• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hinds’ Feet on High Places is an allegorical novel by Hannah Hurnard that illustrates the Christian journey from immature believer to mature believer. It was published in 1955 and follows the story of a girl named Much Afraid through her journey to the peak of the mountain.

Much Afraid is an orphan with deformities in her face and feet. She speaks slowly and has trouble walking. She lives in the Valley of Humiliation with her adoptive Family of Fearings. She becomes a shepherdess for the Chief Shepherd whom they despise. They try to remove her from his service by insisting she marry a member of their family, Craven Fear. She cries to the Chief Shepherd that she wishes to journey to the High Places.

He introduces her to Sorrow and Suffering who will travel with her. She is frightened, but she is dedicated to the shepherd, so she sets off. She knows that he will not be with her the whole time, but she chooses to go anyway. She follows a path he gave her, going through the forest of Danger and Tribulation, the Furnace of Egypt, the Valley of Loss, and the Precipice of Injury. She even makes it through the Grave on the Mountains.

As she goes on her journey, people from her adoptive family follow her and taunt her, hoping to sabotage her mission. Resentment, Bitterness, Craven Fear, Pride, and Self Pity attempt to drag down her journey and make her turn back to the Valley of Humiliation. She calls upon the Shepherd to help her fight these battles, but he does not help, or so she believes. She is able to use Sorrow and Suffering to defeat them.

She has been purified by all her trials and is able to reach the High Places. She finds that she is no longer in need of human love. At the Place of Anointing, she realizes that her heart has grown bigger and filled with something better than human love. She receives a new name, Grace and Glory, and she realizes how she has transformed through her dedication to the journey. She reflects on what brought her here and the changes that have taken place.

Sorrow and Suffering are transformed as well. They become Joy and Peace. The Shepherd brings her to the cliff to look out over the Valley of Humiliation, and Grace and Glory realizes that what she thought was malice in her family is suffering. After careful consideration with the King, she and the Shepherd decide to return to the Valley of Humiliation to bring her good news back to them to free them as well.

The story is an allegory for the journey of a Christian to Christ. Throughout the story, Much Afraid must go through trials to connect with her higher self. Although the tests seem extreme, and she wonders why the Shepherd is not helping her, he is allowing her to find peace in her suffering and continuation of the journey. She could listen to the negative emotions shouting at her and turn back to live in spiritual distress, but she continues going. Her pain purifies her, and when she reaches the top, she is able to look compassionately through the eyes of Christ at the suffering of her fellow man.

Every name in the book is the embodiment of some part of the human condition, both good and bad. Everything that Much Afraid experiences is directly related to what our spirits go through as we grow up and learn to connect to our higher selves. She is transformed by her experiences and able to overcome some of the more base human emotions. This transformation changes her outlook on the rest of the world and where she got her start.

It is also a novel about healing. The author experienced much sorrow during the first part of her life as she dealt with seizures and stuttering. She was afraid to go into public places or do much with her life until her conversion at the age of 19. Her protagonist is deformed physically and finds it difficult to speak. She is not sure if she will be able to complete the journey, but as she gets further and further, she finds the strength to go on.

This journey heals her perceptions of herself and her abilities. Once she reaches the High Places, her constant companions, Sorrow and Suffering, transform into Joy and Peace denoting that healing has taken place. She has trusted the Shepherd completely and followed his path. In the end, she becomes a complete person and no longer needs human love and acceptance.

The allegory is much-beloved by many Christians and offers a beautiful look into how we can come out on the other side of our suffering healed and as more compassionate people. Much Afraid becomes something altogether beautiful through her painful life experiences and is able to return to help transform others.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
those are beautifully told allegories..
Parables. Much Afraid was a shy, powerless, fearful girl who chose to follow the Shepherd. And He turned her into His Hero, His Champion. Read the story folks....it will inspire and bless you...I'd bet on it. :)

Last edited:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First time I was brave enough to look at this thread was about December of last year when lilygrace came on. I got anxious and started to think I was her... I pm'd an apology, but was so scared about it/embarrassed, I haven't looked here since then. I don't NOW. But think maybe understand a bit more as to why I thought that way. I've always ran away/deleted pain and darkness. Think I've made a bit of a breakthrough yesterday with this, but I think maybe mourning has replaced anxiety. Not that I am not scared. LOL. I've been typing and deleting, not sure if I should say anything in this thread. The stories are weird, but the only type of abuse I remember, the stories were much worse in my head, was sexual abuse by my dad.
Sweet Beloved Mayflower...
Pain in all forms causes different reactions in people... Some people seem to be able to face it head on... ( I think these are people who have been well nurtured by their parents). Some do as you have stated... avoid it... run from it... delete it from memory... But the problem with that... is.... deep pain leaves scars on the soul.... trauma that is NOT dealt with will always come back to bite you... LOL...
Believe me... I have been a runner... OH how my running shoes could tell you stories... and not only have I run from pain... I have actually lost memory of most of my life events.... I do not remember my childhood... I do not remember raising my daughter... I have no memories... I guess that can be a blessing of sorts... but the scars of avoidance... left me without the ability to FORM proper relationships... Had I been dealt with properly as a child.. and allowed to grieve and go to counselling... I believe I would have grown up a different woman...
However... just as has been discussed here this morning... GOD in ALL situations... in good and maybe even ESPECIALLY in bad/painful/traumatic... ALWAYS..... ALWAYS brings forth HEALING and RESTORATION... and by that I do not mean with regards to relationships... but rather the intimate healing of our broken selves...
You mentioned that we have not spoken much... and I have not followed this thread... I added my two cents worth this morning without really knowing what was going on....
I have observed your growth... I have seen a sweet perfume flow from you... it is in your humility.... Remember... God will not break/step on/crush a bruised reed. Blessings to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny, I hadn't thought of "Hind's Feet on High Places" until you mentioned it, Addy. But it's a perfect example of what David's life testimony is trying to teach us. Get the book guys if you have not read it. Use the library if you can't afford to buy it for yourself. You won't regret it.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thought about getting it, but I tend to never get through any book these days except Christian mother goose rhymes. :rolleyes:
It's a great book that I probably could benefit from reading again. And there's a children's version of it that is great for littles (child alters). I have a copy of it. It's great for inside and outside children. lol :)

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mayflower, get a copy and just give it a shot :) I think you will find the story easy to digest. If not, do as you suggested. Try to take it in small bites. Its a story telling truths that will make you think of Him, but in a very mild, non-threatening way. You may not struggle with it at all. ;)

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
let me say something about triggering. Mayflower, you and Lilygrace both have such sensitive and caring hearts toward others...I am so proud of both of you for that, hard evidence of the work God has already done in both of you...loving others, and loving out of a transformed heart that was wounded, and denied experience of being loved in the past.

So, it is good to be concerned and careful about triggering others. BUT. :)

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and this is a big "but" :). Those who have walked this path for a while, are no longer as easy to trigger as they once were. You will find that TLHKAJ and Truthquest are not easy to trigger any more. The longer a survivor walks this path to freedom with Him, the stronger He makes them...fragility is turned to strength. And they have much they can give to others, out of the lessons He has already taught them. An honest, brutal, sometimes graphic witness of your story will help them help you. Also understand that in time, God changes our perception of Triggering". When triggered, after a season of walking with Him, being strengthened by Him, we can see triggering as evidence of something that God does not have full control of in our hearts. Triggers become alerts of things we need to take into His presence, and let Him heal them.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
triggers then become a call to battle....and we run TO the battle, not away from it. Sometimes God is the one who provokes the trigger, because it is His way of telling us "I want to heal this next..." experienced survivors will embrace triggers and instantly, reflexively run into His presence with them.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
still not fun..
But growing into understanding its necessary for Him to identify the places in our hearts He wants to touch next...makes our perception of triggering much different

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
triggers then become a call to battle....and we run TO the battle, not away from it. Sometimes God is the one who provokes the trigger, because it is His way of telling us "I want to heal this next..." experienced survivors will embrace triggers and instantly, reflexively run into His presence with them.
Glory to GOD!!!!!

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so, continue to be aware of others, as you already do. But don't fear telling your story either. God will handle the triggers b