Trying to quit smoking

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now my only addiction is coffee and Diet Dr. Pepper, gave up alcohol also, not that I had an alcohol problem but once I was diagnosed with type two diabetes I figured it best for my health, and also the quitting of smoking, nowadays it’s only caffeine.

No more alcohol and nicotine.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i suggest that they were not “trying to quit” though

I agree, those who have quit smoking, decided to quit smoking. Many times I was trying to quit smoking, but without any success, until I decided to quit smoking and stuck to that resolution. I went for 50 a day to zero in an afternoon and have had no desire to light up again after my last cigarette.

Many people "want" to do many things, but they rarely get past the wanting part.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, those who have quit smoking, decided to quit smoking. Many times I was trying to quit smoking, but without any success, until I decided to quit smoking and stuck to that resolution. I went for 50 a day to zero in an afternoon and have had no desire to light up again after my last cigarette.

Many people "want" to do many things, but they really get past the wanting part.
Me either after I quit I no longer got the urge not even when standing near someone who is smoking and I smelled the cigarette smoke, it doesn’t give me urges.

When I smoked which were the Marlboro Red pack, I loved it, literally, but now I don’t even think about lighting up.

Reactions: Lambano

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i suggest that they were not “trying to quit” though
Ever heard the saying, "You never know till you try"? Sometimes there is a desire to do something, but maybe a fear of failing or self doubt, etc. But you have to just get your feet moving. Take the first step, then the next, and the next. That's my point.

Anyway, it's just a word game. Many people just don't even try. But many who do it despite their self doubt or not knowing how or if they'll succeed ...find out they can succeed because they made the decision to take that first step. That's what I mean by "trying."

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many people "want" to do many things, but they rarely get past the wanting part.
Do you think maybe all the "trying" brought you to the point of finally deciding? I think it can be part of the process.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have to want and have will power, when I choose to quit I didn't try, I simply did it with the help of Nicorrete Lozenges, and never relapsed or turned back, just kept moving forward.

I know for some it's hard to quit something, like people who eat a lot or drink, but when the day comes you just have to have the will power and do it, you don't have to do it cold turkey, nowadays they have so many smoking cessation products you don't have to worry about going into a fit, just take the Nicorette Gum, Lozenges or patches, but if you need something stronger, always talk to your Doctor first.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good advice...one of the reasons I had such a hard time quitting is because I was afraid I would gain weight.
@Heart2Soul I'm sure what you said back a bit is true.

I think also a lot keep at it because for a while it seems to relieve stress.

Quitting can indeed be beneficial, but I really don't get the guilt-manipulation that some ppl seem to relish doing to those who use cigarettes still.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ever heard the saying, "You never know till you try"? Sometimes there is a desire to do something, but maybe a fear of failing or self doubt, etc. But you have to just get your feet moving. Take the first step, then the next, and the next. That's my point.

Anyway, it's just a word game. Many people just don't even try. But many who do it despite their self doubt or not knowing how or if they'll succeed ...find out they can succeed because they made the decision to take that first step. That's what I mean by "trying."
I guess the comment could be similar for those who consider the first step to starting smoking, as well; often it's been planned for a long time.

What they don't always realize is that it can be harder to quit than it is to start, anyway.....

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Either DO - or DO NOT. There is no 'try'" - Yoda

I see people throwing around this Yoda quote all the time. Which makes me want to state the logical corollary: If you're not 100% confident you can accomplish something, don't even attempt it. Stupid Yoda.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Either DO - or DO NOT. There is no 'try'" - Yoda

I see people throwing around this Yoda quote all the time. Which makes me want to state the logical corollary: If you're not 100% confident you can accomplish something, don't even attempt it. Stupid Yoda.
@Lambano I think you said you guys are a non-smoking household, if I'm not mistaken...?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano I think you said you guys are a non-smoking household, if I'm not mistaken...?
We are now, though my older stepson (the Navy one) does smoke. When he visits, he'll do his smoking on the front porch. I breathed in plenty of second-hand smoke growing up in a household in which both parents smoked.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We are now, though my older stepson (the Navy one) does smoke. When he visits, he'll do his smoking on the front porch. I breathed in plenty of second-hand smoke growing up in a household in which both parents smoked.
Sounds like you are fairly smoke-free now. So your mom smoked also?

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dhh712 FYI....

So did you manage to quit? or maybe you never started...

(I don't believe in ppl guilt manipulating each other...)

I smoke very rarely. It's because of constipation actually : / But a pack will usually last me at least 3 or 4 months (I think the last one I threw away lasted 6 months). Strangely, I do not experience an addiction to nicotine. I'm actually quite a fairly disciplined person and don't have an addictive personality so I'm not sure if that is an extension of that (though the nicotine would be something physical and the personality though rooted in physiology is quite different in my understanding).

I started smoking in high school (thinking it was "cool" you know). I was doing maybe like a half pack a day or so then I realized--I'm not sure what I'm doing because I don't even feel a desire to smoke. I came to the realization that it was pretty pointless so I stopped.

My mom (who was a smoker, as well as my dad, both quit and had relapses but now have been non-smoking for I think nearly 20 years or thereabout) said my Aunt--by marriage so not related--was the same way as me. She would have like a cigarette socially but did not smoke regularly, so she didn't get addicted either. So it's that way for some people but for most nicotine is extremely addictive.

My poor husband couldn't quit--we even tried Chantix! Works like the miracle drug for quitting for a lot of people--and it STILL didn't work. I chalked it up to my husband being so darn stubborn! He had a massive stroke which killed him and the doctors still do not know why. He had health numbers like blood pressure, heart rate and cholesterol of a healthy, much younger person but he smoked. They figured that was it : ( But he is resting in bliss with the Lord Jesus and when my work is finished here on this earth that is will I will be also--and in not too long a time either because our life here on earth is so brief!

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your mom smoked also?
She did, and it killed her. Slowly. Emphysema. She spent the last 5 years of her life tethered to an oxygenator or hauling around O2 bottles. So for all these folks here who are trying to quit, I want to encourage them!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I smoke very rarely. It's because of constipation actually : / But a pack will usually last me at least 3 or 4 months (I think the last one I through away lasted 6 months). Strangely, I do not experience an addiction to nicotine. I'm actually quite a fairly disciplined person and don't have an addictive personality so I'm not sure if that is an extension of that (though the nicotine would be something physical and the personality though rooted in physiology is quite different in my understanding).

I started smoking in high school (thinking it was "cool" you know). I was doing maybe like a half pack a day or so then I realized--I'm not sure what I'm doing because I don't even feel a desire to smoke. I came to the realization that it was pretty pointless so I stopped.

My mom (who was a smoker, as well as my dad, both quit and had relapses but now have been non-smoking for I think nearly 20 years or thereabout) said my Aunt--by marriage so not related--was the same way as me. She would have like a cigarette socially but did not smoke regularly, so she didn't get addicted either. So it's that way for some people but for most nicotine is extremely addictive.

My poor husband couldn't quit--we even tried Chantix! Works like the miracle drug for quitting for a lot of people--and it STILL didn't work. I chalked it up to my husband being so darn stubborn! He had a massive stroke which killed him and the doctors still do not know why. He had health numbers like blood pressure, heart rate and cholesterol of a healthy, much younger person but he smoked. They figured that was it : ( But he is resting in bliss with the Lord Jesus and when my work is finished here on this earth that is will I will be also--and in not too long a time either because our life here on earth is so brief!
@dhh712 I did click 'like' but my first sentiment is, so sorry for your loss. It must be comforting that he is home with the Lord. (Is he the gentleman with you in the photo?)

If you are comfortable with being an occasional smoker, then no one should try to make you guilty.

Sounds like you are like your aunt, comfortable as an occasional social smoker; a strong lady in control of your smoking and not addicted.

Reactions: dhh712

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She did, and it killed her. Slowly. Emphysema. She spent the last 5 years of her life tethered to an oxygenator or hauling around O2 bottles. So for all these folks here who are trying to quit, I want to encourage them!
@Lambano So sorry about this. Sounds like she had been a fairly heavy smoker, rather than an occasional social smoker.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@dhh712 Seems like, similarly to yourself, your aunt did not have a craving for nicotine, even though she like you are was fairly comfortable with occasional social smoking.

Reactions: dhh712

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dhh712 I did click 'like' but my first sentiment is, so sorry for your loss. It must be comforting that he is home with the Lord. (Is he the gentleman with you in the photo?)

If you are comfortable with being an occasional smoker, then no one should try to make you guilty.

Sounds like you are like your aunt, comfortable as an occasional social smoker; a strong lady in control of your smoking and not addicted.

Thank you. Yes, it is such a comfort to know he knows lasting peace and joy with Jesus and is no more buffeted by the trials of this world. Yes, that is him in the picture, when we first met before we were married.