Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But thats not what it is.. That would be called th anointing of the spirit.

Thats not what it is. The baptism OF the spirit is God the Spirit baptizing you into Christ, Into his Death, His burial, His body
We are Born Of The Spirit...we are in Christ when we have been Born Of The Spirit
Thats what your replacing, Your saying this is done by some man in water..

That is not what it is
How do you know?

They could become Born Of The Spirit just as they come out of the water.

So you teach an un- truth , I’ve done the same....let’s not underestimate the Living Power Of The Living Holy Spirit.

So yes, a vicar could also Baptise them in water for repentance.

Then the Holy Spirit who is everywhere, remember that, he doesn’t just show up, The Living Spirit is everywhere....then as the vicar baptises them in water, the Holy Spirit could quite possibly make their spirit Born Again...

Matthew 3:11
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

New Living Translation
“I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

English Standard Version
“I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Berean Standard Bible
I baptize you with water for repentance, but after me will come One more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Berean Literal Bible
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but after me is coming He who is mightier than I, of whom I am not worthy to carry the sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire,

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
i believe Peter was baptized with his brother Andrew by John the Baptist. Apparently, Peter went back fishing and Andrew continued with John the Baptist, baptizing the Israelites. Until John made introduction in regards Jesus, both of his disciples started to follow him. And one of them was Andrew, who ran back to get Peter and proclaim the Messiah have been found

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God has Sovereign control of all aspects of our Salvation. Water cannot save you. Priests, Pastors, and Preachers have no control of your Salvation. Only God can do this. Jesus is the author and finisher of our Faith. (Heb. 12:2)
I agree, but, whose to say when a vicar Baptise them in water, ..whose to say the Holy Spirit hasn’t also made them Born Again?

Just trying to understand.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has Sovereign control of all aspects of our Salvation. Water cannot save you. Priests, Pastors, and Preachers have no control of your Salvation. Only God can do this. Jesus is the author and finisher of our Faith. (Heb. 12:2)
The working of salvation is a double cure to the sin sick person that occurs in baptism. It includes two distinct acts. One is justification or forgiveness, in which the guilt and punishment for sin are canceled. The other is regeneration or new birth, in which the sinfulness that has invaded the soul begins to be healed. The point of this is that GOD ALONE is the cause of both of these saving acts. Only God can bestow forgiveness (by the power of the blood of Christ) and heal our sinful nature (by the power of the Holy Spirit). See Colossians 2: 12, “Having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” Note the emphasis on “the working of God.” God is working in baptism to raise us from spiritual death, just as surely as He raised Jesus.

This double cure also includes being born again, or regeneration. This is the beginning of the healing of our sin-weakened nature, accomplished by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is where the sinner experiences a resurrection from spiritual death to spiritual life. This point cannot be stressed strongly enough: Christian baptism is the time or occasion when the double cure is received. This is specifically stated in Colossians 2: 12, which declares that you were “buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him.” It is also affirmed in Acts 2: 38, which says that the two results of baptism are forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit.

God is the means for the double cure of justification and regeneration, baptism is the occasion for the double cure.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, but, whose to say when a vicar Baptise them in water, ..whose to say the Holy Spirit hasn’t also made them Born Again?

Just trying to understand.
It's not the Vicar or the water. It is the sinners heart, who has somehow asked Jesus into their heart. The vast majority of Baptisms I've attended, the people were previously saved. To anticipate salvation from water is a false hope. There is nothing in the water. Then again, But with God, all things are possible. (Matt. 19:26)

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The working of salvation is a double cure to the sin sick person that occurs in baptism. It includes two distinct acts. One is justification or forgiveness, in which the guilt and punishment for sin are canceled. The other is regeneration or new birth, in which the sinfulness that has invaded the soul begins to be healed. The point of this is that GOD ALONE is the cause of both of these saving acts. Only God can bestow forgiveness (by the power of the blood of Christ) and heal our sinful nature (by the power of the Holy Spirit). See Colossians 2: 12, “Having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” Note the emphasis on “the working of God.” God is working in baptism to raise us from spiritual death, just as surely as He raised Jesus.

This double cure also includes being born again, or regeneration. This is the beginning of the healing of our sin-weakened nature, accomplished by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is where the sinner experiences a resurrection from spiritual death to spiritual life. This point cannot be stressed strongly enough: Christian baptism is the time or occasion when the double cure is received. This is specifically stated in Colossians 2: 12, which declares that you were “buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him.” It is also affirmed in Acts 2: 38, which says that the two results of baptism are forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit.

God is the means for the double cure of justification and regeneration, baptism is the occasion for the double cure.
There are millions who died in wars, that gave their life to Jesus and couldn't be baptized. The same with all tragedies, shipwrecks, building fires. Baptism is an ordinance, nothing else.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are millions who died in wars, that gave their life to Jesus and couldn't be baptized. The same with all tragedies, shipwrecks, building fires. Baptism is an ordinance, nothing else.
Trust God to make that decision. Do not try to tell God if and when He saves. That applies not just to those who couldn't be baptized, but also to those who honestly accepted the false teaching that baptism has no connection with being saved.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trust God to make that decision. Do not try to tell God if and when He saves. That applies not just to those who couldn't be baptized, but also to those who honestly accepted the false teaching that baptism has no connection with being saved.
God has Sovereign control, How could anyone contradict God's will? You make untrue assumptions.

• Love
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's not the Vicar or the water.
I know that
It is the sinners heart, who has somehow asked Jesus into their heart. The vast majority of Baptisms I've attended, the people were previously saved. To anticipate salvation from water is a false hope. There is nothing in the water. Then again, But with God, all things are possible. (Matt. 19:26)
Thank you.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They can be water baptised and Born Of The Spirit at the same time.

That is my opinion and belief.

Don’t limit God, he does being Born Of The Spirit, via His Spirit...my mind/ heart was once closed in that area, ...it’s been opened.

He can make someone Born Again however he chooses, not how we choose.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They can be water baptised and Born Of The Spirit at the same time.

That is my opinion and belief.

Don’t limit God, he does being Born Of The Spirit, via His Spirit...my mind/ heart was once closed in that area, ...it’s been opened.

He can make someone Born Again however he chooses, not how we choose.
No limits, hence Matt. 19:26.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Bible verses don’t make you Born Of The Living Holy Spirit though do they?

What do you think water does?....

Short commentary.

We believe we must be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (through an ordinance called confirmation) to be saved in the kingdom of heaven. The Savior taught, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5).

Born Of Water = human birth.

Born Of The Spirit = The Living Spiritual rebirth....how would our spirit know that we have been Born Of The Spirit..?...just by reading a verse of scripture.....certainly not...
And, once again, what do you do with the verses of scripture that was pointed out? I appears that you are simply ignoring them.

None of those verses spoke of being baptizing people in the birth fluid of pregnant women.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And, once again, what do you do with the verses of scripture that was pointed out? I appears that you are simply ignoring them.

None of those verses spoke of being baptizing people in the birth fluid of pregnant women.
I’m not ignoring scripture, I’m asking you, how can water make your spirit Born Again?

What is the significance of the water.?

Do you think that the water makes you repent?

Tell me what the water does, then I might understand?

What is Gods meaning of water?

Why is water needed?

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not ignoring scripture, I’m asking you, how can water make your spirit Born Again?

What is the significance of the water.?

Do you think that the water makes you repent?

Tell me what the water does, then I might understand?

What is Gods meaning of water?

Why is water needed
You are asking why God would place any requirements upon those He will save.,

Why did God put the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the Garden and then tell Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit of that tree?

In the OT, what was the significance of killing animals? Why would God require that?

What did the killing do? What did the blood do?

Why was that necessary?

Why would God require that be done?

Why would you assume that now, under the New Covenant, there are no requirements that we do something?