Was it the Will of Jesus to do the Will of his Father???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True Faith

Jul 21, 2022
Morristown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you answer that question with a yes, then you have made Jesus out to be a liar...

John 6:38 "For I have come down from heaven not to do mine own will but the will of him that sent me."

In order to answer that question you have to have actually read the Bible, more specifically Matthew - John...

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you answer that question with a yes, then you have made Jesus out to be a liar...

John 6:38 "For I have come down from heaven not to do mine own will but the will of him that sent me."

In order to answer that question you have to have actually read the Bible, more specifically Matthew - John...
It seems to me that you are contradicting yourself. And I've read the Bible.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did Jesus overcome his own will in order to do his Father's will? Can we by the power of the Holy Spirit?

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Of course they are of one mind, as it also says in Hebrews 10 this

5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:

“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’ ”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus's will was to do the Father's will. Why is this even an issue with anyone?
Matthew 26:39
He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.

Matthew 26
50 But Jesus said to him, “Friend, why have you come?”

Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and took Him. 51 And suddenly, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.

52 But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
53 Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? 54 How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?”

Christ still had options, like he said in v53, but he submitted Himself willingly to do the will of the Father.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
5 So also Christ did not glorify Himself to become High Priest, but it was He who said to Him:

“You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.”

6 As He also says in another place:

“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek”;

7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, 10 called by God as High Priest “according to the order of Melchizedek,” 11 of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

God the Father raised up Christ the Son, by the Fathers own power, as death could not hold Him, being the resurrection and the life

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ACTS 2
22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.

25 For David says concerning Him:

‘I foresaw the Lord always before my face,

For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.

26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad;
Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.

27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

28 You have made known to me the ways of life;
You will make me full of joy in Your presence.’

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was it the Will of Jesus to do the Will of his Father???
OP ^

Akin to asking did God (who is Omnipresent)...
While on Earth, (the footstool of Heaven), being called the Son;
Do on Earth, the Will of God, (sitting in Heaven, His Throne), being called the Father.

Duh, same ONE God doing the same ONE will!
The ONE one seen on Earth, teaching, preaching, exalting the unseen God IN Heaven!

Heb 1:
[1] God said;
[5] For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

WHEN?
When will God be to him A Father?
When will he be to God A Son?

Acts 13:
[
33] God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

WHAT day?
John 1:
[32] And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
[33] And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
[34] And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.