Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the "popular" doctrine in evangelical circles says that water has nothing to do with baptism or being saved - despite bible verses saying differently.
There are several major departures from biblical soteriology. Three really big ones are Roman Catholicism, Calvinism, And Zwingliism. The question is does the adherence to such false soteriology, in itself, prevent the adherent from being saved. Personally, I do not think so. Or maybe the better response is that I certainly hope not. I have both friends and family that I dearly love who are among the adherents of those departures.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you say you believe in God and then not only fail to do what He says, but actually reject what He says. Can anyone be saved without first repenting of his sins or confessing that Jesus is both Lord and savior? To just point out a few cases of what God said.

He said in Mark 16:16, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..."

He said in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

I would comment here that the only command here is the verb "make". Baptizing and teaching are participles modifying make. In other words, baptizing and teaching are not commands on what to do to disciples; rather, baptizing and teaching are the descriptions on how to make disciples.

He said in Acts 2:38, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. "

Mistranslating/misinterpreting the Greek word "eis" to mean "because" is unacceptable.

He said in Acts 8:36, And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?"

He said in Acts 22:16. " And now why do you wait? 'Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.' "

There is not a single case in the entire NT where baptism is mentioned that water is specifically eliminated as the medium for the baptism. That is true even in the case of baptism in/with/by the Holy Spirit.

It is interesting to note that it is only in Acts in which, following the inauguration of the New Covenant at Pentecost, we read about the actual saving of individuals. There are about 13 instances where such salvic events are presented. In those instances, there are several things specifically mentioned in conjunction with and as precursors to those events. They are variously listed as "they heard the word", "they believed", "they repented their sins". "they accepted (confessed) Christ", and "they were baptized". In these various events, not all were mentioned. In some only one was mentioned, in others sometimes two or three were mentioned. That they were baptized is mentioned in conjunction with and as precursors to being saved more times than even that they believed. Of the

It would seem to that what the Bible says these various individuals did to be saved should not be ignored or rejected.

But of course, you are free to do as you like.

As an addendum, here are the 13 events listed in Acts where it says that one or more persons were saved; you can read for yourself.

The 3000 - Acts 2:37-41.
The Brothers - Acts 3:19.
At Jerusalem - Acts 4:4.
The Samaritans - Acts 8:12.
Simon - Acts 8:13
The Ethiopian - Acts 8:35-39.
Cornelius - Acts 10:47-48.
Lydia - Acts 16:13-15.
The Jailor - Acts 16:29-34.
All men - Acts 17:34
The Corinthians - Acts 18:8.
The Ephesians - Acts 19:1-7.
Saul of Tarsus - Acts 22:16.
I did what he said.

But more importantly. HE BAPTISED ME.

You go ahead and take your water baptism as payment for sin. You will not like the outcome

PS.. I did not remark on anything you said, because you did not remark on anything I said.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the "popular" doctrine in evangelical circles says that water has nothing to do with baptism or being saved - despite bible verses saying differently.
No.

There is no water in romans 6, 1 cor or gal 5. Or even col 2.

Water has nothin g to do with being saved, We get immersed in water because we were saved,

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

There is no water in romans 6, 1 cor or gal 5. Or even col 2.

Water has nothin g to do with being saved, We get immersed in water because we were saved,
OK, gotcha. What scripture says is not important. It is what you were taught to believe is "truth."

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take my water baptism as a payment for sin??? What are you talking about? Your lack of understanding of such things is definitely showing up with comments like that.
When you say one MUST be water baptised to be saved.

Thats what your saying,,

All we need to do to be saved is have the penalty of sin removed, That is salvation 101. If water baptism is required. Then we are in essence saying that is what we are offering God as payment for our sin so he will grant us eternity with him.

Its no different than the jews who said we had to have faith plus (circumcision) to be saved.

It is not me who lacks understanding my friend..

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh really!? And what did He say to do?
What did he say to do?

John 1. Recieve him
John 3, Believe in him
John 4 ask, and I recieved
Mark 16 Believe.

And when I did this, I was saved, and HE BAPTIZED ME,,

I then followed up my faith and got water baptized a year later.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, gotcha. What scripture says is not important. It is what you were taught to believe is "truth."
No

What scripture says is important
When scripture says I was BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST, and BAPTIZED INTO HIS DEATH, and BAPTIZED INTO HIS BODY, and BAPTIZED INTO HIM. It is important.

I better not add water to it, and make it essentially say something it never said.. When I do that, I do not think what scripture says is important.

What I was taught is inconsequential.. I am to test each spirit, to make sure what they say is truth, I have changed many views that I was taught, Because I stopped blindly following people I thought were my leaders. And became as the bereans and searched the scriptures.

Will you do this? Or keep mocking someone because they do nto believe as you do?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is a Zwignliist. And he complains about Calvinists. what a joke.
The joke is replacing the baptism of the spirit with the baptism of water. It is serious issue, No different really then the jew saying one must believe and be circumcised or your not going to be saved, Amazing how Satan deceived two groups of people with a ceremony which represents cleansing. And got them to buy into his lie hook line and sinker.

And here you are mocking people who disagree with you. Real christlike my friend.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say one MUST be water baptised to be saved.

Thats what your saying,,
Actually, I have never said that. What I have said is that God has promised the repentant believer that in baptism his sins will be forgiven and he will be given the gift of the Holy Spirit.

You are free to ignore that promise and hope for something else, but that doesn't seem to me to be very wise.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The joke is replacing the baptism of the spirit with the baptism of water. It is serious issue,
I certainly am not replacing the baptism of the Spirit with baptism of water. In fact I make the argument that baptism of the Holy Spirit is the giving of the gift of the Holy Spirit to the penitent believer. To be baptized (immersed) with the Holy Spirit is none other than having the Holy Spirit dwell within personally. That, together with the forgiveness of sins, is what God blesses each penitent believer in water baptism.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I have never said that. What I have said is that God has promised the repentant believer that in baptism his sins will be forgiven and he will be given the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Which is exactly what I said.

When your baptized in water, Thats payment for your sin..
You are free to ignore that promise and hope for something else, but that doesn't seem to me to be very wise.
My promise in hope is in God. Not in some pastor who immersed me in water.

I have not only Gods promise, But his assurance.

I do nto see that in you. And yu cannot offer me that

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly am not replacing the baptism of the Spirit with baptism of water. In fact I make the argument that baptism of the Holy Spirit is the giving of the gift of the Holy Spirit to the penitent believer.
But thats not what it is.. That would be called th anointing of the spirit.
To be baptized (immersed) with the Holy Spirit is none other than having the Holy Spirit dwell within personally. That, together with the forgiveness of sins, is what God blesses each penitent believer in water baptism.
Thats not what it is. The baptism OF the spirit is God the Spirit baptizing you into Christ, Into his Death, His burial, His body

Thats what your replacing, Your saying this is done by some man in water..

That is not what it is

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No

What scripture says is important
When scripture says I was BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST, and BAPTIZED INTO HIS DEATH, and BAPTIZED INTO HIS BODY, and BAPTIZED INTO HIM. It is important.

I better not add water to it, and make it essentially say something it never said.. When I do that, I do not think what scripture says is important.

What I was taught is inconsequential.. I am to test each spirit, to make sure what they say is truth, I have changed many views that I was taught, Because I stopped blindly following people I thought were my leaders. And became as the bereans and searched the scriptures.

Will you do this? Or keep mocking someone because they do nto believe as you do?
So, the fact that all baptisms recorded in the New Testament were done incorrectly. Jesus had his disciples use the river Jordan. Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch in water. Have you seen the baptismal sites in video of Israel? I wonder why they had them.
Perhaps, since the ritual cleansing of the priests involved water and the disciples used water, nobody bothered to mention water as it was just a given. Of course, the writers had no idea that we would today claim that their not mentioning water means that there was no water involved.

50 years ago, nobody tried to make the claim that you are making. I wonder what happened?

The question is not one of what you believe, it is one of how you perform Hermaneutics. Simply put, since scripture does not contradict, and you apparently think it does; it is up to you to show has those passages I listed previously now have no effect. If they are not valid today, please show me the scripture that rendered them incorrect.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, Bible verses don’t make you Born Of The Living Holy Spirit though do they?

What do you think water does?....

Short commentary.

We believe we must be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (through an ordinance called confirmation) to be saved in the kingdom of heaven. The Savior taught, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5).

Born Of Water = human birth.

Born Of The Spirit = The Living Spiritual rebirth....how would our spirit know that we have been Born Of The Spirit..?...just by reading a verse of scripture.....certainly not...

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, Bible verses don’t make you Born Of The Living Holy Spirit though do they?

What do you think water does?....
The water does not do anything. But God says, through the apostle Peter at Pentecost, that He will forgive the sins of the penitent believer and give the gift (indwelling) of the Holy Spirit to him in baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.
Short commentary.

We believe we must be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (through an ordinance called confirmation) to be saved in the kingdom of heaven. The Savior taught, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5).

Born Of Water = human birth.

Born Of The Spirit = The Living Spiritual rebirth....how would our spirit know that we have been Born Of The Spirit..?...just by reading a verse of scripture.....certainly not...
In John 3:3, Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." Then in John3:5 Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Do you think the born again in verse 3 and born in water and Spirit are the same thing?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Who can say, that those who are baptised in water , when they come out of the water, the Holy Spirit could quite possibly make them Born Again.....

So yes, they could become Born Of The Spirit, as they come out from being submerged in water...that is my opinion and belief.

Just because we were Born Again the way we were....we certainly know that not everyone is Born Again the same way.

Plus we should not limit God to our own understanding...just my thoughts....

Matthew 3:11
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

New Living Translation
“I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

English Standard Version
“I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Berean Standard Bible
I baptize you with water for repentance, but after me will come One more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Berean Literal Bible
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but after me is coming He who is mightier than I, of whom I am not worthy to carry the sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire,