing goes off me like water of a duck's back. It is obvious you hate Pentecostals, and so, "He who does not love, does not know God because God is love" (1 John 4:8); and, "But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them" (1 John 2:11).
John is talking about brothers and sisters in Christ.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Time to start reading your Bible.
That's all I comment on this post.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you interpret 1 Corinthians 14:2. It doesn't mesh with your personal theory.

Also biblically, we see in Acts 2 that the "devout" Jews are the only ones who received the supernatural interpretation. They already belonged to God. The mockers were probably Roman Gentiles, and the Spirit wasn't for them...yet.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
There are some things that are obviously in error . Like what i seen in the toronto blessing . they had grown men
and women being walked around on leashes and barking like dogs . Now that is not of the Spirit .
But let us be on gaurd and not accuse tongues that cannot be understood .
The main thing is watch their fruit .

Amen! Thats the balance.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Do you know the story behind it? I do. And it is not as crazy as you may think, and far from demonic, just of the flesh, but not in a bad way. It was an "even if God asked me to crawl around on all fours, I would obey." You see a woman had heard God ask her if she would obey Him even if He asked her to look foolish and howl at the moon. So when she got up and told this testimony, she went ahead and howled. From then on in that meeting, and even afterward they all wanted to take part in their confirmation of their obedience to be foolish if God asked. And it was videotaped. I happened to see a longer clip that included the woman. So let's me careful not to judge other's love for God.

Don't forget many times God will see us being too sophisticated in the flesh to even want to speak in tongues, let alone witness to strangers about Jesus. That is one reason, I believe, that tongues has such a bad rep. People can't see themselves being a party to anything that sounds so foolish. They are lukewarm. God wants us to be HOT - all in, not just until it feels uncomfortable. Remember King David dancing before the Lord in his underwear? God loved it, but when his wife mocked him, God struck her barren.

So if you agree and understand. Then stand up and HOWL!!! LOL (I just did, and it felt great!) I think God just chuckled!

Just no. A church service and things of the Holy Spirit are always order instead of chaos. Those types of things are foolish and chaotic. No way.

Reactions: NayborBear

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just no. A church service and things of the Holy Spirit are always order instead of chaos. Those types of things are foolish and chaotic. No way.

There was perfect order where I was filled with the Spirit. Just be careful not to be so self-conscious that you become lukewarm. I'm Hot. And I have a friend that is Cold. Don't become something God will vomit out of His mouth, that you forbid yourself from speaking in tongues at all. Or tell God, His gifts are foolishness. Or refuse to do whatever He asks you to do and becoming your own idol.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
There was perfect order where I was filled with the Spirit. Just be careful not to be so self-conscious that you become lukewarm. I'm Hot. And I have a friend that is Cold. Don't become something God will vomit out of His mouth, that you forbid yourself from speaking in tongues at all. Or tell God, His gifts are foolishness. Or refuse to do whatever He asks you to do and becoming your own idol.

I wasnt speaking about tongues.

Calling someone lukewarm is a distraction of placing the blame back on them and an excuse.

I was responding to you saying that putting on a dog collar and acting like a dog is what God wants. Behaving like animals is pure lunacy and doesnt make you more hot of a Christian it makes you look like a lunatic.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasnt speaking about tongues.

Calling someone lukewarm is a distraction of placing the blame back on them and an excuse.

I was responding to you saying that putting on a dog collar and acting like a dog is what God wants. Behaving like animals is pure lunacy and doesnt make you more hot of a Christian it makes you look like a lunatic.

What about dancing before the Lord in your underwear? Would you question that?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
What about dancing before the Lord in your underwear? Would you question that?

Once again you're deflecting. That shows you've got something to hide.

What about wearing a dog collar and barking like a dog?
Btw that sort of thing goes along with beastiality, and bondage sex play, both of which are satanic.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again you're deflecting. That shows you've got something to hide.

What about wearing a dog collar and barking like a dog?
Btw that sort of thing goes along with beastiality, and bondage sex play, both of which are satanic.

I'm an open book. And my love for God is Hot. What they were doing is demonstrating that their love for God comes before their pride, and NOTHING to do with bestiality or anything to do with sex. Where your mind goes in false accusations is appalling. It is clear you are lukewarm. Be careful, or you may end up cursed yourself by God.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Do you know the story behind it? I do. And it is not as crazy as you may think, and far from demonic, just of the flesh, but not in a bad way. It was an "even if God asked me to crawl around on all fours, I would obey." You see a woman had heard God ask her if she would obey Him even if He asked her to look foolish and howl at the moon.

Crawling around on all fours and howling at the moon means you love God more.
That is apauling.