Was Adam Imparted Free Will From The Beginning Of Creation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very analytical. I agree jn part except that God's plan was not interupted.
I'll put it more simply. Man does not have free will. If it was free than he could do anything he wanted without judgment and penalties.
We are either a slave to God or a slave to Satan
. Furthermore if we were free, there would be no death, but the"wages of sin is death".

God put the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden because the only way man can understand and appreciate what good is, is to experience and know evil. He also put Satan in there to tempt them. I really don't think the Garden was the perfect and safe place with Satan roaming around and the possibility of death due to one bite of fruit. We needed to know evil, it was part of His plan.
The freedom Adam did have was to live, love and eat of any other food but the one forbidden. He was free to give names to all the animals and botanicals, free to be fruitful and multiply.
So we are somewhat free to experience both good and evil - but with consequences. God has rules/ laws. If there weren't any, then we would be totally free.
So the "free will" concept is kind of prideful and arrogant and those who hold it are self deceived and in a sense, holding onto to a rebellious nature. "I have the power to do this and that ... and even choose God if I want!" Or "I am the ruler of my destiny, sitting on my throne ... and do not need anyone above me ... but maybe later in life I'll consider this God above ... but for now I am free!" Foolish pride is the fundamental character flaw that leads us towards a failure in some way. If this pride is never broken, and God isn't realized in our life, then death will be the result. God chooses us. He calls us, guides us, enlightens us and enables us to believe. Faith is a gift, it is not conjured up by our own will. And it comes by the Word.
By grace you have been saved through faith, it is a gift of God, not by works so that no one can boast. That is the point, these "free will" thinking folks that think they chose God are in a sense boasting. Salvation is a gift.
Jos 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
It is irrational to say we have no choice. Man has free will. Adam chose to eat the forbidden fruit, he wasn't forced to. We all have a choice of who we will serve. No, man can't save himself and salvation is a free gift but we have to choose to accept it.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll put it more simply. Man does not have free will. If it was free than he could do anything he wanted without judgment and penalties.
We are either a slave to God or a slave to Satan
. Furthermore if we were free, there would be no death, but the"wages of sin is death".

God put the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden because the only way man can understand and appreciate what good is, is to experience and know evil. He also put Satan in there to tempt them. I really don't think the Garden was the perfect and safe place with Satan roaming around and the possibility of death due to one bite of fruit. We needed to know evil, it was part of His plan.
The freedom Adam did have was to live, love and eat of any other food but the one forbidden. He was free to give names to all the animals and botanicals, free to be fruitful and multiply.
So we are somewhat free to experience both good and evil - but with consequences. God has rules/ laws. If there weren't any, then we would be totally free.
So the "free will" concept is kind of prideful and arrogant and those who hold it are self deceived and in a sense, holding onto to a rebellious nature. "I have the power to do this and that ... and even choose God if I want!" Or "I am the ruler of my destiny, sitting on my throne ... and do not need anyone above me ... but maybe later in life I'll consider this God above ... but for now I am free!" Foolish pride is the fundamental character flaw that leads us towards a failure in some way. If this pride is never broken, and God isn't realized in our life, then death will be the result. God chooses us. He calls us, guides us, enlightens us and enables us to believe. Faith is a gift, it is not conjured up by our own will. And it comes by the Word.
By grace you have been saved through faith, it is a gift of God, not by works so that no one can boast. That is the point, these "free will" thinking folks that think they chose God are in a sense boasting. Salvation is a gift.
The funny thing about people that oppose so-called free willers is that if they are correct, there is no reason to oppose them. If I have no free will, then whatever I believe isn't me believing it in any sense whatsoever... It's actually God causing me to believe it. So arguing with us is completely pointless. We are going to believe whatever God causes us to believe regardless of any words you spew, and of course that makes your words just fizz in a bottle too, things that you have no control over, and in fact if you had no free will whatsoever it wouldn't even be you saying them.

Reactions: marks and RLT63

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Was Adam imparted free will from the beginning of Creation?
The Word of God indicates no based upon both scriptural text and context.

How can something that is so obvious, turn into such Theological confusion.
Oh, thats right....There is a DEVIL, and he is "the author of Confusion".
One of his darkest lights was John Calvin

So, if you are wondering if Adam had free will.....if Eve had free will..

#2.... Didn't the "Serpent", the Devil convince Eve to take the Apple? So, if she had no free will, could she be "CONVINCED"?
Hello?
Anyone able to think?......I think you can.

#1... "let us (God said) Create "man", in OUR IMAGE"..

So, does GOD and Pre-INcarnate CHRIST have Free will?
Yes?
Of course, and if they have it, then as they Created ADAM in Their LIKENESS (Image), He had it.

C'mon.
Just = THINK, and the Calvinism Deception becomes very CLEAR.

Reactions: RLT63

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jos 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
It is irrational to say we have no choice. Man has free will. Adam chose to eat the forbidden fruit, he wasn't forced to. We all have a choice of who we will serve. No, man can't save himself and salvation is a free gift but we have to choose to accept it.

We are able to choose good and evil but we aren't free to, there is a cost to our evil choices, so they we aren't free, God's law is there that bumps up against our will. It's like a barrier. Don't break this law, or that law or that law ... you aren't free to. There are many insignificant choices in life, but the important choice, reconciling with God, requires His assistance. He persuades us and eventually we come around and say, "Alright I accept". You think it was all you figuring it out from the start, using logic, rational thinking ... "It must have been my brilliant intellect!" It wasn't any of that. Any if us could not have reconciled with God unless He draws us first - says Jesus. We can do nothing good without Him.
He enables us to choose Him. He lifts the veil of blindness, calls us, presents His word, opens out hearts and minds and gives us faith.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are able to choose good and evil but we aren't free to, there is a cost to our evil choices, so they we aren't free, God's law is there that bumps up against our will. It's like a barrier. Don't break this law, or that law or that law ... you aren't free to. There are many insignificant choices in life, but the important choice, reconciling with God, requires His assistance. He persuades us and eventually we come around and say, "Alright I accept". You think it was all you figuring it out from the start, using logic, rational thinking ... "It must have been my brilliant intellect!" It wasn't any of that. Any if us could not have reconciled with God unless He draws us first - says Jesus. We can do nothing good without Him.
He enables us to choose Him. He lifts the veil of blindness, calls us, presents His word, opens out hearts and minds and gives us faith.
People break God's laws and sin against God, no one can deny that. Yes The Holy Spirit draws us and God enables us but we still have to make the choice.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The funny thing about people that oppose so-called free willers is that if they are correct, there is no reason to oppose them. If I have no free will, then whatever I believe isn't me believing it in any sense whatsoever... It's actually God causing me to believe it. So arguing with us is completely pointless. We are going to believe whatever God causes us to believe regardless of any words you spew, and of course that makes your words just fizz in a bottle too, things that you have no control over, and in fact if you had no free will whatsoever it wouldn't even be you saying them.

You are conflating two different things, the will and a belief. The will/volition is an act or action to perform or attain something. A belief is an acceptance of something, true or false. It is static, doesn't have to move, it's just there, it's not a bunch of choices, it is an thought or concept you accept. Then we take those beliefs and willfully act on them, live them.
You can argue with Jesus if you want though who said, "No one can come to the Father unless He draws them." So what is this drawing power do you think? I didn't say we couldn't resist this power. With many, the seed is planted in rocky or shallow soil and it isn't nourished, so it doesn't grow. We need to cooperate and respond to His calling. We are not robots and I am not a Calvinist.
The Bible does say that God draws all men to Himself. So then why don't all men get saved? They resist Him - which apparently goes against what Calvin claimed, "Irresistable Grace". You implied that I was claiming "He forces us" to believe - I say NO, He doesn't. He enables us spiritually because all men are spiritually dead. So obviuosly He must do something to quicken your dead spirit. Or do you think you can jumpstart this process all by yourself?
MY whole point was that WE ARE EITHER A SLAVE TO GOD OR A SLAVE TO SATAN. So wherever you think your free will functions in either realm, have at it.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
. Any if us could not have reconciled with God unless He draws us first - says Jesus. We can do nothing good without Him.

"faith comes by hearing"....>Not by being pre-destined to believe, having no free will to make the choice to have faith.

God sends MINISTERS to MINISTER the WORD...... to "all that call on the name of the Lord"....."

"God wills that ALL would come to Christ"... 1 Timothy 2:4

The Cross is offered to the WORLD......all people, but not everyone is going to Trust in Christ.
Its up to you, as you have free will to DECIDE.

Every Sunday, in Thousands of Churches........Protestant, there is an "alter call". = The Conviction of the Holy Spirit.
A Person like me will give the message of Redemption and the call is to "all who will believe."

There are always people who are sweating, nervous, trying to RESIST the call of God.
They KNOW its true, they KNOW they should, but they resist., = FREE WILL.
Others, dont resist..... and that is THEIR Choice.

Reactions: Renniks

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are conflating two different things, the will and a belief. The will/volition is an act or action to perform or attain something. A belief is an acceptance of something, true or false. It is static, doesn't have to move, it's just there, it's not a bunch of choices, it is an thought or concept you accept
Dude, accepting or rejecting something requires free will. And of course it's a bunch of choices.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many insignificant choices in life, but the important choice, reconciling with God, requires His assistance.
Sure it does. In fact, in some sense, every choice we ever make requires his assistance. He enables us to make choices... He doesn't make them for us.
By the way, enabling someone to do something is not the same at all as taking away their free will. Arminians believe that God enables us to believe.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure it does. In fact, in some sense, every choice we ever make requires his assistance. He enables us to make choices... He doesn't make them for us.
By the way, enabling someone to do something is not the same at all as taking away their free will. Arminians believe that God enables us to believe.
Simply, free implies no cost, no consequences, no judgment. You are free to do God's will within His law and He has forgiven you the bad choices you made. It cost Him suffering and death on the cross.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply, free implies no cost, no consequences, no judgment. You are free to do God's will within His law and He has forgiven you the bad choices you made. It cost Him suffering and death on the cross.
No, that's got nothing to do with whether free will is real or not. I suggest you look up what we mean by free will.
free will
noun
  1. The ability or discretion to choose; free choice.
  2. The power of making choices that are neither determined by natural causality nor predestined by fate or divine will.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ability or discretion to choose; free choice.
You don't understand that our choice cost something, they are not free. There is a penalty for sin. If there was no law, there would be no sin, nor slave to God, nor slave to the Devil and then you would have total free will.
The power of making choices that are neither determined by natural causality nor predestined by fate or divine will.
Power? "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing..."
I suppose Pontius Pilot had power to choose to crucify Jesus. Jesus told him he only had power that God gave him. It was purposed by God. It was actually against Pilot's will, he didn't want to, he tried to reason with the mob. He tried to bargain, I'll whip him harshly and that will be enough. I'll bargain with them, let them choose between Barabus and Jesus to be released ... Finally he washed his hands of it. It was against his will. Yet God's will was crucifixion from the beginning. He hardened their hearts. Jesus actually provoked them several times, called them a brood of vipers, threatened them with the Gehenna ...

1) “You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.” John 15:16

2) “Knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you,” 1 Thessalonians 1:4

3) “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5

4) “So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.” Colossians 3:12-13

5) “Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness.” Titus 1:1

6) “The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil.” Proverbs 16:4

7) “Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity” 2 Timothy 1:9

8) “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.” Ephesians 1:3

9)“In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.” Ephesians 1:4

10) “But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.” 2 Thessalonians 2:13

11) “For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for His own possession out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.” Deuteronomy 7:7

12) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:44

13) “Also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.” Ephesians 1:11-12

14) “For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.” Romans 8:29-30

15) "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied." 1 Peter 1, 2

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are either a slave to God or a slave to Satan. Furthermore if we were free, there would be no death, but the"wages of sin is death".

Did I write something that gave you the impression that I believe God's plan was interrupted? If yes, then please show me where in the OP it occurs. Please see post #1063 in this thread.

It is certain, like you wrote "'free will' thinking folks that think they chose God are in a sense boasting". Paul was very clear in the passage you alluded to in your closing paragraph:

By grace you have been saved through belief; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast for we are His work (Ephesians 2:8-10)

Free-willians purported "choice" is a work of man thus such a "choice" is nullified; on the other hand, believers are the work of God (Ephesians 2:8-10, John 6:29).

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said it selfish, that's all about choosing to listen to another and not God, thus Adam self will was free to choose to listen, God didn't stop Adam from doing it listening.

Is there something in your life that you don't want to own up too? are you adamant about not blaming your own free will?

You write foolish things. For example, selfish means serving oneself - even at the expense of other people.

Your selfish definition "selfish, that's all about choosing to listen to another and not God" is a LIE and @Renniks likes your DECEPTION.

"Selfish" describes a state of being.

Adam's selfishness is who Adam was - not him choosing. Behold "choosing" is absent from the Genesis account of the creation.

I do say that you, BeyondET and Renniks, have self will, and the Apostle Peter wrote of your self will with "the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge the flesh in [its] corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties" (2 Peter 2:9-10).

Believers are joyfully blessed to have the will controlled by God for the Apostle Paul wrote that a believers will and a believers work is the work of God in the believer with "it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for [His] good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

Still, no free will written in the creation account (Genesis 1:1-31 Genesis 2:1- 25 Genesis 3:1-24), with Paul in accord for he conveyed that Adam “not willingly” subjected creation to futility by eating of the tree forbidden for eating since Paul included all time prior to Paul’s birth by his writing “until now” (Romans 8:20-22).

“YHWH is righteous in all his ways and holy in all his works” (Psalm 145:17).

THE ALL KNOWING GOD (JOHN 16:30) GETS EXCLUSIVE CREDIT AND GLORY FOR MAN’S SALVATION (JOHN 3:3-8), AND MAN DOES NOTHING - NOT EVEN A CHOICE (JOHN 15:16).

The Redemption of Mankind through the Christ is certain, even before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:1-14).

"What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do" (Isaiah 46:11).

No purpose of God's can be thwarted (Job 42:2).

Just as the original post shows richly in scripture, Adam was not imparted free will, and no man thereafter was imparted free will either.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You write foolish things. For example, selfish means serving oneself - even at the expense of other people.

Your selfish definition "selfish, that's all about choosing to listen to another and not God" is a LIE and @Renniks likes your DECEPTION.

Adam's selfishness is who Adam was - not him choosing. Behold "choosing" is absent from the Genesis account of the creation.

I do say that you, BeyondET and Renniks, have self will, and the Apostle Peter wrote of your self will with "the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge the flesh in [its] corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties" (2 Peter 2:9-10).

Believers are joyfully blessed to have the will controlled by God for the Apostle Paul wrote that a believers will and a believers work is the work of God in the believer with "it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for [His] good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

Still, no free will written in the creation account (Genesis 1:1-31 Genesis 2:1- 25 Genesis 3:1-24), with Paul in accord for he conveyed that Adam “not willingly” subjected creation to futility by eating of the tree forbidden for eating since Paul included all time prior to Paul’s birth by his writing “until now” (Romans 8:20-22).

THE ALL KNOWING GOD (JOHN 16:30) GETS EXCLUSIVE CREDIT AND GLORY FOR MAN’S SALVATION (JOHN 3:3-8), AND MAN DOES NOTHING - NOT EVEN A CHOICE (JOHN 15:16).

The Redemption of Mankind through the Christ is certain, even before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:1-14).

"What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do" (Isaiah 46:11).

Just as the original post shows richly in scripture, Adam was not imparted free will, and no man thereafter was imparted free will either.
I don't know who you are referring too, it's best just to speak to me and not involve anyone else in our conversation, though it was your own free will to choose to do it

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I write something that gave you the impression that I believe God's plan was interrupted? I
My mistake. I misread post 115 sec. 3. It is impossible for man to mess up God's plan. Just one free willed person theoretically could certainly disrupt the sovereignty of God.
Every detail, with many persons involved in a synchronized series of events, orchestrated for hundreds and thousands of years, precisely leading to one single prophecy that is fulfilled just like the Bible stated. We would be amazed at how one person removed from tha scenario or just changes direction and does something else, can cause reprocushions that lead to something down the line not happening. I am speaking of significant events, however each of our lives is significant and we can look back and trace the direction we came, count the many people, events, choices we made that led us to this very day and to our salvation. Predestination is indeed mind boggling, but make no mistake, God has His hand and influence in our lives, thoughts and actions much more than we think.
We are on the same page, just a different approach.

Last edited:

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything has a context and narrative. The conversation is now over between me and you sir.

The context of "you did not choose Me, but I chose you" (Jesus, John 15:16) is that you, MatthewG, cannot choose Jesus.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know who you are referring too, it's best just to speak to me and not involve anyone else in our conversation, though it was your own free will to choose to do it

For your clarity, the response that God had me make to you in the below has "you" equal to "BeyondET" and "you" also includes "Renniks" (who liked your post).

You said it selfish, that's all about choosing to listen to another and not God, thus Adam self will was free to choose to listen, God didn't stop Adam from doing it listening.

Is there something in your life that you don't want to own up too? are you adamant about not blaming your own free will?