Trying to quit smoking

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a young lady who worked in the grocers who smoked, her excuse was "I only started so that I could take fag breaks with the other workers".
I do also and so far I am the only nonsmoker at work aside from maybe two people that I am aware of.

In the beginning it was difficult for me to not stick around out back and "socialize" with smokers and take a break.

A few months of just developing good work habits and it isn't difficult anymore. I'm socializing all day with customers, anyway.

Reactions: Dropship

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incidentally we know many men won't touch a woman who smokes, but how do women feel about taking up with a man who smokes?
As an exsmoker/exvaper I don't really want to be with a smoker/vaper.

For a few reasons, their temper tantrums and withdrawals, expensive habits, and being a bad influence on me when I worked so hard and suffered to quit.

I don't need the temptation.

Reactions: farouk and Dropship

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d FYI....did you see this thread? a lot of posts here lately............

I don't believe in guilt-manipulating ppl who smoke; but it's always good when ppl can quit.....

Yes, I have seen this thread but have no desire to be here. To each his own guilt.
I smoke about 5-10 cigarettes a day. I enjoy smoking while I drink my coffee and start the new day.
Now some will immediately jump to this thread to curse me to the pit. lol,lol
God has NOT condemned me and I find no scripture that states it is a sin. I live by his thoughts on my life, not by what others think.

Now over- eating and laziness is a sin but I leave it in the hands of a fair and just judge and corrector.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has NOT condemned me and I find no scripture that states it is a sin. I live by his thoughts on my life, not by what others think.
Yeah although I quit and I have no desire, I have to be honest.

I think it can count as idolatry/debauchery.

However, Romans 14:15-21 kind of relates in my opinion. I tell you I felt most ashamed and convicted smoking outside and in public, as a Mennonite.

There was something about painfully obvious way of knowing I outright represented the body of Christ, and it was undeniable, and I felt guilty every time, because of the lack of purity, self control, and the "under representation of holiness."

I felt unfit to lead or to be an example. Maybe that was harsh, but as a witness to unbelievers, I felt unqualified to be an example.

Edit: Having said that I believe God also gave me a lot of grace and was understanding of my weaknesses, and was patient with me and eased me into his timing, and not my impatience with myself, and brought me to a position to where I would and *did* quit- easily, after 14-15 years.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah although I quit and I have no desire, I have to be honest.

I think it can count as idolatry/debauchery.

However, Romans 14:15-21 kind of relates in my opinion. I tell you I felt most ashamed and convicted smoking outside and in public, as a Mennonite.

There was something about painfully obvious way of knowing I outright represented the body of Christ, and it was undeniable, and I felt guilty every time, because of the lack of purity, self control, and the "under representation of holiness."

I felt unfit to lead or to be an example. Maybe that was harsh, but as a witness to unbelievers, I felt unqualified to be an example.

Edit: Having said that I believe God also gave me a lot of grace and was understanding of my weaknesses, and was patient with me and eased me into his timing, and not my impatience with myself, and brought me to a position to where I would and *did* quit- easily, after 14-15 years.

That is good in you followed YOUR conviction.
At this time I feel no such conviction, yes I know it isn't healthy and all the bells & whistles but as I said, I enjoy it. It is not a form of idolatry to me, that to me is what others may think about MANY things !

I am also not in an organized group of ppl who call themselves Mennonite, Quakers,Holiness,Baptist,church this or church that.

I follower the way of Christ and he was, is and will be CONDEMNED by others for doing " what they think is wrong" that he has said or done.
WE HEAR IT HERE IN THE FORUMS !
Thank you for your input.

Thank you for your representation of Christ in honesty and transparency. I too believe in transparency for nothing is hidden but what he will reveal it.

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I smoke about 5-10 cigarettes a day. I enjoy smoking while I drink my coffee and start the new day.
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d Like I said, I certainly don't believe that those who smoke should be guilt-manipulated.

I read someplace that before the American Civil War in some places it was widespread for women to smoke after church services. (In those days it would have been pipes; maybe those who don't like smoking will even grudgingly admit that smoking cigarettes seems more ladylike than smoking clay pipes?) but these things are not doctrinal but cultural.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d Like I said, I certainly don't believe that those who smoke should be guilt-manipulated.

I read someplace that before the American Civil War in some places it was widespread for women to smoke after church services. (In those days it would have been pipes; maybe those who don't like smoking will even grudgingly admit that smoking cigarettes seems more ladylike than smoking clay pipes?) but these things are not doctrinal but cultural.

Agreed !

Reactions: farouk

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now over- eating and laziness is a sin but I leave it in the hands of a fair and just judge and corrector.
I agree there's no direct "thou shalt not smoke" statement in the Bible. Some things I guess just need to be lined up.

But I just found it really interesting that you bring up gluttony. I guess there could be some form of comparison there.

I believe God's commands exist to keep us safe. Like as his children, he loves us and he allows us to make mistakes, but it's like telling a kid not to touch a stove. If the kid breaks that command, they will be burned. So I believe his commandments protect us.

So your comment really interested me -

What about the action or consequences of gluttony do you think it is that makes it a sin?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree there's no direct "thou shalt not smoke" statement in the Bible. Some things I guess just need to be lined up.

But I just found it really interesting that you bring up gluttony. I guess there could be some form of comparison there.

I believe God's commands exist to keep us safe. Like as his children, he loves us and he allows us to make mistakes, but it's like telling a kid not to touch a stove. If the kid breaks that command, they will be burned. So I believe his commandments protect us.

So your comment really interested me -

What about the action or consequences of gluttony do you think it is that makes it a sin?

LOOK at it this way, Sister.

Most religious ideations are structured on restrictions. We hear a lot more of the " thou shalt nots" than the pleasant commands of God. We hear more of his cursings rather than his promises and riches.

It is common to the flesh which is weak as opposed to the Spirit which is willing for ppl to compensate and overcompensate for the negatives rather than extol the positives.

It is as you say when you say" DONT", the flesh says " oh Yes I will" [ not consciously ] Gal.5:15-18; Rms.8 1-4 ( context ) . Even Paul said when I would do good the flesh is at war with the Spirit.

The negative restrictions comfort the desire of our flesh in rebellion to how and why God says " NO" even as BELIEVERS.

Who created our perfectly working, self correcting, self healing bodies? Did he make a mistake by giving us an appetite...... no of course not! The flesh has misdirected the appetite to please itself rather than please God.

There are more obese among the Christendom worlds than among the unbelieving, why ? It is a BALANCE among nonbelievers to also think healthy to live here. Yet "we" eat, drink and be merry for we look for an inncoruptible body to inhabit there.......shame on us !

Jesus said for them not to take script, purse,an extra coat etc.but rather depend on God for OUR NEEDS and he would supply the rest. Do we over eat just to hedge our bets ?

Is it lack of trust ? Unhappiness with life?
Not seeking the Spirit whom is OUR comforter?

Why do we over eat and WE DO !
It is named a SIN so maybe we should examine what IS SIN as opposed to what we think sin is !

Hope this makes logical and biblical sense .

Blessings.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d , how are you?
Boy does that parasite called sin live deep in our flesh, hate it!

I have not read any other reply's but, I would say that many Christians are overweight because everything they (we) do seems to revolve around food! Bible Studies, after and before services, during Sunday school, holidays and on and o and on. Lot's of hot dogs and ice cream in the summer and there is more than one picnic at many of the church's around me so...there ya have it, solved ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...lol.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d , how are you?
Boy does that parasite called sin live deep in our flesh, hate it!

I have not read any other reply's but, I would say that many Christians are overweight because everything they (we) do seems to revolve around food! Bible Studies, after and before services, during Sunday school, holidays and on and o and on. Lot's of hot dogs and ice cream in the summer and there is more than one picnic at many of the church's around me so...there ya have it, solved ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...lol.

Lol,
Hi Nancy, you are a beautiful woman with one of the loveliest smiles I've ever seen. It is pure joy.

I am great, thanks. So in love with Jesus!
How are you?

You are correct but why do you suppose we do all the eating. ?

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol,
Hi Nancy, you are a beautiful woman with one of the loveliest smiles I've ever seen. It is pure joy.

I am great, thanks. So in love with Jesus!
How are you?

You are correct but why do you suppose we do all the eating. ?

Thank you for the compliment yet that picture was in 2003-2005ish, but thanks! I am blessed well :)

"but why do you suppose we do all the eating. ?"

They can't drink anymore? hahhaha. Seriously though, don't get it myself.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the compliment yet that picture was in 2003-2005ish, but thanks! I am blessed well :)

"but why do you suppose we do all the eating. ?"

They can't drink anymore? hahhaha. Seriously though, don't get it myself.

Thank you for your candor.
I'm sure your smile is just the same,friendly and open.

Curses upon on all the little foxes that spoil our vine of rightness before Him who knew no sin.
May we every keep pushing against it.

Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember a pastor saying how cool it was that our primary sacrament consists of having a meal of bread and grape juice. :)

Reactions: Nancy