Visions and Dreams from God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are visions and dreams from God real? I'm considering it may be time for me to leave or step back for a while because I am really struggling with faith. One minute I feel strong and confident, the next I revert to that same old question of how can I be certain I am not making this all up? The board may have a lot to do with it. And life. Being told constantly that you are insane, doesn't help. I'm not one to believe without proof. I'm just not. I question everything and can relate to Thomas who was not quick to believe.

But some strange things have happened to me over past couple of years until I am left with the question of: how much proof will it take?

I had a dream a couple of years back and the dream has stuck with me. I was fairly new to reading the word at the time. The dream began as any other dream. Nothing unique. I was being chased by the dead and riding this contraption similar to a scooter except you had to pump the handle up and down to give it the speed to go. It was work. Labor intense. I was afraid of what was after me and kept pumping the handle until I found myself settled in a low valley. The harder and faster I worked to gain speed to climb up out of this valley, the more I realized I wasn't going to be able to climb out. All the work was pointless.

Two others were with me. I never saw faces, but I knew who they were. We ran, being chased by something I never saw but knew was there. I led the two others into a house and slammed a door in the face of the violent darkness after us.

The evil burst through the door.
I slammed another door.
The evil burst through that door.
Another.
The dark would not let up.
I kept slamming doors and they kept breaking. Every door the dark burst through after us until...That last door shut and I knew that I was home and safe and protected. I knew this door would hold and not break. Where I was, was comfort. I was safer than I had ever been in my life. The total absence of fear. I also knew I belonged there. I turned and asked the comfort and safety about the two whose faces I never saw, "will you adopt them too?" I asked.

Again, I never saw a face but the answer was immediate and sure. There was never a voice or an audible reply, only an action. They were both gathered up and brought into the comfort of a big breasted chest. No face. Just immediate love. Like a mother would gather to feed within her warmth.

For me, it was a confirmation of Salvation for two I had been asking for. Now I would forget all this and chalk it up as just a dream, until one day I read a passage and the full meaning of it opened. I had never read it before; but it was there I remembered the dream.

Luke 16:23-30
[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. [24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. [25] But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. [26] And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. [27] Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: [28] For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. [29] Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. [30] And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

I could see the great gulf of sin separating man from God. God sent His Son and evil things were done to the Son of God. But the Father did it, came, lowering Himself to close the gulf of sin separating man from God. God had answered the rich mans plea by sending one from the dead. Lazarus is the Spirit of God (Christ) that was laid outside the gates and was held in the bosom of the Father. Where He was sent from.

This bosom was where I belonged and was where those two were gathered unto. In the house of God was where I belonged and was where those two were gathered unto. You may say, that is old testament but it is not only old testament.

Bosom (House)

John 1:18
[18] No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

The Father has conceived us.
The Father has carried us in His bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child.
The Father gives us flesh.
The Father leads those with young.
"I am not able to bear because it is too heavy for me."
But take of His Yoke, His burden is light.

Moses prophesying in Numbers 11:12-13
[12] Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? [13] Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat. I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me.

Israel in Ruth 4:16 And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it.

And in Job 31:31-36 If the men of my tabernacle said not, Oh that we had of his flesh! we cannot be satisfied. [32] The stranger did not lodge in the street: but I opened my doors to the traveller. [33] If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom: [34] Did I fear a great multitude, or did the contempt of families terrify me, that I kept silence, and went not out of the door? [35] Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book. [36] Surely I would take it upon my shoulder, and bind it as a crown to me.

Isaiah 40:10-11
[10] Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand , and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. [11] He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

Yesterday, I revisited the dream and the meaning of Bosom (House) opened further:

Psalm 79:11-12
[11] Let the sighing of the prisoner come before thee; according to the greatness of thy power preserve thou those that are appointed to die; [12] And render unto our neighbours sevenfold into their bosom their reproach, wherewith they have reproached thee, O Lord.

render Sevenfold into their house:

Isaiah 65:2-6
[2] I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; [3] A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick; [4] Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels; [5] Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day. [6] Behold, it is written before me: I will not keep silence, but will recompense, even recompense into their bosom,

Matthew 12:43-45 KJV
[43] When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. [44] Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. [45] Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Jeremiah 32:17-19
[17] Ah Lord God ! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm(Christ), and there is nothing too hard for thee: [18] Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the Lord of hosts, is his name, [19] Great in counsel, and mighty in work: for thine eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men: to give every one according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings:

But we have HOPE:

John 14:1-4
[1] Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. [2] In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so , I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. [3] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. [4] And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

John 1:18
[18] No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
That definitely sounds inspired.

In my experience dreams can vary in degrees of inspiration. On one end of the spectrum a dream can seem very vivid and have a direct message.

On the other end the dream is normal with some sort of hidden message. It is like our spirit knows something and is trying to impress it into our minds subtlety.

Our normal dreams are influenced by what we are thinking about through the day. I figure things we hear in the spirit can influence our dreams as well. So our imagination is free to take those messages and fit them into a dream.

Some messages are beyond us though and very deep, these must be more directly dictated by God. These are also the ones that seem more vivid IMO.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are visions and dreams from God real?
I am really struggling with faith. One minute I feel strong and confident, the next I revert to that same old question of how can I be certain I am not making this all up?
I'm no expert in vissions and dream, but God is able to speak to us through them.
What I would say about visions and dreams is that they will always be in line with the bible if from God.

Questions and doubts. There is nothing wrong with having these, if anything not doing something about them is where it is wrong. Christianity is reasonable and is based on historic fact.

May I recomenr the web site coldcasechristianity. The site author is an x coldcase detective who as an atheist was challenged to use his detective skills on Christianity. He found plenty of evidence that Chrisrtianity is true, trustworthy and accurate and he is now a Christian.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a treadmill. You need not run on it, but if you do, you need not loose hope - the matter is finished. The fire has been extinguished, but the smoke still rises. Rest in Him, you are secure.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@VictoryinJesus In my experience I also ask God for confirmation of a dream.
The dream ( in my experience) is only the first line of a conversation as it were. Like Pharaoh he had the dream, but he didn't understand the dream..God gave the interpretation to Joseph.
I have never stood on just one dream or vision...

But, praise God...He still is in the dream and vision business :)
Bless you...you have a true seeking heart.
Always doubt your doubts.
If you get tossed by the enemy into doubts here and there...go back along the path and find where and why the doubt started. You wont find that it came from God, but some seed sown by the Enemy.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But, praise God...He still is in the dream and vision business
That was the 2nd. biggest surprise in finding Him, and thereby God, to be real and true......I have personally not had a dream of the Spirit, but I know a few who have, and where we have received confirmation of said dream, at a later stage....Just wonderful....I have however had visions, as has my eldest daughter and my grand son....My youngest has not ( I hope, 'as yet' )...Same thing goes here though.....Some visions, which may show things to come, must surely have confirmation...However, a vision which has Jesus speaking to you, well, that is impossible to reject, nor would I want to, but it is still wonderful, when one receives confirmation from other believers, to that which oneself takes for granted as truth.....I still to this day get just as 'bubbled up' in my spirit, when I hear again or remember any truth, which He has told me, or which I have received and gotten confirmation of, through other believers....It just doesn't seem to lose ANY of it's original impact....it's amazing that ! Most often people get less and less awed at something, once they have seen it a few times, such as an awesome nature special f.ex. , or say if you were to meet a singer you admire who is famous, at first you would be in awe, but the more you meet with them, the less 'special' it will seem......This is one of the things that is so very different with Him....The relationship with Him, is full on and full of Love and 100% with us and for us all the way, at least from Him toward us......And at no time does it become in any way 'common' to be with Him.....It is always extremely special and yet so familiar......Even the very first time I did see Him, I had this weird feeling that I had known Him all of my life, which He later showed me some things about....What an amazing Life we have been offered In Him....Bless you Helen for always making Him the focus and center...:)

Reactions: ScottA

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One of the very first dreams the Lord ever showed me, was a battlefield, with demons with swords, gutting and killing people, and in the distance was one man, dressed in a white gown, with a sword ready to run into the fight. and the Lord spoke and said, This is what the enemy is doing to my people. They are not always nice but sometimes they have to be that He can show you the truth. Pity so few are willing to take up the fight.

God bless

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But some strange things have happened to me over past couple of years until I am left with the question of: how much proof will it take?
i am familiar with this--not that i am any guide--and fwiw it seems to be a way God uses to get us to operate in the Spirit, as weird as that seems. It kind of forces you to seek evidence for God, right? You might notice how these episodes usually resolve, although yours will prolly be different, mine have resolved by engaging in some small service that presents itself as a need or something along those lines. And then it comes up again. God steps back so we can take a step forward kinda stuff.

Imo it is bc your definition of God is changing, and your faith is outgrowing your beliefs, which i don't mean were evil or bad, but more like bridges or temporary measures to get you where you are now. There is nothing wrong with questioning your definition of God imo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus In my experience I also ask God for confirmation of a dream.
The dream ( in my experience) is only the first line of a conversation as it were. Like Pharaoh he had the dream, but he didn't understand the dream..God gave the interpretation to Joseph.
I have never stood on just one dream or vision...

But, praise God...He still is in the dream and vision business :)
Bless you...you have a true seeking heart.
Always doubt your doubts.
If you get tossed by the enemy into doubts here and there...go back along the path and find where and why the doubt started. You wont find that it came from God, but some seed sown by the Enemy.

I agree with the confirmation you speak of, by another's interpretation as confirmation. Since the dream doesn't affect anyone besides my own confidence that God will answer prayers of Salvation for the two, which happen to be my two daughters, I see it as a blessing. I stopped asking for my daughters when God seemed to make it very clear that no further introductions were needed. They are my daughters but also His daughters and God knows them far more than I know them and before I knew them. Sometimes we go on and on pleading with God for someone, forgetting that God may very possibly already be working in their life as well. I no longer believe I have to plead with God to love my daughters when He loved them before the creation began. Does that make sense?

I don't say it often enough, ByGrace. Thank you for all your post. They always have an impact in a positive way.:)

kit

Mar 20, 2018
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe they are/can be real.

A few years ago I had a dream. At a time when I was typically going to bed later, I randomly went to bed early. Very soon after I had a dream that a dark figure entered my room and communicated to me that they were about to harm my friend. This woke me up and I was moved to pray for my friends safety and to speak the name of Christ to the presence in my dream. After about 20 minutes of prayer, that same friend called, having just been pushed off the highway by another car that was out of control. They were stuck in a snow bank and in shock. They hadn't even called the police yet and were moved to call me, rather then the parents they were traveling to visit who were waiting up for them.

As for being told we're insane for our Christianity, all I can say is that imo the reality of Christ is indeed rather astonishing and often makes for a strange life! lol. I'm really sorry to hear that the worlds doubt is hurting you. To me calling us "insane" is just the way secular folks affirm that our Christian walk is going well, haha.

I hope you will find peace again soon.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe they are/can be real.

A few years ago I had a dream. At a time when I was typically going to bed later, I randomly went to bed early. Very soon after I had a dream that a dark figure entered my room and communicated to me that they were about to harm my friend. This woke me up and I was moved to pray for my friends safety and to speak the name of Christ to the presence in my dream. After about 20 minutes of prayer, that same friend called, having just been pushed off the highway by another car that was out of control. They were stuck in a snow bank and in shock. They hadn't even called the police yet and were moved to call me, rather then the parents they were traveling to visit who were waiting up for them.

As for being told we're insane for our Christianity, all I can say is that imo the reality of Christ is indeed rather astonishing and often makes for a strange life! lol. I'm really sorry to hear that the worlds doubt is hurting you. To me calling us "insane" is just the way secular folks affirm that our Christian walk is going well, haha.

I hope you will find peace again soon.

I won't lie. It is not easy. God tells us to put Him first. What comes first, you naturally want to share and talk about with others around you. Because He is significant to you. People talk about what is significant to them. People love talking about their jobs, their spouses, their weekends, their achievements, their recreational activities. When God is that topic that you gravitate toward, you are insane. Then the ill-reception makes you question, if maybe you are insane. You speak and think they are going to get it and feel inspired and loved and they will want to discuss God too, but they avoid the topic of God and soon they avoid you. Which makes me wonder: am I pleasing them? Or God?

Just thinking out loud because others might feel the same way and might find some encouragement in that they are not alone.

Thank you for your post, kit. You are new. I am glad you are here!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
When God is that topic that you gravitate toward, you are insane.
imo it is important to understand that one might easily gravitate toward the topic of religion, and call it God
Then the ill-reception makes you question, if maybe you are insane.
Paul talks about this in all things to all people right? If you are ill-received, then imo all things to all people is not being correctly observed. Unfortunately we pick up a certain lexicon, manner of speaking, use of terms, that is shared by the religious, and then expect a secular person to embrace this language that is now normal to us; this is insane imo, yes.

Last edited:

kit

Mar 20, 2018
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I won't lie. It is not easy. God tells us to put Him first. What comes first, you naturally want to share and talk about with others around you. Because He is significant to you. People talk about what is significant to them. People love talking about their jobs, their spouses, their weekends, their achievements, their recreational activities. When God is that topic that you gravitate toward, you are insane. Then the ill-reception makes you question, if maybe you are insane. You speak and think they are going to get it and feel inspired and loved and they will want to discuss God too, but they avoid the topic of God and soon they avoid you. Which makes me wonder: am I pleasing them? Or God?

Just thinking out loud because others might feel the same way and might find some encouragement in that they are not alone.

Thank you for your post, kit. You are new. I am glad you are here!

Thanks for welcoming me here!

I can see how I came across as suggesting it can be easy. And I know the pain of being avoided by non-believers too. Sorry for coming across that way. It is hard. I guess I was meaning to say that 'it is painful, but on the flip side I can kinda see why they'd think that given how utterly unique the reality of Christ is.' Because the whole deal is kinda bonkers by a worldly standard: Christ's love and the mysterious way its offered is so outside of the assumptions of secular society. The reality of Christ blows my mind even as I know its true!

Im sure that you are planting seeds in many of those peoples hearts. And that is pleasing to God. Maybe also there are some aspects of Gods movement in our lives that we should just store away for ourselves and other believers that we are close too, without offering them for discussion to those who cant understand? I dunno? In todays world I believe that its considered socially acceptable for people to engage us in conversation about our faith just to look for an opportunity to try and steal it away from us and try to cast doubt.

In my life Ive noticed the when people find out that Im a Christian they'll ask "is it okay that Im not, can we still be friends?" I'll say "of course" and act no differently and all too often over the following days it becomes clear that its not alright with them. Very duplicitous. And it sure is hard and it sure does hurt.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for welcoming me here!

I can see how I came across as suggesting it can be easy. And I know the pain of being avoided by non-believers too. Sorry for coming across that way. It is hard. I guess I was meaning to say that 'it is painful, but on the flip side I can kinda see why they'd think that given how utterly unique the reality of Christ is.' Because the whole deal is kinda bonkers by a worldly standard: Christ's love and the mysterious way its offered is so outside of the assumptions of secular society. The reality of Christ blows my mind even as I know its true!

Im sure that you are planting seeds in many of those peoples hearts. And that is pleasing to God. Maybe also there are some aspects of Gods movement in our lives that we should just store away for ourselves and other believers that we are close too, without offering them for discussion to those who cant understand? I dunno? In todays world I believe that its considered socially acceptable for people to engage us in conversation about our faith just to look for an opportunity to try and steal it away from us and try to cast doubt.

In my life Ive noticed the when people find out that Im a Christian they'll ask "is it okay that Im not, can we still be friends?" I'll say "of course" and act no differently and all too often over the following days it becomes clear that its not alright with them. Very duplicitous. And it sure is hard and it sure does hurt.

Kit, not for a second did I think you were implying it is easy. I understood your post.

Reactions: kit