Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
So it really doesn't matter that you can't test tongues. They are bonafide gifts of the Holy Spirit, so you can either accept their existence with the faith of a child, or speak against them. The test is actually about us, not them.

What about false tongues and vein babbling?

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most? Perhaps some believe it is all already complete in them. Some certainly speak as if they believed it was!

That statement is a mite presumptuous. I do believe there are some people, myself included, where this "quickening (making alive)" is more complete, to a degree/depth/level where eyes "see" better, and ears "hear" better that which not only the Bible says, but also, that which the "annointing" speaks to us, inasmuch that no "man" need teach us.
1 John 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

And this "anointing?" Is different then "the gift of the Holy spirit!"
One is "given" to the accepting believer upon acceptance of Jesus Christ.
The other is "earned" by the accepting believer after acceptance.
Matthew 13:
5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I note that the crowd was made up of "devout Jews" who were still bonded into Judaism. Peter tells them that they were the ones who crucified Jesus, but God had made Him Lord and Christ. This is consistent with the Gospel being preached first to the "devout" Jews before the Holy Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius. That's when Peter realized that Gentiles can be converted to Christ in exactly the same way as Jews.

Just adding that to your helpful post.

Yes sir, very good. Jesus came to the Jews first, and they were given first opportunity to the new covenant. Matter of fact the law covenant was kept in force till the end of the week which seemingly corresponded with the acceptance of Cornelius in 36 CE

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was not for preaching. Peter gave a sermon after this sign. And they weren't speaking their languages; they all HEARD all of them in their own language.

Yes maam, that is what is referred to as speaking in tongues as the beginning of the chapter mentioned verse 3 to be exact.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, that's what the tongue deniers use all the time.
I have heard it often.

There's one problem:

What is "complete" has not come yet.

Yes I do have a 1300 Bonneville
I am going to sound like an idiot, but when I googled Triumph 1300 a car came up, is yours a car or motorcycle sir?

We are unsure if that has been fulfilled as of yet ourselves Triumph, but we believe that tongues ceased from God anyway quite some time ago. Recall that observers who were in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. were from many lands, and they clearly understood the languages miraculously spoken by the disciples. In contrast, those who speak in tongues today usually utter speech that is unintelligible to any listener.
Clearly, modern-day speaking in tongues is very different from the gift of holy spirit given to Jesus’ early followers. In fact, there is no reliable record of anyone receiving that same miraculous power since the death of the apostles.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you live in a church 24 hours a day? Is church the only place where you ever pray? Or is your Christianity only for Sundays at church? Paul certainly did not spend 24 hours a day at church meetings. When he said he spoke in tongues more than them all, he was referring to the many hours he spent away from church meetings. If your Christian faith is just for church, then I would say that you have a few issues to deal with. Most of the times I have been in the presence of God has been when I have been alone and not at a church meeting.

Seeings I am "called out of the world?" I do live in church pretty much 24/7.
Church is pretty much the only place I ever pray also.
When I was young I went with my family to church, 3 times a week. Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. As well as a whole week during the summer at vacation Bible school.
As I grew older, and after I was baptized (13)? I stared realizing that what they were teaching/preaching at church wasn't what I was understanding from what was happening within me.
So, when I was 17ish? I left! Haven't regularly attended any "church of stone" since. I'm 68 now!

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am going to sound like an idiot, but when I googled Triumph 1300 a car came up, is yours a car or motorcycle sir?

We are unsure if that has been fulfilled as of yet ourselves Triumph, but we believe that tongues ceased from God anyway quite some time ago. Recall that observers who were in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. were from many lands, and they clearly understood the languages miraculously spoken by the disciples. In contrast, those who speak in tongues today usually utter speech that is unintelligible to any listener.
Clearly, modern-day speaking in tongues is very different from the gift of holy spirit given to Jesus’ early followers. In fact, there is no reliable record of anyone receiving that same miraculous power since the death of the apostles.

I don't believe in "cessation" (or however it's spelt) of any of the "gift/s of the Spirit."
But, have rather come to understand the why people think/believe they have.
It's because of apostasy. The glacierly slow "drifting away" due to the constant and relentless attacks from the enemies of Our Lord and Father, and God, and the tribulations we have gone through over the years, which causes traditions of man, and precepts of men, to create and widen the void of God's Word!
To where we are at present. Whereas, every man doeth that which seemeth good in his own eyes.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think most people would agree that Billy Graham was a Christian, and through his crusades, he preached the gospel to more people in person than anyone in the history of Christianity (see Billy Graham - Wikipedia). And yet he was not a charismatic. When asked about the gift of speaking in tongues he said that he had never received the gift, but it was a wonderful experience for those who had.

See Billy Graham and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit » Kehila News Israel which describes his being filled with the Holy Spirit and the effect it had on his ministry, and yet he did not receive the gift of speaking in tongues.

From 5 Billy Graham Quotes about the Person and Activity of the Holy Spirit:

In his book The Holy Spirit, Rev. Graham also affirms that the gift of speaking in other tongues may be for some believers:

“In my judgment the Bible says that any believer can enjoy the filling of the Holy Spirit and know His power even though he or she has not had any sign such as speaking in tongues.

On the occasion of a particular infilling, tongues may be a sign God gives some, but I do not find that it is a sign for all. I do think it is important, though, for each of us to hold our opinion without rancor and without breaking our bonds of fellowship in Jesus Christ.

We worship the same Lord, and for this we are grateful.”​

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about false tongues and vein babbling?
There are some things that are obviously in error . Like what i seen in the toronto blessing . they had grown men
and women being walked around on leashes and barking like dogs . Now that is not of the Spirit .
But let us be on gaurd and not accuse tongues that cannot be understood .
The main thing is watch their fruit .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if someone spoke in a language i never heard before, it might sound like babbling. the acts passage doesnt say they were babbling in an unknown language, it says they were speaking in the language of the nations. the ones that did not believe that mocked them, it doesnt say they mocked them because they were babbling in unknown languages.

now if you think tongues is some prayer language, please explain why anyone would need a spirit language to speak to the Most High?

and the bible never calls it a spirit prayer language, it says angel language. Paul was IMO being metaphoric here, but lets say he really meant a literal angel language. why would we need that. were the apostles being sent to preach the gospel to angels? do the angels not understand our common language, do angels not know how to speak in our languages? that would make them pretty bad messengers. not to mention we have a multitude of examples of angels interacting with other people throughout the bible, they never spoke in an unknown language where an angel language interpreter was needed.
Its because tongues is a sign for unbelievers . Though it can be used to edify the church IF one interprets .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... are unsure if that has been fulfilled as of yet ourselves Triumph, but we believe that tongues ceased from God anyway quite some time ago. Recall that observers who were in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. were from many lands, and they clearly understood the languages miraculously spoken by the disciples. In contrast, those who speak in tongues today usually utter speech that is unintelligible to any listener.
My record is reliable to me. Each and every morning in my prayer time with God as I get involved in my talks with Him, I always lapse into the prayer language which He gave me for that purpose many years ago. Unreliable? For me it is reliable.

My tongues spoken to God daily for a great many years [first time in 1976] now are not unintelligible to Him. But... that is as it should be as they are to communicate with Him.

When a natural baby begins to make noises with his mouth it is babble which has no meaning and so no one understands. As the child grows some of the babble begins to have meaning for him and for a select few very close ones, like the ones he calls out to with formed baby words: ma ma, da da, which in time become mama and daddy. A baby whose growth is stunted may never move beyond babble to a language in which he is able to intelligently converse with his parents.

Similarly when a baby Christian first speaks in a "new tongue [language]" it may be no more than unintelligible babble. Some new believers get lazy or are told they need do nothing else and they do not. They do not continue to use their new language practicing it by talking with God... and babble it remains. Too many baby Christians sitting in pews regularly who have never grown up even though they have been around for many years. Babies all of their lives!

My wife received a different set of gifts from God. She receives messages in unknown tongues and she interprets messages given in unknown tongues. Unlike me, my wife speaks no other human languages but English and a special unknown language God has given her. She received her gift in the year I did, 1976. Unreliable? I would not say so. Does every part of the Body of Christ know everything about all the other parts working in the functions given to them by God? There is only one Head of the Body of Christ and that is not you nor me, but Jesus!

"And he is the head of the body, the church..." Col 1:18

Last edited:
Reactions: Triumph1300

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some things that are obviously in error . Like what i seen in the toronto blessing . they had grown men
and women being walked around on leashes and barking like dogs . Now that is not of the Spirit .
But let us be on gaurd and not accuse tongues that cannot be understood .
The main thing is watch their fruit .

Do you know the story behind it? I do. And it is not as crazy as you may think, and far from demonic, just of the flesh, but not in a bad way. It was an "even if God asked me to crawl around on all fours, I would obey." You see a woman had heard God ask her if she would obey Him even if He asked her to look foolish and howl at the moon. So when she got up and told this testimony, she went ahead and howled. From then on in that meeting, and even afterward they all wanted to take part in their confirmation of their obedience to be foolish if God asked. And it was videotaped. I happened to see a longer clip that included the woman. So let's me careful not to judge other's love for God.

Don't forget many times God will see us being too sophisticated in the flesh to even want to speak in tongues, let alone witness to strangers about Jesus. That is one reason, I believe, that tongues has such a bad rep. People can't see themselves being a party to anything that sounds so foolish. They are lukewarm. God wants us to be HOT - all in, not just until it feels uncomfortable. Remember King David dancing before the Lord in his underwear? God loved it, but when his wife mocked him, God struck her barren.

So if you agree and understand. Then stand up and HOWL!!! LOL (I just did, and it felt great!) I think God just chuckled!

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most people would agree that Billy Graham was a Christian, and through his crusades, he preached the gospel to more people in person than anyone in the history of Christianity (see Billy Graham - Wikipedia). And yet he was not a charismatic. When asked about the gift of speaking in tongues he said that he had never received the gift, but it was a wonderful experience for those who had.

See Billy Graham and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit » Kehila News Israel which describes his being filled with the Holy Spirit and the effect it had on his ministry, and yet he did not receive the gift of speaking in tongues.

From 5 Billy Graham Quotes about the Person and Activity of the Holy Spirit:

In his book The Holy Spirit, Rev. Graham also affirms that the gift of speaking in other tongues may be for some believers:

“In my judgment the Bible says that any believer can enjoy the filling of the Holy Spirit and know His power even though he or she has not had any sign such as speaking in tongues.

On the occasion of a particular infilling, tongues may be a sign God gives some, but I do not find that it is a sign for all. I do think it is important, though, for each of us to hold our opinion without rancor and without breaking our bonds of fellowship in Jesus Christ.

We worship the same Lord, and for this we are grateful.”​

I believe the word, and Mark 16:16-18 I interpret as being for ALL who believe. So even if we never open our mouth to speak, we do have that authority, just like we have the authority to heal, but how few of us act on it???

Note also in Mark that the interpretation of tongues is not given to all. These authorities are for our individual use. That is why this speaking in tongues is for only our individual use. 1 Cor. 12 gifts on the other hand are for those in ministry. Not everyone is called to an office, that is why 1 Cor. 12:30 shows that not everyone receives messages in tongues from God to deliver to the congregation, and not everyone has the office of supernatural interpreter. It appears that each congregation knows who in their congregation is the interpreter, so if they are not there, they are to be silent.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Seeings I am "called out of the world?" I do live in church pretty much 24/7.
Church is pretty much the only place I ever pray also.
When I was young I went with my family to church, 3 times a week. Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. As well as a whole week during the summer at vacation Bible school.
As I grew older, and after I was baptized (13)? I stared realizing that what they were teaching/preaching at church wasn't what I was understanding from what was happening within me.
So, when I was 17ish? I left! Haven't regularly attended any "church of stone" since. I'm 68 now!
i get it. So, you would have no use for any ministry gift for you wouldn't be fellowshipping in any gathering where one would be used to edify the group. If you are a "lone ranger" in that respect, the only person you would be edifying is yourself.

I am different to you. I believe that it is what one puts into a church than what one gets out of it. If I never gathered with other believers in a church, nor was ever bonded into a fellowship group of people, I would have ended up withering on the vine at home, no use to anyone, just "God and me".

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone noticed that the name of this topic is TONGUES and not "UNKNOWN" TONGUES?

Hasn't anyone ever read 1 Corinthians Chapter 14?

To anyone, is it too difficult to understand the said book and chapter above, seeing it is written in straight English, that even I understood although English is my second language.?

If anyone is interested, I believe the key passage is verse 6 and I'm ready to give a reason.

To God Be The Glory

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone noticed that the name of this topic is TONGUES and not "UNKNOWN" TONGUES?

Hasn't anyone ever read 1 Corinthians Chapter 14?

To anyone, is it too difficult to understand the said book and chapter above, seeing it is written in straight English, that even I understood although English is my second language.?

If anyone is interested, I believe the key passage is verse 6 and I'm ready to give a reason.

To God Be The Glory

I know what verse 6 says as it is a key verse, so I would be interested in what you are thinking. Verse 6 is what types of messages from God will be interpreted from the unknown tongues.

Last edited: