Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you have to put down another member for having views that you don't agree with, it makes your position unconvincing.

I have heard all the opposing comments about tongues over the last 50 odd years, and have given due consideration to them, and have carefully examined the Scriptures to see whether there is any virtue in the comments. What I have discovered is that the opposing comments either twist Scriptures around to support the opposition, or comments are based on taking one random verse and ignoring others, or even reading into passages information that is not even there.

So, no matter what points you make that tries to show that modern tongues is not genuine, I have heard all these old chestnuts before and none of them hold water when Scripture is carefully examined.

PuhLESE spare me your self righteousness sir!
For "I" was not the one who put forth in such a condescending manner my own thoughts and "take" on the matter of the "gibberish" I myself have witnessed whilst attending a charismatic or pentecostal church service with no one interpreting! Or have even seen on TV.

And then, after several posts explaining this to you, you ended it by stating that all "my take" concerning tongues in church without an interpreter, were quite irrelevant to you! And? Perhaps they are! But there is this case whereas that you yourself sir, choose not to dissuade those who do.
But choose, rather to wander through t.u.l.i.p. fields.
And, it's not that I totally agree with, or disagree with Johnny.
But, I can tell you, that every time blind "men" get their hands on "the elephant?"
It invariably, INEVITABLY, traditionally, and perceptively, heads SOUTH!

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't know that the Holy Spirit is still adding to Scripture these days. And who is the privileged recipient of this new revelation?

Apparently you aren't one of the recipients of this:
1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Love bears all thing, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things;
Love never fails...my friend. :)

Reactions: Triumph1300

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Really? Prophecy, Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom, Discerning of Spirits, Interpretation of tongues, healing, faith, and miracles all can be faked in some way. When the AntiChrist turns up, he will falsify all these gifts as part of his false signs and wonders. These counterfeits will and are so close to the genuine, that, as the Scripture says, even the elect could be deceived.

Even Christian profession can be faked so well, that you wouldn't know if the person sitting beside you in church is a genuine believer or a hypocrite, because both walk the talk in exactly the same way, but one is genuine at heart, and the other's motives and intentions are false. Because God is the only Person who looks where we can't see - into people's hearts, He is the only One who knows who are his who have come through the narrow gate, and the hypocrite who has come over the wall.

Therefore, if a church member, whether Pentecostal or Evangelical, is a hypocrite, then everything about that person is fake - whether he speaks in tongues or not.
I said anyone can fake, the key word being anyone. The fake healing like the big money preachers do, that takes a professional top of the line con man team, tongues is something anyone can do, it can sound however you want, it can't be tested so there is never any way to know. The best fake healing con man crew can be tested and proven false if someone had the resources, but we can't do that with tongues. A false teacher could teach right alongside a real teacher and there is no way to tell the difference.
Hard for me to believe the Lord would set it up in such a way.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hard to believe? Impossible, I say.
That is, to say, that it is impossible to please the Lord without faith, which, by the way, comes by hearing what the Lord has to say, by His Spirit...today.
Sorry if I got off-topic. Lol Say, "Cheese!" :)

Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is NOT POSSIBLE to speak in tongues today!

Speaking in UNKNOWN tongues today is a sign for unbelievers.

To God Be The Glory
Not possible? Based on what? Makes no sense to post something out of the blue without scripture evidence. Just a personal opinion thrown into the conversation without back up.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not possible? No wonder I get along with God...He is also the last guy to know! :)

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw the following post elsewhere.
Any comments?

It's been an issue inside the Assemblies of God denomination concerning speaking in tongues. There was a group of younger ministers that sought to "fight" the long-held doctrinal stance that the baptism with the Holy Ghost is always evidenced by speaking with other tongues. Up until like a decade or so ago, I know the Assemblies of God had their big conference and reinstated the position that a Christian must speak with other tongues in order to have received the Holy Ghost.

It's a requirement for their ministers, evangelists, and for anyone they ordain to have experience the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking with other tongues. I know a lot of their churches on an individual level have moved away from this position overall. They don't typically place a strong emphasis on the baptism with the Holy Ghost, but tend to align with a more evangelical, semi-charismatic doctrine.

I've heard a lot here recently that the Assemblies of God had "voted out" speaking in tongues. That's where I'm drawing my theory from.
I saw the following post elsewhere.
Any comments?

It's been an issue inside the Assemblies of God denomination concerning speaking in tongues. There was a group of younger ministers that sought to "fight" the long-held doctrinal stance that the baptism with the Holy Ghost is always evidenced by speaking with other tongues. Up until like a decade or so ago, I know the Assemblies of God had their big conference and reinstated the position that a Christian must speak with other tongues in order to have received the Holy Ghost.

It's a requirement for their ministers, evangelists, and for anyone they ordain to have experience the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking with other tongues. I know a lot of their churches on an individual level have moved away from this position overall. They don't typically place a strong emphasis on the baptism with the Holy Ghost, but tend to align with a more evangelical, semi-charismatic doctrine.

I've heard a lot here recently that the Assemblies of God had "voted out" speaking in tongues. That's where I'm drawing my theory from.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just off top of my head. Speaking in tongues is a sign of spiritual baptism. The only problem I see is some 'ministerial'
leadership requiring a sign to prove something spiritual. Not a good idea. "And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign..."

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A false teacher could teach right alongside a real teacher and there is no way to tell the difference.

Maybe for you it would be hard to tell the difference.

Bible states the elect could be deceived.
Bible does not state the elect will deceived.

Hard for me to believe the Lord would set it up in such a way.

The Lord did not set it up that way.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Acts 10, Peter acknowledged the house of Cornelius had received the Holy Spirit, BECAUSE he heard them speak with tongues, and so he was persuaded to receive Gentiles as fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord. So, it was an audible sign that proved to Him, that Jesus would save whosever believes, whether 'Jew or Greek'. A sign that he did NOT demand nor expect. And so, yes it is a sign of a spiritual event; however, the sign is not the main point, but rather the spiritual event is what matters most, because we walk by faith not by sight. (Or by sound)

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe for you it would be hard to tell the difference.

Bible states the elect could be deceived.
Bible does not state the elect will deceived.

The Lord did not set it up that way.
It is actually quite easy to know the difference between true doctrine of Christ and false doctrine of man. Just do as the Bereans and check to see if it is written or not. The first step to rightly dividing the Word of truth is to rightly divide between what is written and what is not.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could someone define, and or explain to me where "baptism of the Holy Spirit" is found in the Bible?
Gift of the Holy Spirit? Yes!
Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Uhhhh?.....No.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone define, and or explain to me where "baptism of the Holy Spirit" is found in the Bible?
Gift of the Holy Spirit? Yes!
Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Uhhhh?.....No.

@NayborBear

Mark 1:8
“I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 1:5
“For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Reactions: NayborBear

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not possible? Based on what? Makes no sense to post something out of the blue without scripture evidence. Just a personal opinion thrown into the conversation without back up.

1 Corinthians 14:22

Large enough for you to see???

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@NayborBear

Mark 1:8
“I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 1:5
“For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

The above two Scripture passages must be read in light of Acts 1:8 to get the gist of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

To God Be The Glory