Tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
(setfree;48044)
The disciples on the day of Pentecost were not preaching to the others (of different languages). Peter preached! These disciples were full of the Spirit and were praising God, (telling of the wonderful works of God)
i didn't say the disciples were preaching to the gentiles in different languages on the day of pentecost. i said the gentiles heard them speak in their native languages. and then i said, i believe they were given these languages to spread the word. i wasn't stating they were spreading the word in different languages on the day of pentecost. sorry for the confusion.remember, most of the gospels were written in greek. do you think this was a mere coincidence?(setfree;48044)
Acts 10:46 When the spirit fell upon them they magnified(praised) God. They did not preach!
again, i never said they preached.(setfree;48044)
Eph. 19:6 They spoke with tongues AND preached. These are seperate gifts not the same. It does not mention anyone there hearing them speak in their tongue. They were praising(like praying).
agreed, tounges is a gift from the holy ghost.

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
(kriss;48045)
Amen truth seeker someone who can understand scripture I didnt know about Agnes but I did reseach and found that the first men who did this tried to later denounce it as evil but it was to late.....then by the 1960 the movement was taken over by radicals who went to the catholics to help them form a doctrine.
yup that's definitly true, amen.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;48044)
The disciples on the day of Pentecost were not preaching to the others (of different languages). Peter preached! These disciples were full of the Spirit and were praising God, (telling of the wonderful works of God) Acts 10:46 When the spirit fell upon them they magnified(praised) God. They did not preach! Eph. 19:6 They spoke with tongues AND preached. These are seperate gifts not the same. It does not mention anyone there hearing them speak in their tongue. They were praising(like praying).
Yes they spoke with languages of men The language of Pencost was evidenced by the fact that it was understood by all in their natative language The miracle of Pentecost has nothing to do with babbling mutterings of unitellagable words. It was God teaching man the tongue of first cor. Was the gift of forgeign langage for men to teach men the gospel as given them on Pentecost day it has nothing to do with any unknown tongues

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
truth_seeker;48040]if that said:
why didn't agnez preach in this chinese language [/u]to the chinese community? that's what the gift of tongues is for. shouldn't she atleast went to see someone who was chinese or someone who could speak chinese fluently to see if she was speaking chinese?QUOTE']It seems here you are implying that the tongues were suppose to be used for preaching. I do not know anything about this girl you are talking about....but if she did recieve a gift from God and it was the gift of tongues..Where does it say that this gift was used to preach in another language?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;48048)
Yes they spoke with languages of men The language of Pencost was evidenced by the fact that it was understood by all in their natative language The miracle of Pentecost has nothing to do with babbling mutterings of unitellagable words. It was God teaching man the tongue of first cor. Was the gift of forgeign langage for men to teach men the gospel as given them on Pentecost day it has nothing to do with any unknown tongues
I have not heard that many people speak in tongues or as you call it babbling, but I have heard people speak other languages on Television and to me it was gibberish because I did not understand there language. The Spirit was given the day of Pentecost for them to recieve power, a power that only before that day only a select few had. With this power they would be a witness(one that tells what they exerienced).They were speaking a different language...but not to preach.

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
setfree;48049][QUOTE=truth_seeker;48040]if that said:
why didn't agnez preach in this chinese language [/u]to the chinese community? that's what the gift of tongues is for. shouldn't she atleast went to see someone who was chinese or someone who could speak chinese fluently to see if she was speaking chinese?QUOTE']It seems here you are implying that the tongues were suppose to be used for preaching. I do not know anything about this girl you are talking about....but if she did recieve a gift from God and it was the gift of tongues..Where does it say that this gift was used to preach in another language?
well i'm not a 100 percent sure she recieved this chinese language, i really don't think she did, but if she did, shouldn't she not have used it to spread the word to the chinese communities? what was the point of reciving this language and not put it into use? was it just gona sit there and do nothing? what was the movtive? i really believe this is what the gift of tounges is for. but if you feel i'm wrong, plz show me in scripture.

truth_seeker

Mar 26, 2008
well i could be wrong in that specific interpredtation, setfree. but my whole point of the post was to point out that Agnes Ozman, Charles Fox Parham and William J. Seymour, spread a false doctrine of tongues. sorry if some of my sentences contridict your beliefs. i wasn't trying to change doctrine, i was only trying to determine the path of those people's ways, which was the whole point of the post.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;48052)
I have not heard that many people speak in tongues or as you call it babbling, but I have heard people speak other languages on Television and to me it was gibberish because I did not understand there language. The Spirit was given the day of Pentecost for them to recieve power, a power that only before that day only a select few had. With this power they would be a witness(one that tells what they exerienced).They were speaking a different language...but not to preach.
Thats nothing but an excuses people use no body understands what you call tongues they have even tested it scientifically it is not a language and God never spoke of it its just a bunch of sounds strung together mutterings of unitellagable babble 1Cor 14 describes nothing but natrual human languages. As we have discussed numerous times. muttering is spoken of in the new testament is 1Cor. 10:101 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.11.Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(truth_seeker;48055)
well i could be wrong in that specific interpredtation, setfree. but my whole point of the post was to point out that Agnes Ozman, Charles Fox Parham and William J. Seymour, spread a false doctrine of tongues. sorry if some of my sentences contridict your beliefs. i wasn't trying to change doctrine, i was only trying to determine the path of those people's ways, which was the whole point of the post.
I am trying, as everyone, to understand scripture clearer. So far in my understanding of scripture concerning the gift of tongues...Yes it is a language-one that the speaker did not know before(did not learn). This tongue is a gift from God through the Holy Spirit. It is used in speaking to God.(vs2) Divine mysteries. Most of the ones shown in scripture that has spoken in tongues, they were magnifying God.When this gift is used in the church it has to have an interpreter. When this is done it is equal to prophecy.(vs. 5)Tongues edify self, it is use to build your self up...which is good because in Jude 20 it tells us to build our faith by praying in the spirit.We are to pray that we can interpret our tongue...vs. 14 tells us if we pray in tongue our spirit prays, but we do not understand what we are saying.We are to pray in tongues and with our mind. If we speak blessings in church in tongues no one can understand us and agree with us (vs. 16)....but our praying or thanks is good when we pray in tongues, but it does not help anyone else. So IN CHURCH we are to speak so others can understand us.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;48056)
Thats nothing but an excuses people use no body understands what you call tongues they have even tested it scientifically it is not a language and God never spoke of it its just a bunch of sounds strung together mutterings of unitellagable babble 1Cor 14 describes nothing but natrual human languages. As we have discussed numerous times. muttering is spoken of in the new testament is 1Cor. 10:101 Corinthians 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.11.Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
Kriss, Murmur(not muttering) used in 1 Cor. 10:10 is complaining, it has nothing to do with the manifestation of the Holy Spirit.If you speak tongues in church and no one understands...it benifits nothing!!!UNLESS there is an interpreter. I agree with what Paul wrote...tongues done as the Corinthians were doing it (and some churches today) are wrong. But done the right way is very powerful!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes setfree exactly an interpter of natrual langues not babble the corinthians were speaking the languages of the nations of men to spread the word of God not babbling that is what scripture says and all it says Now if you want to pray in your version of tongues that is between you and God and I have no right to judge that. What I do take objection too as I have said is trying to say Gods Word says what it does not say Gods Word never speaks of anything in Cor. but natrural langues of men And pentcost was God speaking thru man and all understood. Neither of these two things has anything to do with your prayers

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;48064)
Yes setfree exactly an interpter of natrual langues not babble the corinthians were speaking the languages of the nations of men to spread the word of God not babbling that is what scripture says and all it says Now if you want to pray in your version of tongues that is between you and God and I have no right to judge that. What I do take objection too as I have said is trying to say Gods Word says what it does not say Gods Word never speaks of anything in Cor. but natrural langues of men And pentcost was God speaking thru man and all understood. Neither of these two things has anything to do with your prayers
Again I never said tongues was anything but languages. Pentecost was The Holy Spirit being manifested through His disciples they were filled and magnified God.During prayer we are to magnify God, I believe it does have something to do with prayer. 1 Cor. tell us that tongues is speaking to God. MY understanding of prayer is talking to God.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;48067)
To increase grow/enlarge the knowledge of God that is his word
Megaluno..to declare great..to get glory and PRAISE. I believe this is prayer. Those disciples on the day of Penecost were not speaking TO those people, they were magnifying God! The people heard them magnify God in there own language. THEY WERE PRAISING GOD!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(setfree;48068)
Again I never said tongues was anything but languages. Pentecost was The Holy Spirit being manifested through His disciples they were filled and magnified God.During prayer we are to magnify God, I believe it does have something to do with prayer. 1 Cor. tell us that tongues is speaking to God. MY understanding of prayer is talking to God.
Set free, they won't understand. They've got their hearts hardened with denomination and doctrine. Kriss, the Bible said that in the latter days, God will pour out His spirit. With His spirit, came the gift of tongues.Have you been to a church that spoke and interpreted in tongues? Have you been to a healing church? Have you been to a church where the Holy Spirit came down that everybody could feel it?!Until you see it for yourself, don't deny it. You're denying an essential gift of the Holy Spirit. And ultimately giving the Holy Spirit a bad name.
sad.gif

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Wakka;48071)
Set free, they won't understand. They've got their hearts hardened with denomination and doctrine. Kriss, the Bible said that in the latter days, God will pour out His spirit. With His spirit, came the gift of tongues.Have you been to a church that spoke and interpreted in tongues? Have you been to a healing church? Have you been to a church where the Holy Spirit came down that everybody could feel it?!Until you see it for yourself, don't deny it. You're denying an essential gift of the Holy Spirit. And ultimately giving the Holy Spirit a bad name.
sad.gif

Even though I know what you say is true, I just hate it when satan has people blinded. But just as I did...we have to chose to believe or we will not see or experience....I will keep praying....

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes I have Wakka many times and never did I see anything even close to the gifts lies of men if one can truly heal why are they behind the pulpit asking for money instaed of at the childrens hospital ward ?? Its always the church in so and so place had a healing. I believe God can heal anyone but he doesnt need some preacher babbling unknown things God never spoke of. and you are right about the latter days but the gift never was anything but Natural languages to spread the word and thats what scripture says.

Status
Not open for further replies.