Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The Greek word used here is οἶδα, meaning "I know".
The word for "relationship" is Σχέση. Therefore if Paul is saying "I know a man" he would, and did, use "oida". If he meant that he had a relationship with the man caught up, he would have used the word "schese" The sentence would be "eko ho schese" meaning, "I have the relationship [with]." But Paul said "oida anthropos" meaning, "I know a man".
Thank you. However that was not the point of my post to GTW27 in my two posts #510, 511.

The point is, words do not have a single meaning, and context further shape the meaning of words. That we should take that in our reading of scriptures, among many others.

Tong
R4820

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
I share the view that Paul was talking about himself there.
That is the popular opinion and could be correct. However there is a risk about making assumptions where the Scripture isn't absolutely clear, which in this case it isn't.
You are right. But in such cases, we should not be dogmatic about it. We should however take a position. A position that does not go against the truth of the gospel. A position that does not take away the glory of God. A position that we think is consistent with truth.

Tong
R4821

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:4-11

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

It seems obvious to me that not all gifts would be obvious to others. I do not have a means to measure someones faith for example. Wisdom, knowledge?

Ephesians 1:13
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,

Texbow, you believe in the gifts, Enoch doesn't. By the structure of his sentence, he made it confusing as to what he meant. He made it sound like he believes in the gifts and I don't. LOL

The difference between the gifts of 1 Corinthians 12 and those of Mark 16 is that those in Mark 16 are to ALL born again Christians, and the tongues do not require interpretation (not listed). Those in 1 Corinthians 12 are the higher gifts given for ministry for the profit of all. For instance, I have the tongues of Mark 16:17, but not diverse kinds of tongues in 1 Corinthians 12 that would need interpretation. Those two are offices and not given to all. But I have the office of Teacher and have access to the rest of the gifts listed there.

I can hear the voice of God in revelation. Therefore, they would be given in Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, and Prophecy. (Also interpretation of tongues which I don't have.)

Last edited:

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You are right. But in such cases, we should not be dogmatic about it. We should however take a position. A position that does not go against the truth of the gospel. A position that does not take away the glory of God. A position that we think is consistent with truth.

Tong
R4821
The problem is that some ultra-spiritual folk have used what Paul said to validate their claims of being caught up to heaven and meeting Jesus. I don't believe any of it, because I think that when people end up in heaven they don't come back.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Tong
R4821
In the large scheme of things, it doesn't really matter whether Paul was talking of himself or of someone else he knows of. Just as a matter of interest I wondered why Paul used the word "oika" instead of "ginosko", so I looked it up and discovered that "ginosko" is used when objective knowledge is used. Paul uses the word when he says that we will know as we are known. But when he says "Know not that you are the temple of the Holy Spirit" he uses oika. It is interesting that the Gospel writer uses "oika" when he quotes Jesus saying, "He who knows me know the Father".

I found a website that speaks of the difference between "ginosko" and "oika". The former is used when objective knowledge is used. It is often used when someone is asking, "Do you know. etc?" But when a person knows within himself of something, the word "oika" is used. "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he will keep that which I have committed unto him against that day". the word "oika" is used. I don't know which word the Septuagint uses for Job 19:25 when Job says, "I know that my redeemer lives" but I think that it would use "oika" because it is a personal inner knowledge.

From what I am learning about Biblical Greek is that it is not the core meaning of verbs and nouns that change, but the grammatic sense (1st, 2nd 3rd person verbs, and whether the noun is the subject, object, for the noun or to the noun). For example, "anthropos" is the word for man or human. So the man would be o anthropos, but speakng about the man would be "ton anthropon", and "of the man" would be "tou anthropou", and "to the man" would be "tow anthropow" (endings rhyming with "throw". The actual core meaning of the noun does not change. The same applies to a verb, ie: "blepow" meaning, "I see". "You see" changed to "blepeis", and "he sees" becomes "blepei".

Of course there are difficulties in the translation between Greek and English, especially what I have shown before concerning the expression "I know". English makes no distinction between objective and subjective knowledge, but Greek does. "Ginosko" for objective knowledge, and "oika" for subjective knowledge. So, having a working knowledge of Biblical Greek solves most of the problems concerning word meanings between English and Greek.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The problem is that some ultra-spiritual folk have used what Paul said to validate their claims of being caught up to heaven and meeting Jesus. I don't believe any of it, because I think that when people end up in heaven they don't come back.
I don't know about oika
So I assume you know this from first-hand experience? You think...but I know! Are you jealous? You do realize that you are calling people like me liars...or worse. Please have a shred of decency and don't do this on my thread! Bub.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I don't know about oika

So I assume you know this from first-hand experience? You think...but I know! Are you jealous? You do realize that you are calling people like me liars...or worse. Please have a shred of decency and don't do this on my thread! Bub.
I don't know about oika

What, what, what?? If I had made my comment on the Spiritual gifts forum, you might have a point, and anyway, I wouldn't do that on a protected forum. But this is a general theology forum where each member has their own point of view. I wasn't aware of your experience. If I did, I may not have been so direct about it. So for goodness sake calm down and realise that people have different experiences and points of view. I never treat my personal experiences as a "sacred cow" that makes me think that when people disagree with me they are attacking me. I have been opposed on the issue of tongues by some of the most ardent anti-tongues members, and I have remained calm and respectful, and have answered them from what I see in the Scriptures.

However, I've said all I want to say on this thread, so I will withdraw from further comment and allow you to enjoy your thread with those who agree with you.

Reactions: Nancy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What, what, what?? If I had made my comment on the Spiritual gifts forum, you might have a point, and anyway, I wouldn't do that on a protected forum. But this is a general theology forum where each member has their own point of view. I wasn't aware of your experience. If I did, I may not have been so direct about it. So for goodness sake calm down and realise that people have different experiences and points of view. I never treat my personal experiences as a "sacred cow" that makes me think that when people disagree with me they are attacking me. I have been opposed on the issue of tongues by some of the most ardent anti-tongues members, and I have remained calm and respectful, and have answered them from what I see in the Scriptures.

However, I've said all I want to say on this thread, so I will withdraw from further comment and allow you to enjoy your thread with those who agree with you.
I don't like being called a liar. Especially by someone, who when it comes to spiritual matters, doesn't know their hiney from a hole in the ground. Go start your own thread! Oh, and make sure you tattle-tale on me.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Why would the angel do that?
While the angel could have given Cornelius the Gospel directly, he did not have the mandate from the Lord to do that. His role was to do what the Lord instructed. The mandate was for the human disciples of Christ to preach the Gospel, and that Peter, being the most available person near to where Cornelius lived, he would be the most appropriate. As it was said in this thread already, it was just as much for Peter and the other Apostles that it happened this way. If the angel had given the Gospel directly, there would be no outside human witnesses that the Gospel had come to the Gentiles as well as the Jews, because up until that time, the Gospel was preached to the Jews only. Therefore, the intention was that Peter goes and preaches the Gospel to the Gentile household, witnesses the Holy Spirit falling on them in the same way that He fell on the disciples at Pentecost, and then for Peter and his companions to go to Jerusalem to testify to the other Apostles what happened.

The rule for us is that we are given the commission to preach the Gospel to every person and this is why our testimony of what Christ as done for us is vitally important, and that because people read us before they read the Bible, holiness of life and genuineness of our faith is essential to show that being a Christian believer is something very significant in our lives.

Reactions: Nancy

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I don't like being called a liar. Especially by someone, who when it comes to spiritual matters, doesn't know their hiney from a hole in the ground. Go start your own thread! Oh, and make sure you tattle-tale on me.
It is such a shame that you have taken this so personally and are so angry about it.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is such a shame that you have taken this so personally and are so angry about it.
It's a shame you chose to mock the "super-spiritual" the way you did. You only highlighted your ignorance and stood in the way of others receiving what they need. But you won't take a look at yourself here because you don't think you need to. You ever hear of, "spiritual pride?"

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that tongues are a language spoken somewhere in the world. It is just that they are not learned by the speaker but is inspired by the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that they are heavenly languages because why have multiple languages in heaven?

LOL A little bit of thought and a little bit of humor....
What if some tongues are the language of Heaven. What if when God talked to the Hebrews, He talked in Hebrew. Or in the NT He talked in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic. When they talk in Heaven it is the language of tongues. The Trinity receives prayers from all over the world so...know all languages and speak all languages? So then I ask....what was the Divine communications that the prophets were receiving in the OT, what communication style or type. Most people have not heard of the whirling prophets of Yahweh.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
LOL A little bit of thought and a little bit of humor....
What if some tongues are the language of Heaven. What if when God talked to the Hebrews, He talked in Hebrew. Or in the NT He talked in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic. When they talk in Heaven it is the language of tongues. The Trinity receives prayers from all over the world so...know all languages and speak all languages? So then I ask....what was the Divine communications that the prophets were receiving in the OT, what communication style or type. Most people have not heard of the whirling prophets of Yahweh.
You got the drop on me here. You can answer that one yourself! :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You got the drop on me here. You can answer that one yourself! :)
Oh no. It is theoretical. No correct answer.
The only thing we got is a type of communication that is divine but a lot of times one way.
Communication with the prophets. We have no idea if they reiterated what God was telling them as He spoke to them. What would it be like to witness a prophet as God spoke to them?
But there is this...
Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue... Isaiah 28:11
At first, the angel is seen only by the donkey Balaam is riding, which tries to avoid the angel. After Balaam starts punishing the donkey for refusing to move, it is miraculously given the power to speak to Balaam, and it complains about Balaam's treatment.
(Numbers 22:28) LOL
The tongues in the new testament.
Pentecost
There are a lot of different type of tongues and revelations that people have now a days.
I could call myself an expect.... except I myself have not spoke in tongues, but I have witnessed so much of the Holy Spirit in action that I can say Hallelujah!!! the Spirit is real and active! I have been blessed to witness the Holy Spirit in full throttle. I have had angelic visitations and Miriam saved my life and the lives of several Navy Seals on the battlefront. So I can laugh at sensationalists.

In some of the prophetic scriptures that seem to ramble with no distinct topic or connection with time or continuity with surrounding scriptures, it can sound a lot like prophetic utterances in writing.

My main point is that God has been communicating with us for along time. It happens in different ways and sometime it is personnel and sometimes it is prophecy. But the exciting thing about it is that God did not retire after the Bible....He continued to be God and He is still interested in us and wants to communicate with us. Such is the family of God! Hallelujah!

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
While the angel could have given Cornelius the Gospel directly, he did not have the mandate from the Lord to do that. His role was to do what the Lord instructed. The mandate was for the human disciples of Christ to preach the Gospel, and that Peter, being the most available person near to where Cornelius lived, he would be the most appropriate. As it was said in this thread already, it was just as much for Peter and the other Apostles that it happened this way. If the angel had given the Gospel directly, there would be no outside human witnesses that the Gospel had come to the Gentiles as well as the Jews, because up until that time, the Gospel was preached to the Jews only. Therefore, the intention was that Peter goes and preaches the Gospel to the Gentile household, witnesses the Holy Spirit falling on them in the same way that He fell on the disciples at Pentecost, and then for Peter and his companions to go to Jerusalem to testify to the other Apostles what happened.

The rule for us is that we are given the commission to preach the Gospel to every person and this is why our testimony of what Christ as done for us is vitally important, and that because people read us before they read the Bible, holiness of life and genuineness of our faith is essential to show that being a Christian believer is something very significant in our lives.

Clearly Jesus had directly chosen those who (not angel beings) will be His witness of all that is about Him ~ His person, life, words, works, ministry, the gospel, if I may say so. They were the ones (not to angels) He gave authority to preach the gospel to both the Jews and Gentiles alike. They were the ones whom He sent to the world to bear witness of Him, who is the way, the truth, the life, the resurrection.

And their witness and testimony, the gospel that they preached had been written down in scriptures by holy men inspired and moved by the Holy Spirit, preserved for all generations, those who are being save, to hear.

Their witness, that is the gospel they preached, is really that which is what we should continue to preach to the world. Our witness falls short of theirs in many areas than we may think.

Cc @CadyandZoe

Tong
R4828

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In the parable of the sower, Jesus described preaching the gospel as broadcasting seed, rather than planting one seed at a time. As a result of broadcasting the seed, some would fall on hard ground, some in rocky soil, some among weeds and some in good soil.

By contrast, those who live in apartments or small houses, plant one seed at a time in good soil, hoping to have tomato plants, flowers, or what-have-you. Unlike broadcasting the seed, which falls on various kinds of soils, the apartment dweller already knows in advance that the soil is good and that the single seed will take root and grow to maturity.

Isn't it interesting that, in this case, Cornelius was instructed to send for Peter and Peter was instructed to visit Cornelius? And isn't Peter's visit to a small household more like the apartment dweller planting seed in good soil, than the farmer broadcasting seed? And just as the apartment dweller knows the soil is good and productive in advance of planting the seed, what do you think God knew about the heart of Cornelius, which had to be true before he sent Peter to preach the gospel to this man and his family personally?

According to the parable of the sower, there is no guarantee that the seed will take root or produce a crop. In other words, the preacher has no guarantee that everyone hearing the gospel will believe it or persevere. But, in the case of Peter and Cornelius? Isn't it logical to conclude that God had already prepared the heart of Cornelius to hear and accept the gospel, and that upon hearing it would believe it unto salvation?

Just thinking out loud here.

@Tong2020

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Buddist are kind nice people too . are they saved . Just cause folks do good things and are nice , dont make them saved .
The mormons . You really need to investigate that religoin for yourself .
Go to a library and read their own stuff . Some of the most blasphemous things , so bad it could make an onion cry .
The best thing anyone can do, is forget man’s doctrines and go and read the KJV Bibles for ourselves.

Reactions: amigo de christo