Truth and Love

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don’t often like posting a thread that is more “making a point”, rather than putting a question out there, but have felt the need to at this time. There seems, to me, to be a shocking lack of…acceptance, of some things here on CB. Some question if the Bible holds truth, or if God can be known, others hold love up as the highest a person can achieve, but then call other people “jerks”, or tell them to basically shove off if they don’t toe the party line. All fine I suppose if you’re “in” that party, but it seems to me to smell of hypocrisy.

But what does the Bible say? We’re Christian’s, right? What does the Bible say about truth and the need to weave it in around its command to love others?

Well…in the OT, we see straight away that God values the truth.

Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?

The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,

who speaks the truth from their heart; - Psalm 15:1-2

I have not spoken in secret,
from somewhere in a land of darkness;
I have not said to Jacob’s descendants,
‘Seek me in vain.’
I, the Lord, speak the truth;

I declare what is right. – Isaiah 45:19

Lord, do not your eyes look for truth? – Jeremiah 5:3

“Therefore love truth and peace.” - Daniel 10:19b

Then in the Gospels we see how integral truth is with Jesus himself and his message.

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. – John 1:14

For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. – John 1:17

But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God. – John 3:21

God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” – John 4:24

Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. – John 17:17

Then we have all the Epistles. And they fill in a clear picture for us.

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness. – Rom 1:18

Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. – Rom 2:2

But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. – Rom 2:8

We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you. – Gal 2:5

When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel – Gal 2:14

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. – Eph 1:13

Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. – Eph 4:15

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth). – Eph 5:8-9

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, - Eph 6:14a

They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. – 2 Thess 2:10b

But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. – 2 Thess 2:13

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. – 1 Tim 2:3

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness – Titus 1:1

There are many more passages, but these give us a clear picture that salvation is linked with hearing, and believing this truth, which comes from God. Truth is not some nebulous idea that sounds good in theory but just can’t be pinned down at the corners. God has expressed his truth to us through Christ and his word.

How does truth interweave with love? I believe the bible shows that truth is the foundation love is built on. Without a solid foundation of truth, any love is bound to fail, as it is human in origin and execution.

1 Cor 13:6 says: Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

And 1 Peter 1:22 says: Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

1 John 2:3-5 tells us this: We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them.

Matt 22:37: Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

When we see these last two verses, we must conclude two things: to successfully fulfil the first command (love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind), we must first seek and understand his truth; we need to be able to love him with a love based on a truth that comes from him and a knowledge that comes from him. Love is the action (following his commands) that comes from knowing him. And once we love God as our absolute, utmost treasure, it will determine how we can fulfil the second command (love your neighbour as yourself). And that’s why the Bible places so much weight on truth. A person mired in self deception will never be able to love others in truth. A truth that leads back to the gospel of grace.

Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining. Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. - 1 John 2:8-9

Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. – 1 John 3:18

Love is an outpouring of truth. The truth that we have been saved by God and his Son, and our ability to come into a real relationship with God…to know him. Without such truth, love becomes aimless, pointless and useless. It becomes corruptible. It becomes self-serving and self-reflecting.

Don Carson says it better than I ever could:

“Love for God entails the rejection of false worship; in the name of loving people we may refuse to love God and refuse to exercise discipline. This does not show that our love is superior, it shows that our love for human beings is more important to us than our love for God.”

My concern on CB is twofold. I see those who proclaim love and tolerance, but then only show those traits to those that agree with them. And I see those who, in belief of their own cognitive superiority, toss away the sure knowledge of truth from scripture; the knowledge that we can know our Heavenly Father. Am I saying here that I see myself as a paragon? Hardly. I smack my head into my own personal wall of struggles daily.

But having been on the other end of said superiority and ‘tolerance and love’, I couldn’t help but feel the Bible should have some input into the conversation. This is what I see the bible clearly saying about truth, and why it’s so important in how we love.

What do others think?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Naomi, this has been the story all through history to which Paul having battled 'beasts' says work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. We can see the machinations in scripture of those who twist and misrepresent. God's tolerance for twisting his word stands for now but Ohhh what terrible consequences it has. It was hypocrisy that Jesus came down on hardest. The anaesthetic of sin feathers this nest beautifully.
It is a fearsome thing to be self deceived where one is sure one is on the right side only to find to late that one is on the wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My concern on CB is twofold. I see those who proclaim love and tolerance, but then only show those traits to those that agree with them. And I see those who, in belief of their own cognitive superiority, toss away the sure knowledge of truth from scripture; the knowledge that we can know our Heavenly Father. Am I saying here that I see myself as a paragon? Hardly. I smack my head into my own personal wall of struggles daily.

But having been on the other end of said superiority and ‘tolerance and love’, I couldn’t help but feel the Bible should have some input into the conversation. This is what I see the bible clearly saying about truth, and why it’s so important in how we love.

What do others think?

Naomi, I'm a firm believer in speaking the truth in love. It sometimes gets me into a lot of hot water (as it did today). But I don't shy away from it nevertheless. Despite being ridiculed, I just guard my heart and keep moving. I can't do much about the hearts and minds of others except show them the way.

About superiority, I do actually feel as though God has honored me with a certain amount of revelation over the years, but I don't see myself as "superior" in any way, for it is only by His grace that I understand the things that I do. Same goes for operating in spiritual gifts. They are not "mine." The only reason I have them is because they were a gift. I amount to nothing in and of myself.

So I essentially agree with you. It's just that there are not always a lot of folks who have a love for the truth such that they have ears to hear. So you have to go in every day prepared for your love to be rejected.

Blessings!

Reactions: Naomi25

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Naomi, I'm a firm believer in speaking the truth in love. It sometimes gets me into a lot of hot water (as it did today). But I don't shy away from it nevertheless. Despite being ridiculed, I just guard my heart and keep moving. I can't do much about the hearts and minds of others except show them the way.

About superiority, I do actually feel as though God has honored me with a certain amount of revelation over the years, but I don't see myself as "superior" in any way, for it is only by His grace that I understand the things that I do. Same goes for operating in spiritual gifts. They are not "mine." The only reason I have them is because they were a gift. I amount to nothing in and of myself.

So I essentially agree with you. It's just that there are not always a lot of folks who have a love for the truth such that they have ears to hear. So you have to go in every day prepared for your love to be rejected.

Blessings!

Thank you for your reply, and I have never felt that you have been trying to be 'superior' in any way. I very much enjoy how you manage to give encouraging, insightful answers, no matter the topic at hand.
I think what makes me shake my head most, in this topic, is that while, indeed, scripture holds up love as something that is so precious, in our own lives and in what we show to others...there are those who seem to dismiss what the bible says about it in regards to how we are to love God first and the nature of love itself; how it comes from him, and is also a natural overflow of our love for him. How can we claim to love others with a Christian love, if we reject those things? Reject the truth behind them? Do they really think their love will be better than a love that God prescribes?
And how can we say that we see the fruit of this love that they preach is more important than anything else, when they seemingly believe that it is then permitted for them to 'let loose' when someone does or says something that perhaps they don't agree with? Surely they must see the hypocrisy, or at least irony, behind this.
People are not perfect; I know this well. But when we start preaching that the most important thing is to "love our neighbor", rather than love our God and follow his truth, then behaviors like calling said neighbors, whoever they may be, or whatever they have done, "jerks", is suddenly highlighted because you've just violated your own highest mandate. THIS is why going back to biblical truth is so vital. This is all I'm trying to say.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does the Bible say about truth and the need to weave it in around its command to love others?
Presenting God's truth is indeed an act of love -- agape love. Those who know, understand, and believe God's truth are saved by His grace, and are told to be salt and light. Salt is a preservative but it also stings on open wounds. Light is necessary to battle the spiritual darkness that surrounds us and also bring clarity to that which is murky.

While many believe they are presenting God's truth, they are zealous for the doctrines of men (which are ultimately the lies of Satan). So each one much make Scripture -- Bible truth -- the first priority, and love will follow.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely they must see the hypocrisy, or at least irony, behind this.

No, you would think they do but they actually don't, amazingly enough. There is this delusion that merely to speak "the truth," in no matter what spirit, is a form of "love," but it is not.

One of the key passages about this is in James:

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him demonstrate from good behavior his works through meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in your heart, do not boast and lie against the truth. This is not the wisdom coming down from above, but is earthly, soulish, and demonic. For where jealousy and contentiousness are, there is restlessness and every evil work. But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, moderating, yielding, full of pity and good fruits, does not apply double standards and is not hypocritical. And the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those making peace." (James 3:13-18)

The only way you can truly figure out who the wise men are is in the way they treat people. If someone is continually contentious, James was saying his "wisdom" is not from above but from below, being "earthly, soulish, and demonic." Discerning through doctrinal issues can be complicated, but seeing through what spirit a person is communicating in is not. It's actually very simple. If they are quick to be bitter and contentious, they are what James called "boasting, and lying against the truth," which means they are arrogant and falsely misrepresenting the truth by their behavior.

Do they know they're doing this? No. It is generally my experience that they are utterly deceived, and think they are serving God when they are in fact serving sin and Satan without realizing it. This is partly what James was referring in James 1:13-15, although that would take a bit to unpack.
when we start preaching that the most important thing is to "love our neighbor", rather than love our God and follow his truth, then behaviors like calling said neighbors, whoever they may be, or whatever they have done, "jerks", is suddenly highlighted because you've just violated your own highest mandate. THIS is why going back to biblical truth is so vital. This is all I'm trying to say.

I'm starting to see your point now, and yes, I agree with you. If we don't have a love for the word first and foremost, we will never come to the place of knowing what true love is for our fellow man (if I understand you correctly).

Thanks for the gracious reply. I appreciate your kindness, sister, and thank you for posting this thread. It's helpful.

B

brakelite

I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted posts after reading them before posting. Frustration and knee jerk replies accomplish nothing. I am of the opinion that regardless of how true ones words or understanding may be, like Paul said, it becomes a clanging symbol in the ears of the reader if couched in language that is impolite, abusive, superior, or arrogant. None of that reduces the need for sharing truth but people will certainly be more receptive if you aren't suggesting that they are unworthy of your great and profound wisdom.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Presenting God's truth is indeed an act of love -- agape love. Those who know, understand, and believe God's truth are saved by His grace, and are told to be salt and light. Salt is a preservative but it also stings on open wounds. Light is necessary to battle the spiritual darkness that surrounds us and also bring clarity to that which is murky.

While many believe they are presenting God's truth, they are zealous for the doctrines of men (which are ultimately the lies of Satan). So each one much make Scripture -- Bible truth -- the first priority, and love will follow.

True! I believe this is why (apart from the obvious!) the first "Great commandment" is to love God with all our hearts, souls and minds. When we do, love for others flows from that. But if we don't understand who God is, or the Truth he has revealed to us, it is very hard to love him with all our minds, as well as our hearts and souls. You cannot love something you don't truly know, can you?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, you would think they do but they actually don't, amazingly enough. There is this delusion that merely to speak "the truth," in no matter what spirit, is a form of "love," but it is not.

One of the key passages about this is in James:

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him demonstrate from good behavior his works through meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in your heart, do not boast and lie against the truth. This is not the wisdom coming down from above, but is earthly, soulish, and demonic. For where jealousy and contentiousness are, there is restlessness and every evil work. But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, moderating, yielding, full of pity and good fruits, does not apply double standards and is not hypocritical. And the fruit is righteousness being sown in peace by those making peace." (James 3:13-18)

The only way you can truly figure out who the wise men are is in the way they treat people. If someone is continually contentious, James was saying his "wisdom" is not from above but from below, being "earthly, soulish, and demonic." Discerning through doctrinal issues can be complicated, but seeing through what spirit a person is communicating in is not. It's actually very simple. If they are quick to be bitter and contentious, they are what James called "boasting, and lying against the truth," which means they are arrogant and falsely misrepresenting the truth by their behavior.

Do they know they're doing this? No. It is generally my experience that they are utterly deceived, and think they are serving God when they are in fact serving sin and Satan without realizing it. This is partly what James was referring in James 1:13-15, although that would take a bit to unpack.
Actually, I was probably more alluding to the other way around, specifically: those who claim to love, but are not loving.
But...your point is brilliant, so let's leave it be, because it's just the other side of the coin, isn't it?
Just like people who try and love without Gods truth, there are those who try and shout truth with no love. Both are just wrong and will leave hurt, broken people in their wake. It's not what God wants or plans.

I'm starting to see your point now, and yes, I agree with you. If we don't have a love for the word first and foremost, we will never come to the place of knowing what true love is for our fellow man (if I understand you correctly).

Thanks for the gracious reply. I appreciate your kindness, sister, and thank you for posting this thread. It's helpful.

Yes, this was my point. Too many people these days say that "in the name of love" we must accept and embrace things that God simply does not. If God is against something, is it loving to tell people he is? That it doesn't matter? That they may continue what they are doing? How is that loving? How is urging people to continue on in self destructive behavior in anyway loving? God's truth stands, and it stands for one, blinding, stunning, scandalous reason. Our joy! All these behaviors that he calls us away from? They are ultimately causing us harm and destruction. By turning to God we enter into his truth, his love, his freedom and his eternal blessing. How can we preach anything else??
It terrifies and saddens me to think of everyone out there justifying themselves "in the name of love", when real love hung on a cross and bled, and then gave us very real words to read!
I simply don't understand it. :(

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted posts after reading them before posting. Frustration and knee jerk replies accomplish nothing. I am of the opinion that regardless of how true ones words or understanding may be, like Paul said, it becomes a clanging symbol in the ears of the reader if couched in language that is impolite, abusive, superior, or arrogant. None of that reduces the need for sharing truth but people will certainly be more receptive if you aren't suggesting that they are unworthy of your great and profound wisdom.

You do it well. You and I don't agree on some doctrinal issues, but I like very much that you are up-front about what you believe, and that regardless of said differences people can talk to you easily without fear of being let loose on. It makes a remarkable difference to know that you are actually open to conversation, on a variety of topics, and that in all likelihood, the conversation would remain civil.
It's funny...when I began finding my way onto Christian boards a while ago, I had the idea in my mind that it would be an amazing community of like minded souls; full of fellowship and rejoicing. Boy did I get a surprise!
Like you I've written...and deleted a lot. Posted some I should have deleted. None of us are perfect, as I have daily proof. But my wish, my heartfelt desire, is that people would look to God's word and his call for his truth to be known, just as much as they would point to love. If we longed to know God as much liberals longed for "tolerance"...well...we might get somewhere!

B

brakelite

You do it well. You and I don't agree on some doctrinal issues, but I like very much that you are up-front about what you believe, and that regardless of said differences people can talk to you easily without fear of being let loose on. It makes a remarkable difference to know that you are actually open to conversation, on a variety of topics, and that in all likelihood, the conversation would remain civil.
Thankyou.

Josiah

Jun 12, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to speak the TRUTH but always with LOVE. They are inseparable. "tolerating" or empowering falsehood is not being loving. But being hateful for the sake of truth is not loving. A LOT of it has to do with attitude and purpose. Is my purpose to "win"? To prove myself better/smarter than my brother? Or is my purpose to LOVE them by helping them "see" falsehood and truth.... And do I do that with HUMILITY for I too can be wrong?

Reactions: Naomi25 and APAK

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are to speak the TRUTH but always with LOVE. They are inseparable. "tolerating" or empowering falsehood is not being loving. But being hateful for the sake of truth is not loving. A LOT of it has to do with attitude and purpose. Is my purpose to "win"? To prove myself better/smarter than my brother? Or is my purpose to LOVE them by helping them "see" falsehood and truth.... And do I do that with HUMILITY for I too can be wrong?

I think this is where each and every one of us needs to constantly pray for wisdom. Naturally, we all strive to get our point across...to "contend for the faith" and stand for the truth. It can be hard to know where that line is and when we cross it. When have we gone from, "faithfully standing for God and his word" to "bull-headedly butting at something that won't be seen regardless".
It's not something I get right every time, and well I know it.
But so often there are times when it doesn't matter how our attitude is, or how we strive to come across. The simple fact that we are standing for truth...yes, even persistently, will be seen as "intolerant and unloving". I would rather earn those labels and speak Gods truth than be silent and stand before God one day and explain why I knew his word, but didn't stand up for it.

Reactions: Josiah