Understanding the Trinity.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So recently, it seems we have a lot of just terrible doctrine about the Trinity on here. And while i understand that it can be a confusing doctrine for over thinkers, i do believe its a necessary doctrine for salvation. To help those confused with it, i thought i’d help explain it.

the WCF has this to say about the Trinity;
“ In the unity of the Godhead there be three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost: the Father is of none, neither begotten, nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son.”

so what does this mean?? Well, heres what john calvin had to say;
“We believe and worship the one God whom Scripture proclaims to us. We also conceive Him as He is described to us there, namely of eternal, infinite, and spiritual essence, who alone has the power to subsist in Himself and from Himself, and who bestows it on all creatures. We reject the Anthropomorphites with their corporeal God and the Manicheans with their two gods. Instead, we acknowledge, in the one essence of God, the Father together with His eternal Word and Spirit. When we use this distinction of names, we do not imagine three gods, as if the Father were something other than the Word. In addition, we do not understand these as empty epithets, by the operations of which God is described in different ways. But together with the ecclesiastical writers, in the most simple unity of God, we think that these are three persons [hypostases], that is, substances[subsistentias] that nevertheless consist of one essence [essentia] but are not mingled with each other. And so although there is one God, the Father together with His Word and Spirit, the Father is nevertheless not the Word nor is the Spirit the Word Himself. And the firm testimonies of Scripture are found to support this way of thinking.

still confused?? Lets try this;
“The most difficult thing about the Christian concept of the Trinity is that there is no way to perfectly and completely understand it. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain. God is infinitely greater than we are; therefore, we should not expect to be able to fully understand Him. The Bible teaches that the Father is God, that Jesus is God, and that the Holy Spirit is God. The Bible also teaches that there is only one God. Though we can understand some facts about the relationship of the different Persons of the Trinity to one another, ultimately, it is incomprehensible to the human mind. However, this does not mean the Trinity is not true or that it is not based on the teachings of the Bible.”

“There is subordination within the Trinity. Scripture shows that the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Father and the Son, and the Son is subordinate to the Father. This is an internal relationship and does not deny the deity of any Person of the Trinity. This is simply an area which our finite minds cannot understand concerning the infinite God. Concerning the Son see Luke 22:42, John 5:36, John 20:21, and 1 John 4:14. Concerning the Holy Spirit see John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26, 16:7, and especially John 16:13-14.”

i know this is long winded, but i hope it helps.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some 'God topics' are so above our understanding that we end up resorting to describe them in terms of what they are not rather than trying to explain what they are.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like everything else that is of God; you will never understand fully how the Trinity works! One God, yet 3 separate persons: it MUST be taken by faith, through the Holy Spirit. That being said, even tho the bible does not use the word "trinity", we can see through out the Bible that it is so. Like the very baptism of Jesus; Jesus in the water, dripping wet; the Holy Spirit coming upon Jesus still in the water; The voice of the Father booming from heaven, while Jesus is STILL in the water. Or the vision of Stephen just before he died; he saw Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father... he saw them separate. Or what Jesus said, that anything you speak against the Father or the Son will be forgiven; but anything you speak against the Holy Spirit will not ever be forgiven, on earth, or in heaven! Indicating that they each have there own personality, with there own feelings.

I have done a full study on this - I could give you pages on biblical proof of the Trinity both from the OT, and the NT. But it still needs to be accepted by faith - turn your brain off for this one.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says Stephen saw the glory of God and and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. Since the Father is God alone [Jn 17:3], you are technically correct, but still misquoting the scripture.

Acts 7:55 - "But he [Stephen], being full of the Holy Spirit, looked intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;" - NASB.

Jesus is not at the right hand of the HS, and he is not at his own right hand. He is the right hand of God who is the Father alone Ps. 110:1, ASV* and whose name is Jehovah (or Yahweh) Psalm 83:18, KJV.

* Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
Until I make thine enemies thy footstool. - Ps. 110:1, ASV.

Reactions: Aunty Jane and APAK

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says Stephen saw the glory of God and and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. Since the Father is God alone [Jn 17:3], you are technically correct, but still misquoting the scripture.

Acts 7:55 - "But he [Stephen], being full of the Holy Spirit, looked intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;" - NASB.

Jesus is not at the right hand of the HS, and he is not at his own right hand. He is the right hand of God who is the Father alone Ps. 110:1, ASV* and whose name is Jehovah (or Yahweh) Psalm 83:18, KJV.

* Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
Until I make thine enemies thy footstool. - Ps. 110:1, ASV.

you JW’s travel in packs dont ya. The Trinity is Biblical, one God, three persons.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Might not be JW, United Pentecost also don't believe the Trinity! BTW I was stating the part of the scripture that proved the Trinity, not quoting it. There is difference.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like everything else that is of God; you will never understand fully how the Trinity works! One God, yet 3 separate persons: it MUST be taken by faith, through the Holy Spirit. That being said, even tho the bible does not use the word "trinity", we can see through out the Bible that it is so. Like the very baptism of Jesus; Jesus in the water, dripping wet; the Holy Spirit coming upon Jesus still in the water; The voice of the Father booming from heaven, while Jesus is STILL in the water. Or the vision of Stephen just before he died; he saw Jesus standing at the right hand of the Father... he saw them separate. Or what Jesus said, that anything you speak against the Father or the Son will be forgiven; but anything you speak against the Holy Spirit will not ever be forgiven, on earth, or in heaven! Indicating that they each have there own personality, with there own feelings.

I have done a full study on this - I could give you pages on biblical proof of the Trinity both from the OT, and the NT. But it still needs to be accepted by faith - turn your brain off for this one.
This is cop out theology. God revealed who He is through the prophets and apostles. If God wants people to be able to tell the difference between Himself and false gods, logic dictates that He would thoroughly explain who He is so no one would be able to confuse Him for a false god.

It makes no logical sense whatsoever for God to expect Christians to believe He is their Father while leaving them in the dark about who He is. The Bible states in multiple places that Christ came to declare the Father, and that includes revealing the nature of who God is to humanity. The nature of God is a total mystery to trinitarians because they don't believe any of the prophets or apostles. If they believed those individuals, they wouldn't make intellectually lazy arguments like "we have to just accept God doesn't want us to know everything about Him". God made 0 effort in the Bible to hide things about Himself, so trinitarians' inability to completely understand the nature of the pagan trinity ought to make them realize the Bible doesn't support trinitarianism in any form.

It's amazing how passages like Gen. 1:26, Rom. 8:17, Eph. 2:19, Rev. 19:7 shows God is a Family, and yet trinitarians carelessly read over the revelation contained in those passages because they have been completely inoculated with pagan doctrines. In light of 1 Thess. 5:21 saying a Christian is supposed to prove all things to themselves, the true God has nothing to hide about Himself. The trinitarians' false gods on the other hand, has plenty to hide about themselves. That's why they tell their followers to turn their brains off and just mindlessly accept the various trinitarian doctrines on faith.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So recently, it seems we have a lot of just terrible doctrine about the Trinity on here. And while i understand that it can be a confusing doctrine for over thinkers, i do believe its a necessary doctrine for salvation. To help those confused with it, i thought i’d help explain it.

the WCF has this to say about the Trinity;
“ In the unity of the Godhead there be three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost: the Father is of none, neither begotten, nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son.”
<emphasis above is mine>

@Lifelong_sinner , I have a question for you. I full heartedly believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 distinct persons in 1 God. Each of them has always existed, is all powerful, all good, all merciful, all just, etc.

But after much study, I do not believe that they are one in substance, because I just don't find that supported in scripture. I'm don't agree with the Athanasian Creed's description of God, or Westminster Confession of Faith on this issue.

Do you believer I am unsaved because of this? Why or why not? My intent here is asking to help me better understand your beliefs. Not to argue or change anyone's beliefs (that's not going to happen).

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<emphasis above is mine>

@Lifelong_sinner , I have a question for you. I full heartedly believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 distinct persons in 1 God. Each of them has always existed, is all powerful, all good, all merciful, all just, etc.

But after much study, I do not believe that they are one in substance, because I just don't find that supported in scripture. I'm don't agree with the Athanasian Creed's description of God, or Westminster Confession of Faith on this issue.

Do you believer I am unsaved because of this? Why or why not? My intent here is asking to help me better understand your beliefs. Not to argue or change anyone's beliefs (that's not going to happen).

im a bit confused here, you acknowledge one God, three persons, so what do you mean by not one in substance??
Why exactly do you not agree with the WCF?
As far as are you saved? Not my place to say, but the fact that you do seem to acknowledge the Trinity would show you do agree and understand how the Trinity exist, and their roles.
The question you seem to be really asking is, what is the minimum amount of theology do i need to agree with and understand in order to be saved?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im a bit confused here, you acknowledge one God, three persons, so what do you mean by not one in substance??
Why exactly do you not agree with the WCF?
I don’t find Scripture saying anything about “substance “ of God so I cannot agree with that statement. Hence I cannot ratify the Athanasian Creed nor WCF.
As far as are you saved? Not my place to say, but the fact that you do seem to acknowledge the Trinity would show you do agree and understand how the Trinity exist, and their roles.
The question you seem to be really asking is, what is the minimum amount of theology do i need to agree with and understand in order to be saved?
I am curious of that when I encounter people whom do believe in some degree of theological test is required.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say “substance”, are you meaning existing in something tangible??

as far as theological test, i think a theological test best affirms if a person really understands the gospel, but also if a person “knows” God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say “substance”, are you meaning existing in something tangible??
It's your Creed, not mine. What do you believe is meant by "In the unity of the Godhead there be three persons, of one substance"? And why is this so important to you?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. Matthew 24:35
    Heaven and earth shall pass away, but mywords shall not pass away.

only God can say this!

2 pet 2:2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's your Creed, not mine. What do you believe is meant by "In the unity of the Godhead there be three persons, of one substance"? And why is this so important to you?
Generally trinitarians use the words nature , substance, essence, being to mean “ One “ , or “Oneness” of God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Generally trinitarians use the words nature , substance, essence, being to mean “ One “ , or “Oneness” of God.
Hi, long time no chat!

I am aware of that, and that if I ask “but what does that mean”, folks struggle to answer. I acknowledge their right to believe as they do (obviously), but this isn’t a specific belief I can sign my name to or agree that passing this theology test is essential for salvation.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, long time no chat!

I am aware of that, and that if I ask “but what does that mean”, folks struggle to answer. I acknowledge their right to believe as they do (obviously), but this isn’t a specific belief I can sign my name to or agree that passing this theology test is essential for salvation.
Or we like to say God is One what and Three who’s

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do believe its a necessary doctrine for salvation.

What verse states The nature of God is a trinity - consisting of the F, S & HS who are co-substantial, co-equal and co-eternal - and if you do not believe this you cannot be saved but will be damned to hell forever? Funny, that another trinitarian told me within the last 24 hours it was not necessary for salvation. @Ferris Bueller

Reactions: Nancy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What verse states The nature of God is a trinity - consisting of the F, S & HS who are co-substantial, co-equal and co-eternal - and if you do not believe this you cannot be saved but will be damned to hell forever? Funny, that another trinitarian told me within the last 24 hours it was not necessary for salvation. @Ferris Bueller
It has to be essential or else any false god could save anyone and it becomes absurd. Only the True God has the Power to save anyone from their sins. And the True God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has to be essential or else any false god could save anyone and it becomes absurd. Only the True God has the Power to save anyone from their sins. And the True God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

The only clear, undisputed scripture which speaks of the only true God is Jesus' prayer at John 17:3. And that is that the Father is the only true God.

Reactions: APAK