Toward Death More Abundantly Instead... of Life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then was Nazareth an inhabited town? Or no?

Where this is significant to me is in the question of whether we can trust what the Bible says, or if we have to somehow figure out what it could mean when it says Jesus lived in "a town where no one lived"?
Do you really suppose that God has given you or me or any other one person all of the answers to all of the questions? The answers needed by each of us are those answers necessary for us to perform our function properly as the part which we are to be in the Body of Christ. There was a message in the post I posted, but you apparently missed the message. Is there no Interpreter?

"But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:28

Who interpreted the parables that Jesus spoke?

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them." John 10:1-6

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand." Matt 13:10-13

Reactions: mjrhealth

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. There are two Ways, one of Life and one of Death, and there is a great difference between the two Ways....

~The Didache~

Peace be with you!
Indeed! This what I see as what men often call "free will". There are only two choices really expressed in the scriptures, which Jesus calls God or mammon... the latter one being "death".

Reactions: Philip James

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you've described here is a misunderstanding that was acknowledged and corrected. But what you say of me is that I'm eager to attack - ready to pounce - which is something very different.

Now. I'm not pointing this out because of some sense of offense or insult. I point it out because I feel it to be detrimental to real communication.

Much love!
Sure being 'ready to pounce' is detrimental to real communication if it means that a person has already decided his answer before hand and his only purpose is to somehow win something through discussion or debate. My words to that effect regarding you were based on the way you entered this thread talking about @bbyrd009 before he was on the scene based on decisions you had made about him previously. Even if you were complete right about him, why did you insist on pressing the issue here? I disagree with your decision about him. He might by his actions or word might convince me otherwise, but why should you expect to do so? We are really talking about Life or death in any case no matter what @bbyrd009 may think about them. I think or believe and you think or believe. Forget about bbyrd in any discussion of ours. Forget about you and me ever having had another discussion about anything.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forget about bbyrd in any discussion of ours.
You were the one who invoked him. And I think the record of his posts speak for themselves.

Forget about you and me ever having had another discussion about anything.
OK!

:)

You've mentioned "Death more abundantly" as something that can be in the Born Again Christian's life, something they seek after, and that being the ways of the flesh, and that by doing so, they bring upon themselves spiritual death. Do I have the right idea?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really suppose that God has given you or me or any other one person all of the answers to all of the questions? The answers needed by each of us are those answers necessary for us to perform our function properly as the part which we are to be in the Body of Christ. There was a message in the post I posted, but you apparently missed the message. Is there no Interpreter?

"But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:28

Who interpreted the parables that Jesus spoke?

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them." John 10:1-6

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand." Matt 13:10-13
Does this mean then that you don't know whether Nazareth was an inhabited town? Even though the Bible says that Jesus lived there?

Shouldn't we be able to have confidence in the statements in the Bible? If we can't trust the simple statement that Jesus lived in Nazareth, how are we expected to trust the other claims made?

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will never be a part of the mature healthy Body of Christ if we remain babies all of our lives like many seemingly do.
Do you think we are a part of the body of Christ by being born again, or do we become a part of the body of Christ at some time later?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you not believe that before they disobeyed, Adam and Eve, had the real Life, which Jesus was sent to bring for whosoever will?
I do not believe that Adam and Eve were regenerated by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. I believe that the life God gave to Adam was a natural life, and that life we receive in Christ is a supernatural life.

Adam was Created by God. We are born of God. There is a fundamental difference.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a message in the post I posted, but you apparently missed the message.
Check me on this . . . the message I received was that it's not important where Jesus lived, not to us now. Is that correct?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam and Eve had red blood in their flesh, but what they lost was the Holy Spirit, the Breath of God in them.
And yet the Bible speaks of those living, including the animals, as having "the breath of life in them". So I don't think this is speaking of the Holy Spirit. I can't think of any place in the Bible that says this was so, is there something more specific?

Much love!

Reactions: charity

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were the one who invoked him. And I think the record of his posts speak for themselves.

OK!

:)

You've mentioned "Death more abundantly" as something that can be in the Born Again Christian's life, something they seek after, and that being the ways of the flesh, and that by doing so, they bring upon themselves spiritual death. Do I have the right idea?

Much love!
I invoked what I saw as the good of what @bbyrd009 did. You insist still on it all being evil. I haven't read this "record of his posts" concluding with your conclusion.

The reason people pursue "death more abundantly" is because it is the easy way according to the flesh. Everyone likes to sit back in their easy chair when they are tired. People did the same thing before Jesus was born. A new possibility was available but even among the Jewish leadership who knew scripture, they could not believe the Truth when it was before their eyes. It was so comfortable to rest in the status quo. People were born dead and the opportunity to pursue Life is before them, but that they might have to do something even with God's help was what they were not are not for the most part it seems willing to do. That apathy or luke-warmness is equal to death!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Satan knows in order for him to deceive the world he must first deceive the Christians ...and he's using the word of God to do it.

How? By twisting the meaning of words so that it serves mankind and the kingdom of the devil, rather than God and His kingdom.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this mean then that you don't know whether Nazareth was an inhabited town? Even though the Bible says that Jesus lived there?

Shouldn't we be able to have confidence in the statements in the Bible? If we can't trust the simple statement that Jesus lived in Nazareth, how are we expected to trust the other claims made?

Much love!
Still you insist on your carnal road as if by human logic and the scientific evidence the real Truth, which is Jesus, may somehow be seen. I have explained your question by my original posts before you began your questions. Laying it out in black and white terms using the English language won't change it. I was not there in the flesh 2,000 years ago and I do not even have the expertise of an archeologist to lay the results of my scientific studies before you. Was there a natural village named Nazareth 2,000 years ago? Was there man of flesh and blood named Jesus who was crucified 2,000 years ago? Do I have faith to believe that Jesus was sent by God 2,000 years ago? Consider the words of Abraham to the rich man in that place of torment and compare it with your own questions:

"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31

Now read again with understanding if you can:

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:17

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

Where is your faith? Will you strengthen it somehow by showing that a village name Nazareth existed near the Sea of Galilee 2,000 years ago? Go for it, but check in with God along the way:

"And when the prophet that brought him back from the way heard thereof, he said, It is the man of God, who was disobedient unto the word of the LORD: therefore the LORD hath delivered him unto the lion, which hath torn him, and slain him, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake unto him." I Kings 13:26

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think we are a part of the body of Christ by being born again, or do we become a part of the body of Christ at some time later?

Much love!
Will my faith in this or that sway you or should we trust in Him?

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase." I Cor 3:6-7

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe that Adam and Eve were regenerated by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. I believe that the life God gave to Adam was a natural life, and that life we receive in Christ is a supernatural life.

Adam was Created by God. We are born of God. There is a fundamental difference.
You have already made up your mind... so why ask me as if my answer when it differs from your would have made a difference:

"Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God." Luke 3:38

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is your faith? Will you strengthen it somehow by showing that a village name Nazareth existed near the Sea of Galilee 2,000 years ago?
See, to me, the real issue here is the credibility of the Bible.

No, my faith is not resting on whether there was a certain town or not. But I do trust that what God says is true.

Still you insist on your carnal road
My carnal road? How so? Shouldn't we be able to read the Bible and accept what it says? And my thinking that the Bible is true is carnal?

That doesn't make sense to me.

If we can't trust the simplest statements, what can we trust? But I think we can.

Now read again with understanding if you can:

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:17

What is your faith in? And how can you know, if you don't know whether the claims in Scripture are true? Or if we're talking about that it's all parables, or, what did someone say recently? Right, that the Bible is a "book of riddles". then who IS to interpret? Because all have their own understanding. What is Nazareth to you? To me? To someone else? We'll all have our own answers.

To me, Nazareth in this context is a Litmus Test.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check me on this . . . the message I received was that it's not important where Jesus lived, not to us now. Is that correct?

Much love!
I don't think I said that. Without rereading my post I said something, I believe, to the effect that there is a more important message...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet the Bible speaks of those living, including the animals, as having "the breath of life in them". So I don't think this is speaking of the Holy Spirit. I can't think of any place in the Bible that says this was so, is there something more specific?

Much love!
I have told you what I believe. I could take a whole lot of time to give you a whole lot a scriptures, [some which I would have to look up] in support of why I would believe what I do. I do not have the time nor the patience to do that especially when it would undoubtedly not change anything at all for you. Simply go back to the lowest room and start from there. If God is in it you will end up at the same place I am... eventually.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, to me, the real issue here is the credibility of the Bible.
How deep do you want to get into that one? The problem is that we disagree on so many things, that communication is a real problem because of what each word or phrase or verse of scripture means... to you and to me.

No, my faith is not resting on whether there was a certain town or not. But I do trust that what God says is true.
Same problem. I have answered really every question, but either you have not understood or you have really disagreed or some combination of the two.

My carnal road? How so? Shouldn't we be able to read the Bible and accept what it says? And my thinking that the Bible is true is carnal?
Your basic misunderstanding of where @bbyrd009 is coming from much of the time applies here. The end result is a lack of communication at the least, while at the most it could make a difference in our final result with God... but that is out of our ball park and into His. Don't try to grow faster than you can. But... keep striving to grow!

That doesn't make sense to me.

If we can't trust the simplest statements, what can we trust? But I think we can.

What is your faith in? And how can you know, if you don't know whether the claims in Scripture are true? Or if we're talking about that it's all parables, or, what did someone say recently? Right, that the Bible is a "book of riddles". then who IS to interpret? Because all have their own understanding. What is Nazareth to you? To me? To someone else? We'll all have our own answers.

To me, Nazareth in this context is a Litmus Test.

Much love!

Well you may choose to Nazareth for your Litmus Test if you so wish it. For me I left that in my chemistry classes 50 years ago.
The Bible is effectively as I see it a book of parables for it is the uninterpreted word of God. When it is uninterpreted it amounts to not being the Word of God at all because it has no Life in it. Be careful where you get your interpretations:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." II Peter 1:20-21

Without the Holy Ghost is it really more than a whole lot of sometimes interesting but lifeless parables.

"All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world." Matt 13:34-35

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is effectively as I see it a book of parables for it is the uninterpreted word of God.
This is at the heart then. We read the Bible in entirely different ways, so there should be no surprise when we arrive at entirely different understandings.

I'm curious though in the interpretation of these parables, who IS the interpreter? I know we say it is the Holy Spirit, but what when each have their own interpretation?

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." II Peter 1:20-21

This passage . . . I believe it is not speaking about how we read and understand prophecy, rather, it is telling us that the prophet didn't write what they themself thought, no, the spoke as they were carried by the Holy Spirit.

I'm curious . . . what is the account of Jesus' resurrection a parable for? Aren't we trusting in a literal Jesus rising from the dead? Or is that not right?

Reactions: charity