Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus faced that also.

Truth is always going to face constant opposition, when people's opinions are their God.

Truth is always going to be reviled by Heretics like John Calvin whose Theology is one of the Devil's finest works.
Yes indeed Jesus faced that as do we.

I believe in some of Calvin points most definitely, I think there are 5 points..not sure what they all are I must look them up, I don’t believe God makes humans evil...they would be puppets if he did that.

I also believe that he allowed everything in my life as a non believer plus Born Again..maybe predestined was the wrong word I used earlier.

The reason he let everything to happen to me, was to draw me to Jesus, through suffering etc,etc, no pain no gain...also to Glorify Gods Name!..

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter, nor those in the upper room were baptized in water during Pentecost...., yet HE spoke about water Baptism.
Jesus was baptized in water; Jesus , or his disciples, baptized in water. Do you really think that Peter was not baptized in water. All of that may have been only the baptism of John, but later Paul demonstrated that those who only were baptized with the baptism of John needed to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. That also was in water.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This teaching that Acts 2:38 "is the Gospel" is very much believed by Catholics, and many on this Forum, and many on every forum.

Many Denominations teach "Acts 2:38" as "The Gospel".

Its not.

Many who believe in "baptismal regeneration" use ACTS 2:38 as their "go to" verse.
There is nothing about Acts 2:38 that is not a part of the gospel or that runs counter to the gospel. If you think there is, then I suggest that you do not really know what the gospel is.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus was baptized in water; Jesus , or his disciples, baptized in water. Do you really think that Peter was not baptized in water.

Ive not stated that Peter was never water baptized.

What my Thread reveals, is that neither Peter, nor those in the Upper Room, in Acts 2, on the Day of Pentecost, were water baptized.

So, you find Peter and those in the Upper Room, given the #9 Spiritual Gift on Paul's List of Spiritual Gifts, and yet none of them were water baptized.

Also, my Thread is pointing out that Peter the Jew, who was talking to Jews, on THEIR Day of Pentecost, told them.

"You have slain your Messiah"....."repent and be water baptized"., and that is what John the Baptist told the Jews.

And Paul The Apostle, who came later, does not preach that message.... as that is not the "Gospel".

Here is the Gospel...>"The Preaching of.. THE CROSS.. is the POWER OF GOD... unto SALVATION for/to everyone who BELIEVES">

Paul's Gospel is the "Gospel of the GRACE of God"...... not water baptism + repent.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
There is nothing about Acts 2:38 that is not a part of the gospel

Paul told us that the Gospel that He preaches, .. PAUL calls this "MY Gospel", and He said that Jesus revealed it to Him.

That happened YEARS after Acts 2.

In Acts 15, Peter met Paul, and Paul delivered the "GOSPEL" to all the Apostles., and its the TRUE Gospel, and its not ' repent and get wet."

See, "repent and get wet", is John the Baptist.......

Paul said..>"Christ sent me NOT to water baptize".

Why did say this?

He is explaining that Water is not related to Redemption.. Water is not involved in SALVATION.

Salvation is to be born again.......and that is by "my Spirit sayeth THE Lord"..

Water baptism is NOT THAT at all.

The reason you get water baptized is because you have been born again, already.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive not stated that Peter was never water baptized.

What my Thread reveals, is that neither Peter, nor those in the Upper Room, in Acts 2, on the Day of Pentecost, were water baptized.
You do not know that. The Bible does not say one way or the other about whether any of those in the upper room on Pentecost were water baptized.
So, you find Peter and those in the Upper Room, given the #9 Spiritual Gift on Paul's List of Spiritual Gifts, and yet none of them were water baptized.
Paul's list of spiritual gifts has nothing whatsoever to do with being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins and to receive the gift (indwelling) Holy Spirit. Those gifts are not about the gospel one way or the other.
Also, my Thread is pointing out that Peter the Jew, who was talking to Jews, on THEIR Day of Pentecost, told them.

"You have slain your Messiah"....."repent and be water baptized"., and that is what John the Baptist told the Jews.

And Paul who came later, does not preach that message as that is not the "Gospel".

Here is the Gospel...>"The Preaching of.. THE CROSS.. is the POWER OF GOD... unto SALVATION for/to everyone who BELIEVES">

Paul's Gospel is the "Gospel of the GRACE of God"...... not water baptism + repent.
And you think the "Gospel of the Grace of God" is somehow not consistent with water baptism? How wrong you are.

Reactions: Spyder

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is a "unique case".

His Ministry, is unlike the situation where you had Jesus the JEW, come only to the JEWS, (House of Israel).
And those original 12 Apostles were the same MINISTRY.

In Paul's situation, regarding His Call to be an Apostle..... The Cross was raised and now Salvation is given to : John 3:16... the World, everyone......All who will come.... ALL who will BELIEVE IN JESUS by Faith.

Also, Jesus chose Paul to be "the apostle to the GENTILES" in a season, that precedes God's resuming His dealing with the JEW.
That is the TRIB.. when God will again be dealing with the JEW,.. and that TRIB starts after the "time of the GENTILES" has ended.

So, in this "Time of the Gentiles" that is really "the Church" being Birthed.......>You only have PAUL as the One Apostle that Jesus chose to deliver the "GOSPEL"< that Paul's refers to as "MY Gospel" 3x.
Paul is your "body of Christ" teacher. Its Paul's Doctrine that is Church Doctrine.
Paul is a man, a special man called by God, but I must leave you to some of your conclusions.
Paul is the only Apostle who told us to.. "Follow ME, (in behavior, in Faith, in Doctrine), as I follow Christ".
Indeed... "as I follow Christ" [I Cor 11:1]
And until a CHRISTIan, understands all this, regarding Paul, they'll be following something else..

Like : CALVINISM

Like "The cult of the Virgin" = Catholic

Like "Mormonism

Like "JW".

And many other Cults that pretend to be "the truth".
Being led by the Spirit, we will be following Christ as well as those sent to help us:

Eph 4:11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Eph 4:14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
Ro 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
When we are so led and do so follow, we avoid and correct errors so as to become and remain part of the Body of Christ.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Paul is a man, a special man called by God, but I must leave you to some of your conclusions.

Jesus said "Paul is a chosen vessel unto ME".. .He is the "Apostle to the Gentiles".

When you want to know "church Doctrine", you Go to Paul's epistles.

Indeed... "as I follow Christ" [I Cor 11:1]

Being led by the Spirit, we will be following Christ as well as those sent to help us:

Paul is our NTTeacher, He's not our Savior.
He is the greatest Christian who ever lived, and he is the revealer of "doctrine for the body of Christ".... but He didnt hang on the Cross for our sin.

we avoid and correct errors so as to become and remain part of the Body of Christ.

Here is how you keep yourself from a Cult.

Just do what Hebrews 13:9 tells you to do with your HEART, or, what this verse says will happen, will happen to you.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Short commentary.

St. Paul is often considered to be the most important person AFTER JESUS in the history of Christianity. His epistles (letters) have had enormous influence on Christian theology, especially on the relationship between God the Father and Jesus, and on the mystical human relationship with the divine.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter, nor those in the upper room were baptized in water during Pentecost...., yet HE spoke about water Baptism.

So, that is not a "confused Holy Spirit"....that is a Jew Apostle who is ultimately familiar with John The Baptist and the LAW, preaching the extent of his understanding, at THAT Time.

My Thread is concerning the fact that Peter didn't yet completely understand God's "Gospel of Salvation./.(GRACE)""", in Acts 2, but would later come to understand it... starting in Acts 10, and then fully understand it, in Acts 15, after He met Paul.

So, we see that when an Apostle does not know something, then that explains why they can't teach it or preach it.
cc: @Ritajanice
Peter understood Grace. Grace is divine power. He understood it at Pentecost when he received the power. Acts 1:8. And he prayed that the 120 would receive it also in Acts 4:29-31. I'm not sure what you think Paul taught him that the Holy Spirit hadn't. I like this verse from Paul - Romans 1:16-17 "16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

As for your first sentence, of course the apostles and the 120 weren't baptized in water during Pentecost. We aren't required to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus twice. They were already baptized in water. Pentecost was for power of His Spirit.

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul told us that the Gospel that He preaches, .. PAUL calls this "MY Gospel", and He said that Jesus revealed it to Him.
He also told us that "In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses" (Col 2:11-13).

And all of that is wholly consistent with what Peter said in his sermon on Pentecost
Paul said..>"Christ sent me NOT to water baptize".

Why did say this?
Because he didn't want people to claim being anything special because they were baptized by him which was happening in Corinth (see 1 Cor 1:10-13). There is nothing there that says anything about not being baptized in water.
He is explaining that Water is not related to Redemption.. Water is not involved in SALVATION.

Salvation is to be born again.......and that is by "my Spirit sayeth THE Lord"..

Water baptism is NOT THAT at all.

The reason you get water baptized is because you have been born again, already.
The reason you get water baptized is to receive forgiveness and the gift (indwelling) Holy Spirit.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
6 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes
Everyone who believes must be Born Of The Spirit...

Human belief is no belief at all....only the Living word of God can bring us to believing in the spirit.thats why Spirit needs to give birth to spirit.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone who believes must be Born Of The Spirit...

Human belief is no belief at all....only the Living word of God can bring us to believing in the spirit.
Born again of the Spirit is regeneration. Regeneration is for those who believe.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You do not know that. The Bible does not say one way or the other about whether any of those in the upper room on Pentecost were water baptized.

Why would it not say they were water baptized.... when you read that Peter is telling all the Jews to get water baptized?

Did God forget to put that in?

They weren't water baptized.

Also, when Jesus Gave Peter the Holy Spirit, in John 20:22, ......again He was not water baptized.

Did God forget again to put that in the NT?

Paul's list of spiritual gifts has nothing whatsoever to do with being baptized

Paul's list of "spiritual gifts"... #9 "Tongues"..

= Acts 2...." 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with different = TONGUES ,<<<<<<<<

Why did this happen in front of all the JEWS????

"tongues are for a sign", and "signs are for the JEWS".

1 Corinthians 1:22 and 14:22

And you think the "Gospel of the Grace of God" is somehow not consistent with water baptism? How wrong you are.

Sin is in the heart.
Water only gets your body wet.

its the blood of Jesus that cleanses your sin ... forgives it.....and Redeems you.
Why?

"without the shedding of BLOOD, there is no forgiveness"

= That is not related to water.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus said "Paul is a chosen vessel unto ME".. .He is the "Apostle to the Gentiles".

When you want to know "church Doctrine", you Go to Paul's epistles.

Paul is our NTTeacher, He's not our Savior.
He is the greatest Christian who ever lived, and he is the revealer of "doctrine for the body of Christ".... but He didnt hang on the Cross for our sin.
Was he the greatest Christian who ever lived? What did he write about making such comparisons?

2co 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
Here is how you keep yourself from a Cult.

Just do what Hebrews 13:9 tells you to do with your HEART, or, what this verse says will happen, will happen to you.

Heb 13:9Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.
How can a man do that? Alone he cannot... but Jesus tells us who can:
Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
Is this not why the Holy Ghost has been sent as a Helper?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
cc: @Ritajanice
Peter understood Grace.

10 Yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven..... A Decade later..

You have Acts 10... and in Acts 10, Peter is shown by GOD a vision, so that Peter can finally understand that GENTILES can be saved and not just JEWS.

So, Peter had no understanding of GOD's GRACE, in Acts 2, when He had no understanding that Gentiles could be saved.

Do you understand @1stCenturyLady ??????????

In Acts 15, Peter met Paul, and Paul taught Him "the Gospel of the Grace of GOD".

In 2nd Peter, when Peter was OLD...>He said that Paul's Letters are equal to the TORAH.. Paul's letters are "SCRIPTURE".

And Peter was correct, as Paul wrote most of the NT Epistles, and the Doctrine for the Church".

(see any NT for the update on that reality).

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Was he the greatest Christian who ever lived? What did he write about making such comparisons?

2co 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Heb 13:9Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.
How can a man do that? Alone he cannot... but Jesus tells us who can:
Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
Is this not why the Holy Ghost has been sent as a Helper?
None greater than the Name of Jesus...Brother...Praise His Holy Name!!

Reactions: amadeus