U/S Guided IV Insertion in the Emergency Department

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am always looking to glorify Christ in my earthly job...job being a health care provider.

My goal is compassion and to decrease human suffering. Was that christ's goal? I don't think so. Jesus wants to bring children to know and love him, not neccessarily shield them from suffering. A perplexing thought!

In the emergency department I take great care to use a skill that alows me to insert a needle into a patient's arm with precise accuracy and almost a painless procedure using a machine called an Ultrasound Device. The same one that is used to see your child before he/she is born. It allows me to see veins and nerves.....of course I can dodge the nerves and make your emergency department visit an almost pain free experience :) It's a skill that requires great eye hand coordination and only 5 out of the 100 or so health care providers in my ED have perfected it. I guess i'm good at it from all the Nintindo and Atari games I played as a kid. Guess I told my age there..lol. My reward...."Thank You So Muchhhhhh." I hear so many times from my patients. Almost makes me tear up. I love tending to the suffering of human beings.

I may think my job is a christ like job, but as far as reducing human suffering, I don't think so. I believe being human and suffering go hand in hand. There is a spiritual awakening that leads me to believe Jesus did not come to us to alleivate suffering but to show us through suffering we may know him more and love him. Did he not suffer himself? Yes he did on the cross.

I guess the debate questions are:

1. Does being a Christian shield you from suffering?
2. Are Christians meant to suffer?
3. Can you be so faithful that you will never suffer? (check out the book of Job)
4. Physical suffering is way overrated...just deal with it?
5. Everyone will physically suffer at some point as a human? (unless you get T-Boned by an 18 wheeler running a red light....instant death)
6. Being in the spirit is BLISS/PAIN FREE?
7. Focusing on Jesus is a powerful nerve block?
8. Cancer can be pain free and guilt free with your focus on Jesus? (I have seen this 1st hand...AMAZING)
9. your debate question here....................................
10. God and his spiritual world apart from being human is something to ponder daily!!! ;)

IHSscj

Nov 2, 2012
IMHO, one of the things that we have lost sight of in western culture, especially in the U.S., is the appreciation of pain as a holistic body function. Ex: If I go walking and get a stone in my shoe, I feel the pain and remove it. On the other hand, if I am bitten by a snake, spider, etc., I feel the pain and get it treated. If I did not have that sensitivity, I would be in constant danger of serious injury.
In the west we have gotten so used to our painkillers, anesthetics, and comforts of all sorts, that we have forgotteen to be thankful for pain. Of course, pain is generally the sign of a deeper problem, such as a serious disease. But when it comes to the daily aches and pains, we slip into a "complaint mode," as if the whole world cannot be right or joyful if we are in pain.

It is my general impression that a professional in a position such as yours has a deeper potential service: helping people deal with unusual situations that put them in pain or distress. Of course, I say this knowing nothing about your broader job description, career, lay ministry, etc. :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
John 111 ..... I am one of those people who appreciates health care providers like you.

I have witnessed nurses who do a skillful stress free insertion ...... and then the next nurse stabs and jabs and mutters under her breath ,,,, drops the needle .... picks it up and tries again ...... when she was done i told her she should quit nursing and get a job paving highways for a living.

I truly think she tried hard ..... but was one of those people who did not have the manual dexterity to do precise and careful tasks.

By the way .... I just started reading a book called "Angels in the ER" by a christian doctor ..... only read a few pages so far but it sounds interesting.

So far the "angels" have been "exceptional humans" in the medical profession ..... but maybe there will be some angelic ones in some of the stories too.

Thanks again for your good work

Arnie