Tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Wakka;47873)
Kriss. I'm talking about Pentecost. It didn't stop. The same gift that flowed through Pentecost is flowing right now. But God doesn't only talk to people through an unknown tongue, the gift also edifies the speaker's spirit. Where in the Bible did it say that the gift ceased to exist? Where did it say that tongues would stop.
Wakka it isnt Pentacost if you read Acts you will see that the evidence was it was understood by all this is the evidence it is from God he was teaching his Word and all understood. This was a miracle that occurs twice in scripture.in Acts and in mark 13 there would be no point in speaking thing not understood and unknown isnt the problem Tongues means by diffintion the natural languages of men Think of it we have a small group of people speaking Hebrew and greek they did not know the languages outside their country of origin they needed language skills to preach the gospel around the World the word unknown simply mean unknown to them Another words they didnt speak Spanish, french or African languagesThis is what Paul is warning them not to do Dont go to France and speak Hebrew God will understand but you are speaking to the air You cant teach the bible if you do speak the language if you try it only builds your own egoit doesnt build up the church of God because they wont understand you.I know you are a great Christian and pray in this way but its not written in scripture. Im sorryread this study its very good at describing the Words in context I know it wont change your mind but you will understand why I say its not writtenhttp://www.entrewave.com/view/reformedonli...%20part%205.htm

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Why can't you just understand that the Holy Spirit came to us and brought with itself a prayer language. It's a language that edifies the person. It's there because our minds are unfruitful and untrustworthy.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Im saying the Bible never speaks of it Wakka you are taking edifying out of context Paul is not saying thats a good thing sense when has Gods word ever taught you to do what feels good to the individual?? He says if it doesnt serve the body of Christ (church)it severs only ego I understand what you are saying but I ask the same why cant you see its not in scripture. Pray how you like but it is not written the only place unitelligable murming is mentioned is in a bad context. I cant make the Word say what you want it to and I wont lie or compromise about it. Its not a personal thing believe I have searched hi and Lo its not there excpt in 1 cor. 10:10

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(kriss;47900)
Im saying the Bible never speaks of it Wakka you are taking edifying out of context Paul is not saying thats a good thing sense when has Gods word ever taught you to do what feels good to the individual?? He says if it doesnt serve the body of Christ (church)it severs only ego
Cells in the body have to be taken care of too you know. And as for tongues filling the ego--- its obvious that you have never spoken in tongues. It is a personal language between you and the Holy Spirit. Maybe you should try it before you diss it.Why are you so stand-offish from the Holy Spirit? It doesn't make sense. Maybe you should try and get to know the HS a little more (on a personal level).And btw ... murmuring has the following definition (primary)"a half-suppressed or muttered complaint" m-w.comHow is murmuring the same as speaking in tongues?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
because faking this kind of stuff and saying its God is a sin and against Gods Word.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(kriss;47910)
because faking this kind of stuff and saying its God is a sin and against Gods Word.
It's not faking. And it is of God because the Holy Spirit uses it to talk to you and strengthen you. Kriss, you're making blind speculations.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I didnt say you were faking Wakka he said I should try it I said faking it is a sin and I think you would agree anyone who fakes this and says its God is sinning

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
it's really hard to define what tongues is in today's churches. we know the word tounges means languages or understood languages which we can be fimilar with, but other followers in the church view it as some spiritual, unknown language, and this is where, i feel, the word tongues may be badly translated. i actually found out the spiritual-tongues-version was actually adpoted by a couple of U.S. students from the Bethel Bible School in the early 1900's, who were only trying to test if recieving the holy spirit was by speaking in tonges. however, it wasn't reported if they actually spoke in an actual language or not, because there wasn't any other witnesses credible enough to validate this claim. one of the students there said the one speaking in tounges was speaking in chinese, but since this person was a young american, and had no understanding of the chinese language itself, and giving that it's 1906, i hardly find his testimony credible. maybe it's possible he thought the other student was speaking in chinese because it sounded like chinese to him, but that's my opinion. anyhow, this news was picked up and was passed on to an american preacher called William J. Seymour. he then took this teaching of tonges and passed it to different churches in houston and one in califorina which lead to the Azusa Street Revival. it was reported by the neighbourhood that they were speaking in languages unknown to them. they also reported the members of the church ran, jumped, and spinned around in circles all over the place screaming and making howling noises to the break of daylight. it got to the point where the neighbours were calling the police to shut down the building. eventually this movement picked up to the point where missionaries went out from Azusa and passed this teaching of tongues all over the world; UK, europe, australia etc. and it is now adopted in most mainstream churches.in my opinion, i feel that these people were only trying to recieve tonges and not recieve god. i really believe that tongues is a known language and not some spiritual language that one can't understand. i also find it hard to believe why one would want to speak in some unknown spiritual language to god when god can clearly hear them in the common language they speak in, and we also can hear god in the same way, through his word, the holy bible. i also feel that this teaching gives people the impression they share some charasmatic contact with god, but scripture proves that connection to god is only established by his son jesus christ. i feel that this teaching could be a false doctrine.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(truth_seeker;47937)
it's really hard to define what tongues is in today's churches. we know the word tounges means languages or understood languages which we can be fimilar with, but other followers in the church view it as some spiritual, unknown language, and this is where, i feel, the word tongues may be badly translated. i actually found out the spiritual-tongues-version was actually adpoted by a couple of U.S. students from the Bethel Bible School in the early 1900's, who were only trying to test if recieving the holy spirit was by speaking in tonges. however, it wasn't reported if they actually spoke in an actual language or not, because there wasn't any other witnesses credible enough to validate this claim. one of the students there said the one speaking in tounges was speaking in chinese, but since this person was a young american, and had no understanding of the chinese language itself, and giving that it's 1906, i hardly find his testimony credible. maybe it's possible he thought the other student was speaking in chinese because it sounded like chinese to him, but that's my opinion. anyhow, this news was picked up and was passed on to an american preacher called William J. Seymour. he then took this teaching of tonges and passed it to different churches in houston and one in califorina which lead to the Azusa Street Revival. it was reported by the neighbourhood that they were speaking in languages unknown to them. they also reported the members of the church ran, jumped, and spinned around in circles all over the place screaming and making howling noises to the break of daylight. it got to the point where the neighbours were calling the police to shut down the building. eventually this movement picked up to the point where missionaries went out from Azusa and passed this teaching of tongues all over the world; UK, europe, australia etc. and it is now adopted in most mainstream churches.in my opinion, i feel that these people were only trying to recieve tonges and not recieve god. i really believe that tongues is a known language and not some spiritual language that one can't understand. i also find it hard to believe why one would want to speak in some unknown spiritual language to god when god can clearly hear them in the common language they speak in, and we also can hear god in the same way, through his word, the holy bible. i also feel that this teaching gives people the impression they share some charasmatic contact with god, but scripture proves that connection to god is only established by his son jesus christ. i feel that this teaching could be a false doctrine.
1. That's your opinion. I'm 100% sure that it didn't come from two college students who were doing an experiment. I'd believe it if God gave them a revelation, and had a plan for him. Scripture supports the idea of tongues, even in my Bible which does not use the word unknown, I understand it clearer than before.2. There were other preachers who spoke in tongues. In Acts it says that God will pour his spirit out in the last days.Acts 2:16-21 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.What we're seeing today is an out pouring of the spirit. There are new crusades, and much more miracles are happening today then the world has seen in previous time. The only problem is that we live in a shell in America and we do not see it. If we could only go to other countries and experience it ourselves.Here are some youtube videos of what I'm talking about:[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0JzJgKOBI]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0JzJgKOBI[/url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=A61LTJhuk_Uhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=sfqXyErkEXoThis videos are funny and make me want to dance to the tune:http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mg01lzwxkGshttp://youtube.com/watch?v=pQTG4myVNIc

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(kriss;47913)
I didnt say you were faking Wakka he said I should try it I said faking it is a sin and I think you would agree anyone who fakes this and says its God is sinning
It is possible that you are talking about people who do fake it (to make themselves look good). However, public prayer and public tithing can also be displeasing to God (if it is done for the wrong reasons)."And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."Matt 6:5 "41 And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43 Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on." Mark 12:41-44I think you are getting the wrong idea. True prayer in tongues in between you and God (like regular prayer). However, it isn't unreasonable that some people use the gift of tongues to make themselves look good (and God doesn't like this).

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Wakka, raddspencer......Good luck! My experience with people who do not believe even after showing them in scripture....well, I pray for people and leave it to the Holy Spirit to convict and teach it.I did not believe in tongues for a looooonng time, about a year ago I embraced the truth in scriptures and it has opened up so much in my christian walk.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;47973)
Wakka, raddspencer......Good luck! My experience with people who do not believe even after showing them in scripture....well, I pray for people and leave it to the Holy Spirit to convict and teach it.I did not believe in tongues for a looooonng time, about a year ago I embraced the truth in scriptures and it has opened up so much in my christian walk.
that might be true if we were not all talking about the same scriptures and the fact is they say what they say you can believe what they say, or not but its based on your belief not scripture.

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
kriss you are really missing out on something great plz do not let your stubborness stand in the way. I know we can not change your mind but plz pray and ask God to show you the truth believe me He will.You have so much potential and love for God but you are missing out on the best parts I hope you find the truth.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
And you're saying that your gap theory isn't based on belief and scripture?!

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(Craig19;47981)
kriss you are really missing out on something great plz do not let your stubborness stand in the way. I know we can not change your mind but plz pray and ask God to show you the truth believe me He will.You have so much potential and love for God but you are missing out on the best parts I hope you find the truth.
When I spoke in tongues I got drunk in the spirit (it was hilarious). You stumble around, but you are fully aware of your surroundings. Also, I have never drank a drop of alcohol (alcoholism runs in my family), so it is the only time that I have ever "technically" been drunk.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I've never been drunk. The most I've ever felt was enlightened to where I giggled.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Craig19;47981)
http://www.entrewave.com/view/reformedonli...%20part%205.htmThis is what the scripture says you can belive what you like my job is to tell you what it says you dont wanna believe thats your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.