Unity of the faith - at what cost?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What's the point of Peter singling him out as hard to understand

Peter was often "slow to hear".

At one point, Paul, who was not one of the 12 original apostles, (as you know).... had to correct Peter's public behavior.
Another time, in Acts 10, God had to correct Peter's Theology, and that was 10 yrs after Jesus was back in Glory.
Peter, in Acts 10, which is about a decade after Jesus is "ascended", has no idea that Gentiles can be saved.

Peter did recognize that Paul's letters were equal to the Torah, and said so... referred to Paul's actual letters as "scripture".

That is kinda amazing, when you consider that Paul was not with them, when they knew Jesus.
Paul came later, and at first they were afraid of Him.
"we heard about this one who was in charge of having Believers harmed, killed, is now one of us".

Interesting situaion.

Paul is very "spiritual".. So, His epistles, can be chastisement to some church members, but most of the Time, Paul's letters
are very spiritual , much moreso then the other Apostles,....the same way that the Gospel of John is very Spiritual, when compared to the other 3.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was often "slow to hear".

At one point, Paul, who was not one of the 12 original apostles, (as you know).... had to correct Peter's public behavior.
Another time, in Acts 10, God had to correct Peter's Theology, and that was 10 yrs after Jesus was back in Glory.
Peter, in Acts 10, which is about a decade after Jesus is "ascended", has no idea that Gentiles can be saved.

Peter did recognize that Paul's letters were equal to the Torah, and said so... referred to Paul's actual letters as "scripture".

That is kinda amazing, when you consider that Paul was not with them, when they knew Jesus.
Paul came later, and at first they were afraid of Him.
"we heard about this one who was in charge of having Believers harmed, killed, is now one of us".

Interesting situaion.

Paul is very "spiritual".. So, His epistles, can be chastisement to some church members, but most of the Time, Paul's letters
are very spiritual , much moreso then the other Apostles,....the same way that the Gospel of John is very Spiritual, when compared to the other 3.
Trouble is, Peter didn't write Acts or Galatians, and I'm afraid of the idea that some Scripture is more spiritual than others (2 Timothy 3:16, you know). Obviously, all are free to believe as their consciences dictate. :)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Trouble is, Peter didn't write Acts or Galatians, and I'm afraid of the idea that some Scripture is more spiritual than others (2 Timothy 3:16, you know). Obviously, all are free to believe as their consciences dictate. :)

A verse like this..

"being now translated from Darkness... To Light"...

or, "Christ has redeemed us from the Curse of the Law"

or "Christ is the end of the Law for Righteousness, to every one who Believes"

or "being now transformed from glory to glory into the image of Christ"

or "Lest the Light of the glorious gospel shine into them"

or, "the circumcision made without hands"

see all that?
That is Paul... that is all spiritual and veiled and has to be discerned.

and this...

"he that is spiritual discerns all things"

"The word of God is Spiritually Discerned.""

"the natural man receiveth not the things of God".

"the mind of the flesh".

See all that?
That is Paul's mystical spiritual revelation, just pouring out.
Only John does this, in some in His epistles.... but not like Paul, who does it constantly.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A verse like this..

"being now translated from Darkness... To Light"...

or, "Christ has redeemed us from the Curse of the Law"

or "Christ is the end of the Law for Righteousness, to every one who Believes"

or "being now transformed from glory to glory into the image of Christ"

or "Lest the Light of the glorious gospel shine into them"

or, "the circumcision made without hands"

see all that?
That is Paul... that is all spiritual and veiled and has to be discerned.

and this...

"he that is spiritual discerns all things"

"The word of God is Spiritually Discerned.""

"the natural man receiveth not the things of God".

"the mind of the flesh".

See all that?
That is Paul's mystical spiritual revelation, just pouring out.
Only John does this, in some in His epistles.... but not like Paul, who does it constantly.
This is turning into an argument, so I'm going to add one more thing, and give you the last word.

1Corinthians 1:11-15
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

All are free to believe as their consciences dictate. :)

Reactions: Wrangler

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read one post that gave a list of essentials that included the necessity for believing that Jesus is God as a qualification for calling another a "brother in Christ."

This gave me pause for some self-examination because, while I believe that Christ and His Father are One, I know some very fine people who don't believe that with whom I have much more in common than not.
Jesus took pause in presenting that concept:
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility consider one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, as He already existed in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but emptied Himself by taking the form of a bond-servant and being born in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death: death on a cross.
Phil. 2:3-8

Man has struggled with grasping this concept. They didn't grasp it then and some have difficulty grasping it now, a small percentage though. Jesus intended for this concept of His deity to be revealed more clearly after His death and resurrection, through scripture and by the Holy Spirit. At the time, He only briefly revealed His glorified state to the disciples. He relinquished His glory, became a man for the purpose if presenting himself as human, so we could follow Him, be like Him. The message to us is to have this humble attitude, be loving, of one mind, and to not present ourselves with empty conceit, above others with less knowledge or possessing none at all.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
This is turning into an argument, so I'm going to add one more thing, and give you the last word.

Pauline Theology.

accept no substitute, and remember that "behold' is the one who brought that truth to this Forum. as He does to every forum and to every group, pulpit, blog, etc, etc, etc.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
R...M...E.
The new covenant is the GOSPEL ( good news) of Jesus the Christ; his finished work in doing the will of the Father, ie, securing the REDEMPTION OF ALL WHOM HEAR THIS GOSPEL & BELIEVE ON HIM, and his blood sacrifice.....JESUS!!!!

Paul was an Apostle of Jesus, ( saw Jesus in glorification), one called of the Pharisees, educated by the most knowledgeable of scholars, yet by his own word Jesus appointed him the Apostle of the " good news" to the Gentiles . Paul NEVER preached his own gospel, but rather the preaching of the "CROSS, DEATH, BURIAL & RESURRECTION of the Lord God, Jesus !

He then began to instruct the followers & believers of JESUS in obedience to the word, in their daily EXAMINATION OF OURSELVES & RENEWAL OF OUR MINDS!

One has to DENY THE TRUTH of the written epistles of Christ' other Apostles to ONLY believe in Paul's theology !

• Wow

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Paul NEVER preached his own gospel, but rather the preaching of the "CROSS, DEATH, BURIAL & RESURRECTION of the Lord God, Jesus !

Actually Paul said that His Gospel was not given to him by any person, but He received it from Jesus, Himself.

Paul said that "the Gospel of the GRACE of God", that is Paul's Gospel, that came from Christ is "my Gospel".

He said this 3x in the New Testament

"MY Gospel".

And He said that if you preach or teach any other....., then this is a cursed teaching and more, and you are in a bad situation, reader.

Galatians 1:8

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad to read seemingly so MUCH supposed study yet so little UNDERSTANDING!

Reactions: Wrangler

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus took pause in presenting that concept:
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility consider one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, as He already existed in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but emptied Himself by taking the form of a bond-servant and being born in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death: death on a cross.
Phil. 2:3-8

Man has struggled with grasping this concept. They didn't grasp it then and some have difficulty grasping it now, a small percentage though. Jesus intended for this concept of His deity to be revealed more clearly after His death and resurrection, through scripture and by the Holy Spirit. At the time, He only briefly revealed His glorified state to the disciples. He relinquished His glory, became a man for the purpose if presenting himself as human, so we could follow Him, be like Him. The message to us is to have this humble attitude, be loving, of one mind, and to not present ourselves with empty conceit, above others with less knowledge or possessing none at all.
Well said, Brother Ron. Very nice, and I appreciate your influence on others and myself in this regard. I wish I had always been so kind to you. :D

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pauline Theology.

accept no substitute, and remember that "behold' is the one who brought that truth to this Forum. as He does to every forum and to every group, pulpit, blog, etc, etc, etc.
Would you ever let me forget it? ;)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Would you ever let me forget it? ;)

Paul said to us..both.

"Be a follower of Me, as i follow Christ".

He didn't say "worship".... so, dont get in a twist about that...

He is explaining that the mysteries of Christ and the Doctrine for the Body, is "FROM Christ through me" almost 100%.

So, when we study Paul's Letters, we find pure Christianity, that is not dumbed down by man-made denominations, and cults, and similar.

"Pauline Theology"

accept no substitute.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1Corinthians 1:11-15
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

All are free to believe as their consciences dictate. :)
Good analysis that fits the scripture that you have quoted as well as:

Judges 21:25
English Standard Version

25 In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Revelation 2:4-5
Amplified Bible

4 But I have this [charge] against you, that you have left your first love [you have lost the depth of love that you first had for Me]. 5 So remember the heights from which you have fallen, and repent [change your inner self—your old way of thinking, your sinful behavior—seek God’s will] and do the works you did at first [when you first knew Me]; otherwise, I will visit you and remove your lampstand (the church, its impact) from its place—unless you repent.

Our first love and loyalty is to be toward our Savior, Jesus, and not to divers denominational doctrines that are the cause of our constant bickering and division. Even the ancient first century church in Ephesus, where the apostle John fell asleep, lost their first love while continuing in other commendable activities. The Church of Christ on the earth as a whole today needs to do what Jesus told Ephesus to do back then: REPENT!

The second important relationship is towards others; our fellow humans; our fellow believers, no? That appears to be a common sticking point when discussing unity. The seven churches in Rev. chapters 2-3 probably wouldn't have agreed with each other either.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said to us..both.

"Be a follower of Me, as i follow Christ".

He didn't say "worship".... so, dont get in a twist about that...

He is explaining that the mysteries of Christ and the Doctrine for the Body, is "FROM Christ through me" almost 100%.

So, when we study Paul's Letters, we find pure Christianity, that is not dumbed down by man-made denominations, and cults, and similar.

"Pauline Theology"

accept no substitute.
Who's in a twist?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Who's in a twist?

Here are a few "Twists".

1.) "cult of Mary"

2.) John Calvinist's

3.) JW's

4.) Mormons

5.) "im a denomination"

6.) I can lose my salvation

7.) I have to confess sin that Jesus already paid for 2000 yrs ago

8.) Water Baptism saved me

9.) Keeping law and the 10 commandments is "Christianity"

10.) As long as i hold unto my Faith, God wont let me go to Hell

11.) Sin....Confess.... Repeat......."Is Christianity".

12.) The bible is just a book

13.) There is no eternal Hell, or Lake of Fire, no Eternal judgment for Christ Rejection.

See all that?

That is "twisted"

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said, Brother Ron. Very nice, and I appreciate your influence on others and myself in this regard. I wish I had always been so kind to you. :D
Well, we've had our bouts. I probably deserved some arrows of animosity shot at me. I have a tendancy to provoke people. Don't recall whether it was about Amillennialism, Non-Trinitarian, Christian Science or the Sabbath? I remember teasing you, telling you to go ask Andy for advice! ;) We can unite in Christ even though we have doctrinal discord.