Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a excellent breakdown of it...

What is the 70 week prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27?​

One of the most important ways to prove the Bible is true and that He can predict the future is to note His claim as follows: “I [am] God, and [there is] none else; [I am] God, and [there is] none like me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times [the things] that are not [yet] done.“ Isa.46:9,10. So we need to look at one of His prophecies.
Two texts with potent meanings are: “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.” Mark 1:15 and “when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law” Gal.4:4.
In view of the above two texts a major question is are there any significant time periods mentioned in the Bible? The answer is yes. It is important to know in both Daniel and Revelation there is much symbolism and some of it relates to time. The following two paragraphs describe a symbolic time which is the one alluded to in Mark 1:15 and Galatians 4:4

Seventy Weeks are Determined​

Daniel 9: 24-27 states, “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. Know therefore and understand, [that] from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince [shall be] seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof [shall be] with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease.

Day for a Year​

In order to understand this prophecy one must recognize the day for a year principle. Critical to this understanding are these to two texts: “After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, [even] forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, [even] forty years” Numbers 14:34 and “I have appointed thee each day for a year.” Ezekiel 4:6.
Bible scholars beginning with Jewish scholars as early as 132 AD down through many other students of the scriptures including Martin Luther and Sir Isaac Newton, one of the greatest names in the history of human thought, clear down to our time have recognized this concept of interpretation of Bible prophecies.
Events at the end of the French Revolution helped Bible scholars realize the prophecy of Daniel 9: 24-27 had been precisely fulfilled. There were four decrees given in regards to rebuilding Jerusalem. The first was by Cyrus, the king of Persia, in 538 B.C. The second was by Darius 1 Hystapes of Persia about 519 B.C., basically confirming Cyrus’ decree. The third was by Artaxerxes king of Persia in 457 B.C. in his 7th year and the fourth was also by Artaxerxes in his 20th year.

The first two decrees only authorized the rebuilding of the temple. The third decree was the most comprehensive and authorized the rebuilding of the city of Jerusalem. This decree also authorized the appointed of magistrates, judges, and reestablished Jewish laws as the base of government and gave the Jewish nation more sovereignty. The fourth decree given to Nehemiah in Artaxerxes 20th year helped to fulfill the decree given to Ezra in 457 B.C. The third decree with its comprehensive nature, including the allowance of full autonomy to the Jews, the reestablishment of Jewish laws and sovereignty, is the only decree that fits exactly into the prophecy of Daniel 9.

The dates for the decrees of Artaxerxes are well known and historically secure by four lines of evidence. (1) Greek historians, (2) Ptolemy’s Canon, (3) The Babylonian business tablets, and (4) The Elephantine papyri from Egypt.

Cause the Sacrifice or Oblation to Cease​

Historical evidence is clear. Jesus began His ministry in 27 AD and was crucified 3 ½ years later in 31 AD thus fulfilling the statement “in the midst of the week He shall cause the oblation and sacrifice to cease.” For centuries the Jews had slain the Passover lamb on Nisan 14, a Friday at 3 pm. Jesus was crucified on the Passover Friday and died at 3 pm.
John the Baptist had declared in John 1:39 “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” When that Lamb was slain there was no longer a need for sacrifices and oblations.'...

Reactions: covenantee

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your not comprehending the prophecy, the 483 years was not for Israel to repent, but for Jesus to fulfill the prophecy. So look at the verses in question.

Hobie, you did not actually read what I had posted and went off on your tangent to show your denominationally biased understanding.
This is the portion of the Daniel 9 chapter on which I was commenting.

Daniel 9:24a: - 24 "Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins.

I then went on to say this: -

If what you say is true, then God only gave Israel 483 years in which Israel had an opportunity to repent, if you convert the number of so-called Prophetic years to Solar years as we understand them today.

Where the 483 years was determined by this equation: - 490 x 360 / 365.25 = 482.9569 ≈ 483 years.

Now I had also stated in my post this: -

Every 40 years the number of days in the Jewish Calander coincided with the 40 years based on the solar years. Over the 40-year period the number of 360-day years is 33 and the number of 390-day years is 7.

This can be shown to be true by calculations as such.

Number of Days in 40 Solar years = 40 x 365.25 = 14,610 Days
Number of days in the Jewish calendar over 40 years = 33 x 360 + 7 x 390 = 14,610 days

What I had stated in my post that you had quoted is that the 70 weeks of years, i.e., 490 years, represented the 490 opportunities of God’s grace for “For your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins.

What was Israel’s transgression up an until that time? Was it not continual idolatrous worship in the nation of Israel, during the first two ages, of the existence of the nation of Israel, since the time of Isaac’s birth. Was not a warning given in Exodus 20:4-6 that the iniquities of the fathers would be visited upon their children and the children’s children during the third and the fourth age of the existence of the nation of Israel. Was not the second age of the existence of the Nation of Israel going to end at the time of Christ’s birth and that during the third and the fourth age of their existence that the God would turn away from hearing Israel’s cries during this second time-period.

Does not 2 Chron 7:12ff also tell us what God would do if they did not repent of their sins. The second part of Daniel 9:24b tells us that this would happen: -

Daniel 9:24b: - {And then} to make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint a scared place {as being} Holy. {would be fulfilled by Christ.}

Please note that the above is my paraphrase of verse 24b.

Hobie, also please note that Daniel 9:24b, is not included in the 490 years allowed for Israel to repent of their sins. You also then went on by introducing verses that were not a part of my post. I had only focused my post on Daniel 9:24a to demonstrate that the time period of 490 years was based around a solar variation of the normal Jewish calendar by the addition of 7 x 13 month years within every 40 years.

You went on to continue your post with this: -

'Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in tubulous times.

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate' (Daniel 9:25-27).

The angel gives a breakdown of the 70 weeks as follows:
7 weeks of years for rebuilding of Jerusalem (verse 25)
62 weeks of years to the Messiah (verses 25-26)
1 week of years to the close of the period (verse 27)

The start of the 70-week prophecy was to begin at the command that effected the restoration of Jerusalem. This command went forth under King Artaxerxes Longimanus in the year 457 BC (Ezra 7:12-13).

From this starting point, we can determine the time markers of the prophecy. Seven weeks were allotted for the restoration of Jerusalem. True to the prophecy, Jerusalem was rebuilt 49 years after 457 BC, which was 408 BC.

Seven weeks (49 day-years) for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and another threescore and two weeks (62 weeks or 434 day-years) brings us to "the Messiah the Prince." Beginning in 457 BC and applying the day-year principle, we can determine the passing of 483 years from 457 BC which brings us to 27 AD. So lets look at what happens a according to ancient Jewish law and custom, thirty years was considered the age of full maturity, physically and mentally, and suitable for high degrees of responsibility: “David was thirty years old when he became king” (2 Samuel 5:4); “Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh” (Genesis 41:46). The Jewish Levites began their priestly service at age thirty (Numbers 4:3, 23, 30, 35). Why did Jesus wait thirty years before He started His ministry? | GotQuestions.org

In 27 AD, Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit on the occasion of His baptism which marked the beginning of His ministry, and this is 1 week of years (27 AD-34 AD) to the close of the 70 week prophecy.

'Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,'(Luke 3:21-23)

This baptism marked the event in Daniel’s prophecy “unto the Messiah the Prince.” When Christ proclaimed, “The time is fulfilled” (Mark 1:15), He was referring to this part of the prophecy.

So the end of the prophecy is 34 AD, 7 day-years after the baptism:
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease (Daniel 9:27).

Christ would confirm the covenant made with Israel for one prophetic week (7 years), but oblation (offerings) would cease in the middle of the week (3 ½ years after 27 AD). This mid-point brings us to 31 AD, exactly the year Christ was crucified. It was at His death that he put an end to the system of offerings practiced by Israel for so many years. The Prophecy was fulfilled exactly as given.

Hobie, your understanding is that Daniel 9:25, 26a and 27 prophecies are all linked timewise, however, I would humbly suggest that the prophecies in Daniel 9:25, 26a and 27 are not linked in any way and that their time of execution is independent of each other.

We can only speculate at the time gap between Daniel 9:25 and 26a. Now we can pinpoint when Christ died on the cross but our understanding of when the completion of Herod’s temple occurred cannot be so easily defined.

Now it is my understanding that the prophecies contained in Daniel 9:25-27 all occur linearly one after the other, and that the Daniel 9:26b prophecy has a time span approaching around 2,000 years when the war in Heaven ends and Rev 12 and 20 informs us that Satan is imprisoned in the Bottomless pit for a further 1,000 years when he comes down to the face of the earth. Jesus in Luke 19:11-27 also reinforces this understanding. It is not until the Bottomless pit is unlocked to release the judged heavenly hosts, i.e. the Beast, the False Prophet and Satan, that Daniel 9:27 can begin to unfold in our distant future.

As I have demonstrated, your understanding of Daniel 9:24-27, as held by the SDA does not match what is recorded in the Book of Daniel.

Shalom

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie, this one chapter disproves the SDA theory. And also the claim of Jesus be cutoff in the middle of the 70th week.

The 7 year 70th week is in Ezekiel 39.

Gog/Magog event, Gog's armies destroyed, verses 1-6.

followed by 7 years, verses 9-10

followed by Armageddon, verses 17-20

Jesus returned to this earth, His Second Coming, verses 21-29

ALL OF THE END TIMES EVENTS TIME FRAMES IN BIBLE FIT WITHIN THAT 7 YEARS FOLLOWING THE GOG/MAGOG EVENT. So everybody stop arguing and focus on those 7 years.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie, this one chapter disproves the SDA theory. And also the claim of Jesus be cutoff in the middle of the 70th week.

The 7 year 70th week is in Ezekiel 39.

Gog/Magog event, Gog's armies destroyed, verses 1-6.

followed by 7 years, verses 9-10

followed by Armageddon, verses 17-20

Jesus returned to this earth, His Second Coming, verses 21-29

ALL OF THE END TIMES EVENTS TIME FRAMES IN BIBLE FIT WITHIN THAT 7 YEARS FOLLOWING THE GOG/MAGOG EVENT. So everybody stop arguing and focus on those 7 years.
Jesus was 'cut off' at the END of the 69th week of the 70 weeks prophecy.

The 70th week has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Lord Jesus. Instead, the final 70th week is for the END of this world, and is about the coming pseudo-Christ to Jerusalem that will be setup as a king over all nations and peoples.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting how different posters here all disagree with one another, but leave one another alone for the "greater good" they perceive in uniting in attacking Adventism. Just am observation.
Jesus said "And ye shall be hated of all nations for My name's sake". Even though the nations disagree, even to the point of war, with one another and hate one another, their antipathy toward truth overcomes their personal differences. They will unite against God's people.
That's happening here. Not only in this thread but others that deall with Adventist teaching, like the Sabbath. No 2 people agree on why, or when to worship, or how the law and particularly the 4th Commandment is applied, or not applied as the case may be, but they all agree and are united in their antipathy against Adventism on account of the Sabbath. If it's Adventist.... Oppose it. And come up with their own illogically conceived nonsense to counter it.
Hobie's presentations are biblical, and history, for example the 70 week prophecy of Daniel 9 and the coming of the Messiah on time, confirms the day/year principle. That one prophecy alone confirms the the Messiah as being Jesus, as well as the power of God in His sovereign control of history,.
As does history fit the other time prophecies. But evidence I guess is powerless against prejudice.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus was 'cut off' at the END of the 69th week of the 70 weeks prophecy.

The 70th week has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Lord Jesus. Instead, the final 70th week is for the END of this world, and is about the coming pseudo-Christ to Jerusalem that will be setup as a king over all nations and peoples.
Daniel 9
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off...

The 70th week was fulfilled, undecapitated from and contiguous to the preceding 69 weeks, in and by Messiah the Prince.

Completely and perfectly at Calvary.

Messiah the Prince is not "the coming pseudo-Christ".

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is SDA rhetoric doctrine and does not agree with the scriptures as given but is the understanding of mere men.

Kind of like "Solar Years?" Come on, Jay.

The fun thing about pluralism is that everyone can call anyone a goofball and be right.

I forgot—it's only "rhetoric" doctrine if the red-haired ("SDA") kid says it.

John Wesley subscribed to the prophetic day-for-a-year principle. He wrote about the 2nd beast of Revelation 13 "arriving shortly" when he saw the Papacy descending in power during his time—in accordance with the 1260-day prophecy's ending scheduled for 1798's Berthier-Pius VI meet-and-greet.

The only doctrine that is truly unique to Seventh-day Adventism is the one that armchair critics virtually never mention.

• Love
Reactions: Brakelite

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John Wesley subscribed to the prophetic day-for-a-year principle. He wrote about the 2nd beast of Revelation 13 "arriving shortly" when he saw the Papacy descending in power during his time—in accordance with the 1260-day prophecy's ending scheduled for 1798's Berthier-Pius VI meet-and-greet.

Barney, your statement only shows that even great people like John Wesley (1703-1791) can get it wrong just as easily as the article that I was referring too has as well.

I forgot—it's only "rhetoric" doctrine if the red-haired ("SDA") kid says it.

That is not true as far as I am concerned. There are many on this forum, who do not identify as SDA whose rhetoric is just as wrong as the SDA's rhetoric, with respect to End Times Euchology. SDA members on this forum are not the only ones who have flaky understandings with respect to the End Times.

Kind of like "Solar Years?" Come on, Jay.

Ah Barney, Muslims use a 360 day year and their Calander does not line up with the Solar Calander that we use today.

The Jewish Calander had an extra month added to it ever few years to accommodate the Solar years such that over a period of 40 years the Jewish Calander would have 33 x 360 day years and 7 x 390 day years which lines up with 40 x 365.25 day years in the Gregorian Calander.

Now, LOL, I hope that you are not assuming the role of BBJ in his absence.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brethren, don't be deceived by 'some' who come here to post contrary to the 'written' Word of God.

Affirming Biblical FACTS that are actually written is NOT an attack against men's Seventh Day Adventist system, nor any other. It's actually the other way around, a false teaching from men's doctrines is instead an attack upon God's written Word.

The simple matter with organizations of men that claim to be Christian, is... and always will be, is what they teach actually written in The Word of God, or not?

In all... religious organizations of men, there will always be areas of teaching that are lacking in Biblical Truth, simply because none of them can be more perfect than the actual Word of God, and men cannot help themselves with creating their traditions that are not Biblical.

So don't allow them to think they have authority over your disciplined study of God's Word, for they don't have authority, and nor should we trust them without confirming a matter in God's Word like the good Bereans did with Apostle Paul's teaching.

• Wow
Reactions: Jay Ross

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie, you did not actually read what I had posted and went off on your tangent to show your denominationally biased understanding.
This is the portion of the Daniel 9 chapter on which I was commenting.

Daniel 9:24a: - 24 "Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins.

I then went on to say this: -

Where the 483 years was determined by this equation: - 490 x 360 / 365.25 = 482.9569 ≈ 483 years.

Now I had also stated in my post this: -

This can be shown to be true by calculations as such.

Number of Days in 40 Solar years = 40 x 365.25 = 14,610 Days
Number of days in the Jewish calendar over 40 years = 33 x 360 + 7 x 390 = 14,610 days

What I had stated in my post that you had quoted is that the 70 weeks of years, i.e., 490 years, represented the 490 opportunities of God’s grace for “For your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins.

What was Israel’s transgression up an until that time? Was it not continual idolatrous worship in the nation of Israel, during the first two ages, of the existence of the nation of Israel, since the time of Isaac’s birth. Was not a warning given in Exodus 20:4-6 that the iniquities of the fathers would be visited upon their children and the children’s children during the third and the fourth age of the existence of the nation of Israel. Was not the second age of the existence of the Nation of Israel going to end at the time of Christ’s birth and that during the third and the fourth age of their existence that the God would turn away from hearing Israel’s cries during this second time-period.

Does not 2 Chron 7:12ff also tell us what God would do if they did not repent of their sins. The second part of Daniel 9:24b tells us that this would happen: -

Daniel 9:24b: - {And then} to make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint a scared place {as being} Holy. {would be fulfilled by Christ.}

Please note that the above is my paraphrase of verse 24b.

Hobie, also please note that Daniel 9:24b, is not included in the 490 years allowed for Israel to repent of their sins. You also then went on by introducing verses that were not a part of my post. I had only focused my post on Daniel 9:24a to demonstrate that the time period of 490 years was based around a solar variation of the normal Jewish calendar by the addition of 7 x 13 month years within every 40 years.

You went on to continue your post with this: -

Hobie, your understanding is that Daniel 9:25, 26a and 27 prophecies are all linked timewise, however, I would humbly suggest that the prophecies in Daniel 9:25, 26a and 27 are not linked in any way and that their time of execution is independent of each other.

We can only speculate at the time gap between Daniel 9:25 and 26a. Now we can pinpoint when Christ died on the cross but our understanding of when the completion of Herod’s temple occurred cannot be so easily defined.

Now it is my understanding that the prophecies contained in Daniel 9:25-27 all occur linearly one after the other, and that the Daniel 9:26b prophecy has a time span approaching around 2,000 years when the war in Heaven ends and Rev 12 and 20 informs us that Satan is imprisoned in the Bottomless pit for a further 1,000 years when he comes down to the face of the earth. Jesus in Luke 19:11-27 also reinforces this understanding. It is not until the Bottomless pit is unlocked to release the judged heavenly hosts, i.e. the Beast, the False Prophet and Satan, that Daniel 9:27 can begin to unfold in our distant future.

As I have demonstrated, your understanding of Daniel 9:24-27, as held by the SDA does not match what is recorded in the Book of Daniel.

Shalom
They did not use the modern 365 days, especially for prophetic years, it is 360..

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brethren, don't be deceived by 'some' who come here to post contrary to the 'written' Word of God.

Affirming Biblical FACTS that are actually written is NOT an attack against men's Seventh Day Adventist system, nor any other. It's actually the other way around, a false teaching from men's doctrines is instead an attack upon God's written Word.

The simple matter with organizations of men that claim to be Christian, is... and always will be, is what they teach actually written in The Word of God, or not?

In all... religious organizations of men, there will always be areas of teaching that are lacking in Biblical Truth, simply because none of them can be more perfect than the actual Word of God, and men cannot help themselves with creating their traditions that are not Biblical.

So don't allow them to think they have authority over your disciplined study of God's Word, for they don't have authority, and nor should we trust them without confirming a matter in God's Word like the good Bereans did with Apostle Paul's teaching.

Lone Wolf anti-denominationalism may serve to stroke the ego well enough but it doesn't do much in the way of getting the mission and ministry of the church done according to God's design.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets look at this prophetic time period found in scripture which is the time, times and half a time mentioned in Daniel and Revelation:

Daniel 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Daniel 12:7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.

Revelation 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

If we look back to Daniel we see the word 'time' in this prophetic context refers to a period of a year. In the story of King Nebuchadnezzar, he went crazy for seven years which is given as "seven times" in the text, and humbled and ate grass as an ox as seen in Daniel 4:32:

Daniel 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

So in prophetic reading we see the days equal years, so lets look how many days are in a time, times and half a time, it means time (or 1 year), times (or 2 years) and half a time (or 1/2 year) or a total of 3 1/2 years. Most people who look at it would stop at this point and accept the 3 1/2 years only at face value.

But these are prophetic years so each day is a year and 3 1/2 years would be 3 1/2 times a Jewish year of 360 days (360 x 3.5= 1260) so comes out to 1260 days, and a prophetic day equals a year so using the same methodology as is used for the 70 weeks of Daniel we calculate it to actually represent 1260 literal years. So, 'Time, Times and half a Time' in prophecy is really 1260 years. To confirm this formula we need only to look at the book of Revelation.

Revelation 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Here the woman represents the faithful church, who flees into the wilderness for 1260 days. Again using the day=year formula, this actually speaks of 1260 years that the church would be persecuted. Now look at verse 14:

Revelation 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

Here the exact same time of persecution is referred to as 3 1/2 times, again meaning the same period of 1260 days/years as found in verse 6. In the book of Daniel, we saw this exact same period of persecution in church history:

Daniel 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

This verse in context is referring to a period of time that the little horn or Antichrist power will persecute the true believers or true church, again for 1260 years. The same is true for the time given "that it shall be for a time, times, and an half" for Daniel 12:7

So why is it not a year equal to 365 days as we hold today? Well in ancient times the year was held to be at 360 days. The fact that the prophets understood a year as 360 days is well attested, and can be seen in the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation as seen in the use of "time, times and half a time" (i.e. 1+2+0.5=3.5), "1,260 days" and "42 months". These references represent a period of 1260 years (based on the 360 day Jewish year multiplied by 3.5). Divide 1,260 days by 42 months and you will get a 30-day month, as 12 months of 30 days equals 360-days in a year

These time periods occur eight times in scripture:
Daniel 7:25, "time, times and a half".
Daniel 9:27, "half one set of seven".
Daniel 12:7, "time, times and a half".
Revelation 11:2, "42 months".
Revelation 11:3, "1260 days".
Revelation 12:6, "1260 days".
Revelation 12:14, "time, times and a half".
Revelation 13:5, "42 months".

We see how the 1260 day-for-year prophecy is found in Daniel 7, 9 and 12 and again in Revelation 11, 12 and again in Revelation 13. so many chapters in the Bible all pointing to that same 1260 year period which today we know as "the dark ages". If one looks history you quickly find that after abandonment of Rome by the Emperors, was the rise of Papal Rome with the Pope at its head, a powerful religious but apostate church as seen in the system of worship all the way from Babylon. The conversion of the empire to Christianity, and then its removal of the Empires seat from Rome, freed the papacy from temporal domination of the Empire and it grew into a persecuting antichrist power whose persecution of Gods people clearly went on during these 1260 years. These "1,260 days" spanned the Middle Ages and historicists throughout history have identified the "1,260 days" as being fulfilled by rise of the Papacy and its temporal power being taken, from 538 AD to 1798, or Napoleon's Roman Republic.

In Daniel 7 we also read of what would happen during this period, that it would 'wear out the saints of the most High'..

And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws (Daniel 7:25).

The Papacy has a long history of "wearing out" the saints of the Most High, and its most extrema persecution was during the Middle Ages of anyone daring to oppose the Church. This gives us a clear identification of who the entity is who "persecuted the saints". The beast of Revelation 13 is a religious-political entity that is used by Satan, to persecute God’s people. The dragon in Revelation 12 is Satan working through pagan and religious powers with his deceptions and lies. We see how the beast symbolizes basically Satan using the corrupted religious-political power to destroy Gods true people.
You are makming rules where there shoud not be!

the word year for Nebuchadnezzars insanity is added in the English! In Hebrew it is only

Same with the word weeks! IN Dan. 9:24 it is sabim sabua which means 70 7's. we have added years because we have seen the prophecy fulfilled in years so the subua here mean 7 years.

In other places in Hebrew it can mean 7 dyas, 7 months or 7 years etc. all depending on context.

There is no 1260 year prophecy is not found anywhere except in the fertile mind of allegorists. there have been numerous attempts to prove this and each one negates the others.

The simplest is to let the simple meaning take hold, especially as fortified by NT, writings. the 1260 days are 3 1/2 Jewish years which perfectly fits with teh Matt 24 and Rev. prophecies.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are makming rules where there shoud not be!

the word year for Nebuchadnezzars insanity is added in the English! In Hebrew it is only

Same with the word weeks! IN Dan. 9:24 it is sabim sabua which means 70 7's. we have added years because we have seen the prophecy fulfilled in years so the subua here mean 7 years.

In other places in Hebrew it can mean 7 dyas, 7 months or 7 years etc. all depending on context.

There is no 1260 year prophecy is not found anywhere except in the fertile mind of allegorists. there have been numerous attempts to prove this and each one negates the others.

The simplest is to let the simple meaning take hold, especially as fortified by NT, writings. the 1260 days are 3 1/2 Jewish years which perfectly fits with teh Matt 24 and Rev. prophecies.
Yes, and can you find in history anywhere with its fulfilment, No. And thus it is lost to and the people are left blind which is the devils purpose and plan.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and can you find in history anywhere with its fulfilment, No. And thus it is lost to and the people are left blind which is the devils purpose and plan.
Well you cannot find in history a fulfilment of an allegorical 1260 year prophecy.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E tth
Well you cannot find in history a fulfilment of an allegorical 1260 year prophecy.
Even the church of Rome admits to the 1200 plus years of supremacy it had and was broken when Napoleon sent his General to Rome to take down the Pope..

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E tth

Even the church of Rome admits to the 1200 plus years of supremacy it had and was broken when Napoleon sent his General to Rome to take down the Pope..
That has nothing to do with the 3 1/2 years of exile for Israel found in Revelation.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The dispensational futurist cannot find it in history, because the dispensational futurist despises and rejects history.

The historical prophecies are found in Scripture, and their fulfillments were recognized and confirmed by the Reformers.

Whom to believe?

1. You
2. The Reformers, whom God raised up to liberate His True Church from 1260 years of spiritual darkness and oppression.

Need a hint?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E tth

There is no prophecy in the bible about a "beast" institution lasting 1260 years. The 1260 days is written about the length the two witnesses have and they are not the beast. The beast is written to have 42 months. That isn't 1260 years and not even 42 years. The beast has a short time to rule not a super long, thousands of years.

Rev 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
Rev 11:5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
Rev 11:6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
Rev 11:7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

The two witnesses do not have a testimony for 1260 years either. You have everything mixed up and extended too long. It does not match what the bible says.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has nothing to do with the 3 1/2 years of exile for Israel found in Revelation.
It was the 1260 years just as given in prophecy, and they know it and thus the Jesuit attempts to divert what clearly points to them as the anti Christ entity, and suppress it with these lies of futurism and preterism...