Trusting - then and now.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering today as I re-read Psalm 91 whether we might lose some of our childlike, simple faith as we mature.

Back in 1984 we went to the Dales Bible Week in Harrogate for the first time. It was the first time I had ever slept in a tent and I was worried until God ‘gave’ me Psalm 91:10 “no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.” I was a fairly new Christian and took these words as a promise and totally believed in them.

On the first night under canvas there was an almighty storm in Yorkshire; York Minster was struck by lightning and set on fire and all around the campsite people were being flooded out and everybody was out in the pouring rain tightening guy ropes.

Our tent never even moved. My husband and son slept through it all and I just lay there giving thanks to God.

This particular Psalm came to mind at the outbreak of the Coronavirus as I remembered the lines in Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. And reading the psalm this morning I wondered how I could trust in those words from the Lord back then but years later, and as a much more mature and knowledgeable Christian, I have to work so hard at believing this promise when I simply accepted the other one all those years ago.